Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This.  Coburn, Sweat, Ossai and company would feast on that pathetic OL just like any DL with a pulse will do.  But well done Looch, you gave the answer all those clowns wanted to hear.

Texas would beat them by 21+

Their stockpile of safeties would get roasted by Texas' multitude of receivers.

Texas' D-Line would dismantle the depleted aggy O-Line.

No way their inexperience at WR would outclass Texas' veteran DBs.

This game would be over from the start. Our strengths play right into their weaknesses. The only area of concern would be the O-Line against their D-Line, but Texas doesn't lack talent there like ag loves to tout around.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This.  Coburn, Sweat, Ossai and company would feast on that pathetic OL just like any DL with a pulse will do.  But well done Looch, you gave the answer all those clowns wanted to hear.

That OL vs our DL would be absolutely hilarious...Alfred Collins would pick up McCollum like a baby and he’s currently our fourth best DL

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

That OL vs our DL would be absolutely hilarious...Alfred Collins would pick up McCollum like a baby and he’s currently our fourth best DL

Now imagine Jared Hocker or Layden Robinson blocking Coburn and Sweat and Dan Moore vs Ossai.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

If Elko stays 4 more years then that means his career has crashed into a bridge embankment 

I get the feeling that Elko would be a disaster of a head coach. You never really hear about his recruiting chops. The fact that he took a demotion in prestige, albeit for more money from ND to aggy, kinda tells me he has little interest in a head coaching job.

If A&M could score a couple of (or three) impressive wins this fall, it would be the total of all of their recent years combined.  Three impressive wins would be 3 teams above .500.  They are saying their losses were to elite SEC teams.  Whatever fills your bank account but we're not buying.  We whooped a Georgia and Missouri team that would beat aggy in any year and Texas did it like it was no big deal. 

14 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

First receiver this season to have a 100-yard game?

This is just asking me to guess because it could literally be any of about a half dozen wideouts. I think the Ags spread it around a lot in game one, and the sledding will be very tough in game two at Bama. My prediction is the first 100-yard receiving game happens against a tough Florida defense at Kyle Field. I’ll go with Demond Demas making that his breakout performance.

There have been a ton of injuries across all sports (NFL, soccer, baseball, basketball), and some think it’s because of the lack of true ramp-up time. Do you think that has a chance to carry over to college football? We’re going straight into an SEC schedule and don’t have ramp-up games early, but the SEC also extended the start of the season, which might help.

We’ll see. It’s certainly a concern, but I also think you make a good point that college football has a chance to avoid those pitfalls with a longer camp and easing into things (These athletes have also been working out with their S&C coaches since the start of June). Baseball didn’t have that. The NFL lost their entire off-season, but I do think diving straight into an SEC schedule will be an interesting case study for the ‘add a ninth conference game’ or ‘do away with the non-conference’ crowds.

Top 3 college games you’re looking forward to the most this weekend (other than A&M)?

Mississippi State at LSU, Kentucky at Auburn, Army at Cincinnati and a fourth — maybe this is just nostalgia talking — is FSU/Miami.

If/when Elko becomes head coach somewhere else, any names for DC that you’d like to see Jimbo go after?

I feel like I get asked this every week.

I think Elko is building a monster in College Station, and he knows it. He’s not in a rush to race out, and I think it will have to be the ideal first head coaching gig. He’ll make sure he handpicks the right one. That could be two, three, four years from now. I think speculating would be a waste of energy. We don’t know who the best of the best will be at that time.

Today? I like Clark Lea at Notre Dame (former Elko assistant). Pete Golding at Bama. I still think Todd Grantham is good at UF, and I like Jim Leonhard at Wisconsin. Here’s the thing: There’s no telling where guys like Pat Narduzzi, Will Muschamp or even Jeremy Pruitt would be if Elko hangs around for another 3-4 seasons (which would only be 5-6 total). I think he knows he’ll soon have an elite defense at A&M, and his stock will only climb the longer he sticks around.

What are your SEC Week 1 Pick’ Ems?

I like Kentucky to cover at Auburn, Tennessee to cover at South Carolina, Ole Miss to play Florida surprisingly close but lose. Bama, A&M and UGA cruise. Mississippi State makes things interesting and covers in Baton Rouge.

Who are YOU most excited to see play on Saturday?

