Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

Brian Perroni: GigEm247 recruiting chat

Any potential decommits we have to keep an eye out for?

Victory Vaka had long talked about still taking his official visits. But, I'm not sure those will be allowed with this class. He has said he still planned to sign with A&M, even with the visit plans. And he has been even more adamant lately, so I think he's good. Shadrach Banks, Auburn is still working on him really hard, trying to get him to join Dematrius Davis with the Tigers. The two are best friends and actually more like brothers. But, Dameyune Craig is doing a really good job there of making sure he continues to feel wanted. And I've had multiple people around North Shore tell me they expect him to stick with A&M, Banks also says he is solid.

Perroni, any chatter with recruits on how the conference support to have football has them considering that as a factor in their choice. It seems early but if I am a recruit aware of what is happening the Big and Pac 12 would scare me due to their uncertainty.

With it being such a new topic, not really. I was actually talking to Tunmise Adeleye on Sunday right after the news came out that the Big Ten could cancel the season. At that point, it was not a big deal to him because it seemed like others would follow suit, should the Big Ten actually do it. But, if one or more P5 conferences cancel and the SEC plays, I'm guessing you'll see it have somewhat of an effect for sure as the prospects see who is serious about football.

Any late surprise commits? Or guys we haven't heard much about?

Not necessarrily. A&M is keeping in touch with a few under-the-radar guys like safety Tysheem Johnson out of Philadelphia, athlete Yulkeith Brown out of Miami, defensive tackle Jerrell Boykins Jr. out of Louisiana and running back Joseph McKay from Alabama. They could emerge as bigger targets depending on how the rest of the board shakes out. But, having covered Fisher for three signing classes already, there will almost assuredly be a late guy or two that A&M was not on before that end up in the class. They just haven't emerged yet this class.

Has LJ cooled on us?

No. I still like my Crystal Ball pick but it was never a done deal with him. And other schools are working really, really hard. Texas is the one that is making a lot of movement and he likes the Longhorn coaches. I still think it's going to be the Aggies but he is not in any hurry and all three of Texas, LSU and Auburn are keeping it interesting. A&M is not counting its chickens and that is a reason they are still recruiting Byron Cardwell out of San Diego as well as Joseph McKay from Alabama.

Is LJ hearing more from A&M these days since he said in the last article he hears from other schools more. Foster still leaning OU?

A&M is doing a good job with LJ. And Tommie Robinson has been in contact a lot. LJ talks about the other schools, saying there are in contact a lot, because it was not always the case. LSU and Texas have both turned up the heat, so it's a noticeable difference to him. Bryce Foster does not plan to announce until the final day of the Early Signing Period, which is his 18th birthday. Oklahoma is still in good position, yes. But I still like all the factors that A&M has going with him with the family connections, the distance and the familiar faces on the team. Another top recruit committed elsewhere recently said he thought Foster would end up at A&M. It is going to be really though, though. Oklahoma has Bill Bedenbaugh, who Foster really likes and who is seen as one of the best OL coaches in the game. A&M needs to win this year for sure. Also, if there are no official visits allowed, that will hurt Oregon as the Ducks remain in it as well.

Who is our first 2022 commit?

I honestly don't know. I would have guessed Bobby Taylor but he wants to wait until before his senior season now. He changes his mind a lot, so he could still be a possibility. But then, it could also be a QB if Fisher decides to offer someone like Cade Klubnik. I don't think Kelvin Banks is going to rush into another decision but I also don't want to discount him maybe shutting things down earlier than he had planned. Then you have Armani Winfield, who likes both A&M and OU. He has been going through the process since early his freshman year, so he could decide to end things early, especially with other receivers coming off the board.

What are you hearing on Shemar Turner?

I know A&M feels pretty good about where it stands. And there are a couple people close to him that say A&M is in good shape as well. But I think he is still open between A&M, Alabama and Texas. Terry Price is doing a really good job there and I would say the Aggies are in as good a shape as the other two, if not slightly better. It's still going to be a long process with him, though.

Monkell Goodwine?

Goodwine is not Zach Evans, but he's got a little bit of that in him. He has been all over the place and even the info coming out in the past two weeks has been all over the place. A&M and Alabama have long both been in good shape but, at one point, it did not look like the Tide were going to push for him. That was obviously good news for the Aggies. Alabama is now definitely pushing, though. And with his decision coming up this Saturday, that is probably where he is going to choose. But nobody has been told outright and he is still in contact with A&M, Clemson and Kentucky. We should have a better idea closer to the weekend but, right now, I would say Alabama is likely. But, with him, nothing is surprising. He could commit to a team not in his top 5 and I would only be mildly surprised.

Terrion Arnold lol

I still don't think he is likely. Alabama and the two in-state schools of Florida and Florida State are in the best shape. Arnold wants to visit A&M but officials would have to be allowed at some point.

Yes or No answers each on “Will we get Foster.....how about Johnson....Turner?” As of today’s best guess....sure want three “yes”s” from each of you :)

LJ Johnson, I'll go with yes. Bryce Foster and Shemar Turner, I definitely can't give you an answer.

What does the RB and WR big board look like for the class of 2020?

