Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

45 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

The real story of that 1975 season is the lost opportunity Ole Miss had.  They hadn't lost a game heading into their opener at Baylor and fell 10-20, but they prevented the Bears from raping anyone in Waco that day.  With the opener dropping them under .500 for the first time all season, they were bummed to return the State of Texas just one week later to play at aggy.  The aggys hadn't played a game yet, so they were well rested and able to scout Ole Miss the week before at Baylor.  Ole Miss arguably had the second best defense on the field that day with a slew of All-District High Schoolers, also ran SEC players, and future Raising Cane's Assistant Managers. However, the offense was still trying to catch up and they failed to score in a 0-7 loss on a completely normal sad and depressing day in College Station. 

The best 0-2 team in the country had to hit the road for the third week in a row and fell to a powerful Tulane team that would've finished much stronger than 4-7 if they caught a few breaks, the ball bounced their way, and they weren't completely shitty.  The Rebels vaunted "Second Best Defense on the Field" held Tulane to only 14.  The offense found it's footing after being shutout the week before, and that foot was the kicker's as he booted a FG in the 3-14 loss. 

After the MSUCC (Mississippi State University Conspiracy Committee) arranged for Ole Miss to open with three straight road games, you knew they'd turn it around in the home opener with a rousing 24-8 win against the 4th best team in Mississippi, the Southern Miss Golden Eagles.  Not even 5 year old Brett Favre could keep the Golden Eagles from falling to the rising Rebels.  Of course, the NCAA couldn't allow the Rebels to get on a roll, so they're back on the road to Bama. If it had been played at home the 6-32 score would very likely have been reversed.  Ole Miss then ripped off a 1 game winning streak against UGA before losing their only home game of the year to South Carolina in a game that I'm sure we all know was poorly officiated.          

Those trials and tribulations really brought the team together to finish the season on 4 game winning streak in which the offense excelled, even breaking 20 points one time.  A failure in the bowl system not to have 40 bowl games is the only thing that prevented the Rebels from going bowling.  It's safe to say they would've won their bowl game if they were good enough to play in one. 

Sure, they were 6-5 on the season, but they outscored their opponents 16-15.  Four of their five losses were on the road.  Only three of their five losses were by 10+ points.  It's safe to say if they could've played all home games they would've made it very interesting.  As it turned it, 1975 was a Lost Opportunity for the Ole Miss Rebels.  

Man, coming from way leftfield with the post of the day. Well done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

Tarp with an absolute gem of an article about the 1975 aggy team and how close they were to a national title :: 

Lost opportunities: 1975 undefeated Texas A&M at Arkansas

my favorite quote combos ::

leading to :: 

Of course.

What's that? How did aggy do in their bowl you ask? aggy got beat 20-0 by a USC team that had lost 4 straight games heading in to bowl season. 

My flabber, it’s gasted.

• Like 4

Tarp with an absolute gem of an article about the 1975 aggy team and how close they were to a national title :: 

Of course.

What's that? How did aggy do in their bowl you ask? aggy got beat 20-0 by a USC team that had lost 4 straight games heading in to bowl season. 

Dp

Edited by Hank_Hill

Of course.

TP

Edited by Hank_Hill

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The Safety from Pennsylvania that they think is in the bag just got crystal balled to Florida.  Brewster upped the money bag??

OU has been counting McMillon as part of their class as well. Looks like the race for 6'4" Kendall No-I'm-Not-A-LB Daniels is about to heat up. 

Aggie 247 / Brian Dohn / Top247 DE Monkell Goodwine discusses SEC suitors

Spoiler

Top247 DE Monkell Goodwine discusses SEC suitors
ByBRIAN DOHN

Top247 defensive end Monkell Goodwine has been open to change throughout his recruitment with shifts in his top five, and another could be coming as summer begins.

The Fort Washington (Md.) National Christian standout said he remains in touch with Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M, each of which were in his top five in early April, but Arizona State and Kentucky are schools that recently grabbed his attention and are of interest.

“I probably would’ve taken my five official visits and decided (by now),” said Goodwine, who is the No. 9 strong side defensive end in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “Then, all this happened.”

