Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hocker gone.  Carson Green only one left to decide.  I'd be surprised if he stays.  Aggy OL, especially OT, could be an adventure next year.

It's cool. King's frame can definitely take a lot of hits. Really powerfully built and not greyhound-ish at all.

There is decent talent in the two deep that can hopefully step up along OL and LB. Not as much worried about the DL. But OL and LB are two spots that get better with more experience, and you can't replace in-game experience. So yea, it'll be an "adventure" next year. That Colorado game early is looming large. I bet it will be played up even more, since you guys demolished them in the Alamo.

Blake Trainor/Grayson Reed battle at one OT spot; hoping Kenyon Green is kept at guard, he is great there; Luke Matthews (the last of the Matthews kids) or Layden Robinson at Center (whoever wins that competition for starting spot should be pretty decent); Bryce Foster could push for starting at the other OG spot unless Aki or Josh Bankhead step up; and then maybe Reed/Trainor take the other OT spot... unless Jimbo can land a plug-and-play guy from transfer portal-- Jordan Moko (but L$U and Oregon are pushing for his signature too). They probably want the signed class to all redshirt, including Fatheree.

Linebacker is slightly better, but that's where you need a brains and brawn-- disciple to stay the lane or shadow a mobile QB, never take a penalty, etc. Buddy Johnson excelled in all of that, but as we know so well, these things have to be learned and most often come with experience.  Andre White has played some meaningful minutes, but need at least another of the guys to be ready-- one of the 3 4-stars and 2 high 3-stars.  And then, one of the safeties often plays closer to the box and next to linebackers... plenty of potentially decent to good options for this spot.

The spring training and fall will be super important with this turnover needing to be sorted out and then starters given time to scrimmage together and gain reps.  Covid could screw all that up...

• Like 1

Yeah aggy is going to be good next year, they are done being a shitty team when their upperclassmen leave. Give credit to Jimbo, he's got a good staff. Henson, for all the shit talked about him going into the season, proved the dude can coach his ass off. The only thing that is going to hurt them is replacing a 4 year starter at QB for a guy with no real experience, and injuries at OL.

I think you’ll see Antonio Doyle and Andre White at the LB spot, White got a lot of meaningful minutes and Doyle somewhat less— but he saw the field and has the physical tools.

Layden Robinson will man either a guard or center spot, I think probably guard and Matthews at center.  Kenyon Green is solid as they come.

I think they’ll trot out a decent line and it will be a question of time to gel. They won’t be at the level of 2020 but it’s not going to be a total shitshow.

DL, secondary, RB will be the team strength. Wydermyer will be one of the best TEs in the nation but depth will be iffy given injuries. QB will be a bigger battle than some think between Calzada and King in the spring, and the difference between a freshman and a sophomore in the physical department is huge.

Just the lack of experience at QB and OL means that the team won’t be as good as 2020 but they won’t suck and given the disorder at Auburn and LSU should be second in the SEC-W.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, HtownHorn said:

Yeah aggy is going to be good next year, they are done being a shitty team when their upperclassmen leave. Give credit to Jimbo, he's got a good staff. Henson, for all the shit talked about him going into the season, proved the dude can coach his ass off. The only thing that is going to hurt them is replacing a 4 year starter at QB for a guy with no real experience, and injuries at OL.

I'm interested to see if King wins that QB battle.  He's got a noodle arm - but is fast as hell and can make all of those off-schedule plays.  Calzada has a cannon but has the accuracy of an early season Laloosh.    Not sure who Jimbo goes with.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guess it’s kind of 2021.  Cornerback Myles Jones, DT Jayden Peevy, and LB Aaron Hansford all electing to return for next season. 

Defense will be the team strength next year, DL in particular. Probably a sigh of relief over Hansford, he and Andre White will bring experience to offset the loss of Buddy Johnson.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

So, its Jimbo and Florida State all over again....

Not sure what @HtownHorn meant by referencing "injuries at OL" but if I had to assume, I would say he meant "potential" future injuries at OL-- especially among the planned/expected starters who were in the 2-deep in the just concluded season. If so, that injury bug is always looming on any team, that's not something peculiar or specific to Jimbo. 

AFAIK, there aren't any injured OL among the ones expected to start or contribute, nor is there any major history of OLs getting injured, aside from one-off guys like Blanton who was supposed to be great coming out of high school but never played a meaningful snap in games. OTOH, there are in fact good quality OL, but it'll be a matter of finding the 5 that play together and gel.

And maybe Jimbo will try to land a plug-and-play transfer.

WR room is more urgently needing speedy talent.

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

10:38p 

Staff

I was made aware of the update on CyFair RB LJ Johnson Jr a little bit ago, and I wanted to provide y'all with what we are hearing on our side. 

1) If you've read our updates on LJ over the last month, you know where our confidence has been on this recruitment in the recent weeks. 

2) Yes, there has been talks of LJ making a trip to College Station with a buddy of his. Those talks began surfacing in the middle of the week. 