So many to choose from, but if I had to narrow it down, I’d say Ainias, DeMarvin and the three in the secondary: Jaylon Jones, Brian George and Erick Young.

Who is a sorrier human of a head coach: Ed O or Tom Herman?

I don’t know about sorry humans, but you guys know I’ve heard enough over the years to know that I’m not a fan of Tom Herman at all. I think he’s as disingenuous as they come.

Does Demas get flagged for a backflip after catching his first TD Saturday??

I’d like to see him at least wait until he’s on the sideline to do it, but that might be wishful thinking.

Would Jimbo use Ainias Smith in a WR and RB role similar to Florida using Percy Harvin?

Oh, I think he’s definitely going to line up as both most Saturdays but a lot more as a running back, where he’ll be used in the run and pass games.

No, I’m not advocating for a return of the rivalry, but brutally honest question: If we played the sips on a neutral field on Saturday, who wins and why?

The A&M defensive line would absolutely dominate the Horns when Texas had the ball, and I believe you’d see A&M run the ball with success against the Texas defense. When the Aggies have done both of those things since Jimbo arrived in Aggieland, they’ve won.

Ehlinger is the playmaker who would cause big-time problems with his ability to keep plays and drives alive, but he and Ossai are about all that scare you in Burnt Orange.

I’d like to see the teams meet in a bowl this year because I think it would be highly competitive, but let’s not get it twisted: Texas is far from elite, and the Ags have lost to two ‘non-elite’ teams in two years under Jimbo, both on the road in 2018 in very close games (Auburn and Mississippi State).

I think they’d just grind the Horns down over four quarters, but who knows how this year will go. Honestly, we know very little about either squad. Texas was LUCKY to crack .500 in the lowly Big 12 last year, and A&M didn’t beat anyone of note in ’19. Let’s see if A&M can score a couple (or three) impressive wins this fall and if Texas can avoid being overrated and upset while navigating a far inferior schedule.

How much do you think home-field advantage will be minimized due to fan capacity COVID limits?

Looking ahead to next week at Bama in regards to my question. One stat I saw is Mond is 3-6 on the road as a starter, and the hostile environments not being quite as hostile can only help us.

I think it’s going to be diminished greatly, but I also think the home-field advantage will still exist on some level based on what I’ve seen so far in the NFL and colleges.

Agree with the second part. Mond and the Aggies both have to be better on the road. Then again, those six losses were Mississippi State at night with three first-rounders on that defense, at Auburn in a last-second game, at No. 3 UGA in a game decided in the final few minutes, at national champion LSU, at national runner-up and defending champ Clemson and at defending champ and national runner-up Bama in 2018.

Four of those six came on the home field of teams that finished those seasons with two national titles, two runner-up finishes and a combined record of — get ready for this — 55-4.

The one that sticks out to me is the one you needed to get at Auburn. No reason to lose that game, and Mond’s costly interception combined with terrible defense in the closing two possessions were at the center of the Tiger comeback. That’s the one you wish you had back. A 4-5 mark considering who four of those losses were to is a lot more understandable.

Look, at some point, the Ags (hopefully, it’s this year with Kellen) need to break through and win road games that you’re not supposed to win on the climb to the top. It’s part of the ascent that you can skip as a program. There’s not much of a reason to have expected Kellen or the Aggies to have won four of those games when you consider the group was 55-4 overall in the years the Ags dropped those games, especially when you consider three of those four losses came at the hands of teams within that same group. In other words, it’s more like 55-1 in 56 games - absolutely insane path the Ags have had to navigate.

Auburn is the problem, IMO. Those are the only two games in two seasons I look back on and wish the Ags would have been able to run those back.

I have concerns that if McCollum and Matthews can’t stay healthy, the whole line will struggle again and therefore Mond and the offense. Do you think a case can be made that the most important offensive player to make the offense go this year is McCollum?

A case can be made there, yes. It’s incredibly important, not just for the consistent execution of the snap (I’m sure many of you understand this, but the QB even having to take his eyes off of the field to make sure he catches consistently errant snaps throws off the timing of everything, as do high snaps in the zone-read game. We’ve seen a lot of that in recent seasons, unfortunately).

