Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

31 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:
34 minutes ago, golfclap said:
HammLite with a CB for Burris to aggy. He’s committing this weekend. 

spacer.png

Mostly kidding, I think he was still probably a take for us but it's not a devastating loss. Certainly not much of a counter punch. Nice to finally see a Texas high school kid get a scholarship from one of our 2nd tier public universities.

30 minutes ago, golfclap said:

@irishtexan
Aggy is fucking MELTING at their FR TE Blake Smith (Southlake kid) for saying that if he were a TE/WR in this class he’d sign with Texas as well re: Ewers

That is smart, the Dickinson TE is the only skill position player that aggy has a shot with that Texas will be recruiting, and he would be competing against him for playing time after Cupp and Wydermyer move on.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Was just preparing them for Ewers. 

Hide contents

Liucci

12:05p 

Staff

AG

Sounds like the Horns could be getting some big news on the '22 recruiting front today. We'll see if it comes to fruition but could make things interesting on multiple fronts. Stay tuned.

Liucci

In reply to Mike Cee •  12:17p 

Staff

AG

Mike Cee said:

Bobby Taylor?

No. Not Bobby.

Liucci

In reply to Stormblitz II •  12:19p 

Staff

AG

Stormblitz II said:

They're getting Ewers

Keep fighting for Ty Simpson and we'll be alright.

Ty Simpson is elite elite. There are some strong ties with A&M there but they're going to have to fight off everyone in college football who matters outside of probably LSU (they have legacy kid Howard committed and he's a total stud, too), OU (signing the nation's No. 1 this year) and wherever Ewers winds up.

Liucci

In reply to AGinNB •  12:23p 

Staff

AG

AGinNB said:

If it's Ewers then maybe Milroe goes to Bama and then we lead for LJ again...

If that's the case, Milroe would likely say all the right things but, damn, it will be interesting to see where the push comes from for the Katy Tompkins QB. If it's Bama, you have to think things would escalate at some point along the way. And, yes, the Horns' recent momentum surge with LJ has a LOT to do with Milroe's recruitment of him.

Liucci

In reply to DisappointedAg •  12:24p 

Staff

AG

AginCal said:

Why would Ewers want to go to sip? Their OL is trash. I could understand OU.

DisappointedAg said:

Everything I've seen shows me he was raised a sip like Ehlinger. 

He was.

Liucci

In reply to AginCal •  12:26p 

Staff

AG

AginCal said:

That place is a train wreck. I'm surprised he isn't seeing what the Brockmeyers saw.

Well if they play football this year, it's two seasons until he signs so who knows. Texas could go unbeaten or 9-1 with a rematch vs OU in the Big 12 title game with Ehlinger and this year's schedule, which could be one of the easiest in NCAA history (depending on teams like Ok State, TCU and Iowa State) or they could go 7-3 and Herman would absolutely be on the hot seat entering 2021 and he'd be doing so while replacing a top 3 QB in school history with a first-year starter. 

Liucci

In reply to amskier1 •  1:00p 

Staff

AG

AGinNB said:

If it's Ewers then maybe Milroe goes to Bama and then we lead for LJ again...

amskier1 said:

Just out of curiosity, why would Milroe go to Bama and sit behind 5* Young? He possibly never plays there whereas, if he goes to Austin, maybe no guarantee but, he has a real shot to play as a true fish and if he does and does well, he could possibly buy himself a second year to hold off Ewers until Ewers is able to adjust to college and the D schemes he will face. I don't see him holding off Ewers more than 1 year if he can do that but, if he gets to play 1 year that is better than none at Bama. Also, it seems if he goes to Bama doesn't that just make it easier for LJ to follow him?

I'll be sure to pass this along to Coach Herman so they can prepare.

Liucci

In reply to Billy Moose •  1:03p 

Staff

AG

Billy Moose said:

This is awful news. The only silver lining is that most of the top talent is in Houston next year and Ewers is in DFW. Aside from that, this absolutely sucks. We need games to start so we can start whooping ass and Herman can go 6-4 and show what a fraud he is.

It's not awful news for A&M from the sense that they lost someone anyone was expecting to be an Aggie. They were merely in his recruitment. You have to see if they were to land someone like Ty Simpson or if Klubnik were to blow up this fall before saying it was in any way terrible news for the Aggies. It's certainly one of those instances where you'd rather see Ewers land somewhere other than Austin where he could potentially revive their miserable current recruiting trend (inflated rankings aside) but, again, (hopefully) two seasons left to played between now and then.