With visits shut down at least through July, Goodwine does not plan on deciding for a while.

Alabama has been in contact with Goodwin recently, and the Crimson Tide certainly intrigue him.

“The coaches talk to me a lot,” the 6-foot-4, 260-pound Goodwine said. “They show me love. I know how coach (Nick) Saban gets down. He’s a professional guy. He does what he hast to do to make his players successful. That is what it is about, making a kid into a successful man.”

Crimson Tide assistant coach Sal Sunseri is also speaking aplenty with Goodwine.

“Coach Sal is a good coach,” Goodwine said. “He has been in the game for years and he has experience. He got Terrell Lewis into the league, and I don’t know why he did not go first round. They develop the best defensive linemen and they have more coming too. So, why not?”

Texas A&M is familiar to Goodwine, and it goes beyond the relationship with defensive line coach Elijah Robinson and coach Jimbo Fisher. His former teammate, Joshuah Moten, signed with the Aggies in the 2020 class.

“I like Texas A&M a lot,” Goodwine said. “The thing I like about Texas A&M when I really started to get into my recruitment, I communicate with everybody. We talk about things every day, like my branding, etc.”

The relationship with the coaching staff is also important.

“Coach Jimbo, he’s right,” Goodwin said. “I really mesh with him. I can talk to him about anything as well. The communication is there with Texas A&M. That is one thing that I like about them. They keep it real with me. Coach Robinson, he keeps it real with me and says he’s not going to leave Texas A&M and that he signed a new contract and all that.

“(Defensive end) coach (Terry) Price, I like him too. He’s a great coach and he coached Myles Garrett, and look how Myles Garrett turned out, one of the greatest the ends to come out of college and a freshman all-American.”

LSU is heavily involved with Goodwine, who tracks recruiting classes and also likes the way the Tigers develop defensive linemen.

“They are good, too,” Goodwine said. “They already have two defensive ends that are committed, Landon (Jackson) and Saivion (Jones). They already have two that they want, and they want me as well, and I am a defensive end, but they are thinking of moving me inside. That isn’t bad at all but I am not an inside type of guy.”

Tigers coach Ed Orgeron is a key part of the recruitment of Goodwine.

““He talks to me a lot about coming out there, and about personal things,” Goodwine said. “Coach O, he’s a cool dude.”

Goodwine just started communicating with Arizona State defensive line coach Robert Rodriguez, and playing in the Pac-12 as a defensive end rushing the passer is an option. The Sun Devils extended an offer this week.

“I don’t know much yet,” he said. “They are looking for a defensive end.”

Kentucky is also making a push.

“They communicate with me a lot,” he said. “On top of that, they are saying if I was to go there, they don’t have a lot of D-ends there like they do when you look at the rosters at Alabama or LSU. They definitely can develop me there.”

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

aggy has offered 15 S and not a single one in Texas. Not one. 

the level of apathy that the 2021 and 2022 kids feel for aggy is not to be outdone by Elko's desire to ignore the talent in state. it's amazing to watch. 

What are the odds neither he and Grinch are in the same jobs this time next year? 75%

In Texas for 2021 you have :: Mukuba. Coffey. Nwokobia. Caston. Rawls. Ellis. Baskerville. Thursby. Noel. Lane. Jungu-Sungu. Macias. I'm all for the aggy approach. 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

What are the odds neither he and Grinch are in the same jobs this time next year? 75%

Yep. and it will create some interesting dilemmas. I assume that OU will have to look for someone from that Mizzou-type coaching tree to try and replicate what they are doing there because if they transition to a standard defense with not a single player over 280 pounds on the 2-deep at DL, it's going to be a challenge. On the other end of the spectrum a DC that wants to follow Elko will have a depth chart with 31 Safeties and 26 DTs but not a DE or CB to be found. that's if every guy on a defense built entirely OOS doesn't simply portal out of LitStation. I guess they'd almost have to offer Robinson the job to keep the players AND keep the same basic scheme. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

In Texas for 2021 you have :: Mukuba. Coffey. Nwokobia. Caston. Rawls. Ellis. Baskerville. Thursby. Noel. Lane. Jungu-Sungu. Macias. I'm all for the aggy approach. 

