Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

More Hines complaining

Reveal hidden contents

EidHHjVWkAEQSJJ?format=jpg&name=360x360EidHIE9WAAIIUBt?format=png&name=360x360EidHISdXsAE6Im1?format=png&name=360x360EidHId0XYAUUhy1?format=jpg&name=360x360

I'll admit to not paying the closest attention, but uhh, how is that statement backtracking? Though I would agree that racist fans harassing him on twitter was not, in fact, the response he was looking for.

I know it's early but has a single out of sate recruit been a success yet? My guess is there's an insane bust rate with this group listed below. It's already happened in the '18 class and I don't see much out of that '19 group. 

From the '18 class:

Tank Jenkins, Jeremiah Martin, Jashaun Corbin, James Foster, Glen Beal, Charles Strong,  Mohamed Diallo.

From the '19 class:

Elijah Blades, Andre White, Derick Hunter, Ke'Shun Brown, Kenyon Jackson, Zach Calzada, Adarious Jones, Tarian Lee, Chris Russell.

Sternberger has been the only success OOS. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I know it's early but has a single out of sate recruit been a success yet? My guess is there's an insane bust rate with this group listed below. It's already happened in the '18 class and I don't see much out of that '19 group. 

From the '18 class:

Tank Jenkins, Jeremiah Martin, Jashaun Corbin, James Foster, Glen Beal, Charles Strong,  Mohamed Diallo.

From the '19 class:

Elijah Blades, Andre White, Derick Hunter, Ke'Shun Brown, Kenyon Jackson, Zach Calzada, Adarious Jones, Tarian Lee, Chris Russell.

Jace Sternberger was from Oklahoma who played at Kansas, then JUCO, then Aggy

Also, Perroni straight up speculating on potential transfers out of the program based on Jimbo's half ass presser is wild. On most boards, mods will ban posters for speculating about specific names of potential transfers if they don't have real info 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't even remember Ke'Shun Brown as a recruit

Typical OOS aggy, he was a hot prospect at S as a rising Soph but grew out of the position and ended up a tweener and interest from the regional schools waned. The early offers and interest from UGa, LSU, Bama dried up so he was basically down to Tenn and aggy as his only bigger committable offers. He got an Elko/Fong bump to 4* during the very last updates before NSD after making it clear that he'd join Foster and Jenkins in the LitStation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Typical OOS aggy, he was a hot prospect at S as a rising Soph but grew out of the position and ended up a tweener and interest from the regional schools waned. The early offers and interest from UGa, LSU, Bama dried up so he was basically down to Tenn and aggy as his only bigger committable offers. He got an Elko/Fong bump to 4* during the very last updates before NSD after making it clear that he'd join Foster and Jenkins in the LitStation. 

It's funny they keep talking about how our recruiting classes are "inflated" when reality is this is much more true with their recruiting classes. Most these OOS recruits get the Elko bump. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I'm not the world's biggest Dallas or SMU fan but Is that supposed to be a dig in some way? SMU was 10-3 last year and will clearly have a good run this year.and are recruiting realy well. I'll take SMU chicks any day - you might even fall into some old money and set yourself for a cushy job and early retirement. Sure,  Dallas is no LitStation but I feel like you could maybe have a good time in Dallas. Maybe. 

Is there anyone here who would rather spend 2 years at aggy in College Station over SMU? anyone? 

And he's from Plano.  Chance to play close to home for 2 years while getting a masters.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RGBIII said:

That contradicts literally everything all the other 9.95ers have said....he wants to have less wear and tear and be part of a committee 

"Hey LJ, this seniors starter is going to be gone next year and we are going to give you the rock 40+ times a game against LSU and Bama, you will love it!"- aggy sales pitch

The unsaid part of that pitch: “and still lose” is likely going to make a difference, or at least it should.

20 hours ago, Orange&White said:

The most amazing thing is that they still haven’t pieced together that their racist stance on the Sully statue is what is causing this and is what will continue to destroy their recruiting. They still think this is just a few bad seeds that they can bid good riddance to and move on to next years great season. 

Their complete and total disconnect is truly remarkable.

That's my reaction, too. These players have a chance to be red-ass Aggies but they choose to stand up against racism directed at them and their families instead? Who in their right mind does that? 

Of course the Aggies don't get it. If everyone knew the truth about A&M, everybody would want to be an Aggie. It's that simple.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

From the '18 class: Tank Jenkins, Jeremiah Martin, Jashaun Corbin, James Foster, Glen Beal, Charles Strong,  Mohamed Diallo.

From the '19 class: Elijah Blades, Andre White, Derick Hunter, Ke'Shun Brown, Kenyon Jackson, Zach Calzada, Adarious Jones, Tarian Lee, Chris Russell.

Sternberger has been the only success OOS. 

They better get that hit rate up the 2020 class has 14 OOS guys.

Harris, Jackson, Johnson, Doyle, Morris, Diggs, Muhammed, Cooper, George, Moten, Raikes, Walker, Hubbard, Jackson

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

I'm not the world's biggest Dallas or SMU fan but Is that supposed to be a dig in some way? SMU was 10-3 last year and will clearly have a good run this year.and are recruiting realy well. I'll take SMU chicks any day - you might even fall into some old money and set yourself for a cushy job and early retirement. Sure,  Dallas is no LitStation but I feel like you could maybe have a good time in Dallas. Maybe. 

Is there anyone here who would rather spend 2 years at aggy in College Station over SMU? anyone? 

And outside of veterinary or engineering, most employers will be far more interested in an SMU degree on an applicant's resume than aggy.

• Hook 'Em 3

The entire notion that quitting aggy football, whatever the reason, is somehow a precursor to failing in life is peak aggy for me. If you're encouraging a kid to think about the "end game", please also explain how playing for a perpetually shit cfb program in the year of our lord 2020 is going to drastically improve the prospects for these kids. Isn't that what your shitty degree is for? 