Also, a center getting whipped at the point of attack by an elite SEC interior defensive lineman? The play is over before it starts, and not even Pat Mahomes has a shot to make something out of that disaster. The good news is Ryan has had a nice camp and has returned from injury. He looks healthy entering the season-opener. The next step will be an improved Luke Matthews getting back to game speed as he had dealt with an injury that cost him a couple of weeks as well.

If you had to pick one A&M player to clone and make a football team of eleven guys, who would it be? Past or present. I heard this on Hard Knocks and some guys on the Chargers said Derwin James. I’m curious who Jimbo would pick out of all the guys he’s coached.

Well, Jimbo would probably say Derwin James since he was one of Fisher’s best players at FSU. I have heard Jimbo and others who were at FSU with him make the comparison to James and Demani Richardson, who could eventually have a first-round grade in his future if he keeps improving over the next couple of seasons.

For me, I’d say Demani is on the very short list, but I’d go with DeMarvin or Ainias on this current team.

Past or present? Some names that come to mind are Johnny, Dat, Mike Evans, Reggie Brown, Rodney Thomas, Coryatt, Bucky, Richmond Webb, Ray Mickens... It’s a long list, but I think when you ask that you’re talking about talent and the intangibles. Those guys had championship DNA and incredible physical gifts.

Is Coach G’s son still on the team? He was punting, wasn’t he?

Yes, he’s still on the squad. If you check out the video of all of the Aggie parents (part two, I believe), you’ll see the Aggie soccer legend with a cameo at the end.

Who is your favorite Texas Country music artist and why?

Does Cody Johnson count? He’s a throwback, IMO, and I think his style takes me back to that late-80s/90s country I grew up on. I’ve always been a big fan of Randy’s voice and songs, and I’ve known guys like Roger Creager and Casey Donahew for a long time (I’ve actually known Casey since he was in high school back in Burleson through Stacy Sykora, who was a dear family friend).

Right now, it’s probably Parker McCollum for me. Good friend, and as Superfan Seth McKinney would tell you, his music is pretty kick ass. Josh Abbott is up there near the top for me too. Going back to more of when I was in college and before there was technically anything called ‘Texas country’, I loved Cross Canadian and Pat Green.

I believe a large part of this year’s success will depend on how much our O-line (and our running back’s ability to pass protect) has improved over the 2019 season. If their performance against Vandy is less than impressive, on a scale of 1 to 10, how concerned will you be regarding the team’s prospects going forward? Thanks for doing this.

Anias Smith will remind you of Trayveon Williams with his pass protection as a running back...and he’s much further along than Trayveon was at the same age.

As for the OL, I’d be concerned if they had too many busts against Vandy, but what would concern me more is if they were off-balance and whipped physically...especially quickly. Last year, we saw that all too often, even against lesser opponents. I’m not expecting them to be perfect in terms of picking everything thrown at them up...especially from a Vandy defense whose entire goal will be to confuse and take ‘boom or bust’ chances in the front seven. That type of stuff is going to happen in a season-opener against a defense led by a quality, veteran DC in Ted Roof with not much to lose. I’m not saying it needs to happen often, but I’m way more concerned with blockers getting beaten physically in one-on-one situations. That would be a concerning sign.

First play prediction!

Maybe a zone-read keeper by Mond to the house, a la NC State?

Hmmm...if I’m going prediction, I’ll keep it conservative and say a read handoff to Spiller for six yards.

Not a common question, but how have you been during these times? Sometimes the head honcho needs a little check-up himself. Thank you for the amazing work here, and I love what you, Gabe, Braunny, Jason and the rest of the staff do for us Ags. Gig Em Ags

I really appreciate you asking.

I appreciate you noticing the hard work of the entire team. It’s been a grind this off-season, but I feel like everyone on the content side has really stepped up and made sure we can bring you the best considering the circumstances and uncertainty. It’s been fun.

As for me, it hasn’t been the easiest stretch. You drop a global pandemic in the lap of a damn lifelong hypochondriac (those who know me well have always had fun with that, and I appreciate the deserved ribbing), and it kind of takes you out of your game on the social side of things. However, I have just adjusted and make the most of it, so no complaints here. I did that and have actually been great sans some FOMO in terms of trips and things like that. Like everyone, I’m ready to see things normalize, and I think the country getting back as close to normal as it can is nothing but a good thing. That’s why sports returning has been so good to see, IMO.

Who starts at WR this weekend?

