Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / Running back goes from position of worry to strength for A&M

Reveal hidden contents

Running back goes from position of worry to strength for A&M

Brian Perroni

After Texas A&M’s regular-season finale against LSU a season ago, the running back position was hit incredibly hard by transfers. In fact, then-true freshman Isaiah Spiller was the only scholarship running back on the roster heading into bowl season.

The Aggies moved fellow true freshman Ainias Smith from wide receiver to the backfield before the bowl and he has stayed there heading into his sophomore campaign. But, there was still a need for more bodies and talent at the position.

A&M went out and signed four backs in the class of 2020. Speedy four-star Devon Achane is a do-everything type player that will line up multiple places while junior college transfer Earnest Crownover and true freshmen Deondre Jackson and Darvon Hubbard are all between-the-tackles runners.

Though Spiller and Smith will likely see the majority of carries this fall, Aggie head coach Jimbo Fisher is incredibly happy with what he has seen out of the group in fall camp.

“I've never had that many guys as freshmen or newcomers come in and really absorb that much and play,” Fisher said. “Usually you have one or sometimes you may have two at the most, but you know these guys have done a good. I mean, they're still learning, but they've done a good job, they really have.”

Fisher says Crownover, who began his college career at West Point’s prep school before making his way to Kilgore Junior College, could provide tough matchups as a sophomore this season.

“He's had a really good camp I mean blocking, catching, running,” Fisher said. “He's big, he's physical, he's fast, he's good with the ball in his hands and he's done a great job.”

Fisher says all four bring something special to the table.

I've been pleased with all them, Achane. Boy, he learns well, has great hands, can run between the tackles very well and runs outside,” Fisher said. “Deondre Jackson's physical and tough and carries the ball. Darvon Hubbard is very talented, good with the ball in his hands, can catch, all those guys got great ball skills. They run with power.

“I've been really happy with our backs, I really have. I mean, these guys have done a really good job of learning and playing and feel comfortable. Especially for the freshmen as far as they're along right now, they've been really good.”

Smith has also taken notice of the new players around him. He was specifically asked about the freshmen at the position.

“I really like Darvon Hubbard,” Smith said. “Really, the entire running back room – Darvon Hubbard, Deondre Jackson, Von Achane.”

With more depth at running back and the wide receiver position being the one with lack of experience, it might have been tempting for Fisher to move Smith back to wideout. However, the head coach likes his versatility in the backfield.

“No, he's a running back and there's packages and things he can do, but that's where he'll play,” Fisher said.

“Ainias is a very versatile player and allows you to create mismatches, there's no doubt in my opinion,” Fisher added. “Ainias is very, very attuned at that and understands because not only does he have physical skills, he has great mental skills. The ability to learn and to retain is pretty amazing.”

Smith sees his, as well as others’, versatility being key for the offense moving forward.

“I believe that it is very important,” the sophomore said. “I feel like, you’re not able to have [too many] athletes on the field. And, with this offense, we have numbers of athletes that can get the ball in their hands and do something with it.

“I feel like, with me just adding on to that, there’s a number of options we can do, not only in the run game but in the pass game, the option, everything. We have every opportunity to score with all the athletes we have.”

We've seen this before... will turn out to be a case of the defense he's watching them compete against right now really, really sucks

Wait, Darvon Hubbard is 210 pounds now? Why? That guy was a decent looking one cut RB who bounced everything outside and also played some WR, esp in that slot as a flex. Why would they have added 20+ pounds to him, esp if they already had Crownover and Deondre Jackson? I get that they are excited to have Achane and Smith as change of pace guys but why add weight to Hubbard who shows nice hands and could be a really nice 3rd down back, giving you a lot more running options than Achane/Smith but still dangerous in the passing game.

I assume it's more of Jimbo's antiquated bullshit to go along with the cubes.  

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'd posit that our shittastic season last year had a lot to do with players hating certain coaches. funny how mass disconnect manifests itself on the field.

as someone stated earlier, aggy is one loss away from full blown mutiny. you can feel it, the frustration is simmering in the locker room.

Do you have inside sources in the bldg at CS too??

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Do you have inside sources in the bldg at CS too??

not at all. just reading the tea leaves about the players attempt at social justice met with intolerance and racism by the very students (current and former) that they are playing for, the almost silence by their coaches, and the internet rumblings of discontent among the players.

we heard the same shit about our locker room last year. there was too much smoke then and we saw how that turned out and there seems to be too much smoke now to dismiss this.

3 hours ago, jordanaggie said:

Yeah, i know there are some good ones. But relative to skill positions, it is light. Look at our wr commit shadrach banks. Probably should be playing lb. It's not the kids so much as it is where they are choosing to and/or having to play.

Coaches told them what they wanted to hear and now they have to at least begin where they were told they'd be given a shot to compete or start.

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / Running back goes from position of worry to strength for A&M

Hide contents

Running back goes from position of worry to strength for A&M

Brian Perroni

After Texas A&M’s regular-season finale against LSU a season ago, the running back position was hit incredibly hard by transfers. In fact, then-true freshman Isaiah Spiller was the only scholarship running back on the roster heading into bowl season.

The Aggies moved fellow true freshman Ainias Smith from wide receiver to the backfield before the bowl and he has stayed there heading into his sophomore campaign. But, there was still a need for more bodies and talent at the position.