Yep. and it will create some interesting dilemmas. I assume that OU will have to look for someone from that Mizzou-type coaching tree to try and replicate what they are doing there because if they transition to a standard defense with not a single player over 280 pounds on the 2-deep at DL, it's going to be a challenge. On the other end of the spectrum a DC that wants to follow Elko will have a depth chart with 31 Safeties and 26 DTs but not a DE or CB to be found. that's if every guy on a defense built entirely OOS doesn't simply portal out of LitStation. I guess they'd almost have to offer Robinson the job to keep the players AND keep the same basic scheme. 

I was unaware of the gloriousness that is "Placide Djungu-Sungu" before this moment, and now all I want is for him to be in the Big XII so I can be reminded of it every year: https://247sports.com/player/placide-djungu-sungu-46081692/

(Also Washington, Utah, Duke, and Northwestern is a intriguing set of offers for a low-ranked player)

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

Elko, yes. Grinch, idk. He's going to have a bit of a down year and passed on Wazzu already. There may not be any better options. I'm trying to imagine where he would end up that would be better than Pullman, but still realistic...Illinois? UCLA? 

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Elko, yes. Grinch, idk. He's going to have a bit of a down year and passed on Wazzu already. There may not be any better options. I'm trying to imagine where he would end up that would be better than Pullman, but still realistic...Illinois? UCLA? 

That was why I've been asking about his HC aspirations because last year was a good year to make that jump. 

USC is probably the biggest job that will open up and while it has it's share of baggage to go along with it, the roster is still super talented and it'd be an easy program to slide into a get wins. I don't think he'd really be a player in their search but who knows. The thing is, it'd be a good fit for Grinch because he seems to be allergic to recruiting so it's built-in recruiting advantages could work in his favor. I don't know that a mid-tier program like Illinois or SCar is going to be the place for a guy who is only barely more engaged and active than Todd Orlando on the trail. 

22 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Narrator:. "It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you, the next head corch of fighting Texas a&m aggy..... Johnny Football". aggy football will reach new high.

No more crystal balls. Crystal meth.

And tatted up strippers from Conroe .

(NTTAWWT)

20191007_000034.jpg

johnnymanziel.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The Safety from Pennsylvania that they think is in the bag just got crystal balled to Florida.  Brewster upped the money bag??

Isn't he one of the guys that Looch has been ranting about being criminally underrated by 247 & Rivals?

On 6/24/2020 at 2:29 PM, golfclap said:

Of course.

My god that was fun. I went to the Texas game in College station that year when their all star dirty player secondary guy assassinated Marty Akins by aiming at his gimpy knee. Ted Constanza couldn't run the bone and down we went.

That was peak Aggie rollercoaster before it had been named. Just beat Arkansas and maybe win the MNC. 

spacer.png

AmpleIdealAmmonite-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

HammLite full Jefferson story 

Navasota offensive lineman Jordan Jefferson was the first commitment in the entire country for the class of 2020.

As just a freshman for the Rattlers, the 6-foot, 285-pound prospect was offered by Texas A&M and committed to the Aggies in early February of 2017. He wanted to play for the school 30 minutes down the road and knew it immediately upon being offered.

Over the next three years, there were coaching changes not just at head coach in Aggieland but also on the offensive line. However, through it all, Jefferson stayed committed to the Maroon and White.

In December, after being committed just shy of three years, the now 6-foot, 320-pound lineman signed with Texas A&M.

An early graduate, Jefferson made his way to College Station in January, enrolling a semester early. He was set to go through spring practice with the team before it was eventually canceled.

However, now it looks like Jefferson's college career is sadly over before it started.

On Thursday, Jefferson tweeted, 'By far one of the hardest decisions I just had to make.'

Sources have told GigEm247 that the incoming freshman has decided to retire from football. Though he has been dealing with injuries and it is likely a medical retirement, we have not completely confirmed that part yet. Jefferson will be allowed to remain on scholarship as a student at Texas A&M but will not count toward the 85-man scholarship limit.

Jefferson, who also played defensive tackle at Navasota, was announced as an offensive limeman when head coach Jimbo Fisher was speaking about the signees at his press conference back in December. However, there was talk that he could eventually move to the defensive side of the ball at some point.

