Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I would be interested on your riposte to my comments above, sir. 

This one:

"Maybe. But who here is going to be shocked if they drop a game to one of those teams? They’ve barely beaten Arkansas the last 3 years. And that’s not some fluke of final score, I watched every one of those games. I remember them getting smoked by Shea fucking Patterson true freshman debut as well, ages ago. Shea “I can’t throw in the field of play” Patterson. aTm plays down to their competition pretty consistently."?

Well:

Arkansas - Who the hell knows why we play Arkansas like shit.  On the plus side, we beat them every time.  On the other hand, other than a couple of times in the last number of years, it's been way too close.  We way out-talent them.  Maybe it's Jerryworld.  I'm always at a loss with that game.

Ole Miss - We've beat them the past three years.  Again, games were closer than I'd like.  And based on what I've seen from Jimbo, we probably won't beat up on them until a bunch of talent is on the roster and developed.  Clock management for the past few.  I don't see them going anywhere, though, with Lane Kiffen.

Miss State - We beat them last year, but got piss-pounded the 3 before that.  We make their no-name QB's heisman contenders.  Some of that was Sumlin and Chavis' trash defense, especially against the run.  I'll be curious to see what the pirate can do-- love that guy.

I'm not sure if it was legitimately playing down until last year.  Before that (but after Johnny), we just fielded lousy teams.  Did a little with a lot, generally.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I hope that every last aggie fan jumps to your site just to get away from the over-moderated, State-Run, Pravda-esque, sunshine only, bullshit that were the only options before. 

Quite frankly I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Why people pay money to post in that environment is completely beyond me.

Because they're morons.  It's not complicated.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

This one:

"Maybe. But who here is going to be shocked if they drop a game to one of those teams? They’ve barely beaten Arkansas the last 3 years. And that’s not some fluke of final score, I watched every one of those games. I remember them getting smoked by Shea fucking Patterson true freshman debut as well, ages ago. Shea “I can’t throw in the field of play” Patterson. aTm plays down to their competition pretty consistently."?

Well:

Arkansas - Who the hell knows why we play Arkansas like shit.  On the plus side, we beat them every time.  On the other hand, other than a couple of times in the last number of years, it's been way too close.  We way out-talent them.  Maybe it's Jerryworld.  I'm always at a loss with that game.

Ole Miss - We've beat them the past three years.  Again, games were closer than I'd like.  And based on what I've seen from Jimbo, we probably won't beat up on them until a bunch of talent is on the roster and developed.  Clock management for the past few.  I don't see them going anywhere, though, with Lane Kiffen.

Miss State - We beat them last year, but got piss-pounded the 3 before that.  We make their no-name QB's heisman contenders.  Some of that was Sumlin and Chavis' trash defense, especially against the run.  I'll be curious to see what the pirate can do-- love that guy.

I'm not sure if it was legitimately playing down until last year.  Before that (but after Johnny), we just fielded lousy teams.  Did a little with a lot, generally.

I mean, that's all fine and good, whether I entirely agree or not. But your initial comment to me was that I wasn't tethered to reality for suggesting you would struggle in several of these games. And now you and I have illustrated a history where you do in fact struggle in these games...and that's before they got offensive upgrades at the HC spot. HOw exactly was my initial statement absurd, again? Because I and now you have laid out my argument. What's the support (other than your hope and expectations) for my take being insane?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Arky and scar:  we’ve always beaten them so we always will. Worst case is it’s closer than it should be. 
msu:  they beat us when we had a bad run defense. Now we have a good run defense so they won’t beat us anymore. 
om:  kiffin sucks so we won’t lose to them. 

there it is. Not terribly complex. 

as an aside, my phone autocorrected kiffin to loggins, which I thought was adorable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, that's all fine and good, whether I entirely agree or not. But your initial comment to me was that I wasn't tethered to reality for suggesting you would struggle in several of these games. And now you and I have illustrated a history where you do in fact struggle in these games...and that's before they got offensive upgrades at the HC spot. HOw exactly was my initial statement absurd, again? Because I and now you have laid out my argument. What's the support (other than your hope and expectations) for my take being insane?