I’ll go with Kam Brown as two of the three for sure. The two others I think we’ll see out there from the outset (if not the very first play) are Chase Lane and Jalen Preston.

How do you think the CB playing time will work itself out both this weekend and throughout the season? Basically, when will we see Jaylon Jones unleashed?

I’d be surprised if he didn’t start this Saturday. I’m expecting it. if not, he’ll play as much as any of the Aggie corners in game one. Jaylon and Brian George will join Myles Jones as the Ags’ three best at the position very quickly (and probably already are).

No question, just a big THANKS for doing these. As far as concert videos Foreigner Rockin’ At The Ryman won’t disappoint.

You’re welcome! Okay, I’m going to check that one out ASAP. Can’t go wrong with Foreigner.

What is Blumrick’s upside at TE (comparisons welcome)? Prediction on his productivity this season.

Not sure. I don’t want folks to get too hyped up about a guy who has been there for a couple of weeks. He’s not one of those really-big-QB ‘s-turned-tight ends that we’ve seen end up climbing to the next level, but he’s a very unique threat in the passing game. He’s a ball-playing dude, and if he can get used to things and see a couple of touches, I think Connor could be a matchup problem because of his height, speed and athleticism. He could move the chains for the Ags a few times this fall. I think the key will be opportunities and getting a few touches in these first couple of games. Otherwise, you could be talking about a “providing much-needed depth” situation.

Are the chances of getting Camar Wheaton‍ next to 0%?

Yes. I think that ship sailed a while back. He was just never overly interested in A&M. It happens sometimes. You hate to see it at a need position with a top-five player, but the Ags have been on the other side of that plenty since Fisher arrived to. This is the exception and not the rule, though. Landing a high-end back feels pretty important this cycle.

Date and approximate time of first Texags meltdown of this season

Can I just enjoy the start of football season? Please?!?!?!?

Will this be the lowest attended game in Kyle Field history?

Hadn’t thought about that. Maybe Brad Marquardt can enlighten us, though he rarely acknowledges TexAgs.

How strong do you think this Vandy D will be?

I don’t think it’ll be strong, but I think it’s going to be respectable.

The Ags will probably wear them down either way (especially with a lot of three-and-outs and short Vandy drives produced by Elko’s defense), but what you’d like to see is A&M move the ball and score points early. That’s not a sure thing against a unit that will be well-coached and return a lot of experience, but I do think this is still going to be one of the two worst defenses the Ags face this season.

Outside of the ‘first game after a wild off-season’ aspect, there’s no reason not to expect the Aggies to have at least a solid showing offensively. All I’ll caution here is that there WILL be an adjustment period once the live bullets start flying around and we’re playing actual football again. That’s why you’re better off opening with Vandy than someone like MIssissippi State or even South Carolina.

Have you seen “The Social Dilemma” on Netflix? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Planning to watch it tonight if I get done with the ‘Key Matchups’ in time! I’ve heard it’s pretty damn interesting.

Any new Offensive schemes or wrinkles that you know of coming from Jimbo and Dickey?

See above. Nothing revolutionary, but as the season goes on, probably more QB run game, more attacking the deeper parts of the field and a lot more two backs.

Travon Fuller. Did you see that coming?

No. And I’m still fully expecting we’ll see Jaylon Jones as the Ags’ starting corner on Saturday, but it is worth noting that Fuller has stuck it out and has looked as good as he has in Maroon & White throughout fall camp. He will help on special teams and could be a guy who finds a way to contribute on D this year, much like Devin Morris did last season.

With that said, I tried to caution you all ahead of time that I felt like many on the board were putting way too much stock in awaiting ‘the depth chart’. I cautioned that it would be unwise to study it too closely. I expect your starters — or at least the guys who play the most at the respective spots — will be Jones at corner and Erick Young at nickel.

DeMarvin Leal is the team’s best defensive lineman in case the depth chart had you wondering.

Do you think new coaches and personnel will struggle this year more than years before due to the circumstances? It seems like returning coaches with returning impact starters (like a qb) have an even bigger advantage than normal.

I absolutely think that could (and should) be an advantage for the Aggies. Mond, a veteran OL and both coordinators and systems intact should make a world of difference, something that should reveal itself as the season wears on.

You have one punt to help hold a lead late in the game and have to pick a past Aggie punter.........you go with Lechler, Mann or __________?

