Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Interesting dilemma for them as the next great freshman is black. 

I wonder what happens if Stowers blows up this year and displays an interest in current affairs?   Actual blue bloods who have demonstrated greater sensitivity/support toward their athletes and racial justice come calling then, does he reconsider his commitment to aggy?

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

If you take out your decoder ring and read Billy's reply to Boo Weekley, he's basically validating the entire thing.  When Looch says "haven't been nearly as bad as what your friend is telling you" -- note that the OP didn't say how bad it was, just that it was bad/troubling with the chemistry/vibe, but Looch knows it's not nearly as bad as his friend is telling him?

He clearly admits that practice has been sloppy - but that NOW it will be fixed. The other ones didn't count. 

fucking brutal. 

Yeah that's Billy straight up telling us practices have been dogshit.

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

If you take out your decoder ring and read Billy's reply to Boo Weekley, he's basically validating the entire thing.  When Looch says "haven't been nearly as bad as what your friend is telling you" -- note that the OP didn't say how bad it was, just that it was bad/troubling with the chemistry/vibe, but Looch knows it's not nearly as bad as his friend is telling him?

He clearly admits that practice has been sloppy - but that NOW it will be fixed. The other ones didn't count. 

fucking brutal. 

So.. would you say they are one bad loss from losing the locker room??

55 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Now Wright is buried on a thin depth chart and very likely sucks ass.  Kharma.  I hope that trailer house in Tomball or Ft. Worth or where ever he was from was worth it.  

You’re confusing him with Demas and he’s from Mesquite, but close enough for Surly geography standards. 

Tarp with an interesting piece on Chibuzo at C. 

Could surprising Chibuzo hold down the fort at center for A&M?

Pure uncut Jimbo ::

Chibuzo has slimmed down to 340 pounds since his arrival on campus and Fisher seemed to be pleased with what he saw from him last weekend. "I mean, he's a big guy, he's physical and big as inside defensive tackles are now, holding the point" said Fisher. "I think he has a chance to be a very good center in the future, I really do.”

Texas A&M fans were somewhat concerned a few days ago when they watched videos of the team's first scrimmage of fall camp, saw the first team offensive line going through drills, and then noticed the absence of starting center Ryan McCollum.

They also noticed that his backup, Luke Matthews, was not in the middle of the group either.

Instead, true freshman Smart Chibuzo was working with his teammates and to say the development raised eyebrows across Aggieland is probably something of an understatement.

Of course, there were instantly questions about the status of both McCollum and Matthews since they were expected to solidify a unit that had its concerns in 2019. McCollum was slated to be the starter at the position going into fall camp last year but was injured and eventually settled into being a backup at both guard spots. The Aggies may have missed his size and ability all season long while they were attempting to work three true frosh (tight end Jalen Wydermyer, running back Isaiah Spiller, and offensive linemen Kenyon Green) into the unit. Matthews is widely regarded as the Aggies' sixth man up front as he came to A&M as a four star rated offensive guard and has spent much of his time since the spring of 2019 learning the pivot.

It's not unusual for people to miss time with injuries in fall camp but A&M's deepest position coming into fall camp had seemingly been wiped out clean of experience. Not only that, while A&M opens against Vanderbilt, the tempo picks up considerably in weeks two and three when they go to Alabama and get Florida back at Kyle Field. Finally, Chibuzo was a long time commit before he signed with A&M but he was not one of the more highly rated members of the 2020 recruiting class and fans didn't know much about him.

“I like him, and I think he can play in there" said Fisher. "I've said this you can't have enough centers. We talk about quarterbacks and all these other positions, center is a very unique, hard thing to do and you got to develop guys there. So, I'm trying to make a plan to have guys and I think he could have a very big impact."

Chibuzo has slimmed down to 340 pounds since his arrival on campus and Fisher seemed to be pleased with what he saw from him last weekend.

"I mean, he's a big guy, he's physical and big as inside defensive tackles are now, holding the point" said Fisher. "I think he has a chance to be a very good center in the future, I really do.”

Notice that Fisher said in the future which not only insinuates that Chibuzo has some progress to make but also that one of the older players ahead of him will be back by the time that the season starts. Even so, Fisher noted that the offense appeared to be relatively functional which means that Chibuzo did at least a few things right while running the show.

"Very few pre snap penalties, had a few, but very few" he said. "Execution of getting plays communicated from the sideline into the game, the communication levels, not having delay of games, not having all the things. Those things procedurally they're self-inflicted wounds that you could control when our guys are very locked in and have handled that very well."

Here's a few things that we had to say about Chibuzo in a spring writeup:

- He is a massive player who relied on getting his hands on people and taking them where he wanted them to go. He has a big frame and long arms which serve theoretically him well as a pass protector.

- There are times (on film) when Chibuzo is relatively light on his feet. He does have the capacity as a run blocker or in pass protection to keep moving his feet after initial contact. In particular, he makes his size a factor by keeping his feet underneath him and using them to develop momentum so that his massive size comes into play.

- Chibuzo's size also allows him to take a defender's initial surge and hold up physically as he's not going to be give ground, at least at the high school level. In fact, many of his highlights consist of clips where the defender wins first contact but then Chibuzo grabs them and puts them on the ground.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fisher noted that the offense appeared to be relatively functional

Put up a banner!! 

58 minutes ago, golfclap said:

- Chibuzo's size also allows him to take a defender's initial surge and hold up physically as he's not going to be give ground, at least at the high school level. In fact, many of his highlights consist of clips where the defender wins first contact but then Chibuzo grabs them and puts them on the ground.