While I may agree that Ole Miss/MSU/Arkansas might be on the upswing with better coaching- do the current rosters of those teams give you any confidence? I ask that sincerely since I don't follow them. 

Just now, Enchubben said:

While I may agree that Ole Miss/MSU/Arkansas might be on the upswing with better coaching- do the current rosters of those teams give you any confidence? I ask that sincerely since I don't follow them. 

Their rosters are about as mediocre as they have always been recently and the games are close. So do they matter, or can scheme be enough? For fuck's sake, Arkansas was driving to tie or win last year with like a minute half left in the game. 

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

All 3 of those teams have better QB's easily than last year.

Franks is no world beater, but he's way better than the scrubs Arky has sent out the last few years.  They also have real good WR's.

The MSU QB last year, while just a freshman, wasn't a good passed.  Costello may be the highest rated QB Leach has ever had to run his system.

Ole Miss QB should be better in year 2.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Ole Miss and MSU have better talent than Arkie, but we've passed them up.  I'm very confident about those this year.  Frankly, we should embarrass all three, just considering the talent level, a veteran (although still very underwhelming) QB, Jimbo getting "his guys", and now having coaching shakeups at all of those places.  Will it happen?  Who knows.

Just now, jordanaggie said:

Ole Miss and MSU have better talent than Arkie, but we've passed them up.  I'm very confident about those this year.  Frankly, we should embarrass all three, just considering the talent level, a veteran (although still very underwhelming) QB, Jimbo getting "his guys", and now having coaching shakeups at all of those places.  Will it happen?  Who knows.

So, they are terrible, you should win convincingly?

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So, they are terrible, you should win convincingly?

EDIT: Arkansas has been terrible; the Miss schools have been up and down.  I suspect they'll all be better than last year.

We should, yes.  Will we?  I have my doubts.

Our offense still struggles.  Why?  Mond is lousy, especially on the road.  The OL plays like a bunch of scared, converted TEs.  Spiller has a little more experience, so hopefully the running game isn't a liability.  The WRs should be better, but other than Ausbon and Wydermyer (TE), there isn't much experience.  We have recruited more speed in Ainais Smith, Demas and Achane, so I'm optimistic about getting more diversified play calling.  We'll see.

I'm really not worried about the defense, at all.

Edited by jordanaggie

10 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Mississippi State is the more physical football team. That's why they continue to beat aggy h2h. 

Everyone in the SEC goes on about Dan Mullen and what a great football coach he is and he is a good coach. The thing is, anyone who has been around the BigXII for any length of time ought to recognize the recipe - it's a direct lift from the Purple Wizard. Mullen takes the talented guys that are off-the-field risks, attitude issues, grade risks, etc .. and combines them with 3* guys who fit a physical style and physical profile. Sometimes it works and he throws out a good season, often it falls apart. At MSU the expectations are limited so only going above .500 in conference once in an entire decade was ok for their fan base. I expect at UF that he won't be able to have those "off" years. 

A mobile QB that can get to the edge on an RPO has been aggy's kryptonite and that's why they have mostly been non-competitive against those Mullens teams. How many times has Purple Wizard simply run QB power with a big "QB" or pushed the edge on RPO's with a fast QB and kept his offense to 4-5 plays for an entire game? Ditto Mullens. 

I actually think MSU think going away from that could help aggy, if Leach and Moo State struggle with quick 3-and-outs, Jimbo will slow that fucking game down to a crawl and not take a snap with more than 2 seconds left on the clock and see if he can get out with a W. If Elko can do enough to disrupt the quick hitters AND hold the edge vs Kylin Hill, then they have a good shot. If Hill can get the edge, then the ags will have to help with contain, that will lead to open slants and Shavers won't have to know how to run a route. it's just catch and go... and Leach will pour it on like no one else. 

