Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

First, I thought the aggy football players handled themselves just fine in their encounter with the old ags.  Secondly, even having known aggy all my life, I am astonished at the current level of racism there.  Jawdroppingly grotesque.

It's as if the current, living aggy alums were retrieved from a time capsule from 60-80 years ago.

Edited by cafe society

55 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

KState players are going to sit out until ONE student who tweeted something racist is expelled. Aggy has a whole fucking message board where tens of racists idiots post blatantly racist shit. Nothing. 

SEC SEC SEC

I stopped thinking racism at A&M would help our recruiting decades ago, around the time I learned that "racist ol' t.u." actually worked for A&M

I mean, honestly the complaining from Aggie athletes who could have gone to school somewhere else about Aggie racism is darkly amusing. You knew what the scorpion was when you put it on your shoulder, now you're mad it stung you? Bigotry is bad and shouldn't exist, absolutely, call attention to it and try to change it--- but Jesus Christ A&M didn't just adopt it two weeks ago. It's been a part of that culture forever.  

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I stopped thinking racism at A&M would help our recruiting decades ago, around the time I learned that "racist ol' t.u." actually worked for A&M

I mean, honestly the complaining from Aggie athletes who could have gone to school somewhere else about Aggie racism is darkly amusing. You knew what the scorpion was when you put it on your shoulder, now you're mad it stung you? Bigotry is bad and shouldn't exist, absolutely, call attention to it and try to change it--- but Jesus Christ A&M didn't just adopt it two weeks ago. It's been a part of that culture forever.  

Like the Kow & Kream Klub?  They (aggy) set the bar for racism, but I think you’re right - it does not seem to matter.

Hamm Lite on 6’5” 350 pound FL DT Desmond Watson :: 

He is now officially down to just A&M and Florida. Those had been his top two, but it is now the final two.

Also, he has been adamant that he wants to wait until after his official visits before making a decision. However, he said today that he might move it up a bit if the dead period keeps being extended. Right now, it runs through the end of August. If it is pushed back again, Watson may just make a decision.

Some people think Florida is the likely destination and it will be interesting to see how A&M handles things with Vaka already committed and the Aggies being after Tywone Malone and Taleeq Robbins as well as a number of bigger SDEs.

I'll have a full update in the morning.

https://247sports.com/Player/Desmond-Watson-46050369/

also from that thread :: 

Watson's size is similar to Vaka but A&M has told him he is too athletic to simply play as a nose.

48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Part 4 (Mond is the real racist!)

Reveal hidden contents

EbiYfwsXkAA8zrb?format=png&name=360x360EbiYg1HXsAAnzgs?format=jpg&name=360x360EbiYjOfXQAEGzlT?format=png&name=360x360EbiYkhgWAAMqV9Y?format=jpg&name=360x360

aggy is well practiced at making themselves into the victim in every scenario. This also requires them in this instance of aggy on aggy to construct parameters of a “real” ag that mond falls short of, so that once again its an outsider that is baselessly attacking good old virtuous and pure aggy. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

We've been discussing the senior aggie qb challenge for a few weeks now, and now that the racial issue is really rearing it's head over in BCS, there is a real possibility that Mond will not be the starter by the end of the season. Maybe not even before the season.

With that said, years ago on some previous version of Surly/shaggy/hornfans, I compiled a history of aggie qb's in this century. Not having a clue where to look for it, I decided to make it again, so here you go.

1987 - 1991

Your Holiness, John “Bucky” Powell Richardson – The Patron Saint of aggie football (until Johnny Manziel)

Bucky came off the bench in his freshmen season and beat none other than Brett Favre in Mississippi. Has any sip QB done that? Didn’t think so!  From that win, Bucky went on to start 41 in a row and graduated a hero. Aggies everywhere offer their goats as penance.

1992 – 1995: Corey Pullig

Like Saint Bucky, Pullig wasn’t the announced started in his true freshmen year, but he came off the bench and took the job and never looked back. 40 consecutive starts, and winning nothing due to the fact that they were on probation much of that time.

1996 – 1999: Randy McCown

The last of a dying breed; yet another four year started for the fightin’ Texas aggies. Randy came in during the 8th game of his RS freshmen year and got a win. He didn’t start them all between then and his final game, mostly due to injuries, but he did start the final game of his senior season, which, as we know, is no small feat these days.