Demond Demas is at the top as far as WR. At RB, I bet they sign three and then get a JUCO guy to blueshirt. In all seriousness about 2021, it's LJ Johnson and Amari Daniels with Byron Cardwell and Ahmonte Watkins after that with each spot, respectively. Wide receiver, it is JoJo Earle and then JJ Henry. I don't think A&M is sure who is after that.

When are y'all changing your CB's on Marcus Burris to A&M? And when is he pulling the trigger?

Burris has said he wants to announce in August, but it would probably be late in the month. I've been told by two people that Oklahoma is still after him hard and that he really likes both schools. But, something held him off from committing to Oklahoma and A&M did a good job of getting back in this. I'm leaning toward A&M but I'm not ready to make a call just quite yet.

Who is your favorite recruit (both to talk to and ability) committed somewhere else?

Tunmise Adeleye is great to talk to. He also really keeps up with recruiting a ton so he knows what seemingly every school is doing. LJ Johnson is a really nice kid and is always open with what he says.

Do you see another corner or a safety jointing this class?

There will be at least 5 DBs. I think MJ Daniels is the most likely and, though he's being recruited as a corner, he could also play safety.

How many SDE/5-Techs do we sign this cycle? I think Mowry and Diggs can both play that position but we don’t have anyone on the roster currently besides Leal that can play in that 285-295 lb range and still athletic enough to be on the edge.

Burris, Adeleye, Turner, Crownover and Goodwine could all fit the bill, though Burris and Turner could eventually end up inside. I think there will probably be two SDEs signed.

Brian, hypothetically our second wr isn’t Earle, Henry, or Bonner. Who would you say we would have the best shot at landing from a mutual interest standpoint?

I'm not sure they would absolutely have to sign somebody in that case. They want pure speed so, if they can't get someone fitting that bill, I don't think a second wide receiver is a must.

Why is Foster included in most A&M projects if the momentum remains with OU?

Bryce Foster's mom went to A&M. His older brother played at A&M. A&M has recruited Katy Taylor really well. There are a lot of things in the Aggies' favor when it comes down to an actual decision. It would be OU today but a strong season would very much have A&M in it.

What is Savion Byrd's timeline & does A&M have a good shot?

Savion Byrd has not mentioned A&M much and I haven't heard about him from that side either. He likes both LSU and SMU at this point.

There's been a flip in each class under Fisher, who's your best bet in 2021?

A&M is still after Tunmise Adeleye and JoJo Earle. Adeleye would seem more probable of the two. But, also, some of those other guys in previous classes have been late arrivals on the board, so there could be others still out there. A&M is also after Mizzou OT commit Connor Tollison and Arkansas OT commit Devon Manuel. I don't think Tollison switches but you never know. Manuel, I don't know as much about.

Do you think the '21 numbers & approach at DL are in large part because of the lack of top prospects in-state in 2022?

It's just a really good class on the DL, both in state and out. So it's a case of grab them when you can. You could also see guys like Bobby Brown this year and DeMarvin Leal next year potentially leave early, so they've got that in mind too.

Who is going to be ranked as the highest rated signee in this class? And for a prop bet, over/under 1.5 composite 5 stars in this class?

Maybe Tunmise Adeleye with him having now decommitted from Ohio State. LJ Johnson I think should go up in the other two rankings as well, so he has a chance. Adeleye is on the cusp of 5-stars at the moment. Same with Johnson. I think there's a good chance with both guys, so I'll go over.

Aggies lead for tunmise??

I like where A&M stands. I don't expect another decision too soon but the Aggies have a lot going for them. Distance, the defensive front he likes, coaches he likes.

BP, y'all know of any major decommitments that would work in our favor?

Adeleye today was big. JoJo Earle would be big if he does open things up. He's never been to LSU. But A&M has competition for both.

Could Donovan Jackson be back in play now that Big 10 has cancelled?

Too early to tell. He has all the family ties to Ohio State but it will be interesting to get feedback for sure.

Most important recruit left on the board?

Hmm...maybe Tywone Malone.

With LJ Johnson likely headed Texas way can we consider this RB class a bust?

If Johnson does end up at Texas, it would obviously be a big blow. Byron Cardwell is a good player, but he's not close to the same level as LJ Johnson.

Alright, wtf gives with RB recruiting? Skill position has arguably been the weakest grouping under Fisher outside of Demond Demas.

I honestly don't know. It has been weird. A&M had Trayveon Williams break the school record and was a second-team All-American but they can't get any momentum there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Focht Up said:

Fucking LOL at them crowing about their OL recruiting.  What could have happened to the great Jimbo's power moves?

Yeah, they don't count the transition year, have convinced themselves in their little bubble that our last OL class was bad (hahahahaha), and are convinced that this year's "we're FINALLY not shitty at this!" class will be the dealbreaker for a guy that will be in the NFL by the time he'd be running behind them.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There is some fucking GOLD in that thread. 

image.png.699a50f349061b21b38a6da31bd9b7ee.png

image.png.11e14b3b5592a0f6ee746fdae8bf66fd.png

Is RiverRat a mfeldstein sock?   Lulz what an idiot.  I guess he hasn't paid attention to aggy OL recruit and play on the field last few years.

