Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's hard for me to be impartial about Jimbo, because one my best friends is a huge FSU fan/booster, he played baseball there, and hates him with the heat of 10,000 suns. He hated Jimbo BEFORE the national title, so you can only imagine how he felt about the every off-season NFL flirtations and the slagging of the school and boosters and the fucking dreadful roster he left in his wake. 

On the "Jimbo has a natty" argument -- does he feel the same way about Chizik? Would he rather have Chizik than say Fleck, Gundy. Patterson, Mullens, Riley, Herman,  etc? If that's the case, then there's not much you can do to help him. 

I think you could make a case for either guy honestly, but the thing that separates them for me is that I think we've seen everything that Jimbo is and we don't know what Pruitt is/could be. Jimbo is a solid football coach who did a really good job getting the house in order and winning a title with Bowden's guys. That roster was incredibly talented but underperforming and he did a really good job getting them back to playing football in all three phases. When Jimbo is left with his own players/evals he is lost in a timewarp. His archaic offense and his old school player evals are made for clock draining football with massive guys on the LOS. Neither translates to CFB (Or the NFL) today and he is unwilling to yield on either element. His WCO and his Cubes are the staples of who he is and will not change. You have to adapt or the game passes you by and his ego/id ensures that he will NEVER adapt - look at his goddamn offense - while coaching in Texas. With droves of 7-on-7 spread skill players and QBs that come in already knowing a HUGE amount of the modern offenses. (*not how quickly Leach's concepts are now in place at MooState).

That's the entire argument to me - when faced with easy answers to his numerous issues instead of adapting his own offense, Jimbo continues to square peg round holes and try to run that archaic offense that requires WAY too much time to teach for an end result that nets less yards, points, and wins. Even if it's optimal it's still worse. It's hard to argue FOR that coach. Esp as the landscape continues to evolve, every season the sport moves further away from the complex slow paced WCO - which means that every year Jimbo falls another step further behind. 

Pruitt has evolved some of his defensive philosophies already so I think we can assume that at least for now, he's willing to adapt and change.  Ditto with his player evals while he tends to play a little size queen at OL like Fisher (see Gooch), but he's targeted some of the longer, leaner, more athletic OL guys like Parker and Smith. Guys that really translate to modern college (and NFL) football and his DL guys are lean, very athletic - fast/quick. Spread killers not giant maulers. 

The downside is that Pruitt lost to Georgia State at home. That can't EVER happen. EVER. To be fair, he also turned that same team around and went 7-1 to finish the season. It wasn't very pretty and it was against the lower-tier teams but they were all better than Georgia State and that loss could've defined his tenure and that team. Instead he rallied and the kids bought in and trusted him. I don't know if he'll turn Tennessee around all the way but the roster is way better now than when he got there. I think he's got to take some steps forward again this year and that will include winning 2-3 games that they "shouldn't" win on paper and winning all of the games that the Vols should win. 

you put it into words much better than I ever could. I personally remember Winston and that Defense who held teams to a nation leading 12.1 PPG carry them to that Natty, and don't really think Jimbo had that much to do with it. Personally, I think you just look at trend lines and see Pruitt's stock rising as Jimbo's has been falling for years now. If they stay on that trajectory, to me it is obvious who you want to take. His whole argument was "You can't take Pruitt over Jimbo until he has won something, even a major bowl. No way you take a coach who has not achieved anything of significance yet over a guy who has a Natty and other top 10 finishes"  which I completely disagree with. 

1 minute ago, Mason Ramsey said:

"You can't take Pruitt over Jimbo until he has won something, even a major bowl. No way you take a coach who has not achieved anything of significance yet over a guy who has a Natty and other top 10 finishes"  which I completely disagree with

To counter that, he's saying he'd take Jimbo over Riley and Fleck? He'd take Jimbo over Matt Campbell? Over Mike Leach? Gundy or Brohm? 

