Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

My fear: he's going to end up at Bama and run for roughly 4 billion yards. They've started the dreaded Saban Facetime routine.

Yes, this is a higher top speed than Camar Wheaton reached in his examples from RA -- except that McCaskill will easily carry 235 pounds in college and is already a lean 215. 

bUt ThErE aReNt AnY gOoD pLaYeRs In-StAtE

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

My fear: he's going to end up at Bama and run for roughly 4 billion yards. They've started the dreaded Saban Facetime routine.

Yes, this is a higher top speed than Camar Wheaton reached in his examples from RA -- except that McCaskill will easily carry 235 pounds in college and is already a lean 215. 

Good lord. What's the deal with his ranking? Production? He's got all of the right offers.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Good lord. What's the deal with his ranking? Production? He's got all of the right offers.

You tell me. I honestly think he's a no-brainer take for anyone. I guess he's had limited number of carries (I see that as a positive). He has an upright running style but dude is gonna be 235+ pounds, I don't think it's going to make him ineffective. His current size and athleticism would make him one of the more athletic big RBs in the upcoming NFL draft. He's still in high school. Give him 3-4 years at Alabama or Texas and their S&C program?  I can't remember which 9.95er wrote that he should play defense but there may just simply be a disconnect between the 9.95ers projecting him as a LB or simply not liking his RB skills. 

Look, Bama signed 3 guys in the 2020 class so they don't really need a RB but they are still pursuing 4 guys because they feel like they are takes regardless of their RB room. Camar Wheaton, Brandon Campbell, Armoni Goodwin, and Alton McCaskill. If I was doing evals for any of the 9.95ers I would go ahead and throw the film back on for those 4 guys and make sure that the 3 star ratings of the two Texas RBs is reflective of their talents and athleticism. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You tell me. I honestly think he's a no-brainer take for anyone. I guess he's had limited number of carries (I see that as a positive). He has an upright running style but dude is gonna be 235+ pounds, I don't think it's going to make him ineffective. His current size and athleticism would make him one of the more athletic big RBs in the upcoming NFL draft. He's still in high school. Give him 3-4 years at Alabama or Texas and their S&C program?  I can't remember which 9.95er wrote that he should play defense but there may just simply be a disconnect between the 9.95ers projecting him as a LB or simply not liking his RB skills. 

Look, Bama signed 3 guys in the 2020 class so they don't really need a RB but they are still pursuing 4 guys because they feel like they are takes regardless of their RB room. Camar Wheaton, Brandon Campbell, Armoni Goodwin, and Alton McCaskill. If I was doing evals for any of the 9.95ers I would go ahead and throw the film back on for those 4 guys and make sure that the 3 star ratings of the two Texas RBs is reflective of their talents and athleticism. 

If Campbell and Davis are able to grow up past their off-field red flags they're going to be so good in LA.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texifornia said:

If Campbell and Davis are able to grow up past their off-field red flags they're going to be so good in LA.

Yep. It's a gamble worth taking if you are USC right now. They are both NFL talents with a lot of shit going on outside of the sport. Getting them out of their current circle or people and situations and into a new environment may be enough, who knows. HUGE upside, esp. Davis. HUGE. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Blumrick plays both TE and WR, right? And no, I don't mean that Flex TE bullshit, I mean I just assume her's equally versatile as a speed WR as well as an in-line multi-purpose TE, per their reporting. Right?

Bingo.  Also backup C as well, he's after Chibuzo on the depth chart. He's 2020's Crash Jensen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Blumrick plays both TE and WR, right? And no, I don't mean that Flex TE bullshit, I mean I just assume her's equally versatile as a speed WR as well as an in-line multi-purpose TE, per their reporting. Right?

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Bingo.  Also backup C as well, he's after Chibuzo on the depth chart. He's 2020's Crash Jensen. 

I mean...are we officially at a point where Blumrick may actually be one of their top 4 or so pass-catchers? 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That new starting trio of WR's had a total of 4 catches for 42 yards last season.

Watch. This. Tape. 

REAL. RECRUITING. 

WHOOOOOOP

stupid sip 

sleeping giant is awake

POWER. MOVES.

*** sorry, I don't know which aggy reply applies here. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Isn't Ausbon the one who went to IMG with Kellen Mond? 

If so, I'd maybe not shit on Ausbon too hard aggy fans, after the Sully situation this offseason ... 

That means Great White Hope Haynes King starts instead. Win win for your local aggy fan (until he has a mediocre season, then it's on to the next freshman)

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What could go wrong with a bunch of young WRs and Kellen "Bullseye" Mond?

Also, it's almost like maybe the climate on campus and perhaps in the locker room for aTm players, even the stars, just isn't all that welcoming and harmonious. Go figure. 

