Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lets also remember since Jimbo has arrived they have played like trash in road games.  Barely getting by South Carolina and Ole Miss on the road.  That's it.  That's the only true road wins they have.

When you only play 3 road games a year, it's difficult to get a feel for winning on the road. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

Liucci

5:30p 

Staff

AG

From Colorado and Fresno State to a road trip to Knoxville and the No. 8 Florida Gators - a darkhorse playoff candidate - coming to Kyle Field.

Yeah, I'd say A&M's schedule just got a hell of a lot tougher. Just when it looked like things finally lined up favorably for the Aggies, Jimbo Fisher's squad will once again take on a murderer's row...this one involving four of your ten games coming against teams ranked in the initial pre-season top-11.

Here's the thing, the Ags were done no favors on Friday but they didn't get hammered with an impossible task. I think A&M SHOULD match up very well with the Gators and Vols. Look, Jimbo Fisher has a quality group of seniors entering this season and has recruited as well/better than UF and UT when it comes to the bottom two classes on the roster.  

I've said throughout this off-season that the difference between Fisher and Dan Mullen the past two seasons has been as easy as this: The Gators played UGA twice. A&M played Clemson and Bama twice plus one against UGA. That's 0-5 for the Maroon & White and 0-2 for the Gators. That's the difference and not playing those three extra games against top-3 teams meant two NY6 bowl berths for the folks in Gainesville. Two quarterbacks who have had their moments but both of whom have plenty to prove, two of the most accomplished head coaches in college football and teams that are 1-1 against each other since the Aggies joined the league. No reason at all that the rubber match shouldn't be an all-out war.

As for the Vols, they'll be tougher to figure out. Jeremy Pruitt - Jimbo's old DC at Florida State - caught a hot streak at season's end, winning seven straight, but the Vols really didn't beat anyone worth talking about and pulled a rabbit out of the hat in coming from behind to beat a pedestrian Indiana squad in their bowl game. A&M should be a year ahead of a Tennessee program that's suddenly turned the corner on the recruiting front in Year 3 under Jimbo vs Year 2 under Pruitt. That's a very tough matchup to take them on in Knoxville but it's one that the Aggies need to go on the road and win. Period.

At the end of the day, the question is still the same as far as I'm concerned.

Do the Aggies join Alabama and Georgia and someone else this year as one of the four best teams in the Southeastern Conference? If the answer ends up being 'yes' then this should be a hell of a season for Fisher and the Ags, just like it would have been otherwise.

At the end of the day, here's where I come off on this: It's unfortunate but the home schedule got a hell of a lot better adding Arkansas and UF Anything with the Gators and LSU Tigers at home is a hell of a Kyle Field slate.

Bama draws Missouri and Kentucky, with Kentucky at home. Georgia adds Arkansas and Mississippi State. LSU adds Missouri and Vandy (for the second straight year I believe). Go figure. When looking at the actual schedules, I think LSU has the easiest draw when it comes to the contenders.

Arkansas, meanwhile, draws UGA at home Florida at The Swamp. Missouri adds LSU and Bama. Welcome to the SEC Sam Pittman and Eli Drinkwitz.

Auburn adding South Carolina and Tennessee? Two games they'd better win but challenging for what I will think is a good but not elite team.

The Vols have it tough this year, playing UF, UGA, Auburn, Alabama and A&M. Sheesh.

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

5:30p 

Staff

AG

From Colorado and Fresno State to a road trip to Knoxville and the No. 8 Florida Gators - a darkhorse playoff candidate - coming to Kyle Field.

Yeah, I'd say A&M's schedule just got a hell of a lot tougher. Just when it looked like things finally lined up favorably for the Aggies, Jimbo Fisher's squad will once again take on a murderer's row...this one involving four of your ten games coming against teams ranked in the initial pre-season top-11.

Here's the thing, the Ags were done no favors on Friday but they didn't get hammered with an impossible task. I think A&M SHOULD match up very well with the Gators and Vols. Look, Jimbo Fisher has a quality group of seniors entering this season and has recruited as well/better than UF and UT when it comes to the bottom two classes on the roster.  

I've said throughout this off-season that the difference between Fisher and Dan Mullen the past two seasons has been as easy as this: The Gators played UGA twice. A&M played Clemson and Bama twice plus one against UGA. That's 0-5 for the Maroon & White and 0-2 for the Gators. That's the difference and not playing those three extra games against top-3 teams meant two NY6 bowl berths for the folks in Gainesville. Two quarterbacks who have had their moments but both of whom have plenty to prove, two of the most accomplished head coaches in college football and teams that are 1-1 against each other since the Aggies joined the league. No reason at all that the rubber match shouldn't be an all-out war.

As for the Vols, they'll be tougher to figure out. Jeremy Pruitt - Jimbo's old DC at Florida State - caught a hot streak at season's end, winning seven straight, but the Vols really didn't beat anyone worth talking about and pulled a rabbit out of the hat in coming from behind to beat a pedestrian Indiana squad in their bowl game. A&M should be a year ahead of a Tennessee program that's suddenly turned the corner on the recruiting front in Year 3 under Jimbo vs Year 2 under Pruitt. That's a very tough matchup to take them on in Knoxville but it's one that the Aggies need to go on the road and win. Period.

At the end of the day, the question is still the same as far as I'm concerned.

