Gyros

jimmyjazz

Any good gyros in town?  I've been to Sarah's plenty, mostly because it's convenient, but the lack of a visible spit is concerning.  Add in the fact that their freezer, which is open for customer shopping, contains boxes of "gyro meat" and I'm pretty much thinking whatever they're serving wasn't cooked anywhere near Austin.

Pars has had an ownership change -- I haven't been there since.

I'm highly skeptical of places like Tino's.

Where's the real deal, along with other Mediterranean or Middle Eastern food?

12 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Halal Bros on the Drag is my current favorite (not Halal Guys; it closed). Little Greek in Lakeway if you’re out that way. 

Little Greek & CAVA both appear to be chains, which raises a flag (for no particularly justifiable reason).

I looked up Halal Brothers -- turns out they have a location about 3 blocks from work.  Thanks!

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Little Greek & CAVA both appear to be chains, which raises a flag (for no particularly justifiable reason).

I looked up Halal Brothers -- turns out they have a location about 3 blocks from work.  Thanks!

CAVA is like a slightly higher quality mediterranean version of Chipotle.  bowls are better than the gyros.  YMMV

been a couple years since I had an office out in Bee Cave/Lakeway,  been i hit little greek often and thought it was solid for what it was (especially for greek salad, which ... isn't what you asked about)

mmm milto's gryo (soon to be RIP).  probably more nostalgia than "real deal"

there's a new mediterranean place next to the courthouse i've been meaning to try but haven't gotten in to yet

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great stuff . . . I'll try Mediterranean Chef and Santorini for sure, along with the previously mentioned Halal Brothers.

Good friend of mine is a chef, and Santorini is the only Greek food he'll eat in town, now. Nice space, fantastic owners, great food at good prices. Nice patio before the weather gets too hot, also.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, futureman said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Makes me want to punch my monitor.

Gyros should be made with pork, not the lamb-beef processed loaf nonsense.

Tacos al pastor and Gyros are basically the same thing. Shawarma and Doner the same, adjusted for Mohammedan dietary restrictions. 

I like some lamb-beef mix, but this is what El Greco did particularly right before distractions took over. Pork gyros.  

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Makes me want to punch my monitor.

Gyros should be made with pork, not the lamb-beef processed loaf nonsense.

Tacos al pastor and Gyros are basically the same thing. Shawarma and Doner the same, adjusted for Mohammedan dietary restrictions. 

I like some lamb-beef mix, but this is what El Greco did particularly right before distractions took over. Pork gyros.  

pork gyros?  I thought real gyros were just all lamb, no beef. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Jack Straw said:

CAVA is like a slightly higher quality mediterranean version of Chipotle.  bowls are better than the gyros.  YMMV

Just had CAVA for the first time.  The "Mediterranean Chipotle" is a good label, but hopefully without the e coli.  It's no Athenian Grill (RIP), but overall it was tasty and healthy.  It's nice to have a decent Mediterranean option an easy walk from my office. 

On 3/26/2019 at 9:58 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Little Greek is solid. Good falafel, good not great gyros, pretty bomb french fries. Cheap, too. 

Have only ate in Dallas but I would assume it can't be that much different in Austin. 

And I don't think a gyro place being a chain should really raise any flags. Not in Austin, at least. 

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Tino's is a chain and it's pretty meh.

I mean... that's kind of my point. It's pretty meh but it's been around Austin for 16 years and has 5 locations. 

Little Greek isn't going to blow you away but it's a larger, more successful chain that has already done very well in a more competitive market in Texas. It's worth the 10 bucks if you're in the neighborhood and looking to try different places in Austin. 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:52 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Any good gyros in town?  I've been to Sarah's plenty, mostly because it's convenient, but the lack of a visible spit is concerning.  Add in the fact that their freezer, which is open for customer shopping, contains boxes of "gyro meat" and I'm pretty much thinking whatever they're serving wasn't cooked anywhere near Austin.

Pars has had an ownership change -- I haven't been there since.

I'm highly skeptical of places like Tino's.

Where's the real deal, along with other Mediterranean or Middle Eastern food?

I went to Greece when I was 13.  On top of the historical significance  and some hot chics with hairy armpits ( it was the 80's and alot of Eastern Europeans  and Russians visiting)  but topless at the beaches,   Gyros were my to go to food over there since I wasn't big on seafood back then as I am now.   There was a pretty cool little hole in wall  near the place we were staying at that I frequented with relatives.   I seem to recall lamb was the meat of choice at this place and others.    Lamb, something like a sour cream and  diced tomato on a flat bread and boom!

Pork gyros. Gotta say that’s news to me, but I’ve never been to the Med, so what do I know.

We did try a new place just this weekend - Kabobzi on north Burnet, strip center behind the Domain. Pretty tasty, pretty similar to Halal Bros type of stuff. Meat and rice plates, really good and huge gyros and shawarma. We’ll hit it again when in the area.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Santorini's is still chugging along during this time of crisis. 

I live pretty close to there right now. Was wondering if it's good.

Nevermind. Cheaper than I thought.

Edited by ztejas

• 3 months later...

She is awesome^

Has been giving out an order of Greek beignets with every order that are pretty tasty. Their pizzas are really good, too. Doing my best to keep them afloat myself but I could still stand to eat there more often.

There's also a cute girl that works there that I've been trying to bump into again. 

• Hook 'Em 1