Here we go:

2000 – 2002: Mark Farris

Farris cut his illustrious AA baseball career short just have the opportunity to don the marron and white. He came in as a 26 year savior and did not disappoint. He played a few of the games that McCown was injured in 1999 then started every game in the next two seasons.  In 2002, Farris struggled in the first two and was ultimately benched in the second for Dustin Long, and by game three, Slocum was ready to go with the freshmen savior du jour….

2002 – 2005: Reggie “The Real Deal” McNeal, infinitely better than some scrub named Vincent.

Real Deal was able to unseat a 28 year old professional baseball player through shear will and determination and aggie spirit. Unfortunately, he got injured soon thereafter and Dustin Long had to start for a while. Reggie did start all of the games in 2003 and 2004 and was a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brian award.  But then…his senior year arrived. In 2005, Reggie struggled with injuries and competence, which doesn’t bode well for aggie seniors. Especially when one of the most aggie of all aggies, phenom Stephen McGee is waiting in the wings to snatch that job. As it ends, despite being better than Vince Young, Reggie was forced to watch from the bench as Vince Young won at Kyle Field on his way to Pasadena.

2005 – 2008: Stephen McGee

After stealing the job from Reggie McNeal, McGee went on to start every game for the next two years. You would think that a senior coming off of a season where they generated 62% of the team’s offense and had started 25+ in row would be the undisputed starter, but you’d be wrong. McGee had to compete with another QB that was better than Vince Young, Jerrod Johnson, for the starting spot. He barely edged out Johnson for the first game start. McGee struggled in that start and ended up losing it. In game 2, McGee was “injured” and had to relinquish the spot to Johnson until……The final game of the season, against the dreaded sips, McGee was allowed to start.  Much like his previous games, McGee put on a “gritty” performance in the loss, but won the “Aggie Spirit” award at the teams December banquet for being such a good sport about his senior year benching.

2008 – 2010: Jerrod Johnson

In 2009 Johnson beat out the number two best QB on the team so badly that he was removed from the QB room to play WR instead. Johnson proved his chops by starting every one of the games in the 6-6 campaign. 2010 started with Johnson as the preseason Big12 Offensive player of the year, and you won’t believe this, but also as a “dark horse Heisman contender”. Johnson watched the last 5 games of the season from the comfort of the bench as some WR went on to throw for 13 TD’s to go with the 11 TD receptions he had in the first half of the season.

2011: Ryan Tannehill

Coming off the heels of the wildly successful 2010 season where he was able to unseat the amazing Jerrod Johnson as the starter, the former WR was able to something rare for a senior aggie QB this century and he was able to start every game of that senior season.  His career as an aggie ended as Justin Tucker sailed a ball through the uprights at Kyle Field and a huge win over Big10 POWER, Northwestern University in a riveting Texas Bowl matchup.

2012 – 2013: Johnny Football!!

What can I say here? The guy came in with all of the accolades of a three star player that had been arrested for a racist fight before his RS freshmen season. It was such a tizzy that he contemplated leaving when then Coach Sumlin threatened to discipline him. As common sense prevailed, Johnny won the starting spot and went on to really do nothing of real substance that season except for beatin’ bama that one time! And coming in third in his division. For that, Johnny won the Heisman trophy! 2013 came in with John assuredly the favorite to repeat as the Heisman winner and hoist a Natty!! He built on the success of the Heisman by illegally selling autographs to fans and going on cocaine fueled benders to Vegas. This dedication to his craft led to the aggies again finishing third in their division. Unable to cope with the stresses of following NCAA rules and general coaching, Johnny sought the greener pastures of the NFL and made good on his previous tweet promise that stated “I can’t wait to get out of College Station”. I believe that this marks the first senior aggie QB to voluntarily bench himself before his senior campaign.

2014: Kenny “Trill” Hill

After backing up the GOAT in 2012, Trill was ready for his chance to shine.  He came out gunsablazin and whooped South Carolina. He was so exhausted in his effort that he fell asleep on a planter in the famous Northgate district. He continued to shine against some FCS greats but noticeably suffered fatigue once the actual Division 1 games started.  Kenny was ultimately benched for True Freshmen extraordinaire, Kyle Allen. Hill took the benching well and was disciplined by the team and ultimately quit to become a Horned Frog.

2014 – 2015: Kyle Allen

Coming off the successful season and the tremendous effort Allen put up after taking the reins from Kenny Trill, the path to the starting job in 2015 was simple. All Allen had to do was beat aggie legacy, Texas High School Football legend, Native Endorian,  Kyler Murray. Allen won the starting job and then won the first five games of the season.  In the 6th game against Alabama, Allen threw three pick sixes and was suddenly “injured” and had to be replaced by Murray.

