Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

Marcus Burris was a longtime A&M lean before Oklahoma worked really hard this spring to change that. He was very close to committing to the Sooners, but decided to hold off. Now, the Aggies have worked their back into a tie at the top. Texas is also on his public top three but the Longhorns are not likely to land take him.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Marcus Burris was a longtime A&M lean before Oklahoma worked really hard this spring to change that. He was very close to committing to the Sooners, but decided to hold off. Now, the Aggies have worked their back into a tie at the top. Texas is also on his public top three but the Longhorns are not likely to land take him.

Are they sure it was that he backed off from committing to OU and not the other way around?

37 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Can't figure things out with Burris.  Staff must be confident in his recovery efforts and future durability.  I'm not sure I am--achilles injuries suck. 

TSRH.

Achilles are rough — especially on big dudes. I will say that Schmidt is a shitfuck human being but he knows S&C. If Burris ignores the racism and doesn’t mind eating a few servings of his own vomit — Schmidt can absolutely wring what athleticism he has back out.

its been a weird recruitment from the drop, the injury just exacerbates it. 

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

because in an effort to lift up several questionable takes - they downplayed the Texas OL class ad nauseam - the aggy reporters at both TexAgs and aggy247 went on and on about the lack of size in the Texas class compared to the aggy class. The lack of SEC size. So to them you compare the two classes h2h and ignore Jefferson. Akinola, Bankhead, and Chibuzo are simply SEC SIZE. Clearly better. It was beat into them for an entire cycle. There's no logical world where a 4 man class of Majors, Karic, Parr, and Garth is "awful" or even "average". 

they do this despite seeing Tank Jenkins, Barton Clement, et al flame out because they can't fucking move. These are EXACTLY the same type of guys that made such a fucking mess of the FSU OL. That fucking asshole Henson is trying to fix it. goddamn it. 

*** Note I did not include Morris as he is damn good and not a member of Cube4Life

Do these fuck heads think that 18 year old kids are done with physical growth? It's even more hilarious that this staff took 2 unheralded 3 stars from UH and OSU, and is about to put both in the NFL 4 years later. One will likely get chosen in the Top 10.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Yeah, the only team recruiting Burris right now is aggy. OU passed and Texas never put much effort into recruiting him. He will be moved to TE after he loses all his explosion from injury like another DL recruit aggy got.

Like the roller coaster - it appears it's time for aggy to anoint the next QB and begin the hatred of the entrenched SR QB 

Tarp :: One freshman I keep hearing about

...is former Longview quarterback Haynes King. It's not necessarily based on what people have seen of him throwing the football because the players are going through walk throughs and lifting/conditioning. However, he's making a big impression in three areas.

First, during drills, he's one of the fastest and most athletic guys on the team...and given how the Aggies have upgraded their recruiting over the past couple of seasons, that's really saying something. He gets through the drills quickly and you can tell that he is a fluid athlete by watching him change direction or stop and start. King looks like someone who was a multi-sport athlete in high school and played baseketball and ran track at a relatively high level.

Second, A&M players were doing zoom meetings with their position coaches during the time that they were not allowed to be on campus and have been going through meetings and walk thrus since their return. King has amazed teammates with how fast he has picked up the playbook during these sessions. Of course, King is the son of a successful high school coach in the state of Texas but he is also smart as he had to run a diversified offense in high school that included elements both from under center and out of the gun. You saw some of this at The Opening the summer before his senior year of high school ball in terms of translating what he was being told and then quickly applying it to the next throw or making plays in clutch situations. It takes a lot to be absorb all of those items but he's considered to be farther along at this stage of his career than some of the other guys that A&M has brought in during recent years.

Finally, King is an extremely hard worker. He's earned a good rep in that regard so far and putting in the extra hours both on the field and off of it.

Now, I don't know yet how that will translate into this season yet because you've got senior Kellen Mond as the established starter and Zach Calzada already has a year of some game experience and a big time arm. Nonetheless, King has a lot of attributes that translate well to the football field and it sounds like that even if A&M decides to redshirt him that he's arrived in College Station ahead of schedule in terms of his maturity which may enable him to make up ground on other players when the time comes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

“WR” Shadrach Banks and “S” Kendal Daniels might be a decent LB haul 

Not gonna lie, that would be a REALLY good LB duo.

I'd take them both over Kaci Seegars and Kenneth Phillips. It's really weird that Elko is such a size queen all over the board and then takes 2 LBs that are smaller than most of his CB room. 

• Hook 'Em 1

the King thread is going as expected ::

9866513.gif?width=600&fit=bounds

Daddy :: 

#the king is coming
Other qbs are playing footsy with pennies at a statue while freshman were working

Karen :: 

King is the Natty QB. Jimbo's White Jameis without the stupid stuff.