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That is eye popping. Only one Aggy LB played high school football in Texas. 

17 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Only 2 DL from TX to boot (from the pic)

Don't y'all remember?  Texas hs football isn't big boy sec style football.  If Aggy wants to compete with bama and Clemson then they HAVE to recruit the players that bama and Clemson didn't want.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

It is a little shocking, but in all honesty, Texas doesn't produce that many great LBs relative to the skill positions. 7 on 7 has kind of crapped on LB development, IMO.

Patterson has made a living picking the right safeties to spin down. If BJ Foster and Tyler Owens, who are right on the borderline size-wise for Ash's defense, could join Overshown on that train for us we'd be sitting pretty.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

It is a little shocking, but in all honesty, Texas doesn't produce that many great LBs relative to the skill positions. 7 on 7 has kind of crapped on LB development, IMO.

You win Aggy. Baron Browning, Kenneth Murray, DaShaun White, and Josh White all suck. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Remember that time high school coaches got mad at Charlie Strong for (barely) recruiting out of state? I member...

But really, though. They should be going scorched earth on Jimbo, in comparison.

I mean, aren't they? We just had $9.95'er that would tell the truth, theirs would cover it up

49 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Remember that time high school coaches got mad at Charlie Strong for (barely) recruiting out of state? I member...

But really, though. They should be going scorched earth on Jimbo, in comparison.

Also remember THSC thought Rhule was the most trust worthy college coach. 

It’s almost like Texas high school football coaches are grade A fuckin dipshits. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You win Aggy. Baron Browning, Kenneth Murray, DaShaun White, and Josh White all suck. 

Yeah, i know there are some good ones. But relative to skill positions, it is light. Look at our wr commit shadrach banks. Probably should be playing lb. It's not the kids so much as it is where they are choosing to and/or having to play.

24 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Yeah, i know there are some good ones. But relative to skill positions, it is light. Look at our wr commit shadrach banks. Probably should be playing lb. It's not the kids so much as it is where they are choosing to and/or having to play.

This is an interesting take considering 3/5 LBs from Texas HS's went in the 1st round of the 2020 NFL draft.

Edited by HtownHorn

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is an interesting take considering 3/5 LBs from Texas HS's went in the 1st round of the 2020 NFL draft.

true, but aggy has no chance with blue chip players like that. They also don't want to spin anyone down because SEC. So once you take away the top LB's and then the large safeties who would excel at LB, there's no one left in Texas really.

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / Running back goes from position of worry to strength for A&M

Spoiler

Running back goes from position of worry to strength for A&M

Brian Perroni

After Texas A&M’s regular-season finale against LSU a season ago, the running back position was hit incredibly hard by transfers. In fact, then-true freshman Isaiah Spiller was the only scholarship running back on the roster heading into bowl season.

The Aggies moved fellow true freshman Ainias Smith from wide receiver to the backfield before the bowl and he has stayed there heading into his sophomore campaign. But, there was still a need for more bodies and talent at the position.

A&M went out and signed four backs in the class of 2020. Speedy four-star Devon Achane is a do-everything type player that will line up multiple places while junior college transfer Earnest Crownover and true freshmen Deondre Jackson and Darvon Hubbard are all between-the-tackles runners.

Though Spiller and Smith will likely see the majority of carries this fall, Aggie head coach Jimbo Fisher is incredibly happy with what he has seen out of the group in fall camp.

“I've never had that many guys as freshmen or newcomers come in and really absorb that much and play,” Fisher said. “Usually you have one or sometimes you may have two at the most, but you know these guys have done a good. I mean, they're still learning, but they've done a good job, they really have.”

Fisher says Crownover, who began his college career at West Point’s prep school before making his way to Kilgore Junior College, could provide tough matchups as a sophomore this season.

“He's had a really good camp I mean blocking, catching, running,” Fisher said. “He's big, he's physical, he's fast, he's good with the ball in his hands and he's done a great job.”

Fisher says all four bring something special to the table.

I've been pleased with all them, Achane. Boy, he learns well, has great hands, can run between the tackles very well and runs outside,” Fisher said. “Deondre Jackson's physical and tough and carries the ball. Darvon Hubbard is very talented, good with the ball in his hands, can catch, all those guys got great ball skills. They run with power.

“I've been really happy with our backs, I really have. I mean, these guys have done a really good job of learning and playing and feel comfortable. Especially for the freshmen as far as they're along right now, they've been really good.”

Smith has also taken notice of the new players around him. He was specifically asked about the freshmen at the position.

“I really like Darvon Hubbard,” Smith said. “Really, the entire running back room – Darvon Hubbard, Deondre Jackson, Von Achane.”

With more depth at running back and the wide receiver position being the one with lack of experience, it might have been tempting for Fisher to move Smith back to wideout. However, the head coach likes his versatility in the backfield.

“No, he's a running back and there's packages and things he can do, but that's where he'll play,” Fisher said.

“Ainias is a very versatile player and allows you to create mismatches, there's no doubt in my opinion,” Fisher added. “Ainias is very, very attuned at that and understands because not only does he have physical skills, he has great mental skills. The ability to learn and to retain is pretty amazing.”

Smith sees his, as well as others’, versatility being key for the offense moving forward.

“I believe that it is very important,” the sophomore said. “I feel like, you’re not able to have [too many] athletes on the field. And, with this offense, we have numbers of athletes that can get the ball in their hands and do something with it.

“I feel like, with me just adding on to that, there’s a number of options we can do, not only in the run game but in the pass game, the option, everything. We have every opportunity to score with all the athletes we have.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1