You just can't react as if everything that happens is an absolute disaster for TAMU because it's usually not. Way more often than not, it's going to be anything but. We cry 'disaster' too much around here. 

Liucci

In reply to Liucci •  1:07p 

Staff

AG

+ 1 more quotes (click to expand)

amskier1 said:

Just out of curiosity, why would Milroe go to Bama and sit behind 5* Young? He possibly never plays there whereas, if he goes to Austin, maybe no guarantee but, he has a real shot to play as a true fish and if he does and does well, he could possibly buy himself a second year to hold off Ewers until Ewers is able to adjust to college and the D schemes he will face. I don't see him holding off Ewers more than 1 year if he can do that but, if he gets to play 1 year that is better than none at Bama. Also, it seems if he goes to Bama doesn't that just make it easier for LJ to follow him?

Liucci said:

I'll be sure to pass this along to Coach Herman so they can prepare.

And i'm giving you a hard time. It's certainly a point I'm sure the Texas staff is already out in front of. Still, if Bama or perhaps another legitimate power decide to make a run at him, things do get very interesting as I said. Like I said, he'll say all the right things but it will be fascinating to see where the eventual push comes from.

As for LJ, I do think Texas poses a greater threat simply because of proximity. And the Ags are still very much in that one.

Liucci

In reply to DTP02 •  1:08p 

Staff

AG

DTP02 said:

The problem with the idea about the Milroe domino falling away from tu is I'm not sure if Bama will make that final push for him. They're really good at making enough of a push to keep kids interested and make them feel wanted, but they typically have several options they're looking at and only one will be the true high priority. 

I agree with this. Which is why I'm wondering if someone else who lives inside the top-10 and in need of a QB will see an opening and predate.

This whole thought train is the utter definition of “rent-free”.

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I like how Looch says it's no big deal Ewers is going to Texas, but if went to aggy we all know he'd be saying Jimbo is about to get everyone in the state and Hermensa is toast.

The Looch has proclaimed a&m’a elite recruiting and excellent coaching for 22 years (the coaches are always great until they are about to get fired).  Yet a&m hasn’t even played for a conference title or had back to back winning seasons in conference play since Bill Clinton was president. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The Looch has proclaimed a&m’a elite recruiting and excellent coaching for 22 years (the coaches are always great until they are about to get fired).  Yet a&m hasn’t even played for a conference title or had back to back winning seasons in conference play since Bill Clinton was president. 

Nobody’s perfect.  Ruff, tuff, stuff or some such. 

13 hours ago, golfclap said:

I like Burris as a disruptive DT and he’s a damn good get for aggy. I hope like hell that he comes back from the Achilles — that shit is rough.

@jordanaggie how does this impact Taleeq Robbins? I suspected that they were first to commit for this spot. Would you guys take them both? 

First of all, nice pickup on Ewers. Yes, we're jealous and pissed. He was never going to be in the cards for us, but that really doesn't ease the pain.

As for Robbins, I suspect his spot will become tentative with the Burris commitment. It looks like we want Robbins, Malone, Tunmise, Turner and Goodwine on the DL (maybe also Landon Jackson, if we could flip him), but with Harris, Vaka and Burris on board, we probably only have 3 spots for 5 guys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, golfclap said:

@irishtexan
Aggy is fucking MELTING at their FR TE Blake Smith (Southlake kid) for saying that if he were a TE/WR in this class he’d sign with Texas as well re: Ewers

Yeah, I mean melting is a little strong, but it was a pretty stupid thing to say. He deleted it quickly, but the toothpaste is out of the tube.

1 hour ago, jordanaggie said:

First of all, nice pickup on Ewers. Yes, we're jealous and pissed. He was never going to be in the cards for us, but that really doesn't ease the pain.

As for Robbins, I suspect his spot will become tentative with the Burris commitment. It looks like we want Robbins, Malone, Tunmise, Turner and Goodwine on the DL (maybe also Landon Jackson, if we could flip him), but with Harris, Vaka and Burris on board, we probably only have 3 spots for 5 guys.

You don’t want a quarterback like Ewers who is scared of the SEC or scared of Jimbo.  