19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It was never "the year" based on how good their team was going to be. It was "the year" based on how easy their pre-COVID schedule was. Their non-conference schedule was embarrassingly bad, they had the easiest possible draw in the West (No Georgia, Florida or Tennessee),  LSU lost nearly all of their star players, Auburn lost a bunch on their line, three other teams in their division had coaching changes and looked to be terrible, and even Bama was breaking in a new QB. 

Flash forward and now Florida looks pretty spicy. MSU shredded LSU. Ole Miss looks at least competent offensively. Tennessee looks decent. No matter how terrible Arkansas has been, they always seem to play them tough. They just had the only true gimme on their schedule and looked like hammered dogshit at home. It's no wonder that they are freaking out.

Still, I think they keep the Bama game pretty close. They will be satisfied playing hyper-conservatively and you know Fisher is going to snap the ball with less than 5 seconds on the clock in an effort to shorten the game. That's how they avoided blowouts to Clemson and Bama last year and kept it close with Georgia. 

The schedule was definitely a huge part, but it was also the combo fo having a senior QB and their third-ranked* 2019 class being ready to make an impact. Fast forward to now and Brian Williams is a total bust, Baylor Cupp has been hurt two years in a row, Kenyon Green is an interior OL after being ballyhooed as the next great A&M Offensive Tackle, Dylan Wright and Kam Brown aren’t making an impact at WR in Jimbo’s offense, Blades will probably never play for aggy again, and we all know Calzada’s a JAG. 

They had 27 commits in that class but only 10 of those were in the top 300 in the country, and I just listed half of them above that are already not looking anywhere near their rating. Between bread, overrated prospects and all the OOS guys, Jimbo is staring down the barrel of a shitload of attrition. He’s finally churning over the roster to get to his guys, but aggy’s starting to find out that’s not really making the situation any better. It might even be worse. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's hard for me to be impartial about Jimbo, because one my best friends is a huge FSU fan/booster, he played baseball there, and hates him with the heat of 10,000 suns. He hated Jimbo BEFORE the national title, so you can only imagine how he felt about the every off-season NFL flirtations and the slagging of the school and boosters and the fucking dreadful roster he left in his wake. 

On the "Jimbo has a natty" argument -- does he feel the same way about Chizik? Would he rather have Chizik than say Fleck, Gundy. Patterson, Mullens, Riley, Herman,  etc? If that's the case, then there's not much you can do to help him. 

I think you could make a case for either guy honestly, but the thing that separates them for me is that I think we've seen everything that Jimbo is and we don't know what Pruitt is/could be. Jimbo is a solid football coach who did a really good job getting the house in order and winning a title with Bowden's guys. That roster was incredibly talented but underperforming and he did a really good job getting them back to playing football in all three phases. When Jimbo is left with his own players/evals he is lost in a timewarp. His archaic offense and his old school player evals are made for clock draining football with massive guys on the LOS. Neither translates to CFB (Or the NFL) today and he is unwilling to yield on either element. His WCO and his Cubes are the staples of who he is and will not change. You have to adapt or the game passes you by and his ego/id ensures that he will NEVER adapt - look at his goddamn offense - while coaching in Texas. With droves of 7-on-7 spread skill players and QBs that come in already knowing a HUGE amount of the modern offenses. (*not how quickly Leach's concepts are now in place at MooState).

That's the entire argument to me - when faced with easy answers to his numerous issues instead of adapting his own offense, Jimbo continues to square peg round holes and try to run that archaic offense that requires WAY too much time to teach for an end result that nets less yards, points, and wins. Even if it's optimal it's still worse. It's hard to argue FOR that coach. Esp as the landscape continues to evolve, every season the sport moves further away from the complex slow paced WCO - which means that every year Jimbo falls another step further behind. 