Great decision, Demas.   

Spoiler

Ausbon "taking time off"....

21,950 Views | 284 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by StringerBell

Liucci

In reply to Keller6Ag91 •  2:16p 

Staff

AG

Keller6Ag91 said:

Woah. The optics here don't look good.

Isn't he Kellen's roommate?

Who cares about 'the optics'??? I really think Jhamon is going through some things right now and it's led to him to take what is currently a 'brief' step away from football. He's been away for roughly two weeks now and there's no telling whether he'll return in a day, a week or never.

Hopefully he'll be back out there soon. The Aggies are pretty much devoid of any experience at wideout outside of #2 and he's a steady, reliable and familiar target for Kellen. There's a decent chance he'd be the Ags' best receiver this fall. Not a guarantee, mind you, but a good chance he'd lead the team in catches and yards.

As far as worrying about the 'optics' here, I'd worry more about the kid. I think by sitting this season he could be making a decision that will impact his career, long-term. He's a projected mid- to late-round draft pick right now who has busted his ass to come in lighter, leaner and faster than at any point in his career and who could have a strong senior campaign that would push him up possibly as high as a couple of rounds.  

Based on everything I've heard over the past two weeks, he's the only guy factoring into the projected serious playing rotation who is unsure of whether he's in or he's out for the rapidly-approaching season.

What Ausbon's absence has done is clear a lot of practice time for the young, talented wideouts. Different guys have stepped up at different times over the past two weeks but one name that has come up as making a move over the past week or so is Kam Brown.

Liucci

In reply to MarcAg •  2:17p 

Staff

AG

aggierogue said:

Put Ainias Smith back at receiver.

MarcAg said:

No!! He should have been moved to RB last September and glad they finally did it. 

Ainias has been an absolute STUD at tailback throughout fall camp. No.

Liucci

In reply to The Shank Ag •  2:22p 

Staff

AG

+ 1 more quotes (click to expand)

BowSowy said:

So Billy never mentioned Ausbon as someone who would start opposite Ausbon? As far as I can tell all the other questions were regarding newcomers at the WR position.

The Shank Ag said:

I prefaced my post that I could definitely be looking too much into things and that it was just an observation...

If I were to play devil's advocate for a second though. Throughout the hour long Q&A with Billy, Ausbon was brought up one time by Gabe, as his name was part of a question. Billy never mentioned his name. In an hour long Q&A session, that seems somewhat odd, but could also be purely coincidental. Or it could be on purpose, not wanting to say anything about a matter that hasn't been announced or discuss a player that wouldn't be playing for some reason.

Again, pure conjecture and trying to read context clues. Could totally be chasing ghosts, but this is a discussion board and a place to do that sort of thing.

You're absolutely spot on here. This has been going on for nearly two weeks now and, like I said, Ausbon is having a rough go of it in terms of figuring out what he wants to do with this season (and maybe even football in general, who really knows). It's strange because he worked as hard as probably anyone on the team to get ready for his final go-round. It just wasn't something I'm sure Fisher wanted brought to light as Jhamon worked through it and made up his mind but here we are. It wasn't going to remain a secret forever but him not playing is certainly a possibility, which is why I didn't mention him during the Q&A or in a couple of instances lately.

Liucci

In reply to Marvin •  2:23p 

Staff

AG

Marvin said:

Kind of big news... 

Give it a week or so and let's see where it's at. Again, this was an internal thing Ausbon, Fisher and the Aggies were trying to work through by giving him time to sort things out. He's not opting out or anything yet.

Liucci

In reply to Here4Beer •  2:25p 

Staff

AG

LowAg28 said:

Per friend around the program, he is potentially opting out of the season.

Here4Beer said:

That's the rumor going around but I wonder what for? Does he want to declare or just play in 21' when things are back to normal?

I honestly think he's confused about what he wants to do at this point. Just hope no one has his ear and is giving him bad advice. I don't think that's it but it's always a concern.

Liucci

In reply to Scabie94 •  2:26p 

Staff

AG

Scabie94 said:

Wait... 2 weeks? Wtf?

Came back lighter, stronger and faster- ready to lead the team and hasn't been practicing for 2 weeks- and is devoid of injury? 

I love that guy- but help me understand this...

This doesn't sound like a death in the family situation.

Difficult to understand and doesn't seem to make much sense but, like I said, I think he's having a tough time figuring things out.

Liucci

In reply to aggierogue •  2:51p 

Staff

AG

Marvin said:

If there is one thing that Jimbo has been most vocal about, it's been the team's focus. He has seemed very confident on that subject. 

aggierogue said:

What would you expect him to say?