I still go with Lechler. Hands down. Not even a question. I think of games like on the road at Colorado, against Iowa State up there in a narrow win, the booming punt that Missouri fumbled that turned that game during the ’98 title run and him quite possibly being the MVP of the Bonfire Game.

Mann was incredible, but I’ve still not seen a punter as impactful as Lechler in Maroon & White and maybe not in NFL history, either.

Will punting be a strength this season for the Ags?

Big shoes to fill (pun intended) with Braden Mann leaving, but Nik C has a big-time leg and had a very steady fall camp. I think they feel very good about where things stand with him stepping in and starting for the first time.

Do you have a “must do” or “must have” superstition prior to the start of a game? Like lucky socks or a must touch sign in the stadium?

Nah, I’ve had a couple of ‘game outfits’ that I thought I’d reproduce (the 2012 Bama attire), and I’ve tried to stick with a stadium entrance (as in which gate I go in) that I thought worked, but shocker, that’s never panned out as guaranteeing an Aggie win, so I gave up on those. Call it BASS, I suppose. 

That’s ‘Battered Aggie Superstition Syndrome’ in case you didn’t figure it out.

Did the late opt-out impact the chemistry of the team?

I don’t think it did at all. May have helped it, who knows? Hines had some very good friends on the team, but at this point, the guys know that some aren’t going to ride it out to the finish line with them. They truly want the guys who want to be in there in that locker room with them. I think that they simply moved on, and it was indeed a ‘next man up’ type of thing.

If you had to pick between Demas or Waddle coming out of HS, who would you take and why?

Either? Both? That’s tough to say.

Waddle had more polish. Demas has top-five overall pick potential. Both are game-changers. Waddle more so in the return game, where he’s really damn special.

If you’re talking about someone being the absolute alpha of a receiving corps, I might say it would eventually be Demond once he adds polish to his game. Waddle had the benefit of Tua and a WR corps that included THREE other first-round picks. Demas won’t have that luxury, so you’re not going to be making an apples-to-apples comparison. Again, imagine if Waddle was on this squad, and Demas was coming in to play alongside him.

Good question. Tough question. Both are special, but Waddle was more ready-made to step in, especially in a stacked offense like Bama’s.

What do you expect from Vandy on Saturday?

Solid defense but one that could wear down as the game progresses, and an offense that will try to play very fast and tire the Aggies out. That seems like their only option and a decent enough strategy considering how overmatched they will probably be up front and the bizarro offseason’s possible effects on conditioning. I think they’ll have more game than many expect but not have enough gas to hang around.

Can I join your pre-game party?

Normally, yes. I don’t think I’m going to be doing much pre-game partying this year. I’m lame before games anyway. You’d normally have wanted to partake in the post-game festivities, though.

Will Fisher (OC and play-caller) increase our usage of RPO’s this year vs last year?

I think you’ll see Jimbo get a lot more creative this year with his senior quarterback, an All-Conference caliber tight end and a pair of trusted running backs. However, I think the biggest changes will come in the form of Ainias and the versatility he brings to Fisher’s backfield with Spiller along with faster, more athletic wideouts. Once three or four separate themselves (and if one of those is someone with Demas’ raw athletic gifts), look out.

As for RPOs, I’m not sure how much more of that you’ll see.

What should we look for that is unexpected with the team?

I just think the secondary could be tremendously improved. More so than most expect. I also think the pass rush is going to get it done in a variety of ways. What I hope we see (but am not yet sure) is that the offense will regularly take and connect on downfield shots with Mond throwing the deep ball better than he has in the past.

Predict the final score? I’ll go with Ags 48, Vandy 10.

I’ll go Ags 34, Vandy 10.

When will we know which player/players will be in quarantine (for both teams) for the game against Vandy? Will SEC release these results every Friday or Saturday?

Not sure that the SEC will release that info. Actually, I don’t suspect that they will.

The Aggies will know on Friday. For this week, they tested Sunday and Wednesday, and they will do the rapid test on Friday. Beginning next week, they’ll test on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. They won’t use the rapid tests going forward. The problem with the rapid test is that it can give out too many false negatives.

Now I know you’d think teams would be more concerned with false positives, but it’s the false negatives that can cause the real problems. Imagine how much ‘contact tracing’ problems a couple of false negatives would cause if the players traveled, stayed in the team hotel, sat in position meetings, played and were in the huddle for three hours on Saturday.