2015: Kyler Murray

Murray came in as a projected four year Heisman winner and future NFL Hall of Famer. Once given his shot on the field, Murray was able to show both his penchant for sliding and his thin skin. Though “injured” against Alabama in game 6, suddenly Allen was thrust back into the starting role as Murray struggled. This was the fastest known quitting of a “leader” in aggie school history. Through superior coaching and roster management by Sumlin, both Allen AND Murray left at the end of the 2015 campaign.

2016: Trevor Knight/Jake Hubestank

Knight makes the cut of aggie QB’s that even played in their senior year simply by virtue of all of the other aggie QB’s from the previous year leaving in order to avoid being aggies. Trevor likely would have followed in the footsteps of aggie great, QB>WR>QB, Ryan Tannehill, and been a senior year ONLY started for the ags. Unfortunately, the injury bug struck Trevor and he was replaced by “the Stank” for a few games. Fortunately for Trevor and the LSU Tigers, the injury Gods shined down on Trevor just in time to heal him and get him back into game for a loss to the Tigers late in the 2016 season.

2017 – Present: Kellen Monday

With heavyweights such as Nick Starkel and Jake Hubestank breathing down his neck, Kellen Mond was able to secure the starting QB slot during the 2017 season and has not relinquished it since. Known for consistency and stepping up in big games, Mond expects big things in his upcoming senior season. Barring a racial war on campus or a COVID shutdown, Mond is poised to join the elite club of 20th century aggie qb’s who finish their senior season.

This is outstanding.  I like forward to the Calazada/King/Stowers chapter in a few years.

59 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

We've been discussing the senior aggie qb challenge for a few weeks now, and now that the racial issue is really rearing it's head over in BCS, there is a real possibility that Mond will not be the starter by the end of the season. Maybe not even before the season.

With that said, years ago on some previous version of Surly/shaggy/hornfans, I compiled a history of aggie qb's in this century. Not having a clue where to look for it, I decided to make it again, so here you go.

Bravo, O&W - an instructive, interesting and entertaining read.  Appreciate your putting it together.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, golfclap said:

Hamm Lite on 6’5” 350 pound FL DT Desmond Watson :: 

He is now officially down to just A&M and Florida. Those had been his top two, but it is now the final two.

Also, he has been adamant that he wants to wait until after his official visits before making a decision. However, he said today that he might move it up a bit if the dead period keeps being extended. Right now, it runs through the end of August. If it is pushed back again, Watson may just make a decision.

Some people think Florida is the likely destination and it will be interesting to see how A&M handles things with Vaka already committed and the Aggies being after Tywone Malone and Taleeq Robbins as well as a number of bigger SDEs.

I'll have a full update in the morning.

https://247sports.com/Player/Desmond-Watson-46050369/

also from that thread :: 

Watson's size is similar to Vaka but A&M has told him he is too athletic to simply play as a nose.

I would honestly be shocked if Watson picked Aggy. Armwood has traditionally been a Gator feeder school.

Bryce Foster update

Brian PerroniSTAFF

Posted on 51 mins, V I P, User Since 202 months ago, User Post Count: 0

51 minsVIP

202 months

It's going to take me a while to transcribe, so I will have the full write-up in the morning.

-He still says he plans to take officials to all five of his finalists - A&M, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon and Texas - before making a decision. However, he is also aware that it might not end up happening if the dead period keeps being extended. If that's the case, he has been to every one of those schools at least once, so he could potentially make a decision without the trips.

-He says he is genuinely torn at this point. He and his dad have made a graph on the computer with a whole bunch of different criteria and he ranks them all from 1-10 in those criteria. He updates it every week or two weeks. He says all five schools are neck and neck there. He actually says that he wishes he had a school standing out, to make things easier.

-His mom and brother are Aggies but tell him they support him in whatever he decides. But, he also says they definitely have a favorite school in A&M.

-He has spoken with the track coaches at every school. With A&M, he had a zoom call with Jimbo Fisher, Josh Henson, Pat Henry and throwing coach Juan De La Garza. They spoke about what his schedule would look like and how to best maximize his potential in both sports.

