Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

fOSU is still in it. He'll end up in Columbus. 

Columbus is going all out this cycle, coast to coast. They upped their recruitment game during quarentine. At least try to conceal it somewhat, especially since these aren't regional recruits they're bagging. 

19 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

- I got a report on Lucedale (MS) ATH MJ Daniels yesterday, and it sounded like Lane Kiffin and company are doing a good job of keeping him in the boat after rumors swirled about him decommitting from the Rebels. I don't think the Aggies are going to throw in the towel here, but it could be more of a marathon than what many thought might turn into an all out sprint this summer. 

Huh, what’s going on here

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see how Harris develops because he will be compared to Smith. Right now, Smith looks like the much better prospect as an edge player.

It's not like UT took Harris and turned down Clayton.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see how Harris develops because he will be compared to Smith. Right now, Smith looks like the much better prospect as an edge player.

I think Harris will do fine, but probably going to take him a little more time to develop.. Smith looks like he can have quality snaps in year one.  If we close on Turner.. it will be fun to see how he and Burris careers come along

Just now, rvm96 said:

It's not like UT took Harris and turned down Clayton.

I think ou is selling the ability to play immediately. Smith knows Sanders is in the class, probably figured out that Harris could also join him at DE.  Then takes a look at Alfred "Reggie White" Collins in the 2020 class..  

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

I think ou is selling the ability to play immediately. Smith knows Sanders is in the class, probably figured out that Harris could also join him at DE.  Then takes a look at Alfred "Reggie White" Collins in the 2020 class..  

Way to not set expectations too high with the Reggie White comparison 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

Jason Howell

6:10p 

Staff

I caught up with Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon this afternoon at a Flight Skills workout. He says he is still deciding his future college home, but the Aggies are in great shape right now. 

He recently named a top 7 of Texas A&M, Oregon, Texas, Notre Dame, SMU, USC, and TCU, and even out of those seven there are a few schools separating.

"We have Texas coming up there. They're starting to create a good relationship with them. I had a good meeting yesterday with them and my parents. It was a nice meeting and there was good information they gave to me and my parents. Oregon is coming up. They're really standing out too. Then we already know Texas A&M is that school that's been up there from the start."

I mentioned the Aggies are in great shape, and Harmon did say the Aggies are his current leader.

"Yeah, it's fair to call them the leader right now, but like I said I'm still getting information from all the schools to see which one is the best fit."

He does have a timetable for a decision. He hoped to take some summer visits before deciding but since that looks doubtful he is rethinking his timeline. He didn't give a definite date, but he said it could be as early as the next few weeks or as late as July. Regardless of when he announces, the Aggies continue to be in great shape..

I also got a chance to see Fort Worth Nolan Catholic 2022 LB/DE Vincent Paige. He is a chiseled 6-2.5, 230 and he is putting in a lot of work this offseason. He did two workouts with coach Flight today. Texas A&M has been in communication with coach Santucci leading the Aggies' efforts. He was on varsity at Denton Guyer last fall. He already holds offers from Kansas and Baylor.

Another impressive underclassmen was Dallas Parish Episcopal 2023 ATH Daniel Demery. He already holds offers from Colorado, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, SMU, Vanderbilt, Kansas, and Illinois State. At 6-foot, 180, he has some very nice length to him and he is a fluid athlete with quick feet. He's a guy to put on your radars if he is not already.

I'll update this thread with some pics and videos I shot today here in a bit. 

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think Harris will do fine, but probably going to take him a little more time to develop.. Smith looks like he can have quality snaps in year one.  If we close on Turner.. it will be fun to see how he and Burris careers come along

Clayton Smith is the better prospect. He has a better frame and better quickness off the line. That's not entirely fair to Harris because New Caney asks him to play in space in addition to being a primary blitzer. Smith has better rush instincts imo, but it appears from the tape that when he's playing defense, that's all he's really asked to do. 