Which position group do they have a better than us at?  Maybe OL could be made for an argument, and that's only due to Wykoff IMO.

2 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Why do they think our OL is about to be so bad? Like seriously where does that come from? I can look at their team full of cubes and actually see why theirs will be performing worse than ours in the next few years. 

It comes from idiots like Loochie/Brawnie/Tarp.  Their subscribers believe every word of their bullshit.  I find it to be very entertaining, but one wonders why they continue to believe the exact same wishcasting year after year.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hi @jordanaggie! Seriously though, @golfclap's vision of aggy in-state recruiting is coming true

EfKp5EIWsAM1b64?format=png&name=360x360EfKp5YvWoAAr8Og?format=png&name=360x360EfKp6FgX0AI-poo?format=jpg&name=360x360EfKp6TMWsAUD6on?format=jpg&name=360x360

The best part is it's just going to keep snowballing. They're headed for 2 straight years of less than half their class being from Texas, and they don't have many Texas connections on their coaching staff. They're going to keep getting locked out of the state more and more every year, and they're not ever going to win big enough to quickly reverse it.  They're leaving themselves no choice but to push more OOS every cycle. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

247 but...

EfKrf4VWsAEHaae?format=jpg&name=360x360EfKrgIzX0AIjgAS?format=jpg&name=360x360EfKrgfvWsAAkoxc?format=jpg&name=360x360EfKrgx7XoAI7cOb?format=jpg&name=360x360

Aggie88 coming in hot with the "we've landed plenty of guys in Jimbo's top 10" line.  Might need to change the recruiting forum name to Not in Jimbo's Top 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is RiverRat a mfeldstein sock?   Lulz what an idiot.  I guess he hasn't paid attention to aggy OL recruit and play on the field last few years.

Which position group do they have a better than us at?  Maybe OL could be made for an argument, and that's only due to Wykoff IMO.

What is funny, is that someone probably did show Johnson the depth charts and that is what is making the difference. In a healthy program Johnson would at most run behind 1 maybe 2 guys in his class for one season. Johnson is likely a 3 year player, and you don't want 3 star developmental guys getting serious 2 deep run those 1st 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I see the idea that the qb is the rb in our offense still has legs over there. 

160 attempts for sam( I assume including scrambles from called passes and sacks)

about 300 from everyone else, 270 from the rb position. 

Mond averaged ten carries per game. 

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

160 attempts for sam( I assume including scrambles from called passes and sacks)

Add in the fact that Mond has averaged approximately 138 rushing attempts per season over the last two seasons (i.e., roughly 25 less per season than Sam) and it means Mond has run about two fewer times per game than Sam.  IOW, Mond has run the ball almost as much as Sam over the past two years.  At least the difference isn't appreciable enough to prevent us from, once again, calling bullshit on aggy.  

And, yes, Sam's statistical rushing attempts (which have been 164 and 163, respectively, over the past two seasons) include scrambles, sacks, etc. in addition to called running plays.  Same goes for Mond.     

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jimbo's early teams at FSU relied on the QB run game too.

2010 - Ponder 100 carries, 2nd most on the team, and 21% of the total.

2011 - Manuel 110 carries, 2nd most on the team, and 26% of the total.

2012 - Manuel 103 carries, 3rd most on the team, and 21% of the total.

2013 - Winston 88 carries, 3rd most on the the team, and combined with Coker the QB had 21% of the total.

2019 - Mond 126 carries, 2nd most on the team, 32% of the total.

2019 Texas - Ehlinger 163 carries, most on the team, 36% of the total. 

Over the 13 game schedule, Ehlinger carried the ball 2 more times per game than Mond. Though "carried" in the college game is a misnomer.

Both OLs struggled with sacks. Texas had 36 while aggy had 34.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Add in the fact that Mond has averaged approximately 138 rushing attempts per season over the last two seasons (i.e., roughly 25 less per season than Sam) and it means Mond has run about two fewer times per game than Sam.  IOW, Mond has run the ball almost as much as Sam over the past two years.  At least the difference isn't appreciable enough to prevent us from, once again, calling bullshit on aggy.  

And, yes, Sam's statistical rushing attempts (which have been 164 and 163, respectively, over the past two seasons) include scrambles, sacks, etc. in addition to called running plays.  Same goes for Mond.     

Don’t feel like looking, but I expect that Texas runs more plays per game than aggy. So the additional two carries per game could easily just be a function of 8-10 more plays per game. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t feel like looking, but I expect that Texas runs more plays per game than aggy. So the additional two carries per game could easily just be a function of 8-10 more plays per game. 

67 to 72. Expect that 2nd number to move closer to 80. For reference, Ohio State average 76 last year, and Oklahoma State averaged 75 during his tenure there. That average is held down because of the 2nd year when he didn't have a good QB until they took the RS off of Rudolph, the last 2 years he had it humming at 77 per game.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Bingo.  Horns ran a total of 1, 995 offensive plays over those two seasons.  Aggy ran a total of 1,861.  Of those, not sure how many Sam and Mond were under center, but I've got to think they were the vast majority of snaps in both instances.