Do the Aggies join Alabama and Georgia and someone else this year as one of the four best teams in the Southeastern Conference? If the answer ends up being 'yes' then this should be a hell of a season for Fisher and the Ags, just like it would have been otherwise.

At the end of the day, here's where I come off on this: It's unfortunate but the home schedule got a hell of a lot better adding Arkansas and UF Anything with the Gators and LSU Tigers at home is a hell of a Kyle Field slate.

Bama draws Missouri and Kentucky, with Kentucky at home. Georgia adds Arkansas and Mississippi State. LSU adds Missouri and Vandy (for the second straight year I believe). Go figure. When looking at the actual schedules, I think LSU has the easiest draw when it comes to the contenders.

Arkansas, meanwhile, draws UGA at home Florida at The Swamp. Missouri adds LSU and Bama. Welcome to the SEC Sam Pittman and Eli Drinkwitz.

Auburn adding South Carolina and Tennessee? Two games they'd better win but challenging for what I will think is a good but not elite team.

The Vols have it tough this year, playing UF, UGA, Auburn, Alabama and A&M. Sheesh.

Nevermind that Florida plays LSU every year as their cross divisional rivalry game.

So, how in the blue fuck does someone come up with that?   I could be mixing up my aggy 9.95’rs but I thought Tarp was always pretty reasonable except for his red hot hate for the horns.  I remember King was featured in a Top 20 all time Texas HS show or something and his dad was kinda blushing when they asked him about it.   So wtf?  Is he a top 50 to come out of Texas?  Seems unlikely with the states history.  That’s just such a bold statement. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

So, how in the blue fuck does someone come up with that?   I could be mixing up my aggy 9.95’rs but I thought Tarp was always pretty reasonable except for his red hot hate for the horns.  I remember King was featured in a Top 20 all time Texas HS show or something and his dad was kinda blushing when they asked him about it.   So wtf?  Is he a top 50 to come out of Texas?  Seems unlikely with the states history.  That’s just such a bold statement. 

Think about all the talent to come out of Texas. Top 20? Ha, 20 even cover all the Heisman winners? 

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Think about all the talent to come out of Texas. Top 20? Ha, 20 even cover all the Heisman winners? 

I know.  That’s why I’m asking. I mean I keep a pretty good feel for some of this stuff, but I’m not an expert. The lack of offers alone should say something.  But he wasn’t even top 5 or 6 of his class imo.  Just a statement so bold you have to take a step back and say, wtf am I missing?   Did Tarp copy paste one of Billy’s articles? That would make more sense. 

Edited by fattyflattie

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Why no offer for Bowman?

Hide contents

Ee5197rXYAAJ-5I?format=png&name=360x360Ee51-JXXYAA-J-N?format=jpg&name=360x360Ee51-VZWAAoTsM3?format=jpg&name=360x360

Ee51-k9XYAYSwoO?format=png&name=360x360

So the program that plays guards at tackle, qb’s at RB, safeties at corner, DE’s at te, and recruits wr’s and safeties that are future lb’s did not offer a potential 5 star that could play probably 3 different positions because their safeties coach is picky and didn’t see him as an offer?    Okayyyyyyyyy

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 5

lolwut? I've been to Auburn, Alabama, and there is virtually nothing to say about Auburn, Alabama. They can keep Knoxville, we get Morgantown.

(also he's a combo aggy/Tottenham fan, which is just a BRUTAL combination of little brother syndrome, yikes)

Ee6PLc3XgAEKuTP?format=jpg&name=360x360

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What if aggy goes 4-6...

giphy.gif

I mean, it's definitely not out of the question.  As shitty as Arkansas has been they do have some match up advantages and always play then close.

I don't think it's a given they'll beat the Mississippi schools or even @ South Carolina being a road game.

Vandy is a dump, but do return all 11 starters on defense and aggy still has a trash OL.

5-5 sounds right. 

Losses : LSU, Bama, Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss or MS State

Wins: Vandy, Arkansas, South Carolina, Ole Miss or MS State, Tennessee

As always maintaining the Mississippi school split will be key, but the Tennessee game will be pivotal. 

Aggy losing to Piggy, South Carolina or Vandy is reckless wishcasting. 

2 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

To be fair, I would rather go to those college towns than waco or lubbock. Fuck the big12 roadtrips. Knoxville is fun as fuck. And at least I can respect Bama, fuck Waco and Fuck Baylor.

The SEC definitely has some amazing college towns. Lubbock and Stillwater are certainly unique experiences at least. Waco just fucking sucks, the Gaineses turning it into some kind of must-do girls trip destination is a miracle of marketing.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

lolwut? I've been to Auburn, Alabama, and there is virtually nothing to say about Auburn, Alabama. They can keep Knoxville, we get Morgantown.

(also he's a combo aggy/Tottenham fan, which is just a BRUTAL combination of little brother syndrome, yikes)

Ee6PLc3XgAEKuTP?format=jpg&name=360x360

My experience with Auburn was it being the first and only time I've seen someone with visible white power/nazi tattoos (2 guys). Fuck Alabama.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

My experience with Auburn was it being the first and only time I've seen someone with visible white power/nazi tattoos (2 guys). Fuck Alabama.

I thought it felt like a poor man's Oxford, MS. The AU campus was pleasant, but definitely has a not-the-flagship vibe.

Edited by texifornia

15 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Went to Auburn about a decade ago with some friends while we were stationed in Pensacola. I do not like that place. Could be different now though.

• Like 1