Smith would need time before he would play at Texas. Looking at blOU's depth chart, he may play there as a true Freshman in a rush end role. He'll be the same size as Ossai when he enrolls, just needs a little time. 

I like Derrick Harris a lot, but we don't need him to pan out into a starter. I also discovered his dad was an NFL RB which bodes well for what he could become. 

Projecting out positions, it's probably Sanders and Harris at Jack and Thomas will grow into a 3. Turner is still on the board, he's probably a 3 although he's already bigger than Sweat. I doubt we take a true candidate for nose this cycle unless Turner get's really big. Hopefully we can snag a late rising true DE, but Sanders, Harris, Thomas, and Turner would be a good group to tack onto the 2020 haul. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Clayton Smith is the better prospect. He has a better frame and better quickness off the line. That's not entirely fair to Harris because New Caney asks him to play in space in addition to being a primary blitzer. Smith has better rush instincts imo, but it appears from the tape that when he's playing defense, that's all he's really asked to do. 

Smith would need time before he would play at Texas. Looking at blOU's depth chart, he may play there as a true Freshman in a rush end role. He'll be the same size as Ossai when he enrolls, just needs a little time. 

I like Derrick Harris a lot, but we don't need him to pan out into a starter. I also discovered his dad was an NFL RB which bodes well for what he could become. 

Projecting out positions, it's probably Sanders and Harris at Jack and Thomas will grow into a 3. Turner is still on the board, he's probably a 3 although he's already bigger than Sweat. I doubt we take a true candidate for nose this cycle unless Turner get's really big. Hopefully we can snag a late rising true DE, but Sanders, Harris, Thomas, and Turner would be a good group to tack onto the 2020 haul. 

Sweat is 6'4 335. What do you know about Turner that I don't?

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

sadness continues

Hide contents

EX8OiwdXgAAnBRg?format=png&name=360x360EX8OjZkX0AALoW5?format=png&name=360x360EX8OjxlXgAMp8n8?format=png&name=360x360EX8OkHSXsAUSP3s?format=png&name=360x360

I’m amazed that these guys, to a man, have yet to even acknowledge or opine about the possible attrition risks from OOS recruits. They’re all gonna act like it’s never happened before in the history of recruiting. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Liucci

In reply to ruxin98 •  10:15p 

Staff

AG

2021NCAggies said:

Looks like he could pull the trigger soon to OU. 

That's from tos, Of course

ruxin98 said:

Damn, that would really suck.

Barring landing Tywone Malone, the Ags need to get Burris or Robbins on the inside. I don't think you load up with both of them plus Vaka. I always prefer starting in state and would love to see the Burris/Jackson duo reverse course but if not, you need to grab guys like Robbins and Turner. Of course, this makes three of the in-state guys who were deemed takes going to Texas, OU and LSU, so not something you want to see.

OU conducts some pretty high-pressure sales tactics under Riley and part of their effort is certainly the full-court press. It gets them a lot of commits but it also has resulted in several guys ultimately ending up elsewhere. Watts, McClellan, Edgerrin Cooper, Spiller and the five-star QB from this year and that's just off the top of my head in just a little more than the past calendar year. Not the time to panic too much.

This is something Howell texted Brauny and I about today. Reached out to a Pleasant Grove source who said he didn't think Marcus had made a decision and that it would be at least a week until he picks. IMO, the smoke emanating from Norman leads me to believe Lincoln and Grinch think otherwise.

Liucci

In reply to tamu2017 •  10:20p 

Staff

AG

+ 1 more quotes (click to expand)

Jet Black said:

Take this crap to 247. We have out recruited OU for the past 3 years.

tamu2017 said:

That's true but winning matters and it does catch up eventually. In state is a battle on recruiting. Because kids hear negative things about A&M on the regular that out of state kids don't. Don't be naive

This much is true because OU, Texas, the other in-state schools spend a LOT of energy trying to take down the one SEC program in the state and then you have division rivals like LSU, Arkansas and Bama all doing the same. It's not an easy road but Fisher has navigated it just fine. Sure, the wins have to eventually come in order to keep it up and that's where this year and the seasons after that come into play. They're positioning themselves to make a big jump in the W/L column and there's not much reason to believe they won't with the talent Jimbo and Elko have been assembling.