-He knows Reuben Fatheree and says that is a draw to A&M. Also, he says Katy Taylor is known as an 'A&M school' with a bunch of students and football players both ending up in Aggieland. He also has a draw to Texas, though, with teammate Hayden Conner and friend Jalen Milroe committed there as well.

-Out of the head coaches at the five schools, he speaks to Lincoln Riley and Ed Orgeron the most. He says he talks to both of them at least once a week.

13 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Bryce Foster update

Brian PerroniSTAFF

hahhahahhahahahhhahahhah -- That HammLite update is basically just a summary of Drumm's Zoom interview with Foster back on May 27th. Perroni spoke with him at length and got the same exact info? fantastic. 

Spoiler

Liucci

3:02p 

Staff

AG

I think this forum is moving very quickly towards becoming a place you can all come and avoid the politics that are becoming increasingly intertwined with sports. That's not to say discussion of the topics at the intersection of both (the ones that are uncomfortable yet also unavoidable as they do, in fact, have everything to do with your Aggies) won't be allowed but those threads won't ever dominate this forum again in terms of number of posts, just like the Johnny, Longhorn Tears and Co-Vid topics were consolidated and, in one instance, actually moved to its own forum. What I'm also going to make sure doesn't happen is we see threads hijacked that don't have anything to do with the topic. People who are trying to avoid the infighting and heated political debate and rhetoric should never be 'ambushed' into walking into a verbal firefight when they're simply trying to read about A&M sports or whatever the topic led them to believe they were going to discuss. That ends today, as well...as best we can manage it and I will personally go out of my way to make sure it happens.

With that said, who wants a good dose of what they pay for around here? Some great college football conversation and all the latest about Aggie football? Let's treat this as an 'Ask Liucci' but more of 'live chat' format where the focus is 100% on the current football team (and even keep it to just the upcoming season) and the 2021 recruiting race specifically.

Let's roll!

Liucci

In reply to ought1ag •  3:14p 

Staff

AG

ought1ag said:

can you sticky the rain thread at the top in the OB?

edit for a FB question - if you could bring back one player in the past 3 years to play on this years team who would you choose?

Great question. Three years, so Sumlin's last year and Jimbo's first two, eh? Based on the current roster, it would be Erik McCoy. You'd have three senior starters up front plus two first-round talents in Erik and Kenyon Green. Plus you'd have an absolute stud at center who makes everyone around him better and would be an extension of Kellen at QB when it came to reading the defense and changing plays, blocking calls, etc. Not to mention he's a tough guy in the trenches, a warrior and winner.

Liucci

In reply to thelaw4 •  3:19p 

Staff

AG

thelaw4 said:

Anyone standing out at voluntary workouts?

What's going on with Jordan Jefferson?

When do we have to meet the 85 scholarship limit rule? By my count we're still 5 over. 

Jordan is fully intending on reporting to camp and being ready to go. Not sure where all of that stuff stemmed from but he's battled through some injury and is good to go for camp.

Well, the voluntary workouts haven't been too consistent with Co-Vid and only small groups but names that keep popping up of guys folks seem excited about include Myles Jones, Kellen Mond, Haynes King, Cam Buckley, Jhamon Ausbon, Demani Richardson, Antonio Johnson and Jaylon Jones, Moose Muhammad, Chase Lane, DeMarvin Leal, Ainias Smith, Edgerrin Cooper. I'm leaving some off for sure and it's not limited to that group but just rifling off some names that have been mentioned when I've asked in the past couple of weeks.

And though he's not here yet (he'll be here in time for the July 13 return to team action I've been told), LB Antonio Doyle is reportedly up to around 245 rock solid pounds. I think he'll play as a 6-3 (plus), 238-240-lb or so linebacker as a true freshman. He and Cooper are indeed 'SEC Ready.'

Liucci

In reply to Jet Black •  3:20p 

Staff

AG

Jet Black said:

Demas starting by the time we hit sec play?

I could absolutely see it. He's just such a special, special talent. Unmatched athletically. It will all depend on how quickly he picks things up in terms of the offense. If it comes slowly, he's still too talented not to take a couple of shots down the field to per game, work in on some red zone fades/jump balls and also the bubble screen and swing pass game. 

Liucci

In reply to jaborch99 •  3:25p 

Staff

AG

jaborch99 said:

I know that this coaching staff is absolutely amazing at everything that we can see, from recruiting to developing to game day coaching. I also know that part of what creates that greatness is the refusal to be satisfied with where you are at. In your opinion, where does this coaching staff most need to improve? That could be in a specific position group, or in a specific area that the collective group needs to improve upon.