Thanks for providing us with the best all-around Aggie content!

You’re very welcome my friend! We’ve somehow managed to have a fun offseason full of great content. I’m really proud of the entire team.

Best COVID cocktail you’ve made

Believe it or not, I haven’t had a drink since all of this started. Think the last time I was drunk or even drinking was at Rodeo Cookoff. Damn, I need a drink in the worst way, don’t I??? Nothing better to drive you to do that than Aggie football, I suppose.

I couldn't read past the part where he said that they could probably get Pete Golding, Pat Narduzzi, and Will Muschamp. Even for Loochy, that's SUPER delusional. 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I couldn't read past the part where he said that they could probably get Pete Golding, Pat Narduzzi, and Will Muschamp. Even for Loochy, that's SUPER delusional. 

Muschamp fucking HATES aggy. I don’t think he’s ever missed a chance to publicly shit on them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The DMN has them going 4-6 (please please baby Jesus) and they are DISPLEASED

Want to know when you are little brother? When an article that has no mention of Texas, written my a Michigan guy triggers endless replies about Texas. 

If Matt Hayes wrote an article with this exact basic content predicting a Texas 4-6 finish there would be exactly ZERO replies talking about aggy. Maybe one because RD exists. 

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The DMN has them going 4-6 (please please baby Jesus) and they are DISPLEASED

Hide contents

EixE-5JWAAA2IXZ?format=jpg&name=900x900EixE_LEX0AQnxaL?format=jpg&name=900x900EixE_kgXkAIQEZS?format=jpg&name=900x900EixPTnXWAAA5bt9?format=jpg&name=900x900EixPUBIXsAI0ayC?format=jpg&name=900x900

4-6 is probably excessive, but aggy really has no clue how bad they’re gonna be this year. A paper thin OL that can’t pass block when healthy combined with absolutely 0 returning production at WR, and a very mediocre at best RB room. The only hope they have to make up for those deficiencies is unleashing Mond’s running ability, but we know Jimbo won’t do that. 

Their defense was solid on paper last year, but they faced exactly three teams who could pass the ball well last year and got lit up for almost 50 by two of them. The new spread offenses will really test their defense’s ability to stop the pass.  Lining up 4 dudes who weigh 300 pounds won’t do much good against Leach and Freshwater. Still, those teams aren’t great even if the matchup could pose issues for aggy. Also, Florida has an elite run defense, so they match up extremely well with aggy. I think everyone is overrating aggy’s chance to win that game. 

overall, I think 6-4 is most likely, but there does seem to be some locker room unrest and things could turn south if they start 1-2 by getting blown out by Bama and UF back-to-back.
 Most betting lines have aggy at o/u 7. That seems like an easy bet to me. There’s a chance they could push, but I don’t see any way they win 8 games this year. Connelly likes A&M quite a bit and has them projected to be the 11th bets team in the country, but still gives them a 50% chance of being below 7 wins and only a 22% chance of being better. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

I find it hilarious that they talk so much shit about the Texas football team when literally every single starting player on UT's team would start at that respective position at aggy.  Literally every. single. position.

Eh, we'd take Leal, Buddy Johnson, Demani, Wydermyer, and Kenyon Green (as a Guard) in a heartbeat.

But after that I can't find any I'd trade for.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

4-6 is probably excessive, but aggy really has no clue how bad they’re gonna be this year. A paper thin OL that can’t pass block when healthy combined with absolutely 0 returning production at WR, and a very mediocre at best RB room. The only hope they have to make up for those deficiencies is unleashing Mond’s running ability, but we know Jimbo won’t do that. 

Their defense was solid on paper last year, but they faced exactly three teams who could pass the ball well last year and got lit up for almost 50 by two of them. The new spread offenses will really test their defense’s ability to stop the pass.  Lining up 4 dudes who weigh 300 pounds won’t do much good against Leach and Freshwater. Still, those teams aren’t great even if the matchup could pose issues for aggy. Also, Florida has an elite run defense, so they match up extremely well with aggy. I think everyone is overrating aggy’s chance to win that game. 

overall, I think 6-4 is most likely, but there does seem to be some locker room unrest and things could turn south if they start 1-2 by getting blown out by Bama and UF back-to-back.
 Most betting lines have aggy at o/u 7. That seems like an easy bet to me. There’s a chance they could push, but I don’t see any way they win 8 games this year. Connelly likes A&M quite a bit and has them projected to be the 11th bets team in the country, but still gives them a 50% chance of being below 7 wins and only a 22% chance of being better. 