Liucci

In reply to BradenMeador •  10:36p 

Staff

AG

BradenMeador said:

Y'all better leave my man TP alone. One of the most consistent coaches we've had in the past 10 years. 

Exactly. Problem is, there are a couple of people on here who go out of their way to target a coach when said coach doesn't land a few guys in a row. Those same folks were on TP last year when Princely chose Texas and Broughton chose the Horns. A&M ended up with Harris and Jackson and all was right in the world. Same with the folks who go out of their way to try and find asterisks to place on Henson landing Morris, Aki and Zuhn in the last few months.  

Texas fans have forgotten while celebrating the Jordon Thomas win but they had the same (very) vocal minority calling for Oscar Giles' head a year ago when they thought Broughton and Princely were going to be Aggies. One thing I've learned doing this is that this same small sect of posters are going to be the loudest and come out to scream from the hilltops every time they see an opening.

Liucci

In reply to 2021NCAggies •  10:39p 

Staff

AG

+ 1 more quotes (click to expand)

ruxin98 said:

Damn, that would really suck.

2021NCAggies said:

Its not ideal. We lost Jackson to LSU, Burris and Clayton Smith are talking OU. 

We look to take 3 interior guys. Probably Robbins, Vaka and Malone are our top guys. 

Burris is on that verge of being an interior guy. I bet we want Goodwine more

Either way this doesn't look good on Price

I don't even believe the Aggies are even recruiting Smith so let's not cook the books in favor of your argument.

I don't think they'll take three more interior guys in this class. Two plus a 'swing' guy at most.

Just making sure we're talking accurately here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

This much is true because OU, Texas, the other in-state schools spend a LOT of energy trying to take down the one SEC program in the state and then you have division rivals like LSU, Arkansas and Bama all doing the same.

Yeah, that's the reason why it's been tough so far in 2021 in state.  I thought being the one SEC program was beneficial?

planet of the apes eye roll GIF

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

That's true but winning matters and it does catch up eventually. In state is a battle on recruiting. Because kids hear negative things about A&M on the regular that out of state kids don't. Don't be naive

This much is true because OU, Texas, the other in-state schools spend a LOT of energy trying to take down the one SEC program in the state and then you have division rivals like LSU, Arkansas and Bama all doing the same. It's not an easy road but Fisher has navigated it just fine. Sure, the wins have to eventually come in order to keep it up and that's where this year and the seasons after that come into play. They're positioning themselves to make a big jump in the W/L column and there's not much reason to believe they won't with the talent Jimbo and Elko have been assembling.

"We have no answer to negative in-state recruiting because we haven't won anything. But, I dare one of you sheep to challenge my assertion that this is the year where it all changes"

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

they had the same (very) vocal minority calling for Oscar Giles' head a year ago

Billy's on Surly, confirmed. Hi, bitch!

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

While I'm happy that A&M continues to whiff on their top local prospects, I'm not celebrating too much considering Clayton felt like a lock to Texas a week ago 

Relax.. OG is like the tortuga.. he takes his time, but he always gets it right..

On 5/12/2020 at 5:37 PM, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

2:05p 

Staff

- Texas A&M hosted St James (LA) DE Saivion Jones yesterday on a virtual visit. According to a source, the conversations between Jones and the Aggies has gone well, and the interactive tour, like it has for most of the prospects that have experienced it, was a big hit. It sounds like it was relayed to Jones just how highly the A&M staff thinks of him and his game. I do think Mike Elko and company are playing from behind though. LSU and Alabama are the perceived leaders, and my guess as I sit here today is that he winds up in Baton Rouge or Tuscaloosa. 