It's going to be interesting to see how that matchup evolves and changes as Mullen guys go out and Leach guys go in. Each of the next 3 seasons the game will look completely different, imho. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Mississippi State is the more physical football team. That's why they continue to beat aggy h2h. 

Everyone in the SEC goes on about Dan Mullen and what a great football coach he is and he is a good coach. The thing is, anyone who has been around the BigXII for any length of time ought to recognize the recipe - it's a direct lift from the Purple Wizard. Mullen takes the talented guys that are off-the-field risks, attitude issues, grade risks, etc .. and combines them with 3* guys who fit a physical style and physical profile. Sometimes it works and he throws out a good season, often it falls apart. At MSU the expectations are limited so only going above .500 in conference once in an entire decade was ok for their fan base. I expect at UF that he won't be able to have those "off" years. 

A mobile QB that can get to the edge on an RPO has been aggy's kryptonite and that's why they have mostly been non-competitive against those Mullens teams. How many times has Purple Wizard simply run QB power with a big "QB" or pushed the edge on RPO's with a fast QB and kept his offense to 4-5 plays for an entire game? Ditto Mullens. 

I actually think MSU think going away from that could help aggy, if Leach and Moo State struggle with quick 3-and-outs, Jimbo will slow that fucking game down to a crawl and not take a snap with more than 2 seconds left on the clock and see if he can get out with a W. If Elko can do enough to disrupt the quick hitters AND hold the edge vs Kylin Hill, then they have a good shot. If Hill can get the edge, then the ags will have to help with contain, that will lead to open slants and Shavers won't have to know how to run a route. it's just catch and go... and Leach will pour it on like no one else. 

It's going to be interesting to see how that matchup evolves and changes as Mullen guys go out and Leach guys go in. Each of the next 3 seasons the game will look completely different, imho. 

This is a good take.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Mullen takes the talented guys that are off-the-field risks, attitude issues, grade risks, etc .. and combines them with 3* guys who fit a physical style and physical profile.

He's taking a lot of those same off-the-field risks in Gainesville too. Looks like its working.

Aggy doesn't have the online that they built under Sherman and Sumlin inherited.  Maybe Stowers can flee the pocket or they roll him out like Mond, and maybe he can fling it with more control.  However, their rb has also taken a big step back.  That offense could implode and certainly won't strike fear in anybody.  Their WRs and TE should be fine.  That defense is meh and their CBs won't suffer because they're in the SEC, which they won't win anyways.  But it's a changing.  Wonder if a fall layoff gives coaches like Kiffen and Leach more time to implement their offenses.  

also, South Carolina is fucking terrible. Muschamp is one of the worst HC in college football. Talk about dodging a fucking bullet, that meathead is the fucking worst. 

UGA should've disbanded their program after that loss last year. That was an absolute abomination. 

2 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

He's taking a lot of those same off-the-field risks in Gainesville too. Looks like its working.

The issue is that it's looks like it's working right up until the moment it becomes a disaster.

See the 2006 Miami Hurricanes and the FIU brawl game with the questionable roster that Coker had assembled. Coker was 53-9 in 5 seasons heading into that fateful season, the wheels fell completely off --- they lost 6 games got into the brawl and have gone through 6 coaches and had exactly one 10 win season since that year. Colorado went from competing for MNC with a bunch of actual gang members to an also-ran that has never recovered. 

19 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Damnit! This is one of those times that I REALLY wish this site had that feature like on reddit where you can mark posts for a  reminder on a specific day in the future.

19 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

This is the kind of posting that makes one a 2%er at Texags and aggy24/7?

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The issue is that it's looks like it's working right up until the moment it becomes a disaster.

See the 2006 Miami Hurricanes and the FIU brawl game with the questionable roster that Coker had assembled. Coker was 53-9 in 5 seasons heading into that fateful season, the wheels fell completely off --- they lost 6 games got into the brawl and have gone through 6 coaches and had exactly one 10 win season since that year. Colorado went from competing for MNC with a bunch of actual gang members to an also-ran that has never recovered. 