Believe what you choose to believe. The coach or your gut instinct having not seen a thing. Of course focus in probably every program around the country isn't what it's been at camp in years past, due primarily to the weird nature of this off-season and the strange schedule, but for whatever it's worth, the Ags are coming off what more than one insider told me was by far their best practice of the season last night.

Liucci

In reply to Joseph Parrish •  2:54p 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

Who cares about 'the optics'??? I really think Jhamon is going through some things right now and it's led to him to take what is currently a 'brief' step away from football. He's been away for roughly two weeks now and there's no telling whether he'll return in a day, a week or never.

Hopefully he'll be back out there soon. The Aggies are pretty much devoid of any experience at wideout outside of #2 and he's a steady, reliable and familiar target for Kellen. There's a decent chance he'd be the Ags' best receiver this fall. Not a guarantee, mind you, but a good chance he'd lead the team in catches and yards.

As far as worrying about the 'optics' here, I'd worry more about the kid. I think by sitting this season he could be making a decision that will impact his career, long-term. He's a projected mid- to late-round draft pick right now who has busted his ass to come in lighter, leaner and faster than at any point in his career and who could have a strong senior campaign that would push him up possibly as high as a couple of rounds.  

Based on everything I've heard over the past two weeks, he's the only guy factoring into the projected serious playing rotation who is unsure of whether he's in or he's out for the rapidly-approaching season.

What Ausbon's absence has done is clear a lot of practice time for the young, talented wideouts. Different guys have stepped up at different times over the past two weeks but one name that has come up as making a move over the past week or so is Kam Brown.

Joseph Parrish said:

Ok, so we're definitely out of 'normal' territory here now.

Of course we are. What's 'normal' about a guy taking two weeks away from ball during fall camp entering his senior season? And a player with NFL Draft potential, no less.

Liucci

In reply to ConfidentAg •  2:55p 

Staff

AG

+ 3 more quotes (click to expand)

Liucci said:

Believe what you choose to believe. The coach or your gut instinct having not seen a thing. Of course focus in probably every program around the country isn't what it's been at camp in years past, due primarily to the weird nature of this off-season and the strange schedule, but for whatever it's worth, the Ags are coming off what more than one insider told me was by far their best practice of the season last night.

ConfidentAg said:

Let's assume Ausbon doesn't play. Does this combined with our TE depth change our W/L record this year? I want to believe in this offense but now it seems like we have huge question marks at every position with exception of RB. TE wouldn't be too bad if there wasn't a chance of missing time to Covid.

You might have the best tight end in the conference. And I know many don't expect it on here but you could also end up having one of the two best QBs in the league, as well. If Ainias and Demas are as dynamic as expected and as they've shown...well, I wouldn't be quick to write this offense off by any stretch.

Liucci

In reply to aggierogue •  2:56p 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

aggierogue said:

That's great to hear. But I was responding to what coaches say. All coaches generally say their team is focused. Once in a while they say otherwise, and it's usually to send a message. Every coach since Slocum has routinely stated that the team is focused. Means very little imo. Not a shot at Jimbo or your reporting.

No, I get it. Rarely have you ever heard a coach say, "We've been practicing terribly. Totally unfocused out there." 

Liucci

In reply to beerad12man •  2:58p 

Staff

AG

ruxin98 said:

Probably the #1 leader on this squad... this just doesn't sound good.

Downgrading my expectations to 7-3 or 6-4, best-case. Bad vibes around this team right now...

beerad12man said:

Ugh you can be the worst sometimes

He's one of the more brutal, defeatist posters in the history of this site. Literally had to change his handle due to wearing everyone out and is back with an new name and as negative as ever!!!

I have to give him points for consistency, though.

Liucci

In reply to Maroon Elephant •  3:00p 

Staff

AG

Maroon Elephant said:

Gone for 2 weeks? Yet, he didn't have any trouble "protesting" on August 30. 

The practice prior to that was his last one.

Liucci

In reply to aggierogue •  3:14p 

Staff

AG

Jet Black said:

Insert leap to conclusions mat here

aggierogue said:

Not much of a leap to draw that inference from Billy's post.

That's not what I was inferring at all, actually.

Liucci

In reply to Bob Lee •  3:18p 

Staff

AG

StringerBell said:

lmao you really think jimbo is going to give his senior WR1 an ultimatum? 

Bob Lee said:

If Ausbon's really calling the shots in that relationship, that would change my opinion of him as a coach. So yeah, I think he would. 