- Another name in the state of the Louisiana that continues to stay in regular contact with the Aggies is University Lab safety Jardin Gilbert. We haven't written too much about Gilbert up to this point, but a contact that I spoke with yesterday seemed to think A&M is right in the thick of it for the 6-1, 180 pounder. We need to make sure we continue to mention him as a possibility on the board at safety. 

- Staying on the back end of Mike Elko's defense, a Florida source that has a good pulse on the recruiting activity in the Sunshine State told me he believed it was going to be very tough to pull Tallahassee (FL) product Terrion Arnoldout of state. He's still in talks with A&M, but it sounds like it's currently trending elsewhere. My guy did say however that the Aggies are doing very well with Kamren Kinchens down in south Florida. Auburn had made a big push recently, and the Tigers seem to be battling it out for that top spot with A&M. I was told that the coaching staff's ties to the area coupled with the steady effort by Mike Elko and the influence of Donell Harris were all key contributors in the Ags' recent momentum. 

- I spoke with Katy Taylor OL Bryce Foster for a bit. We didn't get into recruiting too much, but he did fill me in on some interesting details. He said he had gotten too heavy around the beginning of the year and has been working to shed some of that unwanted weight. He said he's down nearly 50 pounds since February and is running in the 4.8 range. He even joked that he wanted to get a couple of carries this fall and would be working on the coaches there at Katy Taylor to make it happen. 

- Staying at OL, I haven't heard anything relatively new surrounding the recruitment of priority tackle prospect Reuben Fatheree from Richmond Foster. I do know he's stayed in regular contact with multiple members of the A&M staff, and the current feel of the recruitment hasn't ever wavered too far away from the Maroon & White. While the 6-8, 305 pounder isn't a big talker, he is a big influence. He and his family are widely respected in the football circles of greater Houston and even around the state. The last time I spoke with the kid, he mentioned he didn't have a set date for a decision, but he felt like it would happen sometime in the summer or before the season. To this point, the NCAA has yet to rule on what the summer calendar will look like in terms of on campus visits. It'll be interesting to see if that decision could speed up or slow down Fatheree's timeline. 

- I got a report on Lucedale (MS) ATH MJ Daniels yesterday, and it sounded like Lane Kiffin and company are doing a good job of keeping him in the boat after rumors swirled about him decommitting from the Rebels. I don't think the Aggies are going to throw in the towel here, but it could be more of a marathon than what many thought might turn into an all out sprint this summer. 

- We are continuing to keep an eye on Frisco Independence S Caleb Ellis in terms of a potential offer. A&M is definitely keeping tabs on him to the point where I wonder if his name isn't first on the list to come to campus as soon as that is feasible. 

Liucci

4:02p, 5/11/20 

Staff

AG

Billy Bowman as the No 5 ranked player in the state per rivals is actually laughable. Compare him to Deuce Harmon. Now go look at the disparity in ranking. Same district.

I would say the same when it comes Milroe at 10 and Stowers at like 24 or wherever he is. How??? Look at what they did as juniors, look at their measurables/intangibles. Rank either guy higher and I'm not really going to because both are damn good but the gap (especially in the national rankings) is laughable. 

Same thing last year with Hudson Card and Haynes King. Folks don't want to address this but it's pretty obvious.

By Olin Buchanan

Once again that time has arrived when hot air gusts, annoying pests emerge and fatigue quickly sets in.

We are, of course, referring to the Texas Longhorns’ annual summer attempt to pressure Texas A&M into renewing the football series that ended in 2012 — at the Longhorns’ behest.

This year, the hot air and pests came early in the form of self-serving, sophomoric and contradictory statements from Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte on the tired, old subject of renewing the Texas A&M-Texas football series. He referenced several college football rivalries and said not playing those games makes no sense.

Makes no sense? Kind of like one college football program starting its own television network or demanding conference-generated revenue should not be evenly distributed among teams in that conference?

That makes about as much sense as a 10-team conference calling itself the Big 12.