3) If he does make the trip, he'd certainly have the opportunity to be around some guys on the team including all the early enrollees of the 2021 class. 

4) A trip to Aggieland this weekend would be the second one in as many weeks. Early last week, LJ snuck up to College Station to get a feel for the town and have dinner with his family. 

5) Uncertain whether he plans on staying the night or just making a day trip. 

6) If I had to guess, the news leaking is likely an attempt to shine a light on the visit and to keep LJ in Cypress or convince him to make a run over to Austin. 

7) If you're thinking that LJ would use this trip to move in and enroll, you're out ahead of your skis. It is highly unlikely that would be the case in any way, shape, or form. I know many of you were probably wondering, but he wouldn't be coming up here to start classes or even commit for that matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

Liucci

12:04a, 1/16/21 

Staff

AG

This is one of those days and weekends where there could be some activity or it could end up being very quiet in the way of commitments but it's one that we may look back on in a couple of weeks and realize that it turned out to be as important as any during the 2021 cycle (not to mention what it could mean for Jimbo Fisher's squad as early as next fall).

Here's what we're looking at this weekend in terms of prospects who have already made their way or plan to be in Aggieland this weekend:  

Wanya Morris: A former five-star offensive tackle who started 20 games for Tennessee as a true freshman and sophomore. He's a mid-term enrollee (as in next week) who will choose between A&M, OU and USC. I don't need to tell any of you what a big deal this would be in terms of filling a need next fall. Not a done deal as some seem to be making it sound but the Ags are going to be tough to beat out here when all is said and done.

Tywone Malone: A borderline five-star (he should be, since he's as good as any true interior DL prospect in America) and national top-100 recruit who would give the Ags a potential game-changing pure DT in back-to-back classes. The two-sport sensation will be signing in less than three weeks and choosing between the Aggies, division rival Ole Miss and Florida State and there's a very real chance he'll end up playing for Jimbo Fisher and Rob Childress.

LJ Johnson: The five-star tailback and longtime priority target for the Aggies has current plans to be in town tomorrow. He still hasn't decided between A&M and Texas and what makes this one even more interesting is that the Cy-Fair standout has already graduated but isn't yet sure whether or not he's going to enroll and begin classes sometime next week or put his decision on hold for just a bit longer, wait and sign in February and arrive in either Aggieland or Austin in June with the rest of the 2021 signees.

The Ags are also still very much in the hunt for a couple of other highly-regarded 2021 prospects, including national top-100 wideout Brian Thomas - one of the top three recruits in the Bayou State - but if we end up looking back and realizing that Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies added at least two and perhaps even all three (now we're really dreaming but it's certainly possible) of the guys who are slated to be in town this weekend, it's this weekend that could turn out to be as impactful as any during the '21 cycle.  

...and to think it could be followed up in the not-too-distant future by a pretty wild stretch of 2022 news in the weeks or month immediately following.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If I had dollar for every time Karen threatened to cancel her sub, I would be able to pay for Tunmise.

Bigger drama queen: Karen or Tunmise?

Size-wise- Tunmise. Drama-wise- Karen, without question. Fuck them both (just not with my dick).

Joey Freshwater starting to assemble pieces on that threadbare D.  Not sure if it'll be enough for the coming season but setting up for a good run in year 3, I imagine.  Defections, injuries, etc notwithstanding.

Malone, like LJ, was a luxury target for Jimbo, especially with two starting seniors on the DL coming back for one more season and having quality depth already-- to the point of switching one of the DLs to OL.

It's more important to starve the opposition of gamechanging talent, and that's where Malone to Ole Miss might hurt. 

Then again, do you want a one-off high caliber guy go to a place like Ole Miss and basically play his heart out but likely not win much... or would you rather see such guys keep going to stacked teams, where too their individual contribution may not be much but they become a part of increasing the gap between the cream of the crop bluechip teams and the rest.

Edited by PHLaggie

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

I'm certainly not "blue" for having landed L J Johnson though!

Hopefully Moko gets signed too and contributes at the OT.  That'll be good enough. Keep the scholarships for future class.

What's the thought on him bailing on spring practice for no apparent reason?

25 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Joey Freshwater starting to assemble pieces on that threadbare D.  Not sure if it'll be enough for the coming season but setting up for a good run in year 3, I imagine.  Defections, injuries, etc notwithstanding.

Malone, like LJ, was a luxury target for Jimbo, especially with two starting seniors on the DL coming back for one more season and having quality depth already-- to the point of switching one of the DLs to OL.

It's more important to starve the opposition of gamechanging talent, and that's where Malone to Ole Miss might hurt. 

Then again, do you want a one-off high caliber guy go to a place like Ole Miss and basically play his heart out but likely not win much... or would you rather see such guys keep going to stacked teams, where too their individual contribution may not be much but they become a part of increasing the gap between the cream of the crop bluechip teams and the rest.

I liked some of Ole Miss’ JUCO DL signings, it’s clear Kiffin is trying to get up to speed now on that front. That OL class is...rough.

If A&M has to miss at one position, DT was it.

• Like 1