Pruitt has evolved some of his defensive philosophies already so I think we can assume that at least for now, he's willing to adapt and change.  Ditto with his player evals while he tends to play a little size queen at OL like Fisher (see Gooch), but he's targeted some of the longer, leaner, more athletic OL guys like Parker and Smith. Guys that really translate to modern college (and NFL) football and his DL guys are lean, very athletic - fast/quick. Spread killers not giant maulers. 

The downside is that Pruitt lost to Georgia State at home. That can't EVER happen. EVER. To be fair, he also turned that same team around and went 7-1 to finish the season. It wasn't very pretty and it was against the lower-tier teams but they were all better than Georgia State and that loss could've defined his tenure and that team. Instead he rallied and the kids bought in and trusted him. I don't know if he'll turn Tennessee around all the way but the roster is way better now than when he got there. I think he's got to take some steps forward again this year and that will include winning 2-3 games that they "shouldn't" win on paper and winning all of the games that the Vols should win. 

The best part is the only thing that could ever make Jimbo even consider changing his offensive and recruiting philosophies would be sitting on the hot seat, but there’s no such thing when you’re currently owed $60 million guaranteed over the next 8 years. Maybe he’ll consider switching things up by around 2025, though he’ll probably have already quit trying at that point.
They gave the equivalent of 2012 Mack Brown a lifetime deal, which will keep Jimbo from ever re-assessing his philosophies like Mack did. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I just wish they'd stick to only taking cubes.  Wykoff looks better than anything they took last year for OL and this year.  I honestly haven't watched anything on Zuhn so IDK with him.  Fatheree?  Meh'.

Fatheree is at best, a project. Wykoff and Zuhn are legit tackle takes, both are lucky yet very good takes for aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I just wish they'd stick to only taking cubes.  Wykoff looks better than anything they took last year for OL and this year.  I honestly haven't watched anything on Zuhn so IDK with him.  Fatheree?  Meh'.

agreed all the way around. Wykoff and Zuhn are both really good gets. Zuhn is absolutely a good OT take with a really nice frame. I don't understand the Fatheree, he just doesn't seem to like football at all. If the light comes on he has nice athleticism for his height/length. Honestly, his being a project is still a better bet than taking another cube but he's so far from what they expect him to be. 

Henson could end up putting together a decent line in '23 but someone is gonna have to a scape goat for 2020 and 2021's OL. If aggy doesn't add a couple of grad transfers (and I don't think they will because Jimbo doesn't adapt) that 2021 OL is going to be FSU 2017 level bad - thought their scheduled 2021 OOC is horrendous, so ... 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

To counter that, he's saying he'd take Jimbo over Riley and Fleck? He'd take Jimbo over Matt Campbell? Over Mike Leach? Gundy or Brohm? 

1 hour ago, Mason Ramsey said:

oh trust me, I didn't believe it either. I don't know how you can take Jimbo over any of those guys. 

To approach it from the other direction, do they expect kansas to be competing for the cfp in a year or two?  Or is that head coach’s natty at his last team completely different because reasons?

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Hornsfan91 said:

Wasn’t Pruitt the DC for that national title?

Yes but he was only there for one season. Mark Stoops should get a lot of credit for that '13 defense at FSU. He bolted after the 2012 season and took Eddie Gran with him, a big reason supposedly being because Jimbo dressed him down in the locker room after a game for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

did anyone see jmlittle's post on Mond from 2018 that got necro-bumped after he shit all over him in his post-Vandy write up?  I think he's the insider who is a redass aggy but also graduated from (and I think played OL) at Harvard. Is that right? I get my insiders mixed-up.

Invoking Vince and Colt is always going to go poorly for aggy. 

Necro-Mond.png

Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It was never "the year" based on how good their team was going to be. It was "the year" based on how easy their pre-COVID schedule was. Their non-conference schedule was embarrassingly bad, they had the easiest possible draw in the West (No Georgia, Florida or Tennessee),  LSU lost nearly all of their star players, Auburn lost a bunch on their line, three other teams in their division had coaching changes and looked to be terrible, and even Bama was breaking in a new QB. 