I think this is as simple as you want the guy to return to your team because he's a good player and when he's out there he's in no way any sort of distraction. But you also need to proceed right now as if he's injured and move on without him. If he returns, I'm sure Jimbo and Dameyune understand the balance between time missed and the performance of others in his absence and how that relates to where he returns on the depth chart. You don't close the door on him (what we don't know is what EXACTLY he's going to through to make him feel like he needs some time away) but he'll have to earn his playing time and targets back by outperforming the guys who have been out there working and producing over the past two weeks (or longer if this thing stretches out).

Liucci

In reply to bpaggie01 •  3:20p 

Staff

AG

bpaggie01 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum so my apologies. What is the benefit of "opting out" this season if this season doesn't count against your eligibility either way? 

There is no benefit unless you believe you're a very high draft pick and don't want to risk injury. It kind of gave some of those guys a second chance to declare early for the NFL, this time with an uncertain season starting them in the face. For some, the reward of returning no longer outweighed the risk. I'm talking about guys like Chase, Sewell and the DLs from Miami and Penn State.

Liucci

In reply to El Hombre Mas Guapo •  3:24p 

Staff

AG

El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

Seriously, this is major news. 

We were all dunking on L$U because they were losing starters. Now here we are and some are saying it's no biggie

How can we believe our QB1 has his head on straight when he was more 'in the fray' with this SJW distraction and his roommate is MIA.

Is QB1 having the same thoughts? Is he even locked in?

This is so over-the-top it's difficult to read.

I've said repeatedly (and even on this thread) that Mond is having 'by far' the best camp of his career. He hasn't missed a single practice that the team has had. Chase Lane was also regularly at the protests and has been one of the breakout performers of camp.  

Folks were dunking on LSU because they've lost several key starters, not one. They lost a top-10 pick at WR and a guy who can single-handedly stuff the run in Shelvin. They also lost at least one other potential starter and their starting nickel. All to opt outs. Combine that with everything else that had already lost and they basically return about six of 22 starters off of last year's team. It's night and day difference to what we're talking about here.

So we're not downplaying POTENTIALLY losing Ausbon but it would actually be INSANE to compare it to LSU or act like this is the end of the season.

Liucci

In reply to El Hombre Mas Guapo •  3:26p 

Staff

AG

El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

What % of returning receiving yards (experience) will be lost if he doesn't return?

I'll hang up and listen.

At WR, probably damn near all of it.  

I'll ask you this: In what big wins by the Aggies did the receivers step up and lead the way last fall? The last two years even? The tight end has been the most dangerous pass-catching weapon each of the first two seasons under Jimbo and it's not up for debate. You definitely want Ausbon back, yes, but significant turnover at that position was absolutely necessary.

Liucci

In reply to aggierogue •  3:27p 

Staff

AG

Jet Black said:

Insert leap to conclusions mat here

aggierogue said:

Not much of a leap to draw that inference from Billy's post.

Pretty big ****ing leap since that thought didn't even cross my mind while typing it.

Liucci

In reply to miller0926 •  3:36p 

Staff

AG

miller0926 said:

So this is the first I've heard of Ausbon being out for 2 weeks... Is there anyone else that has been "taking time off"?

Not a single other player, no.

You'll end up probably seeing an opt out or two way down the depth chart like you're going to see everywhere else but those are essentially 'early entries into the portal,' IMO.

Liucci

In reply to beerad12man •  4:31p 

Staff

AG

Boo Weekley said:

I've heard some pretty bad/troubling things about team chemistry and the vibe in the locker room lately, which seems to be inline with this development. Apparently practices have been extra sloppy and uninspired too. I'm still looking fwd to CFB, but not expecting anything from this team this yr. 

beerad12man said:

I haven't been hearing this at all. Who's your source?

Worst case is that the season usually has begun by now. My guess is, some are just ancy. Let the season get here and see where chemistry is at. So far, I've heard the opposite vibe with energy.

You have zero basis for comparison. Zero as in, even if that were 100% true and there was no bias coming from whoever delivered that message to you, you STILL wouldn't have any clue what was going on inside of programs around the country right now in the most uncertain time (and certainly football season) any of us have ever experienced. I wouldn't believe everything you've heard but every single coach I've talked to over the past two months - head coaches and assistants - are dealing with more than the common fan could imagine. This is the biggest example of most not wanting to know how the sausage is being made and just get to the season and see how things pan out.

With the exception of what went on two weeks ago when the players marched (with their coaches' support, mind you), things haven't been nearly as bad as what your friend is telling you and the group is actually doing a very good job of working together and has been problem-free.

As for your 'sloppy practices' intel. Again, you're in fall camp for six or seven weeks and regularly taking 2-3 off of practice because that's all that is allotted. It's actually NOW - two weeks out - that you can in any way expect things to starting looking more cohesive and streamlined. This is a tremendous overreaction to info that only contained partial truth.

• Hook 'Em 1