I just think you can always get better in the 'collective' effort of recruiting. What I mean is the coordination behind it all. That's where I'm excited about the addition of Marshall Malchow. Austin Thomas is outstanding and he'll do great things at Baylor but his real strength is as a GM type. With Malchow, he is and has been recruiting specific. He's walked into a brutally tough spot with the Co-Vid shutdown coming just two months into the job but, long-term, I think he'll make a great recruiting operation noticeably more fine-tuned and running like an unstoppable, well-oiled machine where nothing falls through the cracks.

Liucci

In reply to Jet Black •  3:25p 

Staff

AG

Jet Black said:

Are all the 2020 kids on campus except Doyle?

I believe so, yes.

Liucci

In reply to brigand •  3:29p 

Staff

AG

brigand said:

1. Are the coaches specifically targeting a speed WR for the (possible) last spot in 2021 vs. a highly rated possession type WR? 

2. What would be your hypothesis for one change that would best help get our blue chip ratio north of 65% every year?

Good move on refocusing on sports!

1 That would be the apparent goal, yes. Either a blazer or just a wideout who is simply an elite prospect. The Ags have a LOT of young talent at the position so there's not really a point in adding anyone who doesn't either provide something that's missing or there isn't enough of (game-changing speed) or who is a truly gifted playmaker. The bar is going to be set high there.

2 I don't think it takes a hypothesis. The head coach is in place. The facilities are in place. Momentum is in place (assuming A&M can work through current issues). All that's left is to win. Start winning double-digit games and the Aggies under Jimbo Fisher are a true top-10 program and a national title contender out of the SEC.

Liucci

In reply to Gladiator 96 •  3:34p 

Staff

AG

Gladiator 96 said:

Any comments on Johnny's recent interview?

Haven't read it or listened yet but I hear it's very good. We've had some long talks about A&M football, his career, where he's at today and just everywhere he's been at such a young age lately so nothing in there will surprise me. He's figuring it out just like everyone else but his life between 19 and 27 has been like very few during that time in their lives so it really has been fascinating to watch him evolve into who he is today. He's having fun and also in a better place than at any point since I've known him.

Liucci

In reply to CajunAggie •  3:37p 

Staff

AG

CajunAggie said:

When is L. J. Johnson committing?

He doesn't have a specific time frame and right now plans to take a couple of visits but I do think the Ags are still in good shape here and his recruitment is one I plan to keep a close eye on during the later stages of the summer. Like A&M's chances here.

Liucci

In reply to AginCal •  3:39p 

Staff

AG

AginCal said:

I noticed on one of these threads before the Sully bug a boo, that JP Richardson had three leaders. Ok State, TCU and Arkansas?

Any change he gets to show out this fall and earn an offer or has that ship sailed?

Oh I absolutely think the chance is there for him in the fall. Thought he was a prospect who was really hurt because he had an injury that kept him out of camp last summer. At the time, I told Bucky I thought that was no big deal at all. He had a strong junior year and I thought he'd blow up in the spring eval period, with some great times on the track and during the summer camp/7-on-7 circuit. All of that was taken away but he's still got some nice options. Problem is, if the Ags jump in let's say midway through the fall, they haven't been recruiting him nearly as hard as those teams mentioned so there would absolutely be a lot of ground to make up.

Liucci

In reply to agcat •  3:40p 

Staff

AG

agcat said:

When is the NCAA going to allow fall camp to commence for division one teams?

I think you're going to see it commence at the normal scheduled time. We'll see if they are able to commence team workouts and on field stuff on July 13 as currently planned. That is going to depend on where things are at in two weeks in terms of the individual states as far as the pandemic goes.

Liucci

In reply to sloppyjoe •  3:43p 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

I think this forum is moving very quickly towards becoming a place you can all come and avoid the politics that are becoming increasingly intertwined with sports. That's not to say discussion of the topics at the intersection of both (the ones that are uncomfortable yet also unavoidable as they do, in fact, have everything to do with your Aggies) won't be allowed but those threads won't ever dominate this forum again in terms of number of posts, just like the Johnny, Longhorn Tears and Co-Vid topics were consolidated and, in one instance, actually moved to its own forum. What I'm also going to make sure doesn't happen is we see threads hijacked that don't have anything to do with the topic. People who are trying to avoid the infighting and heated political debate and rhetoric should never be 'ambushed' into walking into a verbal firefight when they're simply trying to read about A&M sports or whatever the topic led them to believe they were going to discuss. That ends today, as well...as best we can manage it and I will personally go out of my way to make sure it happens.

