Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Wright, Preston, and Demas would be filthy right now.... in any other offense than Jimbo's

Maybe these guys play by default, but I haven't heard Wright's name mentioned at all.  Not much from Preston.  I honestly have no idea who the starting 3 will be.  Between this and and the TE situation, and OL, that offense is going to struggle this year.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Maybe these guys play by default, but I haven't heard Wright's name mentioned at all.  Not much from Preston.  I honestly have no idea who the starting 3 will be.  Between this and and the TE situation, and OL, that offense is going to struggle this year.

Tarp said something about Wright struggling a few days ago when the Ausbon stuff started to leak 

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Rk Player Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD

17 Jalen Preston         3 36 12.0 0 3 36 12.0 0
18 Ryan Renick         3 31 10.3 0 3 31 10.3 0
19 Kam Brown         2 19 9.5 0 2 19 9.5 0

22 Caleb Chapman         1 6 6.0 0 1 6 6.0 0

Here's the stats for last year for the the WR on the roster now

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, blacklab said:

JFC. We did better than that in the first 4 minutes of the UTEP game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

excited the waterboy GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2020 at 11:35 AM, Scholz said:

They should just go ahead and change their mascot from aggys to Loyal White Knights and literally burn crosses in the end zones.

Fun fact, for the first 3 years of aggy football they didn’t make a single field goal or extra point, missed them all.  They finally figured out the crosses in the end zone have 2 uprights.   If you cross your eyes and squint you can still see their original design.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So all their receivers the past couple seasons now weren’t as good as the guys sitting the bench behind them, it’s jimbo’s choice of who to play, but jimbo is still the best. Makes complete sense. 

Actually I think their young receivers are better than their predecessors, but S&C and maturity do make a difference.   They have some really good young guys, but if Demas ends up starting this year he won’t always be running wild against 5-9 155lb DBs from HS.  
someone like a Surtain or Stingley are going to break that poor kid in half.  

I think they have some talented young WRs but Ausbon was the #73 composite recruit coming out of HS. 

Although not great numbers he's put up 571, 375, and 872 yards in a system that doesn't maximize WRs. He probably would have produced another 700-1K yards this year. 

It's far from a guarantee that guys like Preston and Wright are more talented than Ausbon. Especially in Jimbo's system. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think they have some talented young WRs but Ausbon was the #73 composite recruit coming out of HS. 

Although not great numbers he's put up 571, 375, and 872 yards in a system that doesn't maximize WRs. He probably would have produced another 700-1K yards this year. 

It's far from a guarantee that guys like Preston and Wright are more talented than Ausbon. Especially in Jimbo's system. 

I'm beginning to think Wright probably isn't going to pan out for them. Isn't Jimbo's system pretty complicated? I believe someone mentioned somewhere on this thread or another that he was having trouble picking up the offense. 

That's not to say he won't ever get it, but I can also see him portaling out. I don't know how much he's bought in, but seeing as most think he was purchased, it would be wise for him to go somewhere like Baylor or Tech where their systems aren't overly complex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Actually I think their young receivers are better than their predecessors, but S&C and maturity do make a difference.

That's almost certainly true in terms of raw talent.  But their offense doesn't really rely on putting freak athletes in space and letting them go off.  Their offense is predicted on super crisp routes and understandings of coverage, as well as WRs blocking for the run game.  In no universe are three super raw, young WRs better than the guys who just left.

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

"Our top 2 receivers averaged more than a first down for every reception."

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

out of curiosity, is it improper benefits for a booster (she is the one who shared the receipts on her $1000 gift to the AD) to be looking for housing for a current student athlete?

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Role of Boosters

Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

What are examples of impermissible recruiting activities?

As a booster, you may not:

• Contact a prospect in-person on-campus or off campus.
  • Contact a prospect by telephone, email, Internet or letter.
  • Provide gifts or free or reduced-cost services to a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.
  • Employ relatives, guardians or friends of a prospect as an inducement for the prospect’s enrollment and athletics participation at a university.
  • Become directly or indirectly involved in making arrangements for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to receive money or financial aid of any kind.
  • Provide transportation for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.
  • Provide free or reduced-cost tickets for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to attend an athletic event.
  • Provide any material benefit (e.g., meals, cash) to the coach of a prospect, including high school, two-year college, AAU and summer team coaches.

Pretty cut and dry 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Weird that Wright is not mentioned in this writeup, they list every other WR on the roster. Also, it's awesome that after loosing three starters, he concludes the WR will be faster with a higher ceiling and big play capability. 

- At this point in time, the starting three receivers will probably be redshirt sophomore Jalen Preston at the X, redshirt freshman Kam Brown at the Y, and redshirt junior Hezekiah Jones at the Z. They'll probably move Jones round between all three spots since he has more time in the offense than anyone else and can play all three positions. The guys off of the bench will be frosh Demond Demas, redshirt sophomore Caleb Chapman, and redshirt frosh Chase Lane. Each of them should be faster than the guys that A&M is replacing from last year.