Further, Del Conte said: “My goal is to play anyone that’s won a national championship in the modern era as part of our non-conference schedule.”

Texas is like that psychotic significant other from a past toxic relationship. You put up with their high-maintenance, selfish drama for way too long and then finally leave.

That was interpreted nationally as a shot at A&M, which we all know has not won a national title since 1939.

That’s fine. A&M continues to focus on the future rather than the past.

But if Del Conte is taking shots at A&M through the media, why is he also whining about A&M’s disinterest in playing Texas?

Texas is like that unbalanced significant other from a past toxic relationship. You put up with their high-maintenance, selfish drama for way too long and then finally leave.

The psycho ex eventually begs you to come back. But you realize it’s not hard to make a list of at least 10 reasons not to go back.

10) Texas ended the series: When A&M moved to the Southeastern Conference in 2012, then-Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said: “They left. They’re the ones that decided not to play us.” That’s simply not true. A&M wanted the series to continue. That would’ve been possible, too. Florida faces Florida State. Georgia faces Georgia Tech. Kentucky faces Louisville. South Carolina faces Clemson. The series could’ve continued despite A&M’s move; Texas didn’t want to play the Aggies.

9) Don’t let Texas set terms: Dodds also went on to say: “We get to decide when we’ll play again.” Why? Why would Texas think it gets to decide? That demonstrated Texas felt it still had the ability to assert control over A&M. No thanks.

8) Texas encouraged Big 12 teams not to schedule A&M: Following A&M’s move, DeLoss reportedly encouraged other Big 12 athletic programs not to schedule Texas A&M in any sport. That in itself is sufficient reason not to schedule Texas.

7) Don’t be manipulated: Unaccustomed to not getting what it wants, Texas has attempted to pressure A&M through media. That includes many reporters with ties to Texas, Texas officials, fans and other media accusing A&M of “ducking” Texas while conveniently overlooking the fact that A&M has scheduled much more successful programs like Clemson and Notre Dame. A&M should not bow to Texas’ strong-arm tactics.

6) A&M should set its own scheduling philosophy: A&M’s policy is to schedule one Power 5 opponent every season. That’s quite common. Every team in the SEC West Division has the same approach. In fact, that’s what Texas does. True, A&M plays four non-conference games, but A&M shouldn’t be expected to change its philosophy to satisfy Texas.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Scheduling different opponents allows Aggies to travel. Texas A&M made the trip to Clemson just last year.

5) Better road trips: Except for the traffic and vagrants, Austin is a fun city. Aggies can go there any time they want. Scheduling different Power 5 opponents allows Aggies to visit other towns and stadiums. A&M has played at Clemson and UCLA. In upcoming seasons, A&M will travel to Colorado, Miami, Notre Dame and Arizona State. Here’s hoping teams like Wisconsin, Penn State and Washington appear on A&M’s future schedules. Maryland would be good, too. Even Texas fans would agree Maryland is a tough opponent.

4) Better opponents: Frankly, A&M is scheduling better Power 5 opponents than Texas. Since 2012 when A&M left for the SEC, the majority of A&M’s Power 5 non-conference opponents are more successful than Texas.

The Longhorns are 58-45 since 2012 (a 56.3 win percentage). In the same span, Clemson is 101-12 (89.3 percent), Notre Dame is 76-27 (73.7 percent), Miami is 62-40 (60.7 percent), Arizona State is 61-43 (58.6 percent). Even UCLA (54-48, 52.9 percent) is at least comparable.

That proves the “A&M is ducking Texas” narrative is completely asinine.

3) National brand: A&M is looking to expand its national brand. Therefore, scheduling nationwide makes perfect sense. It seems to be helping in recruiting. A&M’s 2020 recruiting class had 14 players from out of state. The Aggies already have four out of state commitments in their 2021 class.

