Bruce Lee. He was kinda good.

crash_davis

2 hours ago, TexTexTex said:

I have a real tough time thinking that Ali would lose to Bruce Lee in any form of fighting.

in an mma cage I may give it to cassius.  out in the open, lee all day. 

edit: I take it all back.  even in the cage bruce would just do the little shit like rip ali’s ear off, gouge his eyes, nut kicks, all the pressure points and submissions he was familiar with... bruce would kill him.  what is clay gonna do to beat him?  lee is faster and quicker, can stay away and dodge, somehow get behind him, jump on his back, fish-hook him with one hand and rip off an ear with the other, etc

Edited by futureman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Excellent book. If anyone can find the original version, with no picture, check it out. They are VERY valuable. I had a chance to buy one in the early 80's?, but figured  $80 was ridiculous.  I'm still kicking myself in the ass.

I believe it was Dan Inosanta, one of his students who continued on after Lee's death said the only flaw with Jeet Kune Do was that it was developed by a man (Lee) whose physical gifts were unmatched. He said that factor alone made it impossible to achieve the same level of efficiency.

Yeah it was unfinished at the time of his death, lots of cool illustrations. 

The faint mastery was very interesting, because Lee hardly used it, but I'm sure when he did he had guys jumpin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TexTexTex said:

I have a real tough time thinking that Ali would lose to Bruce Lee in any form of fighting.

Only with the pillows on his hands and no kicking allowed would Ali have a chance. All the height, reach, weight advantage in the world doesn't help when Lee can take out the knee with a low sidekick.

5 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Your grandma's a vegetable

she lives in a hospital

I'd do most anything to keep her alive

she had a tracheotomy

that's an extra hole for me!

I'd do most anything to keep her alive

She has an iron lung

i still think she’s lots of fun

and I’d do anything to keep her alive

she has just one kidney

the other one she gave to me

and I’d do anything to keep her alive. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zavala said:

Only with the pillows on his hands and no kicking allowed would Ali have a chance. All the height, reach, weight advantage in the world doesn't help when Lee can take out the knee with a low sidekick.

and this is a guy who posts in the MMA thread.  you know weight classes exist for a reason. 

I've long been of the opinion that Lee was destined for greatness by virtue of being named "Bruce". Can you imagine growing up Asian with that name? It's like being an American boy named "Sue". 

"Ha-ha! You father name you Broof. Broof Ree. What you gonna do rittle man?"

Rest is history.

8 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Just did some reading on Frank Dux.  I had no idea his life and career were steeped in such controversy. 

Lots of folks calling him a liar, accusing him of stolen valor over his military claims etc.

dude, he was a legend.  can you tell me anyone else who has a career fight record of 329-0?  it’s a trick question because you can’t!

33 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I've long been of the opinion that Lee was destined for greatness by virtue of being named "Bruce". Can you imagine growing up Asian with that name? It's like being an American boy named "Sue". 

"Ha-ha! You father name you Broof. Broof Ree. What you gonna do rittle man?"

Rest is history.

Lee Jun-Fan...real name

17 hours ago, TexTexTex said:

Yeah Lee could beat Ali through multiple shots, and if Ali landed a solid punch he'd probably take Lee out.  

I'm not sure Ali could get a solid punch in on Lee though.  I'm also not sure I've ever seen anyone as fast as Lee other than maybe Sugar Ray Leonard.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CSB - Bruce Lee (along with Brandon) is buried about 50 yards from our family plot in Seattle's Lake View Cemetery. The cemetery still has little maps in their office showing you where his grave is; when I was making arrangements for my Mom's burial a couple of years ago, five or six different people stopped in to find out where he was buried. 

My guess is he still kicked all of their asses.

Edited by flatdawgs

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

just curious, but do you happen to know the story of why they are buried there? Wasn't Bruce from San Francisco? I guess his widow lived there maybe? What a sad thing being the wife and mother of men who died so young.

First place he came when he moved here from Hong Kong, and where his wife was from.

As a student of the arts, and a former practitioner of Wing Chun Kung Fu(Bruce Lee's base martial art), Bruce Lee's speed was amazing. Every person around him would tell you that. He also was doing cutting edge things to increase it like electrotherapy. If you look at his workout regiment, there is no doubt in my mind that he was one of the fastest to do it. Multiple directors said they had to ask him to slow down his movements so the camera could pick it up. Most people don't know that Bruce also practiced grappling. Ali was the greatest boxer to ever do it, but Bruce would fuck him up in a no holds barred.

5 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

just curious, but do you happen to know the story of why they are buried there? Wasn't Bruce from San Francisco? I guess his widow lived there maybe? What a sad thing being the wife and mother of men who died so young.

He moved to Seattle from SF to finish high school, attended the UW, met and married his wife, and started his martial arts career (and studio) here.  I remember at a retrospective about his life at one of the Asian museums, there were letters describing how he loved the place and how the water reminded him of fishing with his dad in Hong Kong when he was small. His wife said it was the place they felt most at home. 

Not sure about Brandon, who was born after they left, but his mother and fiancée wanted him buried in their family plot and he was flown here from where he died in NC.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:35 PM, Thatguy said:

As a student of the arts, and a former practitioner of Wing Chun Kung Fu(Bruce Lee's base martial art), Bruce Lee's speed was amazing. Every person around him would tell you that. He also was doing cutting edge things to increase it like electrotherapy. If you look at his workout regiment, there is no doubt in my mind that he was one of the fastest to do it. Multiple directors said they had to ask him to slow down his movements so the camera could pick it up. Most people don't know that Bruce also practiced grappling. Ali was the greatest boxer to ever do it, but Bruce would fuck him up in a no holds barred.

you should probably pick a fight with a beginner boxer with a 7 inch and 70 pound advantage on you.  id love to see the outcome of that.

4 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Bruce Lee ain't dead you know. They got him krytonized down in Chatsworth, he's jammed in a silo and he's frozen hard as a carp . And they're gonna melt him down as soon as the economy gets better.

Teddy ballgame Williams head on Bruces body ?!    .400 hitter all day long.