A&M went out and signed four backs in the class of 2020. Speedy four-star Devon Achane is a do-everything type player that will line up multiple places while junior college transfer Earnest Crownover and true freshmen Deondre Jackson and Darvon Hubbard are all between-the-tackles runners.

Though Spiller and Smith will likely see the majority of carries this fall, Aggie head coach Jimbo Fisher is incredibly happy with what he has seen out of the group in fall camp.

“I've never had that many guys as freshmen or newcomers come in and really absorb that much and play,” Fisher said. “Usually you have one or sometimes you may have two at the most, but you know these guys have done a good. I mean, they're still learning, but they've done a good job, they really have.”

Fisher says Crownover, who began his college career at West Point’s prep school before making his way to Kilgore Junior College, could provide tough matchups as a sophomore this season.

“He's had a really good camp I mean blocking, catching, running,” Fisher said. “He's big, he's physical, he's fast, he's good with the ball in his hands and he's done a great job.”

Fisher says all four bring something special to the table.

I've been pleased with all them, Achane. Boy, he learns well, has great hands, can run between the tackles very well and runs outside,” Fisher said. “Deondre Jackson's physical and tough and carries the ball. Darvon Hubbard is very talented, good with the ball in his hands, can catch, all those guys got great ball skills. They run with power.

“I've been really happy with our backs, I really have. I mean, these guys have done a really good job of learning and playing and feel comfortable. Especially for the freshmen as far as they're along right now, they've been really good.”

Smith has also taken notice of the new players around him. He was specifically asked about the freshmen at the position.

“I really like Darvon Hubbard,” Smith said. “Really, the entire running back room – Darvon Hubbard, Deondre Jackson, Von Achane.”

With more depth at running back and the wide receiver position being the one with lack of experience, it might have been tempting for Fisher to move Smith back to wideout. However, the head coach likes his versatility in the backfield.

“No, he's a running back and there's packages and things he can do, but that's where he'll play,” Fisher said.

“Ainias is a very versatile player and allows you to create mismatches, there's no doubt in my opinion,” Fisher added. “Ainias is very, very attuned at that and understands because not only does he have physical skills, he has great mental skills. The ability to learn and to retain is pretty amazing.”

Smith sees his, as well as others’, versatility being key for the offense moving forward.

“I believe that it is very important,” the sophomore said. “I feel like, you’re not able to have [too many] athletes on the field. And, with this offense, we have numbers of athletes that can get the ball in their hands and do something with it.

“I feel like, with me just adding on to that, there’s a number of options we can do, not only in the run game but in the pass game, the option, everything. We have every opportunity to score with all the athletes we have.”

Wow, Jimbo says all their RBs are "good".  How are they all gonna win the heisman?

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I'd posit that our shittastic season last year had a lot to do with players hating certain coaches. funny how mass disconnect manifests itself on the field.

as someone stated earlier, aggy is one loss away from full blown mutiny. you can feel it, the frustration is simmering in the locker room.

Best case scenario is the Vandy game gets cancelled and they start 0-2, but going 1-2 with bad losses to Bama and UF could still do the trick. 

"Running back goes from position of worry to strength for A&M"

1. Isaiah Spiller - RB - 4 Star - meh last season

2. Ainias Smith - WR RB - 3 Star - switched to RB for Bowl game. zero experience

3. Devon Achane - "RB"/Slot/Athlete - 4 Star - true freshman. never played a down

4. Earnest Crownover - RB - 3 Star - JUCO transfer - chose Aggy over Baylor

5. Darvon Hubbard  - RB - 3 Star - got every offer under the sun from 2017/2018 tape. Committed to Ohio State. 2019 tape released. Everyone abandons ship. pushed out of Ohio State. He chooses Aggy over Purdue, San Diego State, and Utah. 

This reminds me of the articles jag writers for Texas put out about the QB room during Charlie's tenure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Simmons 247 take on depth chart:

This Texas A&M team is a dark horse SEC contender and a popular sleeper pick throughout college football. It’s easy to see why based on the depth chart. There is experience and size returning on the offensive line. Most of the starters are back on defense and the roster effectively blends experience with young talent. But with Jahmon Ausbon opting out of the 2020 season and Camron Buckley getting knocked out because of injury, the Aggies return virtually no wide receiver production from last year’s team. 

Throw in the preseason injury to Baylor Cupp at tight end and Ainias Smith being listed among the running backs, and there is a clear necessity for someone to step up on the outside. While the A&M roster may have plenty of candidates, good luck narrowing down who the primary targets will be. Jimbo Fisher opted to list 10 players as collective co-starters among the three wide receiver spots. There is plenty of talent within that group but we’ll wait until Saturday to determine who the go-to outside options will be.

not today no GIF by Flo From Progressive

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I wonder why they had Trainor's mom go first? 

Because she's white? Listen, she still has the fucking crazy eyes.

Also, the bankhead family looks real fucking healthy. It's like they watched the Klumps and said "You know what, we can do that better because we're white."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

Didn't his dad used to post on 247 or Texags about how unfair the recruiting services were when assessing Josh and that he was being dinged because of his A&M commitment? Or am I making that up?

17 minutes ago, Boerne Horn said:

image.png.c5a0785ebd73917d59123776176b43f1.png

Apparently, it was his mother.  Somebody has to have screenshots.

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah he tweeted it, or replied to a tweet about rankings.

Thank you. Thank all of you. 

ec13ae1c30f76506d73a2a7694adacd8.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1