Ranked as a three-star center in the class of 2020, Jefferson was the lowest-rated member of the signing class. He picked up other offers from LSU and Memphis during his high school after committing to A&M. He was part of a full class in Aggieland that used up all of its allowed 25 spots. Texas A&M's class was ranked No. 6 in the national team rankings and had the highest point total of any Aggie class in the modern recruiting rankings era.

Though in-person classes have not returned to campus yet and will not do so until the fall, Texas A&M is currently in the middle of voluntary workouts that have been allowed by the SEC since early this month. According to the NCAA's calendar, the Aggies will be able to begin holding mandatory workouts on July 13. On July 24, the team may begin to hold walk-throughs and meetings with the players and coaching staff. Fall camp is allowed to begin on Aug. 7.

Texas A&M is scheduled to kick off the season on Sat., Sep. 5 at Kyle Field against Abilene Christian.

Reading between the lines, he was asked to “medically” retire to get them under the 85 man limit. He still gets a full scholarship. He wasn’t going to contribute anyway. That doesn’t excuse wasting an initial counter on him. At the same time, trapdooring a local kid before signing day is hard to do too. Maybe JJ hasn’t agreed to do it yet either, so Aggy releasing this info pissed him off. We will see. 

• Like 1

A&M was never close to winning the national championship in 1975. At their peak, they were still behind Ohio State, and then they lost while Ohio State won. That Ohio State went on to blow the Rose Bowl against UCLA doesn't change the fact that A&M still needed to win two games it didn't win-- Arkansas and then a hypothetical bowl game against a presumably even stronger opponent than the mediocre USC team that shut them out in the Liberty Bowl. 

Being #2 in November and finishing with two losses isn't coming close. Coming close is losing a BCS Championship game, or a bowl game where you're already #1, or going into New Year's Day #2, losing your bowl game that day, and then watching the #1 team lose later that night. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

A&M was never close to winning the national championship in 1975. At their peak, they were still behind Ohio State, and then they lost while Ohio State won. That Ohio State went on to blow the Rose Bowl against UCLA doesn't change the fact that A&M still needed to win two games it didn't win-- Arkansas and then a hypothetical bowl game against a presumably even stronger opponent than the mediocre USC team that shut them out in the Liberty Bowl. 

Being #2 in November and finishing with two losses isn't coming close. Coming close is losing a BCS Championship game, or a bowl game where you're already #1, or going into New Year's Day #2, losing your bowl game that day, and then watching the #1 team lose later that night. 

That's the joke. Peak rollercoaster is not peak reality.

They were indeed still in it until the Arkansas game ended. They thought they would go all the way.

I like how the reporter and the outlet blame their sources for "jumping the gun." It's not the source's job to determine credibility and when to release the news. Now Peroni suggests that the situation is weird taking no responsibility.

"I made a mistake" is, ironically, just about impossible for an Aggie to say. 

• Like 1

Brian Dohn (Northeast and now aggy) 247 guy with a CB for Monkell Goodwine to aggy. In the interview yesterday it became clear that a lot of schools, like LSU and OU, are recruiting him to slide inside and play DT with his frame and projected size. Stop me if you've heard this before at aggy he's a DE.  

https://247sports.com/Player/Monkell-Goodwine-46051877/

Aggy going to sign 1 instate player on defense again? glorious. 

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hattersley CBs Malick Sylla to aggy.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.a417b0deba969d6d5cf885a3469c5b94.png

I'm not high on Sylla at all. He's a projectable frame and that's about it. But, Bobby Taylor would be a very good get for them. I'm going to guess that they land both on 8/1, hang on to Sylla through the cycle and lose Taylor sometime next year. 

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm not high on Sylla at all. He's a projectable frame and that's about it. But, Bobby Taylor would be a very good get for them. I'm going to guess that they land both on 8/1, hang on to Sylla through the cycle and lose Taylor sometime next year. 

Bobby Taylor is another FS that they will recruit as a CB. I am not high on him at all and certainly not with a helicopter dad that's going to be a pain in the ass.