Let's also remember they are going to see an uptick in QB play from the opposition as well.  Felipe Franks, while not spectacular, is a huge upgrade over Ben freaking Hicks at Arky.  And they have legit WR's and a good RB.  KJ Costello > true freshman Miss. State trotted out last year.  Trask is pretty good.  Bo Nix is a year older, and beat them last year.  Have to think Ole Miss QB situation + Freshwater makes them better.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

The only sure fire starter from the aggy team that would start at UT is probably Leal.  In my opinion.

Ha, I was actually typing that Leal and Demani would both probably be be competing for snaps but not starting. They are likely the two best players on that list but it's also two spots where we have the most depth. Wydermyer would start for us for sure and probably Buddy and Green.

Edited by UncleSonny

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

The only sure fire starter from the aggy team that would start at UT is probably Leal.  In my opinion.

Wydermyer would be a guaranteed  starter. 1-2 of their OL would probably start for us. I’d take Brown or Peevy over Graham, though not sure either would start over Collins/Sweat by the end of the season. Buddy Johnson would start for us, and Demani Richardson probably would too. 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Let's also remember they are going to see an uptick in QB play from the opposition as well.  Felipe Franks, while not spectacular, is a huge upgrade over Ben freaking Hicks at Arky.  And they have legit WR's and a good RB.  KJ Costello > true freshman Miss. State trotted out last year.  Trask is pretty good.  Bo Nix is a year older, and beat them last year.  Have to think Ole Miss QB situation + Freshwater makes them better.  

Yeah, I think they’ll get upset by at least one of those three, but Auburn and LSU are kind of question marks at this point. I’m not sure either will be that much better than aggy, so they could get a game back there. Their defense will almost definitely be worse this year just because of the style of their opponents last year. A&M’s defense looks great against run first teams that can’t threaten them in the passing game and they had a lot of those last year. 

55 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah this is probably right...but I would say it does seem like their margin for error tiny this year. If the wrong guy gets injured (Mond, an OL, Demani, Spiller) 7-3 turns into 4-6 really quickly. 

If Mond makes it through the season with that O-line it will be a miracle

Added note... will wait for the very loud booing that will ensue if he's not playing well. He is definitely not well liked among the self proclaimed "friendliest fan base in America".

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

They were just terrible last year and there really wasn't a reason to keep Mason that I could fathom, and I expect them to be much worse this season. I know that coaching at Vandy is a pretty thankless gig, but there are young guys that would jump at the chance to take that challenge on and would bring something to the table. Anything. Beating those terribad Tennessee teams shouldn't have saved his job. This is a poorly coached team that does nothing well. There is not one phase of the game where they even scratch average.

A lot of people will point to Vandy's complete lack of talent, and they do severely lack talent but they are about on par with SMU in recruiting rankings and SMU would beat the fucking brakes off of them. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Green would start at guard over Okafor.

Not unless he's improved a lot over last season and I'm not big on Okafor. I get that Green was a FR so I am cutting him a lot of slack, I think he could become an NFL OG down the road, but last season you could tell when McCollum replaced Green because the run game immediately improved. It was night/day and McCollum isn't exactly a badass. He was simply markedly better than Green. 

Wydermeyer, Richardson, Johnson would all start here. Ainais Smith would get touches for sure. (I'd assume Achane and Demas would as well) If Brown and Leal bought into the culture they could start but not with their current inconsistent level of effort. To be fair Brown looks like he's lost a lot of that shitty weight so I expect we see much more of his potential this year. The next time I see Leal put 4 plays in a row with any effort will be the first, which was what a lot of us noted while he was in high school. So much talent, so little competitive drive.

Just now, Enchubben said:

The aggy reaction to any sort of BLM, social justice demonstration etc is going to create such a ruckus with that fanbase. I wonder if he will kneel or something.

We can dream

It's actually unfortunate that we won't get the cheap seat reaction in 2020. We would never have to negative recruit aggy again. Just pull up the video of the nosebleeds screaming racial obscenities at the kids kneeling. Icing on the cake would be one of the commentators calling it out and shitting on CS. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 1