With that said, who wants a good dose of what they pay for around here? Some great college football conversation and all the latest about Aggie football? Let's treat this as an 'Ask Liucci' but more of 'live chat' format where the focus is 100% on the current football team (and even keep it to just the upcoming season) and the 2021 recruiting race specifically.

Let's roll!

sloppyjoe said:

Does the current recruiting environment give us an edge with our coaches' ability to evaluate talent and make offers to kids that are a little under the radar as opposed to say texas who's staff has historically seemed to rely on others to help find talent, whether recruiting services or who Jimbo offers? 

I do believe so, yes. Just look at the guys they are looking at out of state. I think this cycle will really expose Texas and Herman when it comes to their (lack of) evaluation skill. Longhorns won't like hearing that today and will challenge it but I've seen it too much under his staff already and a lot of those times it's with guys that the Aggies either passed on altogether or were (and if you follow closely, you know who they are), at best lukewarm on. You won't see it right away because the national services have historically overrated their prospects and continue to do so today but you'll see it as the 2021 class gets into their second and third years on campus or via very early attrition.

Liucci

In reply to AggieDadFM19 •  3:47p 

Staff

AG

AggieDadFM19 said:

What's your honest take on OL improvement this year, and it's impact on Mond's stats? I feel this is a key difference between a good season and a fantastic one...

Totally agree. Think it's the single-biggest key to this team. Look, there are a lot of factors that could lead to improvement but we are all going to have to see it first. Green, Moore, Hocker and McCollum are seniors. They're grown men who have played a lot of football. They've played some good ball, some bad ball and have played healthy and hurt. But they're physically grown men, they have seen it all in terms of the best of the best along the d-line in the SEC trenches and have got to be entering this season with a chip on their individual (and collective) shoulders. It's also year three in the offensive system and year two under a new coach. Don't kid yourself, both the OL and Josh Henson were going through and adjustment period last year, with Henson learning on the fly what Jimbo wanted and learning about the talent, personalities, limitations and strengths of the guys in that room. The linemen were also going through the adjustment of a new set of demands and style of coaching.  

The unit stands to make a pretty significant improvement this year if they can nail down the center the position and get good play there and if Kenyon Green makes the jump that everyone believes he will.

Liucci

In reply to jefftip •  3:48p 

Staff

AG

jefftip said:

I saw King and Raikes the other day at Bright. King is def big enough to play now and Raikes looks big enough for the NFL

Raikes is an absolute beast and moves like very few can at his size (330ish). He's rare in that regard. King has already gained close to 15 pounds of muscle since arriving in January and looks like a different kid.

Liucci

In reply to Grown Pear •  3:50p 

Staff

AG

Grown Pear said:

What offensive "line-up" (or two) are you most excited about having on the field at the same time?

Assuming Mond + 5 OL leaves you with 5 "skill" position weapons to choose

I think I may be most excited about Ausbon, Demas, Wydermyer, Ainias and Isaiah if they ever go that route.

So many intriguing and incredibly exciting options though. So much versatility this year with the Ags' skill set.

Liucci

In reply to GodsPlan9618 •  3:51p 

Staff

AG

KentuckyAg2 said:

Thanks Billy!! More catches...Demas or Preston, Lane, & Wright (combined)??

GodsPlan9618 said:

None of them drop balls so I guess it depends on how many targets each gets.

Don't forget guys like Caleb Chapman and Kam Brown, either. Chap was having a very good off-season and Brown was putting in great work in the weight room and can run much better than I think most fans realize. He's as smooth as they come out there and going to factor in, as well.

Liucci

In reply to etxag18 •  3:53p 

Staff

AG

etxag18 said:

Outside of Demas which freshman will have the biggest impact this year?

I think that's going to be Jaylon Jones. Like Leal the year before, he has a very real chance to start as a true freshman and is a legitimate five-star difference-maker.  

He's cut from the Leal/Green/Garrett/Kirk mold in that there's little to no doubt he's going to be a star and that's been the case from the day he stepped foot on campus as an early enrollee.

Liucci

In reply to mccag •  3:53p 

Staff

AG

mccag said:

You can't be talking about sports on this site these days! 

Thanks Billy

Yes you can and yes we will!