So what’s our excuse?  Too many good kids who graduate?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

"Muschamp hates Aggy, he's obsessed with winning that game. He'll finally get over the hump this season" is the most shameful of our Aggy Schadenfreude Wishcasting. 

Don't forget about aggie Chad being spurned by his alma mater and will get his revenge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So what’s our excuse?  Too many good kids who graduate?

We had an AD who allowed a coach to basically quit on the job with no repercussion and Texas followed that by hiring the worst coach in our entire history, a coach that went on to get fired from USF after being the worst coach in their history. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

It takes Mike Leach a while to get his system going. At both Tech and Washington State, it took a couple years. Could it be because he took over two dogshit teams? Possibly. But Miss. State wasn't exactly good last year, but better than WSU when he took over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Damnit! This is one of those times that I REALLY wish this site had that feature like on reddit where you can mark posts for a  reminder on a specific day in the future.

Screenshot it.  Look, use 247, the composite, or whatever you'd like-- we have more talent on the roster than those schools right now.  It's not really a secret that Arkie has no talent, and that Miss State and Ole Miss are ahead of them.  I also thought it was pretty clear that we've been recruiting better than them all since 2016.  Is anyone disputing that?  Feel free to look it up: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/.  So I guess my point stands, we SHOULD embarrass all three this year.  Now, as yall have pointed out, that recruiting hasn't translated to a whole lot, yet. 

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

We had an AD who allowed a coach to basically quit on the job with no repercussion and Texas followed that by hiring the worst coach in our entire history, a coach that went on to get fired from USF after being the worst coach in their history. 

Lol I know the feeling.  At least yours didn't sign an extension after "coaching" a Heisman winner.  We were blessed with Kevin Sumlin for 4 years too long, at least.  I really thought Charlie would do well for you when you signed him.  Proved me wrong, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

I'm really not worried about the defense, at all.

I'm not going to predict any kind of giant doom and gloom for your defense because I think between Jimbo's clock burning and it's marriage to Elko's containment of the interior running game, it's a good match - but I think there's a lot of logic in being trepidatious about the D after seeing what Auburn did to Elko schematically and then adding Leach and Briles to the opposite sidelines. I don't think they have the horses to do what Auburn did fully but you can be sure that both of those staffs have had that game on repeat and watched the way that Gus used Elko's oversized DL against itself by consistently reaching the edge using counters, jet sweeps, and speed mismatches. 

1 minute ago, jordanaggie said:

I also thought it was pretty clear that we've been recruiting better than them all since 2016.

You have and you do have far more talent than any of those 3 teams, but there is one caveat and it's kind of a big one, not so much now but for your mindset in 2021 for sure. That abomination of a 2018 class will cause depth issues across the board, some having impact this year but much more in 2021 and 2022. Injuries will become a MUCH larger deal, esp along the LOS or at CB. It's also imperitive that you keep Elko and/or Robinson so that there isn't an OOS exodus because even 3-4 guys along with the entire lack of 2018 guys will absolutely cripple a 2-deep and force a ton of TR FR on the field. It took Texas 10-12 years to overcome the roster problems at OL because of a similar situation. No exaggeration. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Don't forget the part where we hired the worst AD in the history of the school, which led to our entire athletic department being essentially leaderless for about 5 years. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jordanaggie said:

Screenshot it.  Look, use 247, the composite, or whatever you'd like-- we have more talent on the roster than those schools right now.  It's not really a secret that Arkie has no talent, and that Miss State and Ole Miss are ahead of them.  I also thought it was pretty clear that we've been recruiting better than them all since 2016.  Is anyone disputing that?  Feel free to look it up: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/.  So I guess my point stands, we SHOULD embarrass all three this year.  Now, as yall have pointed out, that recruiting hasn't translated to a whole lot, yet. 

2016? You've recruited better than Mississippi State every year for as far as I was willing to go back. You are still 1-3 against them in the last 4, 2-4 against them in the last 6, and have only beaten them once in Starkville since joining the SEC and you needed Manziel at QB to do that.