He couldn’t go an win 52 percent of his conference games at ag

• Hook 'Em 1

bv86ag

AG

With every kid that sip recruits...you guys have the same knee-jerk reaction...."Jimbo is getting beat at recruiting!!!!!!!"
I call TOTAL BULLSHYTE on you damn trolls.
FOR EXAMPLE:
Calzada's got a cannon for an arm and Jimbo held off an attempt by Kirby Smart at GEORGIA to flip him.
And EVERYONE...and i mean EVEN HERMENSA..was salivating over Haynes King.
And now you so called "Aggies" have once again predicted gloom and doom and the end of of western civilization as we know it because the sips signed a kid who says his dream school was t.u.?
I guess you "Aggies" just totally forgot how highly touted both Calzada and especially King were out of high school?
Or maybe you are just the pot-stirring trolls who say stupid shyte like cheerleaders would some make our football team a national power.
What absolute trolling f-ing garbage.
Jimbo Fisher has signed highly rated classes and has virtually revamped and upgraded A&M talent in only 2 years.
We shall see if you idiot trolls are still around in 2 more years to ***** about Jimbos signing classes.

King really didn't want to go to A&M, but it made the most sense for him. LSU was the dream school, but they took two QBs early. Texas had Card and never offered. Auburn had Bo Nix the year before. Tennessee had Harrison Bailey committed. Arkansas, which in a vacuum was probably their second choice after LSU, had the coach's son committed at the time. 

Calzada's Georgia offer was a last second thing after Fields transferred and they needed another QB body, irrc 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Aggie 247 / Andrew Hattersley / With Burris on board, who could be the next Texas A&M commits?

(Includes LJ Johnson, btw.)

Spoiler

With Burris on board, who could be the next Texas A&M commits?
ANDREW HATTERSLEY

For over a year, Texas A&M has been in pursuit of Pleasant Grove defensive end, Marcus Burris, who collected an offer from the Aggies following an unofficial visit in April 2019.

After a back-and-forth few months, the Aggies got some good news on Saturday afternoon securing a pledge from the four-star defender. 

Burris is rated as the No. 101 prospect nationally and No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the class of 2021, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

He is commitment No. 14 in the class for the Aggies and third along the defensive line joining Jahzion Harris and Victory Vaka.

So where does A&M go from here? Here is a look at a few names who could potentially be next in line to join the class.

MIAMI CENTRAL (FL) RB AMARI DANIELS

Texas A&M is still waiting to add its first running back to the class and one definite possibility is Amari Daniels. The Miami Central all-purpose back has said he would like to make a decision prior to the start of his senior year, which is set to begin in two weeks.

The Aggies hold all four Crystal Ball picks for Daniels as he has built a strong relationship with the A&M staff, but Miami has made a strong run at Daniels as well and certainly made things interesting as the Hurricanes try to keep him close to home. Penn State and Georgia are two others that are involved in his recruitment.

Daniels is a dynamic option out of the backfield and rated as the No. 6 all-purpose back in the class of 2021, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

GEORGE COUNTY (MS) DB MJ DANIELS

Texas A&M has added a few major pieces to the secondary class over the course of the summer with Deuce Harmon, Tyreek Chappell, Dreyden Norwood and most recently Kendal Daniels joining the class.

A&M is still looking to add at least one more defensive back to the class and has been in frequent contact with Daniels.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound defensive back decommitted from Ole Miss earlier this summer and has A&M in his top six. Ranked as an athlete, he is being recruited by the Aggies as a cornerback and says he has the best relationships with Ole Miss and A&M. He is also cousins with incoming freshman defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson.

Daniels has said he is in no hurry to make a decision and would like to take visits, but if the dead period continues to be extended, he could be one to keep an eye on.

IMHOTEP INSTITUTE (PA) DT TALEEQ ROBBINS

Originally Robbins planned to make a decision in August but pushed back that timeline indefinitely as a result of the coronavirus.

The 6-foot-3, 300-pounder still wants to take some visits prior to making a decision but said if he is not able to take visits, he should still be able to decide.

Robbins is good friends with A&M commit Tyreek Chappell and talks with the staff at A&M quite a bit. If Robbins is ready to decide earlier, A&M will have to make a decision on whether they have space for him, but the coaching staff is certainly high on him as a player to add to this class.

GRANDVIEW (TEX.) TE/DE DAMETRIOUS CROWNOVER

Crownover is ranked as a tight end but is being recruited as a jumbo athlete by most schools, including A&M.