2) A&M doesn’t need to play Texas: A&M plays LSU, Alabama and Auburn every year. In some seasons they play the likes of Georgia, Florida and Tennessee from the SEC East. Unlike Texas, whose schedule as it stands typically features one marquee home game every other year since the OU game is in Dallas, there is no shortage of marquee games on A&M’s schedule or high-profile opponents coming to Kyle Field.

1) Texas wants it so bad: No more explanation is necessary.

That scheduling Texas is the most Aggy shit I have ever read.

16 hours ago, Thiefery said:

That is fine, because Texas has people to play the Jack. Ossai with a big season, is probably gone, but Hobbs and Dorbah will be waiting in the wings. Though we really need Smith in this class as well.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Liucci

9:39a 

Staff

AG

Just a little mid-May screenshot for you guys. All I did was group some of the Ags top targets down in a few different categories, which should give you an idea of where things stand today. Keep a couple of things in mind, however. First, things change and seem to be doing that in a hurry during this shutdown. Second, we're seeing an unprecedented number of 'surprising' commits, at least in terms of the timing. That trend will absolutely continue now that prospects can't make on-campus visits until at least August and (most likely) not until September 1. Tied into No. 2 is No. 3, which is the fact that I'm absolutely convinced we'll see a higher number of decommitments around the country this year than in my 20-plus years of covering this stuff (so long as there isn't an early Signing Day, which I don't believe there will be). And finally, the Ags still have a LOT of prospects on the board whose tape is probably worthy of an offer but who it's tough to move on because of things like simply not knowing verifiable sizes, speeds, etc. Because of the fact you're just not getting those until the fall at this point, I think tough decisions will have to be made - not only in Bright but around the country - and you'll start seeing several names added to offer lists everywhere over the next couple of weeks, the Aggies included.

- As far as prospects most likely to join the Ags' Class of 2021, this is the group that I would feel most confident about today.

Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon 
Richmond Foster OT Reuben Fatheree 
Grandview TE/DE Dametrious Crownover 

Harmon and Fatheree have felt like A&M leans for quite some time now, with Harmon getting very close to reaching a decision. He'd be a big head-to-head win for the Ags over in-state recruiting rival Texas and would begin to address one of the two biggest needs in this class at cornerback. Stay glued in here.

As for the Ags' other most glaring need area, picking up a commitment from Reuben Fatheree at tackle would be an enormous get, both figuratively and literally. The 6-8 offensive lineman is not only one of the state's top-10-15 prospects but he's a longtime priority target for Jimbo Fisher, Josh Henson and Co. who has All-American upside.

Dametrious Crownover recently included the Ags in his list of 11 finalists and it would qualify as quite the surprise if they didn't ultimately end up winning out. The 6-7, 270-pound TE/ATH isn't on a specific time frame but the odds remain very high he'll join his older brother Earnest (a late 2020 signee at tailback) in College Station next fall.

- This next group includes a handful of out-of-state targets who the Aggies appear to currently be in anywhere from good to very good standing with. Most of these guys aren't on a specific timeline but it wouldn't shock me at all to see the Ags pick a name or two off of this list over the next month or so.

Philadelphia (PA) Northeast CB Tyreek Chappell - He has a July 4 commitment date scheduled and the Ags have an excellent shot to reel in one of their top targets at corner. Penn State is probably the primary competition here.

Philadelphia (PA) Imhotep Institute DT Taleeq Robbins - Another Pennsylvania product who I like the Aggies' chances with the 6-3, 300-pounder. Robbins holds A&M, Georgia and Ole Miss offers out of the SEC and he's a guy Elijah Robinson and Mike Elko have done very good work with thus far. A definite take and priority up front.

Miami (FL) Central RB Amari Daniels - We've talked about the South Florida playmaker for over a year now and he's been a guy Jimbo Fisher has loved dating as far back to the end of his tenure at Florida State. A&M has always been a prime player here and are one of his four finalists along with Georgia, Penn State and Nebraska. This one still has a Maroon & White feel to it though Georgia is always dangerous in Florida and specifically when it comes to recruiting tailbacks.

