What Was The First Ever Album You Bought on Your Own?

Vic Mackey

Not gifted to you or a hand me down. The first album you bought with your own money. Mine was when I was almost 15. Had to have my aunt with me because they wouldn't sell it to me with that parental advisory sticker on it at my age. Bought this solely based on hearing Back That Azz Up about a month earlier on the radio and then seeing the music video.

400degreez.jpg

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Can't say it was my own money, but the first album I recall of music that wasn't Disney storytelling.

convoy.jpg?w=350&h=350&crop=1

My friends and I used to call 55 KTSA in San Antonio every hour on the hour for about a month to request Convoy.  Couldn't get enough of those 7 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse Microbus.

• Like 3

Oh, and as to the OP, well...
lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691735
Timeless classic. I never get tired of hearing this album. First heard it when I was about 10 or 11. The babysitter I stayed with after school, her husband loved Boston and would always play their albums. Their second two after this had some solid tracks but it didn't compare to this one

Honestly, it was probably a Muppets or Alvin and the Chipmunks record I would've bought with Christmas or birthday money. I used to listen to the Muppet Musicians of Bremen 24/7 when I was around 5 or 6. 

The first rock album I bought was Men at Work's Business as Usual. Man, I used to love Who Can It Be Now?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Allowance money.

R-1442957-1220094614.jpeg.jpg

This was my first CD.  Well after it was released as an LP, of course, but by then Rush had become one of my favorite bands and I couldn't think of a better way to break in my brand new CD player.  

8 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Honestly, it was probably a Muppets or Alvin and the Chipmunks record I would've bought with Christmas or birthday money. I used to listen to the Muppet Musicians of Bremen 24/7 when I was around 5 or 6. 

The first rock album I bought was Men at Work's Business as Usual. Man, I used to love Who Can It Be Now?

Yeah, my first record was probably a Disney story telling thing that came with a book.  This is the first one I remember actually purchasing, but it was with money from the folks at Scholastic Book Fair:

s-l400.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Not in a looooooong time.  But I was just trying to explain to Chad Jr. (6) what records are, so this thread has reminded me to drag it back out and blow the dust off it.  Thanks for that.

Vinyl seems to have made a come back. They sell it at Best Buy as well as record players. Funny that this is the only medium of music they sell these days. They did away with selling cd's, as did other stores. There's a bar in Deep Ellum Dallas called OTR that has tons of vinyl for sell. Hipsters love vinyl.

My parents still have all their vinyl from their younger days. Shit from the 60s-80s. A buddy of mine loves vinly and this is preferred method of listening to music. Says it's the most organic way and you hear everything in the records. Nothing is compressed.

9 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

My brother's first record, also still in his collection:

220px-Urban_Chipmunk_Cover.jpg

In the early 80s, Alvin and his bros put out a number of albums like this. There was Urban Chipmunk, Chipmunk Rock, Chipmunk Punk and the Chipmunk's All Time Top 20 Golden Greats. I had every single one. I was a member of the fan club too. Framed my membership certificate and wore my Alvin pin on my shirt every day. 

Chipmunk Punk had a Billy Joel song and Refugee by Tom Petty on it. Very loose ties to Punk music. 

Sorry for the tread diversion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

My parents still have all their vinyl from their younger days. Shit from the 60s-80s. A buddy of mine loves vinly and this is preferred method of listening to music. Says it's the most organic way and you hear everything in the records. Nothing is compressed.

I still have most of mine. Every now and then I pull it out and realize what a tremendous pain in the ass it is to flip albums and all the pops/skips. 

Vinyl never went away for me, though I know it is going through a renaissance of sorts.  I have a pretty substantial collection.  It's just far away (physically) from anything Chad Jr. has an interest in seeing.  So far as he knows, music comes from an iPhone upon request.  

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I still have most of mine. Every now and then I pull it out and realize what a tremendous pain in the ass it is to flip albums and all the pops/skips. 

I don't have any experience playing vinyl at all. Never owned any personally or had a record player. Are you able to to skip tracks?

In the early 80s, Alvin and his bros put out a number of albums like this. There was Urban Chipmunk, Chipmunk Rock, Chipmunk Punk and the Chipmunk's All Time Top 20 Golden Greats. I had every single one. I was a member of the fan club too. Framed my membership certificate and wore my Alvin pin on my shirt every day. 
Chipmunk Punk had a Billy Joel song and Refugee by Tom Petty on it. Very loose ties to Punk music. 
Sorry for the tread diversion. 

I wore out some Chipmunk vinyl in the late 80’s. Granted I was 3-4 years old and hadn’t chosen it myself.

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

A good needle solves the skipping issues and I enjoy the occasional pop. Records are how music is supposed to sound, IMHO. I love listening to records still and I enjoy going to the record store. There's always cool shit in there. 

• Like 1

I still have all of my vinyl from the 80s.  I also have a Garrard 401 turntable that was my dad's, and had it tucked away for the past two decades or so.  Then my wife decided she really wanted to listen to vinyl again, so I brought it out, cleaned it up, and hooked it up to my amp.  It's fun for the sake of nostalgia, but I can't say I really miss the activities associated with listening to LP records.  Digital music is much easier to play, and obtain.  

I also don't really mind the loss of the "album format" because for every great wall-to-wall record like Boston's original album, or The Cars The Cars, there are dozens of crappy records where the record label only allowed the band to put a couple of good songs and the rest was just filler.

Edited by utee94

I miss the local CD Warehouse. I found so many gems in there in their used albums section. People brought all kinds of albums in there to trade in. You never knew what you would find. I was in there every week. The malls all had a record store and sometimes two. Sam Goody was a big one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I miss the local CD Warehouse. I found so many gems in there in their used albums section. People brought all kinds of albums in there to trade in. You never knew what you would find. I was in there every week. The malls all had a record store and sometimes two. Sam Goody was a big one. 

Yup.   I spent plenty of money at the "Sound Warehouse" on the corner of Burnet and 49th.  Hastings Records was usually the one in the mall. It was more expensive, but before I had a car, Northcross Mall was the only place I could get to easily on bike, so I spent a lot of money at the Hastings Records in there.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I still have all of my vinyl from the 80s.  I also have a Garrard 401 turntable that was my dad's, and had it tucked away for the past two decades or so.  Then my wife decided she really wanted to listen to vinyl again, so I brought it out, cleaned it up, and hooked it up to my amp.  It's fun for the sake of nostalgia, but I can't say I really miss the activities associated with listening to LP records.  Digital music is much easier to play, and obtain.  

I also don't really mind the loss of the "album format" because for every great wall-to-wall record like Boston's original album, or The Cars The Cars, there are dozens of crappy records where the record label only allowed the band to put a couple of good songs and the rest was just filler.

This is 100% fair.  I do miss having an hour to just sit and listen to a record in full though.  That's the part that really doesn't exist for me now.  So I'll just keep those LPs around until retirement (chuckles) or until I die and Chad Jr. chucks them all in the Mr. Fusion...

60d5355e-7782-11e5-a554-12771640ddce.gif

• Like 1