2020 A&M #6, MSU #28

2019  A&M #4, MSU #24

2018 A&M  #17, MSU #27

2017 A&M #13, MSU #24

2016 A&M #18, MSU #28

2015 A&M #11, MSU #18

2014 A&M #5, MSU #36

2013 A&M #9, MSU #24

2012 A&M #16, MSU # 22

2011 A&M #34, MSU #41

• Hook 'Em 1

So I guess my point stands, we SHOULD embarrass all three this year.  

I haz confuse.  So you're admitting that both your OOC as well as your in conference schedule is easy as shit?  That's unpossible.  Those teams are in the juggernaut SECSECSEC, no?

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I haz confuse.  So you're admitting that both your OOC as well as your in conference schedule is easy as shit?  That's unpossible.  Those teams are in the juggernaut SECSECSEC, no?

I know you hate them, but plenty of national writers think aggy will be bonafide good this year. Therefore, they should beat the average-to-poor teams on their schedule.

The argument is over whether aggy will live up to their ranking, not whether the Mississippi schools are decent.

27 minutes ago, Scholz said:

OK aggys are awesome.  Got it.  Oh wait, Mond is still their QB.

I'm just laughing at the fraud that is the SEC.  Those 4 teams are mediocre to bad every single year and aggys want to be lauded for beating them.

It's all part of the "sec grind".  There's never a moment to rest!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

It's easier this year than it has been, but not easier than shit.  There is a pretty big divide in many conferences, and I wouldn't project the SEC to be an exception.  Specifically, Bama and LSU should be incredibly difficult.  Auburn should be difficult.  Others in conference should be pretty easy wins, depending on Leach and Kiffin's abilities to motivate their groups.  So what's that mean?  It's really difficult to win against the best, and not that hard to beat the worst, unless you're referring to Arkansas, in which case it's always too difficult.

In the big 12, I'd put Oklahoma in that top category, probably you guys in the Auburn category, osu/baylor/tech/isu in the next rung, and everyone else after that (admittedly having no clue how the bottom half of the big 12 will look this year).

A), I agree that you only have 3 tough games on your schedule.

B), I like how you put KSU in the “bottom” of the Big XII. Didn’t they go into Starkville and win just last year? Didn’t they handle you a few years ago?

C), TCU would give you trouble as would WVU. These “bottom” Big XII teams are tough. Only bad team of our 10 is KU. Your league has many more than that.

Edited by Scholz
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's easier this year than it has been, but not easier than shit.  There is a pretty big divide in many conferences, and I wouldn't project the SEC to be an exception.  Specifically, Bama and LSU should be incredibly difficult.  Auburn should be difficult.  Others in conference should be pretty easy wins, depending on Leach and Kiffin's abilities to motivate their groups.  So what's that mean?  It's really difficult to win against the best, and not that hard to beat the worst, unless you're referring to Arkansas, in which case it's always too difficult.

In the big 12, I'd put Oklahoma in that top category, probably you guys in the Auburn category, osu/baylor/tech/isu in the next rung, and everyone else after that (admittedly having no clue how the bottom half of the big 12 will look this year).

By your classification, you put Ok State in the "easy wins" category.

You were behind by 14, and beat them by 3 points, last year.  When they were playing without Wallace and Sanders (for practical purposes).  This year, they have Sanders, Wallace and Hubbard back.

You think you beat them easily?

I’d put you in the category of Miss St.  Same colors, same town, etc

I'd like to respond too all these, but with respect to us squeaking by and/or losing to teams mentioned in the past, sure. I mean we shit the bed and almost lost to osu. If you want to talk about kansas and maryland, I'm open to it. The fact of the matter is, college football is a crap shoot. We play bad, we play good (far less than I'd like). You play bad, you play good. I believe it's harder to win 10 games in the secw than the big 12. I'm sure you disagree. God bless college football.

• Like 1