However, the 6-foot-6, four-star prospect is up to 275 pounds this summer which would make it seem like a much more likely scenario that he ends up on the defensive side of the ball. The Aggies also already have a tight end commitment in the class.

Crownover has been high on the Aggies for quite a while, even before his brother Earnest Crownover committed in the class of 2020. Now the two could well end up playing together.

Baylor is making a strong push for Crownover as well and he does have a family connection there too.  

Crownover wants to take his official visits, but if the dead period keeps being extended, he could well opt to make a decision earlier than expected.

CY-FAIR (TEX.) RB LJ JOHNSON

For quite a while, A&M was viewed as the leader for Johnson, who is rated as the No. 4 running back in the class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

In recent weeks, Texas has made a strong push for Johnson and according to 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong the Longhorns now look like the team to beat for him.

With that being said, A&M remains in the picture for Johnson and could still regain control of his recruitment with a strong counter push of their own. The four-star running back remains one of A&M’s more important targets left in the class.

Spoiler

Liucci

12:17p 

Staff

AG

In the SEC, size, athleticism and physicality rule the day up front. Aggie fans know what truly elite defensive lines look like, as most grew to appreciate watching the Wrecking Crew wreak havoc throughout the 80s and 90s. It all started with dominance in the trenches for the Ags back then, and Jimbo Fisher earned two national championship rings while helping Nick Saban stockpile NFL d-line talent in Baton Rouge before leading the charge himself in Tallahassee.  

Along with Mike Elko and d-line coaches Terry Price and Elijah Robinson, Fisher is attempting to build that same type of beast in College Station. Since arriving on campus prior to the 2018 season, the Ags have done just that, signing several national top-100 prospects and a couple of five stars along the way while also stockpiling depth and imposing bodies. Fisher and the Aggies have also gotten there by winning some very high profile recruiting battles against some of college football's premier programs.

They did so again on Saturday, claiming a big head to head win over Lincoln Riley's Oklahoma Sooners and adding a guy who checks all of the aforementioned boxes to the 2021 haul.

A year ago, Jason, Brauny and I watched Pleasant Grove standout Marcus Burris turn heads at an A&M camp featuring more talent along the offensive and defensive lines that you could imagine. Blue-chip prospects from the Classes of '20 and '21 could be found everywhere and spent the afternoon battling it out in the trenches. By day's end, a handful of prospects stood out from the rest. One of those was junior-to-be Marcus Burris. He essentially earned an offer built on that showing - where other highly-regarded DLs and LBs did not - and has been considered a must-have by the Aggie staff ever since.

How highly did the Aggie and Sooner staffs think of the two-time state champ from Texarkana? Well, both teams stuck with Burris and proceeded to duke it out in the center of the ring until the final bell despite the four-star defender suffering a torn Achilles earlier this summer. The reason why? Because if you know what dominant collegiate (and eventual NFL) defensive linemen look like, you know you're watching one when Marcus Burris is throwing guys around in a helmet and shoulder pads. You also know you're talking about a terrific young man on and off the field who there is no question will work his way back from an injury that will cost him his senior season at Pleasant Grove.

Thing is, when the Ags look at the latest addition to an increasingly-impressive '21 group on the defensive side of the ball, they see a 6-4 (plus), 280-plus pound, two-sport standout who will enroll early at just at or under 6-5 and probably around 300 pounds. After what could very well be a redshirt season in 2021 (if needed to fully recover), Burris is likely to take the field for the first time as a 6-5, 310-315 pound menace in the SEC trenches. That size and frame plus exceptional all-around athleticism and real power are what put Burris on the recruiting map nearly two years ago. We're talking about a two-sport star at Pleasant Grove who averaged nearly 17 points per game on the hardwood, a 280-pounder who managed a 66-yard touchdown after hauling in a deep ball against Gladewater last year who also has teamed with LSU commit Landon Jackson to give the Hawks one of the most feared and destructive defensive lines in the state over the past three seasons.