There is so much gold here. Is this written as a positive...I can't tell if Tarp knows this is a big negative. He's not going to just be able to grab D1 defensive tackles and put them on the ground like he did to 220lb high school linemen. He's going to get torched off the snap because he's slow as shit and then there is no plan B.

I'm sure Tarp knows this, I'm just always blown away how the mods can write a sentence that is on it's face bad but is meant to give the rubes hope at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm really confused about the status of starter Ryan McCollum and backup Luke Matthews. 

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Of course, there were instantly questions about the status of both McCollum and Matthews since they were expected to solidify a unit that had its concerns in 2019. McCollum was slated to be the starter at the position going into fall camp last year but was injured and eventually settled into being a backup at both guard spots. The Aggies may have missed his size and ability all season long while they were attempting to work three true frosh (tight end Jalen Wydermyer, running back Isaiah Spiller, and offensive linemen Kenyon Green) into the unit. Matthews is widely regarded as the Aggies' sixth man up front as he came to A&M as a four star rated offensive guard and has spent much of his time since the spring of 2019 learning the pivot.

It's not unusual for people to miss time with injuries in fall camp but A&M's deepest position coming into fall camp had seemingly been wiped out clean of experience. Not only that, while A&M opens against Vanderbilt, the tempo picks up considerably in weeks two and three when they go to Alabama and get Florida back at Kyle Field. Finally, Chibuzo was a long time commit before he signed with A&M but he was not one of the more highly rated members of the 2020 recruiting class and fans didn't know much about him.

Are they injured or not?

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I'm really confused about the status of starter Ryan McCollum and backup Luke Matthews.  Are they injured or not?

You're not alone. The mods on 247 have been asked but have never answered, and that along with this article make me suspicious. Was wondering if it was nagging injuries or perhaps COVID-related. Either way, Chibuzo was a RT with the 2s and within a few days was the C with the 1s, so ... 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I read it as McCollum is hurt. He’d be starting for certain if healthy. 

The weird part was explaining mccollum’s 2019. If I understand correctly, he was scheduled to be the starting center but got hurt and ended up being the backup guard. And that somehow is supposed to explain why him being the starting center this season is a good thing and he will be better than the guy last year that he was supposed to be better than but couldn’t take his job. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

The weird part was explaining mccollum’s 2019. If I understand correctly, he was scheduled to be the starting center but got hurt and ended up being the backup guard. And that somehow is supposed to explain why him being the starting center this season is a good thing and he will be better than the guy last year that he was supposed to be better than but couldn’t take his job. 

Maybe a nagging shoulder issue on the arm he uses to snap a football? 

17 hours ago, Getafix said:

You all will be glad to know that Dylan Wright is picking up the slack.

image.thumb.png.0a9bbb2a36d17a5843cc8fe6007c1fc5.png

Another guy that hasn't been mentioned a ton at A&M is Jalen Preston. Dude was a beast at Manvel in 2018. He'll be a RS Soph this year. I'm interested to see if he hasn't seen much time due to being behind Davis and Ausborn or because he hasn't translated.

I mean he's the same year as Eagles, Moore, and Woodard.

Eagles and Moore were behind Johnson, LJH, and Duvernay, and even Woodard has had more production than Preston.

Edited by OnAComputer

17 hours ago, Getafix said:

You all will be glad to know that Dylan Wright is picking up the slack.

16 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I can't believe I was really disappointed when he took that bag. 

15 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Now Wright is buried on a thin depth chart and very likely sucks ass.

I still can't figure Wright out at all. If he is constantly injured with shitty little nagging injuries, or if he just flat out DGAF. I say that because every single time you see him in an aggy video clip (and honestly, he's not in a ton) he looks like he's moving in quicksand and I don't mean he's slower than expected, I mean he looks like he's underwater and everyone else is not. I just remember the first time the 2019 practice vid was posted I said at the time, I've never seen slower feet on a skill position player in my life. 

Go to the 1:57 mark and watch all the WRs in this drill and look at Wright. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/first-texas-a-m-practice-of-2019-fall-camp/

I just don't know how this could be the same guy we saw in high school, the UAAA game etc... 

54 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Another guy that hasn't been mentioned a ton at A&M is Jalen Preston. Dude was a beast at Manvel in 2018. He'll be a RS Soph this year. I'm interested to see if he hasn't seen much time due to being behind Davis and Ausborn or because he hasn't translated.

I mean he's the same year as Eagles, Moore, and Woodard.

Eagles and Moore were behind Johnson, LJH, and Duvernay, and even Woodard has had more production than Preston.

Jimbo’s offense doesn’t suit raw athletic WRs

Supposedly Preston was going to transfer this off-season to UH, but Jimbo convinced him to stay by telling him he’d start

Not sure how good UH is right now, but Holgo wouldn’t let Preston linger on the bench 

29 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I still can't figure Wright out at all. If he is constantly injured with shitty little nagging injuries, or if he just flat out DGAF. I say that because every single time you see him in an aggy video clip (and honestly, he's not in a ton) he looks like he's moving in quicksand and I don't mean he's slower than expected, I mean he looks like he's underwater and everyone else is not. I just remember the first time the 2019 practice vid was posted I said at the time, I've never seen slower feet on a skill position player in my life. 

Go to the 1:57 mark and watch all the WRs in this drill and look at Wright. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/first-texas-a-m-practice-of-2019-fall-camp/

I just don't know how this could be the same guy we saw in high school, the UAAA game etc... 

It’s the offense

In a Gundy, Holgo, Briles, etc offense, the Preston, Wright, Demas types would be productive day one. In Jimbo’s, it’s probably more like year three or four, if ever 

• Hook 'Em 2