Flash forward and now Florida looks pretty spicy. MSU shredded LSU. Ole Miss looks at least competent offensively. Tennessee looks decent. No matter how terrible Arkansas has been, they always seem to play them tough. They just had the only true gimme on their schedule and looked like hammered dogshit at home. It's no wonder that they are freaking out.

Still, I think they keep the Bama game pretty close. They will be satisfied playing hyper-conservatively and you know Fisher is going to snap the ball with less than 5 seconds on the clock in an effort to shorten the game. That's how they avoided blowouts to Clemson and Bama last year and kept it close with Georgia. 

Spot on, would recommend twice.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They won't win 6 if they lose the next 3 games. Jimbo will be forced to play the younger players and sell the future. 

I'd love nothing more than for them to go 1-9 but I think 6(7 as the ceiling, with a floor of 5). 

Bama L

FL L

MSST L

ARK W

SC W

TENN W 

MISS W

LSU W

AU L

20 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I do. 

6 wins is their absolute ceiling. It's possible, but they'd have to get them by by winning 5 of 6 out of Ole Miss, Miss St, Pig, Tennessee, SC, Auburn. 

Not very likely, especially after the 2 beatings they're about to take. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

6 wins their absolute ceiling. It's possible, but they'd have to get them by by winning 5 of 6 out of Ole Miss, Miss St, Pig, Tennessee, SC, Auburn. 

Certainly possible, but not likely. 

Man, LSU looks like shit. They can and will improve but they should have lost by 40 to Leach, State is not elite. Pig, SC & Ole Miss are wins IMO. MSST, Auburn, LSU & Tenn are tossups IMO. Likely losses to bama & FL. 

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Man, LSU looks like shit. They can and will improve but they should have lost by 40 to Leach, State is not elite. Pig, SC & Ole Miss are wins IMO. MSST, Auburn, LSU & Tenn are tossups IMO. Likely losses to bama & FL. 

They almost lost to..............Vandy. There's a good chance they drop all of the tossup games + one of the other 3. They've almost lost to arky multiple times with much better teams. And they've lost to ole miss regularly as well. 

About LSU, I'll go with the team that's beaten them 7 times out of 8. Aggy couldn't even beat them with their cracked up jesus playing. 

7 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

They almost lost to..............Vandy. There's a good chance they drop all of the tossup games + one of the other 3. They've almost lost to arky multiple times with much better teams. And they've lost to ole miss regularly as well. 

About LSU, I'll go with the team that's beaten them 7 times out of 8. Aggy couldn't even beat them with their cracked up jesus playing. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't see them beating Tennessee. They actually looked like they have an offense. 

Ole Miss is going to shred that defense. 

LSU will beat them on talent alone. 

They'll beat USce and Arky 

Before this nohomo'boner gets out of control, let's see a few more weeks of ball. My hope is bama & FL break their spirit because those should be some LOS beatdowns. If Leach delivers a win then let's fucking party.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Goodman said:

Before this nohomo'boner gets out of control, let's see a few more weeks of ball. My hope is bama & FL break their spirit because those should be some LOS beatdowns. If Leach delivers a win then let's fucking party.

Leach is going to destroy their will to flock to the glory holes. FL and Bama are for sure going in dry. Seeing Ole Miss against FL looked like they can sling it, and aggy defense is put together with the parts holding Max Wright's knees together. LSU will win because they own aggy and sitll have far more talent than anything aggy has. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I do. 

50 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'd love nothing more than for them to go 1-9 but I think 6(7 as the ceiling, with a floor of 5). 

Vandy (win 17-12)

@Bama L

FL L

@MSST L

ARK W

@SC W

@TENN W 

MISS W

LSU W

@AU L

You want to wager on this? No chance that team wins five-straight games if they start 1-3.