Liucci

In reply to Tylerjo97 •  3:55p 

Staff

AG

Tylerjo97 said:

Are team activities going to start as scheduled?

I'm starting to feel like that's wishful thinking but still hopeful. Hearing from the capital (for whatever that's worth these days) that they're expecting this current surge to begin to wane and taper off over the next couple of weeks ("mid July") so we shall see.

Liucci

In reply to 12thmnfromflotown •  3:57p 

Staff

AG

12thmnfromflotown said:

I saw the ranking the other day listing carson green in the top 5 returning tackles in the SEC. Do you think that means he mans the left tackle and kenyon goes to the right? or will kenyon go left and carson to the right?

I don't think it means either. First of all, I love Cole (and will actually be on his show tomorrow) but his OL rankings will have nothing to do with how Fisher and Henson field their 2020 OL. Second, I've stated before that I think Kenyon slides out to tackle as a junior and, if he doesn't leave early as a high-round NFL pick, a senior. This year, the plan is absolutely to leave Green and Moore at tackle with Kenyon at guard.

Liucci

In reply to wcrew93 •  3:58p 

Staff

AG

wcrew93 said:

Other than Mond, what player's performance this year will be the most important to the Aggies' success?

I think Kellen's performance is No. 1 and the OL's is No. 1A. Defensively, I think it's the back end that could push this team over the top. If the secondary makes a big jump (which is entirely possible), then that A&M defense could be VERY good.

Liucci

In reply to Sweet Kitten Feet •  4:01p 

Staff

AG

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Calzada a lock for the backup QB spot, or will there be a competition there?

Nowhere close to being a lock. Not sure why that narrative is out there but it's insanely premature. Now, I absolutely think Zach has a leg up and I'm still convinced he's got a great chance to be the Ags' next starter at Mond but he was in no way ready to play last year. This spring would have been a terrific gauge of his progress. It also would have been pretty important for Haynes King. IMO, that battle will be a very competitive one in August so to say Zach - who has an unbelievable arm and throws an absolutely beautiful ball - is a lock to nail it down isn't accurate at all. He'll be pushed in a big way, which will be good for him, Haynes and James Foster.

Liucci

In reply to cageybee77 •  4:04p 

Staff

AG

cageybee77 said:

Which of the "preseason" or non-conf games will be most interesting to you (and why)

Tough to pick one but I'll go with Colorado. The Buffs lost a lot but bring back some players on D and Mel Tucker left some underrated talent on campus in the young classes so they'll have some guys emerge we haven't heard much about yet. North Texas loses their star QB but they're well-coached also and Fresno is always a tough-minded group. However, the only real issue I see the Aggies having is flat out overlooking one of those foes early...especially without being a well-oiled machine after so much time off. That will be a great equalizer. I think the Ags go 4-0 in the non-con but maybe not looking nearly like team they will eventually become along the way.

Liucci

4:05p 

Staff

AG

Okay, going to lock this for a minute while I catch up with the questions and do a couple of things around the casa.

You know, for a group that ran away, they sure are still eaten up with everything Longhorn.  Such bitterness.  Lulz.

sloppyjoe said:

Does the current recruiting environment give us an edge with our coaches' ability to evaluate talent and make offers to kids that are a little under the radar as opposed to say texas who's staff has historically seemed to rely on others to help find talent, whether recruiting services or who Jimbo offers? 

I do believe so, yes. Just look at the guys they are looking at out of state. I think this cycle will really expose Texas and Herman when it comes to their (lack of) evaluation skill. Longhorns won't like hearing that today and will challenge it but I've seen it too much under his staff already and a lot of those times it's with guys that the Aggies either passed on altogether or were (and if you follow closely, you know who they are), at best lukewarm on. You won't see it right away because the national services have historically overrated their prospects and continue to do so today but you'll see it as the 2021 class gets into their second and third years on campus or via very early attrition.

• Haha 1

I know that this coaching staff is absolutely amazing at everything that we can see, from recruiting to developing to game day coaching. I also know that part of what creates that greatness is the refusal to be satisfied with where you are at. In your opinion, where does this coaching staff most need to improve?

hahahahaha 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I know that this coaching staff is absolutely amazing at everything that we can see, from recruiting to developing to game day coaching. I also know that part of what creates that greatness is the refusal to be satisfied with where you are at. In your opinion, where does this coaching staff most need to improve?

hahahahaha 

spacer.png

• Like 1