Miami (FL) Central ATH Yulkeith Brown - The versatile athlete makes plays on both sides of the ball. Brown has been one of the first names mentioned by sources for a while now when asked which players from out-of-state are showing the Ags the most love. LSU, Miami and Penn State look like the primary competition here but A&M has proven more than once under Fisher that they are plenty capable of winning hard-fought battles in the Sunshine State against not only the Florida schools but also high-end SEC competition.

Miami (FL) Northwestern S Kamren Kinchens - While it would be premature to write off the Florida programs, this one has taken on the feel of an SEC West joust between A&M and Auburn of late.

Mississippi Gulf Coast CC CB Jadarrius Perkins - The recently-offered JUCO cover man is very well-versed on the A&M program and there's a legit shot that he eventually becomes the third highly-regarded corner to sign with the Ags out of the JC ranks in as many classes.

-Trending up. Three in-state priorities and top-10 talents plus an out-of-state safety who the Ags are making positive strides with of late.

Cy-Fair RB LJ Johnson Jr - Jimbo Fisher and Tommie Robinson have placed the highest-level priority on the Houston-area running back's recruitment and it's paying off. The Ags need to sign a game-changing back this cycle and Johnson represents their best shot at doing so. I feel pretty sure he'll be toting the rock in the SEC next fall, with A&M's stiffest competition possibly coming from the Georgia Bulldogs.

DeSoto DL Shemar Turner - The DeSoto d-lineman is as good as there is in the Lone Star State and A&M has made a significant move of late. Turner's next move will probably be trimming his list so he's still a long way from a decision. If there's a defensive lineman ready-made for the SEC in Texas this year, Turner is that dude, which is probably why A&M, LSU, Georgia and Bama are likely to emerge as the primary players.

Katy Taylor OG Bryce Foster - As we've said all along, the Aggies are playing the long game here, along with primary players OU, Oregon and LSU. Not that the Ags ever went away but it sure feels like A&M is trending up despite recent rumors coming out of Norman to the contrary.

Canonsburg (PA) Peters Township S Donovan McMillon - The fast-rising safety was blown away by his virtual visit last week, which only strengthened the Ags' position as one of the prime-time players in his recruitment. McMillon is one of the more underrated prospects in the country when you compare his ranking with his offer list and the schools pushing for a commit. A&M has real staying power here.

-Not a lot has changed with the following group but all five of the players mentioned are still being heavily recruited by the Aggies. A couple of names off of this list inking with the Aggies on NSD would come as no real surprise.

Magnolia OL Matthew Wykoff
Miami (FL) Northwestern WR Romello Brinson 
Jackson (MO) OL Connor Tollison (Missouri commit)
Lucedale (MS) George County CB MJ Daniels (Ole Miss commit)
Baton Rouge (LA) University Lab S Jardin Gilbert 

-I've separated this group because while I don't think the Ags necessarily lead for any of the five, it wouldn't shock me at all to see A&M eventually ink a member of this elite crew of defenders.

Duncanville LB Kendrick Blackshire - Ags will have to surpass Bama and LSU in what could be an All-SEC West battle for the state's most coveted linebacker.

Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic DT Tywone Malone - The five-star DT and nation's No. 2-ranked player at the position has his pick of college football powers but if there's one thing you should have learned by now, it's to not underestimate Elijah Robinson's ability to recruit superstars on the defensive interior or his ability to pull players out of New Jersey (or anywhere in the Northeast, for that matter).

Ft Washington (MD) National Christian Academy DE Monkell Goodwine - Even though the Ags have an 'in' having signed Goodwine's teammate Joshuah Moten last December, this one might be one of the tougher pulls of the five. Alabama, Penn State and LSU are jockeying for position along with the Ags and slick Mike Locksley and the hometown Maryland Terrapins may actually be the team to beat for the blue-chip defensive lineman.