- Preston had a couple of touchdown catches in the most recent scrimmage. He can take the top off of a defense and can make people miss in traffic almost like a running back. It takes time to learn this offense and he's farther along than ever in that regard. Brown may be more quick than fast but he's plenty fast enough and also had a couple of touchdown receptions this weekend. Jones had a touchdown reception for the second straight scrimmage and he's a former national track guy.

- Lane is slowed right now or else you would have been hearing a lot more from him. Demas is in the process of becoming more consistent both with regard to catching the ball as well knowing the routes, separation, and coverages required to be an every down player at this point in time. There's a feeling that his time is coming...but it's going to be later on down the line (although he too had a touchdown reception this weekend).

- Overall, there's a lot more optimism than you would imagine on the surface concerning the receiving corps of a program that has lost its top three wide receivers from last year with regard to numbers of receptions and then a player who was also projected to start this season. The Aggies should be faster (think 2019 Alabama) with a higher ceiling and more big play capability (although also a lower floor should things go south) which is the next step in the evolution of A&M's attack under Jimbo Fisher.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Weird that Wright is not mentioned in this writeup, they list every other WR on the roster. Also, it's awesome that after loosing three starters, he concludes the WR will be faster with a higher ceiling and big play capability. 

Any time the guy who’s by far your best receiver quits, you just know your WR corps will be better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

"The Aggies should be faster (think 2019 Alabama) with a higher ceiling and more big play capability (although also a lower floor should things go south) which is the next step in the evolution of A&M's attack under Jimbo Fisher."  

spiritual meditation GIF

Hahaha holy shit. I didn’t read the update. They actually said think 2019 Alabama? Wow. 

The only thing they have in common with 2019 Alabama is that neither of those teams will be playing in the CCG. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hahaha holy shit. I didn’t read the update. They actually said think 2019 Alabama? Wow. 

The only thing they have in common with 2019 Alabama is that neither of those teams will be playing in the CCG. 

Henry Ruggs:  247Sports 5 star, 1st round pick

Jerry Jeudy:  247 Composite 5 star, 1st round pick

Jaylen Waddle: Composite #39, 1st round projection

DeVonta Smith: Composite 5 star, 1st round projection

Yep, the Aggie receiving corps reminds me of them.  Only better, now that they rid themselves of Ausbon the Anchor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

How many fucking touchdowns did A&M's secondary give up this weekend?

7 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Admittedly I didn't follow his recruitment very well, the early bag drop to the ags muted my interest... But why does surly think Dylan Wright is amazing?  I only saw him during the all American game and he looked rather pedestrian even then.   

He’s got all the measurables if he ever puts it all together, but I’ve never been that high on him. Him being a top 100 guy seemed way too high. Guys like him with great measurables but poor production seem to have a high bust rate. Every year a guy like him gets rated high, but a lot of them end up not doing much. Guys like Tyrell Shavers and Tommy Bush come to mind. Even Brennan Eagles is comparable. 

Then you add in the fact he decided to play in Jimbo’s offense with Craig as a coach, who’s known to be a great recruiter but poor teacher, and his busy profile was always pretty high. We’ll see though, he still has some time to put it all together. 

20 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Admittedly I didn't follow his recruitment very well, the early bag drop to the ags muted my interest... But why does surly think Dylan Wright is amazing?  I only saw him during the all American game and he looked rather pedestrian even then.   

Judging a WR based off a single stupid all star game is dumb

He's talented because he's tall, pretty fast, and makes acrobatic catches. Texas wanted him. He probably would have transferred to get away from Mehringer being a doosh and not teaching him anything about receiving. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Then you add in the fact he decided to play in Jimbo’s offense with Craig as a coach, who’s known to be a great recruiter but poor teacher, and his busy profile was always pretty high. We’ll see though, he still has some time to put it all together. 

Unless he transfers out - he's not going to put it together. I've never seen a dude give less effort in practice clips in my life. He clearly DGAF and/or is always injured. Or both. 

16 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

But why does surly think Dylan Wright is amazing? 

When playing for TrueBuzz (7on7) he played against some of the best DBs in the nation and was just killing them. He was really good at finding dead spots in a zone and then going and plucking the ball. He's not amazing in the , but he was a guy that in a good system (assuming good effort and attention to detail in an offense that actually used his talents) would absolutely cause problems. He's big with decent quickness and good hops and had a really aggressive belief that each ball was his and went to the ball. He was very worthy of a top 200 ranking. Jimbo and Craig are about as bad a duo as possible for him. He needed to be pushed and engaged and he needed A LOT of work on details and technique. 

• Hook 'Em 3