Tennessee will beat them at home. The Vols have way too much offensive weaponry for that defense - and A&M doesn't have corners. Ole Miss and LSU may beat them for the same reasons. Jimbo's offense isn't going to get better as the season progresses, but those two spread-oriented teams will.

Vandy (win 17-12) 1-0

@Bama L 1-1

FL L 1-2

@MSST L 1-3

ARK W 2-3

@SC W 3-3

@TENN L 3-4

MISS W (lose this or LSU)

LSU W (lose this or MISS) 4-5

@AU L 4-6

Honestly (and I believe I'm being rationale here), they're seriously looking at a losing season right now. IMO, 4-6 is a hell of a lot more likely than 6-4, with 5-5 potentially happening with an upset thrown in there.

36 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

You want to wager on this? No chance that team wins five-straight games if they start 1-3.

Tennessee will beat them at home. The Vols have way too much offensive weaponry for that defense - and A&M doesn't have corners. Ole Miss and LSU may beat them for the same reasons. Jimbo's offense isn't going to get better as the season progresses, but those two spread-oriented teams will.

Vandy (win 17-12) 1-0

@Bama L 1-1

FL L 1-2

@MSST L 1-3

ARK W 2-3

@SC W 3-3

@TENN L 3-4

@AU L 4-6

Honestly (and I believe I'm being rationale here), they're seriously looking at a losing season right now. IMO, 4-6 is a hell of a lot more likely than 6-4, with 5-5 potentially happening with an upset thrown in there.

Wager on aggy? Calm down you lunatic, these are opinions. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

It's a crazy season. The Aggies could be an underdog that bites someone. Mond can be dangerous running and does have days where he throws very well. Their defense could get some turnovers. I don't think it will happen against Alabama or Florida, but the rest is just really unpredictable. 

Of course, that's all kaput if Mond just can't stand Aggie entrenched racism and constant ragging on him for taking an actually admirable position. The whole locker room could implode and the Aggies only win one more game.

I just don't see making predictions like it's a normal year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Vandy (win 17-12) 1-0

@Bama L 1-1

FL L 1-2

@MSST L 1-3

ARK W 2-3

@SC W 3-3

@TENN L 3-4

@AU L 4-6

LSU will get better, but so will aggy. I think they beat Joey Fresh as that season gets away from him. Give me 5-5 with wins against Vandy, Ark, SCar, Miss, and......nope. Give me 4-6. 

What's most likely is they beat Florida and lose to Mississippi or South Carolina to reach 4-6.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

This is how I feel. If they lose their next 3 games, this season will go off the rails, look at how many players are already jumping ship, that is not a healthy locker room. 3 straight losses and it’s liable to implode.

The only way they’re getting to 6 wins is if they win at least 1 of the next 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last year Jimbo had Arkansas and then a bye before playing Bama, and I think he lightly prepared for Arkansas while spending most of three weeks preparing for Bama, which lead to a four point win against a terrible Arkansas team. I think he did the same thing this year with Vanderbilt before Bama, but which in effect makes both games closer than they should be, but I think similar to last year, it's all for naught for Jimbo 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, golfclap said:

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but did your friend have any interactions with Karen Key Largo?

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Last year Jimbo had Arkansas and then a bye before playing Bama, and I think he lightly prepared for Arkansas while spending most of three weeks preparing for Bama, which lead to a four point win against a terrible Arkansas team. I think he did the same thing this year with Vanderbilt before Bama, but which in effect makes both games closer than they should be, but I think similar to last year, it's all for naught for Jimbo 

It's not about a bye. They almost lose to Arky 85% of the time. Pig usually finds a way to fuck it up in the end, just look at the last 6 games. 

2019 31–27
2018 24–17
2017 50–43 OT
2016 45–24
2015 28–21 OT
2014 35–28 OT

Aggy had exactly one game that didn't come down to the last possession. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate