Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

47 minutes ago, pacman said:

A DT that plays college baseball? Crazy. Ontiveros was a big guy here but even he wasn't DT sized.

I went to high school with Jeff. He was a MLB in high school not a DL, but his best sport was always baseball. He was an average football player but an all world catcher and 1B. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

What's the thought on him bailing on spring practice for no apparent reason?

Not ideal; but if he is all that, he will make up for the missed time by showing off in Fall practice. Jimbo needs the RB spot to also deal with the pass rush, at the least by chipping the on-rusher and then being the outlet pass for the QB. LJ better be able to at least catch the ball nearly every single time and be in rhythm with the QB1, whoever that may be.  Assumption going into next season is that the running game is going to have to be the one lifting the team to Ws; QB may be more of a game manager...but that means, you better protect that QB especially since the OL might not be gelled up totally and the pass pro will need the RB too...

basically, it would seem that's a lot to learn. And it's not like the RB room is empty before LJ steps foot on campus. He will have to earn his playing time.  But if he is as good as his rating/stars tell us he is, then he may be alright.

Thankfully, Spiller is still going to be the lead back.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I liked some of Ole Miss’ JUCO DL signings, it’s clear Kiffin is trying to get up to speed now on that front. That OL class is...rough.

If A&M has to miss at one position, DT was it.

True, I guess, but true DT isn't that deep. Leave it to Childress to shit that one down his leg.

16 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

In order to cover aggy, do they always have to be this much of a dork with Texas always on their mind?

That's a rhetorical question.

The arky and mobilhoma are also the same with this as aggy. They define their lives with Texas hatred, and are completely anhedonic without the zero-sum Texas "misery," as they perceive it.  Pathetic!

18 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

In order to cover aggy, do they always have to be this much of a dork with Texas always on their mind?

That's a rhetorical question.

Holy shit that is so pathetic. Their ability to keep elevating their level of insecurity never ceases to amaze.

• Hook 'Em 1

JUCO OT Jordan Moko (Australia/Snow College Utah) signed as expected.

Really an intriguing player, he is huge (6-6, 330), rugby background, looks much lighter on his feet. Obviously extremely raw. 

If you have the numbers he’s one you grab... the ceiling is pretty much unlimited but he could also be a guy who might never put it all together to even see the field.  

• Like 1

(Brian Perroni) Behind the Scenes: Texas A&M and the 2021 recruiting class

With the exception of four-star wide receiver Brian Thomas Jr. out of Louisiana, Texas A&M has seen every target in the class of 2021 sign somewhere. With Signing Day being in the rearview mirror, here is a look back behind the scenes with a number of players in the class. I tried to keep a running list as the process went on of things to cover in this story but, if I have forgotten anything or you have other questions, feel free to ask. Not every commit or target is covered here as there simply was not any drama one way or another about many of them.

-As far as Eli Stowers ending up at A&M, there really is not much to the story there. The Aggies offered several players but had settled on Stowers on being the main guy, especially after he came and threw at camp in person in front of Fisher. He committed not long after as he had long been high on the Aggies.

-Another quarterback that was very high on A&M as well was Jalen Milroe of Katy Tompkins. In fact, the dual-threat was close to making a pledge of his own. However, he was beaten to the punch by Stowers. A&M wanted Stowers in the fold, so they were very much happy to take him. After Stowers’ commitment, though, Milroe began asking around to see if the Aggies were planning to take two passers. He still wanted on board. Though he was not quite ready to make a commitment then, there was a good chance a pledge was coming soon. The Aggies were happy with one quarterback in the class, though, and Milroe quickly committed to Texas to make sure he had a spot there. He eventually flipped to Alabama, but that was far after any A&M involvement.

-Four-star Dematrius Davis of North Shore was one player that did not have an issue being in a second class with Stowers. He would likely not have considered the idea with Milroe, but was open to it with Stowers. Davis also took a visit to Virginia Tech that absolutely blew him away. The Hokies also had several other commits from Texas and that helped win him over. When he committed there, that was the end of things with A&M. By the time he decommitted from Virginia Tech, A&M was 100-percent set on one quarterback in the class.

-LJ Johnson went back-and-forth in his leader. Through about the middle of this past summer, he was very much an Aggie lean. He was not ready to commit at that time but everybody we talked to said A&M was very much in the lead. He liked the idea of Georgia as well but the distance was an issue and the Bulldogs had already taken an every-down back in the class. We never really got a reason as to why things changed, but they definitely did in late summer and early fall. Though he never went public, Johnson gave Texas very good reason to think that he would end up as a Longhorn. A&M was working to counter that and really wanted him to hold off on doing anything publicly, which the Aggies were able to do.

When Herman’s job looked to be in jeopardy, that is when things started to move back in the Aggies’ direction. A&M never stopped recruiting him and he really liked the staff and the program. They sold him on stability. Herman being fired after the Early Signing Period did not help Texas, either, as it showed that you never know what will happen with a staff after you make a decision. A&M felt good throughout the month of January and I felt good about my Crystal Ball prediction. However, there was still a lot of confidence coming from Texas. While the Longhorns did a good job there, they read things wrong at the end. They were still in it, but had a lot of ground to make up that they were never able to.

Johnson did not make a decision until recently, or he would have been enrolled this semester, but A&M handled this well in the long run and was more in tune with the recruitment than the Longhorns were. Johnson made his decision on Monday and let both schools know then of his decision. I was not explicitly told this part but, reading the tea leaves, is almost assuredly why you saw them push for a commitment on Tuesday from Jaydon Blue (a very good prospect in his own right), to help offset the momentum the Aggies were going to get the next day from Johnson’s announcement.

-Amari Daniels was another running back that A&M once led for and then had to get the momentum back. He kept me updated off the record throughout his recruitment and always let me know the Crystal Ball for A&M was good. A couple weeks before the Early Signing period, though, Daniels told me that is was likely going to be Miami. The Canes had been pushing very hard and selling him on staying home with other top targets. That is when you saw some Crystal Ball predictions in favor of Miami.

However, Daniels told me his mind was not made up completely and he pushed back his commitment date. That is when the Aggies made up ground and also pushed even harder for Yulkeith Brown, wanting to get both of the teammates. A few days before his announcement, I got a text from him that said, “It’s official. It’s A&M for me and Yul.” James Coley and Tommie Robinson both did really well in landing him. Miami was a bit caught offguard when he made his final decision as they thought they had him wrapped up.

-North Shore receiver Shadrach Banks grew up a fan of A&M as he had a cousin that attended the school and he liked the Aggies early because of that. Ever since he was offered at camp after his freshman year, folks at North Shore told me he almost assuredly was going to end up at A&M. I put in a very early Crystal Ball prediction there for a reason. After committing, there were a couple times that Banks at least considered the idea of looking around. He saw his teammates and other Houston-area recruits picking up offers and being recruited hard. With Banks having made such an early commitment, he was not receiving that same attention from other schools or outlets that covered other schools.

There were two times that he was at least considering opening things up as he liked the idea in theory of seeing attention from schools. Both times, though, A&M quickly put up the fire and made him realize why he chose the Aggies in the first place. He likely would have still ended up back in Maroon and White had he actually decommitted, but obviously A&M wanted to keep him as a pledge.

-A&M really likes Fernando Garza at tight end. They took him based on workout film and were really happy to get him. They also let him know he was the lone tight end that was being taken in the class. When Landen King decommitted from Texas, he showed some interest in A&M. However, the Aggies were higher on Garza. They also wanted to make sure Donovan Green saw there was only one tight end in the class ahead of him, so they did not pursue King at that point.

-At one point, it looked like A&M was going to land the ‘Big Four’ in-state offensive linemen in Reuben Fatheree, Bryce Foster, Donovan Jackson and Hayden Conner. When they were at camp the summer after their sophomore years, the parents were all talking about how their kids would likely all be there in the end. Jackson also told me recently that he thought they would all end up at A&M as well. The first off the board, though, was Conner. He made a commitment to Texas that surprised most in the industry. He actually told me later that, out of the four, he was always the one that was least likely to end up an Aggie. He said that he felt everybody from Katy Taylor (in both football and as a student body) goes to A&M and he wanted to be different.

A&M really wanted him at that point, but he liked what he saw from the engineering school at Texas and liked that it was a different decision than others from Taylor. The next off the board was Jackson, who committed to Ohio State. Even though the five-star had ties to the Buckeyes with a bunch of family there, he was definitely an A&M lean at one point. However, that changed with the offensive line coach change.

Jackson really liked Jim Turner. That was the main reason he was as high as he was on A&M. Whenever Turner left, that pretty much sealed the deal. Josh Henson ended up doing a really good job in the class but just was not a guy Jackson gelled with as much as he did with the coaches at Ohio State. If Turner had still been around, Jackson would have very likely ended up in Maroon and White.

-I was pretty open the whole time about what was going on with Foster’s recruitment. Oklahoma led much of the time but Foster had been adamant that he was not going to announce anything until his birthday, the final day of the Early Signing Period. That plan ended up being the best thing that could have happened for the Aggies. It kept Foster from going public with any type of decision involving the Sooners. The OU coaches and commits were definitely under the impression he would end up in Norman, for good reason.

A&M started feeling better about things with how the season was going, and especially how well the offensive line played. The ties with his mom being an Aggie and brother having played for A&M very much helped as well. Foster ended up making his final decision on the Wednesday of the Early Signing Period, two days before he announced. Up to that point, OU had still felt really confident. He let both schools know on that Wednesday, though, that he would be choosing the Aggies.

-In January, when Tennessee transfer Wanya Morris made the trip to A&M, he had basically already told Oklahoma he was committing there. However, the Aggies convinced him to take a visit to College Station first. Morris committed to A&M while there and his mom was completely set on him being an Aggie. Instead of going to Norman as planned, they went to Houston to see family friends. That entire time, his mom was making plans on how she would be back for games to see him play at Kyle Field.

The next day, Oklahoma had to do damage control and did a good job with it. They convinced him to visit after all. He was still telling people he was going to A&M, even the night before his announcement. But, the morning of his announcement, his mom was fully onboard with Oklahoma and I got a text telling me it was definitely the Sooners. It was just an odd recruitment overall. And I think, like Morris, his mother also had problems telling people ‘no.’ That included A&M and people surrounding A&M as she went quiet the day or so after the College Station visit.

-It long looked like A&M would end up with the Texarkana Pleasant Grove four-star defensive line duo of Landon Jackson and Marcus Burris. However, after Jackson committed to LSU, Burris did not look likely, either. Though he never went public with it, he had definitely let Oklahoma know he was going there. It was one of the eyeball tweets that Lincoln Riley sent out at the time. But, A&M was really working to flip him but also keep him from announcing anything.

The longer he went without going public, the better things looked for the Aggies. Then, in August, Burris started telling people around him that it was going to be A&M instead. That is when you saw the Crystal Ball predictions start coming back in favor of the Aggies. This, along with other examples in this story, is also why silent commitments mean nothing to me, even those that have been in favor of A&M. As far as Jackson, that one was simply a matter of LSU coming off one of the greatest seasons in history and him being enthralled with their defense.

-When Elijah Jeudy committed to Georgia in the summer, most people around him told me it was likely to stick. However, there were some issues that made him start questioning his commitment. When he decommitted in September, Jeudy was actually set to immediately flip to A&M. We had quotes from both him and teammate Tyreek Chappell about him switching to the Aggies. It was surprising to A&M, even, when he just announced a decommitment and not a new commitment.

Jeudy was hesitant to immediately jump into another commitment. But, he was pretty open the whole time in that he very likely would still choose A&M. Close to the end, Georgia stopped recruiting him, because he stopped showing interest as he had made his decision.

-Perhaps no other recruit did his research more than Tunmise Adeleye. He could tell you the depth charts at every school and who they were recruiting. He was also close to a number of other prospects in the class and knew where most of them were leaning as well. In addition to that, he knew how the recruiting game worked and how schools would fill spots. Adeleye is very confident in his abilities, but he still knew that he might not have a spot everywhere until the end.

That is why you saw him make the surprise early commitment to Ohio State, shortly after transferring to IMG Academy. He knew the Buckeyes were getting close to being done at the position and wanted to hold a spot. They were definitely his favorite at the time, but he was never completely locked in. He did not want to have to deal with interviews if he decommitted so his plan was, if he went elsewhere, to simply flip on Signing Day. He eventually changed his mind there as he became less enamored with the Buckeyes.

After that, he always kept me updated on where my Crystal Ball should be and continued to say A&M was his leader. Though he took a very late visit to Florida, he was not really considering them. He had also stopped considered Alabama at one point due to the Tide slowing things down of their recruitment. They picked things up this fall, but A&M had been after him harder than anybody all along and it gave the Aggies a lead Alabama could not cut into.

Also, as I said about Adeleye, he is well-aware of almost everything going on in recruiting. He even knew the jokes that I was a jinx when I showed up for announcements. When I was invited to cover his at his house, he assured me that I would not be receiving any grief if I came. And then, before I had even posted on the board that I was there, he confirmed to me that he had already signed with A&M that morning. I wanted to be absolutely sure before sharing anything from there, as I know you guys would have never let me live it down he had chosen elsewhere.

-Not really a major story and there is not a ton of background to add, but I know some people think A&M passed on Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordon Thomas when he was down to the Aggies and Longhorns over the summer. That is not the case. He was very much a take for A&M, but simply chose Texas.

-Andrew will have more on his recruitment and there is not really a ton that we didn’t share at the time, but Shemar Turner was an A&M lean longer than most fans of other schools realized was the case. There was a lot of talk from DeSoto about how much he liked Terry Price and also how he liked the defense as he was a likely tackle at his other finalists. He was definitely an Aggie lean all fall. Turner had planned to wait to Signing Day to announce but, when he made up his mind 100-percent, he just decided there was no reason to wait a few more days. He is not one for drama.

-The recruitment of Tywone Malone was another odd one. He seemed to change his mind a lot. The consensus between just about everybody was that A&M and Ohio State were his leaders. Both schools thought that as well. So, it was a big surprise to the Buckeyes when they were left out of his final five. Then, it was odd that A&M was running behind Florida State, Ole Miss and Tennessee when it came to his final five. Elijah Robinson did not give up, though, and was the reason the Aggies were able to get back in that top two.

But, as Malone said when he announced for the Rebels, it came down to baseball as the deciding factor. Ole Miss had been recruiting him longer in that sport and had built a strong relationship with him. A&M has shown it is good at reading recruitments and, this past weekend, they did not feel that great about things. They were still trying but knew they were behind. Ole Miss was the winner, though.

-Though he eventually ended up in the 2020 class, I long had a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of A&M for five-star cornerback Tony Grimes when he was in the class of 2021. Grimes took a pair of visits to College Station the summers after his freshman and sophomore years that had lasted close to a week each time. He very much liked the Aggies. But, the reason I put my prediction on A&M (this was before the confidence levels and also before the picks for future classes showed up on the front page feed), was at the request of people close to him.

At that point, the only Crystal Ball prediction was on Virginia Tech. It read ‘100% Virginia Tech.’ That is confusing for a lot of recruits, to be honest, as they think it says we are saying with 100 percent that he is going there. At that point, the Hokies were not much of a contender at all and he did not want it to say 100% to there. So I was asked to put mine on A&M as he had very real interest and liked the idea of it saying 50% to the Aggies. I don’t know if he would have ended up at A&M had nothing changed, but Maurice Linguist leaving for the Cowboys was pretty much the end of any change there. It was the second Aggie staffer, in addition to former analyst Christian Parker, that Grimes was close to that had left for elsewhere.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:19 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

JUCO OT Jordan Moko (Australia/Snow College Utah) signed as expected.

Really an intriguing player, he is huge (6-6, 330), rugby background, looks much lighter on his feet. Obviously extremely raw. 

If you have the numbers he’s one you grab... the ceiling is pretty much unlimited but he could also be a guy who might never put it all together to even see the field.  

Poor Aussie...

Aussie lineman heads to Texas A&M

Australian offensive lineman Jordan Spasojevic-Moko, the No.5 ranked prospect on ESPN's JUCO 50 for the 2021 class, announced that he will be joining Texas A&M on Friday.

The 6'5" 300-pound product from Brisbane, Australia had narrowed down his final three choices to LSU, Oregon and the Aggies after spending time at the junior college level with Snow College in Utah.