When you watch Burris on tape, you see a young and (definitely) still-growing athlete who is unusually good at using his ridiculous blend of reach (he boasts an eye-catching 84-inch wingspan) and power (he recently benched 385 pounds) to control offensive linemen and shed blocks. At the 4A level, Marcus is just too much for most would-be QB protectors to handle, as you repeatedly see him overpowering the opposition on one play and blowing past him with explosive quickness on the next snap. There are parts of Marcus' game that remind me of a very young Red Bryant, who came out of Jasper High School back in 2002, grew into a dominant interior presence for the Ags and spent more than a decade in the NFL - or perhaps even former Aggie All-American Brandon Mitchell if you want to go back even further. Like Mitchell, Burris is a guy whose physical gifts and game allow him to be a pretty dominant force against the run and when it comes to getting to the quarterback.

Like those two at the same age, Burris is already very good but hasn't even scratched the surface yet in terms of his long-term potential. Everyone can see where he's headed, which is why he held offers from finalists A&M, OU and Texas plus Alabama, LSU, Miami, Oregon, Tennessee, Arkansas and TCU before the end of his junior season. Marcus was absolutely dominant last season, earning First Team 4A All-State honors while piling up 92 tackles, 20 stops behind the line, 13 sacks and even an interception. Pleasant Grove advanced to the state title game for the third straight season and claimed its second 4A Division II championship in three years with Burris earning Defensive MVP honors in the title game win over Wimberley.

Marcus, Jackson and the Hawk defense had planned on paving the way to championship No. 3 this fall prior to Burris' injury, and Pleasant Grove head coach Josh Gibson and other PG insiders believed the nationally-ranked d-lineman (he's currently No. 101 in the composite rankings and was considered a top-15 recruit in Texas prior to the injury) had flipped the switch in terms of his off-season training. The prevailing sentiment was that he was poised for a truly dominant senior campaign...one that may have thrust him into the discussion as the top DL prospect in Texas, along with Jackson, DeSoto's Shemar Turner and Denton Ryan's Ja'tavion Sanders. Makes you wonder what the four-star game-wrecker could have done considering he had already racked up 32 tackles for loss and 18 sacks over the past two seasons.

Another, less talked about part of the Burris addition that Coach Fisher has to be pretty excited about is adding a player from Gibson's state championship program. The Aggies now have commits from Pleasant Grove, North Shore, Denton Guyer and Katy and have a real shot to add a DeSoto Eagle to the group before NSD. Jimbo talks regularly about building a 'championship culture' in his locker room, and guys like Marcus Burris, Eli StowersDeuce HarmonFernando Garza and Shadrach Banks know exactly what that looks like.

This also represents a second straight head-to-head win on the defensive side of the ball for the Aggies over the Oklahoma Sooners. As I said following the Kendal Daniels commit, Fisher and Riley are locking horns on the recruiting trail far more regularly than the Ags and, well, Horns are these days. Any H2H win over OU is meaningful and extends beyond just the player you were able to land. Momentum matters here, and the Aggies will have another big battle or two to fight with the Sooners between now and Signing Day, and the battlefield in the Lone Star State in 2022 will look like something out of Avengers: Endgame.

With A&M now at 14 pledges in the '21 class, numbers are beginning to get a little tighter than you might expect. With two 2020 signees 'counting back,' the Ags have no more than 23 spots available. Considering college football's fast-emerging transfer climate, Fisher and every other head coach in college football have to consider leaving a spot or two open to welcome new additions via that route. So we're talking about a maximum of nine spots still on the table and perhaps only seven or eight. Obvious needs still include one more DB, probably two or three total between the RB/WR positions (depending on who the Ags are able to land at each spot) and a couple of offensive linemen to round out a five-man class. 

Fisher and Co. will also continue to build the fortress up front on D. Burris is the Ags' third commit along the defensive line and Elko, Robinson and Price are actively and aggressively looking for more. Depending on how things shake out, we should see at least a couple of more additions between now and Signing Day. The prime-time targets include two of my favorites in DeSoto's Shemar Turner (A&M, LSU, Bama and Texas are all in the mix) and New Jersey DT Tywone Malone (Ohio State is the biggest threat), Philly standout Taleeq Robbins (A&M, UGA, Auburn), LaPorte's Albert Regis(this looks like an Aggie-Longhorn tussle) and perhaps even a couple of longtime targets currently committed elsewhere.  

The competition will be pretty damn stiff for all of the aforementioned names, but, as the Aggies showed once again on Saturday, winning high-profile battles in the trenches on the recruiting front is what they do. And if you keep adding guys like Marcus Burris to the mix, the Wrecking Crew will soon look a lot like the vintage versions and like some of Fisher's championship Seminole units. Which is, after all, the only path to SEC title contention.