JohnnyBoy_CFB ::

He will be the starter in 2021 as a red shirt freshman and much like jameis winston did his redshirt fresh year, he will win a natty

Clearly he hasn't seen the OL depth chart for 2021

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I still remember watching King play whatever televised game it was last year and just sucking so much ass. Sucking on a level that no D1 player ever should regardless of the competition. Throwing multiple interceptions and getting sacked constantly.  That was maybe my favorite game I saw in 2019. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

the King thread is going as expected ::

Daddy :: 

Karen :: 

JohnnyBoy_CFB ::

Clearly he hasn't seen the OL depth chart for 2021

Daddy98 tying King being the new freshman savior into not going to the BLM/Sully protests is *chef's kiss*

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I still remember watching King play whatever televised game it was last year and just sucking so much ass. Sucking on a level that no D1 player ever should regardless of the competition. Throwing multiple interceptions and getting sacked constantly.  That was maybe my favorite game I saw in 2019. 

John Tyler

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Like the roller coaster - it appears it's time for aggy to anoint the next QB and begin the hatred of the entrenched SR QB 

Tarp :: One freshman I keep hearing about

are his track times "fairly high level"?

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=11374800

Edited by NoName

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

In case anyone wants a refresher on what King's Senior season looked like compared to his Junior:

image.png.d563c4b8848b3c1591a4e0ff40fd74b8.png

to be fair they lost a ton of talent between the two teams

at the same time, averaging 166.3 passing yards a game is pretty fucking bad. and he looked really bad per people who watched multiple games there. dropping by almost 2000 yards passing year over year is...

disgusted steve carell GIF

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

In case anyone wants a refresher on what King's Senior season looked like compared to his Junior:

image.png.d563c4b8848b3c1591a4e0ff40fd74b8.png

Those aren't the numbers from a player that made those around him better.  That's a big regression.  Did they lose o-line from the year before?  King must have tore up the camp circuit.  Good thing he's playing in the SECSECSEC where qbs aren't asked to do much. And where did 247 derive this:

896803704_ScreenShot2020-08-07at12_36_11PM.png.14933528829694e25f3b9662ac3eac19.png

11 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

King must have tore up the camp circuit.

He had a great run in state in 7on7 and at The Opening - esp in 7on7. Just killed it. His HS team lost a ton of talent from the JR year to SR year. The more worrying outing came at the UnderArmor AA practices and games where he really struggled in that offense, which asked much more of it's QBs. To be fair in the game his OL was garbage and he was running for his life (3 of 12 for 48 yards) but in the practices leading up - he had trouble making the throws in the offense against air.  Several of the QBs in attendance struggled to make the throws outside of the wide hashes etc (save for Hudson Card and Drew Pyne). 

King is honestly a lot like Case McCoy not only in the face - but in his game, Although King has elite athleticism 4.5 40 - 4.02 shuttle - 37" vert. He can move better than Case but like Case he looks more comfortable on a short roll, moving the pocket and giving his WRs a chance to work. He can deliver on time and on target as long as it's not something that requires a lot of arm strength to drive the ball. He has very little arm strength for a guy with some elite athleticism. His infamous hail mary last year traveled all of 35-40 yards. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Actually I keep thinking about it - an even better comparison is Austin Davis. if you guys watched USM under Fedora/Blake Anderson with Austin Davis - that's A LOT like what you could do really well with King. Let his feet in the RPO game keep forcing their contain, a lot of quick hitters and screen game - a deep rainbow to run under from RPO action. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. He could probably kill it in that kind of system. 

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Actually I keep thinking about it - an even better comparison is Austin Davis. if you guys watched USM under Fedora/Blake Anderson with Austin Davis - that's A LOT like what you could do really well with King. Let his feet in the RPO game keep forcing their contain, a lot of quick hitters and screen game - a deep rainbow to run under from RPO action. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. He could probably kill it in that kind of system. 

So almost the opposite of Jimbo's philosophy.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

King's arm looked stronger as a junior, which had me wondering if he was nursing an injury.

This is my thought as well. He showed enough zip at the Opening 7on7 stuff to have adequate arm strength but that SR year was hard to look at. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

King's arm looked stronger as a junior, which had me wondering if he was nursing an injury. Maybe he puts more gas on it when he knows where he's going with the ball and has a clean pocket?

I vaguely remember many people saying he had a shoulder or rib injury through much of his senior season, but I'm not sure it was ever confirmed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Their recruiting social media is always....just wow

A mountain? with a Texas flag on it? Is it snowing?

Seriously, do they have middle schoolers working there?

Their graphic designer is literally one of those recruit edit dudes. Jimbo is too old and set in his ways to think much about social media, so he was like "that seems fine".