"What really drew me to A&M was [offensive line] coach Josh Henson. He's done great job making me feel like I'm a player that they need and a player that they can teach the skills and key attributes to go in the high rounds of the draft, and to develop me over the next three to four years," Spasojevic-Moko told ESPN.

Growing up playing both rugby union and rugby league, Spasojevic-Moko had made the transition to American football playing with the Brisbane Rhinos in local competition in Queensland, and was set to play for Snow College in 2020 before their season was cancelled due to COVID-19.

After just a couple of months he returned home to Brisbane and completed his university studies by distance, ensuring he'd be eligible to transfer to a major program.

The 19-year-old, who held down a job while studying and training back in Australia, said Aggies head coach Jimbo Fisher's past work with athletes newer to the sport was a big factor in his decision to head to College Station.

"I've had some really good conversations with coach Fisher. He's had great contact with my parents which is a big thing, family means a lot. They're really ecstatic for me to be able to live my dreams, get a good education as well as do something that I love, which is playing football, hitting people in the mouth," he said.

"He was able to show that he's developed guys like me before, international kids that might have one or two years of football but they're freak athletes.

"He's already done that at FSU when he won two national championships there, so it's time to get another one with A&M."

21 minutes ago, bizzle said:

we got bagmen 15 time zones away. you love to see it. 

and moko is either going to be the #1 pick in the draft or never sets foot on the field, i don't see any other way this goes.

Henson has done a remarkable job retooling that room so that he can take Moko and there’s absolutely no risk and no need for him to play. Anything you get from him is found money and his upside is crazy. 

Aussie bagmen IS upping the game. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hocker gone.  Carson Green only one left to decide.  I'd be surprised if he stays.  Aggy OL, especially OT, could be an adventure next year.

they just picked up this kid from fake UT as a transfer

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Jahmir-Johnson-Tennessee-Vols-Football-Offensive-Lineman-NCAA-Transfer-Portal-Texas-AM-Aggies-Commitment-160542357/

While looking at who Brian Thomas Jr might pick today between LSU or A&M, I just realized that A&M only has one WR in this class, and it's Shadrach Banks, who most think should be playing LB. Jimbo's uneven positional allocation from class to class hasn't changed. 

3 hours ago, Fud said:

While looking at who Brian Thomas Jr might pick today between LSU or A&M, I just realized that A&M only has one WR in this class, and it's Shadrach Banks, who most think should be playing LB. Jimbo's uneven positional allocation from class to class hasn't changed. 

Thomas Jr is picking LSU, but looks like an "athlete" take will be a WR for them in this class; Yulkeith Brown  

7 minutes ago, bizzle said:

dameyune craig has some serious shit on jimbo and you can't convince me otherwise.

Not for nothing, but Kelvin Benjamin is the only relevant wr Jimbo's offense has ever really produced right? If there was any position group that would easy to negatively recruit against Jimbo it would be receiver. 

Edited by UncleSonny

On 2/5/2021 at 1:12 AM, BachelorTrek said:

The arky and mobilhoma are also the same with this as aggy. They define their lives with Texas hatred, and are completely anhedonic without the zero-sum Texas "misery," as they perceive it.  Pathetic!

At least blowU can stand on their other core values aside from hating Texas. Cheating, moral bankruptcy, and unfortunately lots and lots of on field success. 

33 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

At least blowU can stand on their other core values aside from hating Texas. Cheating, moral bankruptcy, and unfortunately lots and lots of on field success. 

You left out ubiquitous obesity, poor dental health, a love of crystal meth, an enchantment with homes that move, a propensity toward incest and subpar knowledge of the English language.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"Daddy98!!!  Haven't seen a post from that goof in a while."

Recliners are on sale this time of year. I bet he got a new one, so he can sit in it and drink his diet DR Pepper in his underwear while evaluating talent?

Believe it was a bean bag and cheetos 

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

per HammLite ::

Got a call this morning saying they heard he was going to be let out of his NLI with Ish Aristide leaving as a main reason. 

that can't be the real reason. It's a pretty weak argument since Ish wasn't even a coach. Did they try to switch him to LB too soon?