Beggs (OK) S Kendal Daniels - The four-star safety out of Oklahoma has the Sooners, Aggies, Clemson and LSU composing his 'final four.' From talking to folks close to this recruitment, A&M is a more serious player here than either Brent Venables and Alex Grinch had expected. This one would be a tough pull from north of the Red River but Mike Elko and the Aggies have a legitimate shot. 

Virginia Beach (VA) Princess Anne CB Tony Grimes - The five-star corner has always considered the Ags one of his primary options and A&M has been recruiting him as long as just about anyone. He'll be releasing a top-3 in a couple of weeks and, though not a sure thing, there's a good chance the Aggies will be rewarded for their efforts. Georgia is where I'd pick if you asked me today where the lockdown cover man will sign but his recruitment isn't ending in an announcement anytime soon so the Ags' chances of getting another on-campus visit in the fall. This is one of those recruitments where you hang in there, put together a big year on the field and see what happens come December or February.

-Finally, the prospects who I wouldn't yet write A&M off for but who, based on what we're hearing, the Ags have a decent amount of ground to make up in order to remain in serious contention.

St. James (LA) DE Saivion Jones - Laughably under-ranked by the keyboard experts, the 6-5, 240-pound defensive is a three-star with a five-star decision on his hands. LSU, Alabama, Florida, Florida State and A&M are all working overtime here but, as of today, this one has an LSU/Bama feel to it with the home-state TIgers likely to win out. Then again, this is why you continue to push recent Tiger pledge Landon Jackson if you're the Aggies. As Ed O proved last year, the Bayou Bengals will push their advantage as far as they can...even if that means over-recruiting certain positions.

Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton - The state's most heavily-recruited and highly-ranked tailback is still in regular contact with the Aggies and doesn't appear anywhere close to a decision but the Ags are rumored to have significant ground to make up in order to even make Wheaton's next cut. Keep an eye on OU here for the Dallas back.

Pleasant Grove DL Marcus Burris - Pleasant Grove has been a real head-scratcher of late. First, DE Landon Jackson went from longtime A&M lean to LSU Tiger seemingly overnight and recent buzz has DT Marcus Burris on the verge of choosing OU as the Sooners decided to put on a full-court press. I'd expect the Ags to continue to push both to visit, committed or not, in the fall but for now the state champion teammates are looking less and less likely to call Kyle Field and College Station home.

That should get everyone caught up. There are several targets not listed who the Ags are actively recruiting, a handful of Texans who are legitimate offer candidates and even a couple of priorities I left off the list but the aforementioned prospects were simply the ones that fit into the groups I've had on my mind this week.

DeSoto DL Shemar Turner - The DeSoto d-lineman is as good as there is in the Lone Star State and A&M has made a significant move of late. Turner's next move will probably be trimming his list so he's still a long way from a decision. If there's a defensive lineman ready-made for the SEC in Texas this year, Turner is that dude, which is probably why A&M, LSU, Georgia and Bama are likely to emerge as the primary players.

Oh you sassy little bitch, Looch

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh you sassy little bitch, Looch

Couple of notes from that post:

1) Was Shemar Turner even on Looch's list of the 4 "SEC West" caliber DL post he made like a month ago, and they promptly started whiffing on? Because I want to say he wasn't. If not, that would be motherfuckering hilarious. 

2.) I loved the part on Foster. "Despite everything we're hearing in regards to Foster favoring OU, we're predicting the aTm long game and he goes to College Station." I mean, it's not anything new, but the whole "Despite all evidence and reporting to the contrary, we're still picking aTm" routine never fucking fails to make me laugh and raise my fucking eyebrows. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Couple of notes from that post:

1) Was Shemar Turner even on Looch's list of the 4 "SEC West" caliber DL post he made like a month ago, and they promptly started whiffing on? Because I want to say he wasn't. If not, that would be motherfuckering hilarious. 

He did have Turnet along with Sanders, Jackson, and Thomas.  But you see, Turner is now "That Dude!"  Which clearly means he's now the #1 SEC West caliber DL in the state since he's the only uncommitted one.