What Was The First Ever Album You Bought on Your Own?

Vic Mackey

17 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Around The World With Three Dog Night.  Double Live album.  I was 11.  I heard "Black and White" while we were rummaging through a friends older sister's albums.  

Three_Dog_Night_-_Around_the_World_With_

This wasn't my first, but damn what an awesome album.  Great version of Eli's Coming.

• Like 1

I think it was this. And I feel bad for kids today not getting the pleasure of buying a CD with the stupid long ass boxes. 
220px-GnR--UseYourIllusion1.jpg
I feel sorry for kids today not knowing the excitement and anticipation of buying an album and going home to play it. Unwrapping the plastic and opening it up to take the disc it out. Everything is digital and streaming. Just clicks of a mouse or tapping on your phone screen and boom, you have the album. Then again, most young kids don't even really care about full albums. It's all about singular songs and playlists for them.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
18 hours ago, shnsajax said:
I think it was this. And I feel bad for kids today not getting the pleasure of buying a CD with the stupid long ass boxes. 

Read more  

I feel sorry for kids today not knowing the excitement and anticipation of buying an album and going home to play it. Unwrapping the plastic and opening it up to take the disc it out. Everything is digital and streaming. Just clicks of a mouse or tapping on your phone screen and boom, you have the album. Then again, most young kids don't even really care about full albums. It's all about singular songs and playlists for them.

Agree, and for a while I lamented this.  But really, the "album era" was a relatively short period of time in popular music.  Singles were the standard until the 60s.  And they started becoming the standard once again in the late 90s/early 2000s when downloading and/or streaming music became so quick and convenient.  So really, less than half of the lifespan of popular, recorded music (either for personal play or through radio airplay), was spent in the album era.

And like I said earlier, for every great Boston or The Cars The Cars or Led Zeppelin IV, there were dozens-- actually hundreds-- of total crap albums with maybe two good songs on them, because the record labels were forcing bands to throw in a bunch of filler.  Recognizing this, many of us from the era became "kings of the mixed tape" because we were already creating playlists and cutting out the crap.  Only difference is, we were still paying for the whole album, just to boil it down to  a couple great songs and then move on to the next one.  After overpaying for albums for way too long, that made me sick and even as an album-era kid, ultimately I was really happy with the ability to pick and choose which songs I wanted to download/stream.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
18 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Read more  

I would agree aside from the unwrapping the cellophane off a CD or cassette. That shit was wrapped tighter than a virgin on prom night. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, Rip76 said:

Man this album has so many memories for me.

It was release just before Hurricane Alicia, right in the height of my BMX days.  

Cool.

I also recently picked this up on vinyl at my local Josey Records. It was an odd "full-circle" feeling... :)

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Agree, and for a while I lamented this.  But really, the "album era" was a relatively short period of time in popular music.  Singles were the standard until the 60s.  And they started becoming the standard once again in the late 90s/early 2000s when downloading and/or streaming music became so quick and convenient.  So really, less than half of the lifespan of popular, recorded music (either for personal play or through radio airplay), was spent in the album era.

And like I said earlier, for every great Boston or The Cars The Cars or Led Zeppelin IV, there were dozens-- actually hundreds-- of total crap albums with maybe two good songs on them, because the record labels were forcing bands to throw in a bunch of filler.  Recognizing this, many of us from the era became "kings of the mixed tape" because we were already creating playlists and cutting out the crap.  Only difference is, we were still paying for the whole album, just to boil it down to  a couple great songs and then move on to the next one.  After overpaying for albums for way too long, that made me sick and even as an album-era kid, ultimately I was really happy with the ability to pick and choose which songs I wanted to download/stream.  

But, the other side of that were the bands that put out incredible works of art. Art in which the packaging played an integral part of the artistic process.

The infrared pyramid poster included with Dark Side and the candy included in Wish you Were Here are just two great examples that perfectly demonstrate that they were great not only for the brilliance of the music. But how Floyd worked with hypnosis to create those posters in Dark, and the postcard, flaming man, etc on Wish. 

Same with Yes. Roger Deans art work made Yessongs and Tales From Topographic Oceans damn near a religious experience. He created an entire fucking world through a medium that added a visual experience that complimented the extreme complexity of the music itself.

Reading the lyrics, seeing the photographs and reading line by line credits about who did what, and hanging a poster made the experience far more personal then simply downloading a song. 

So yeah, there was shit. But, buying the right album made for a hell of a nice day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

I was 8, and it was on CD. "You Give Love a Bad Name" was my favorite song from like ages 7-10 or something.

My nostalgia kicks in every once in a while, and I'll listen to the whole thing. I still like them. d625366632bab0c67aa13143415305c2.jpg

Bon Jovi was first concert I ever went to. I was 13ish. "It's My Life" had just come out and I was otherwise completely unfamiliar with Bon Jovi and their catalog. Friend invited me.

It. Was. Awesome -- I'll always be a fan

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 12:14 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

I have a very strong memory of this... bought this tape at K-mart with my own little 9-year-old money...

R-442490-1332561915.jpeg.jpg

My buddy and I cut class on a lot of Tuesdays to go see what new albums were released.  When this was announced, we were at the record store when it opened.  Each bought the album....different covers though.  Stopped at the store to buy beer, then to my weed guy, then to my apartment.  We listened to that album all day long.  One of the best days of my life.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, drifter379 said:

I don’t remember which was first but these were these were in heavy rotation when I was 8.

Colorado Kool-aid was the shit.

Ace singing 2000 man was my favorite on this one.

0c89f68b3ab53ad603eccc50f06ff660.jpg
And they were played on this.

That's fuckin' awesome.  Please tell me you still have it. 

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

220px-Kneedeep2.jpg
or
518+on46w-L._SX466_.jpg
Pos rep for Geneis. According to my parents Phil Collins was the first musical artist I could identify by name when I heard his songs. They say I was 4 the first time I heard his voice and said, "that's Phil Collins." I'm going to see him in Dallas in Sept.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:08 AM, Whatever said:

I was 8, and it was on CD. "You Give Love a Bad Name" was my favorite song from like ages 7-10 or something.

My nostalgia kicks in every once in a while, and I'll listen to the whole thing. I still like them. d625366632bab0c67aa13143415305c2.jpg

If you don’t like that album, you don’t like America.

• Like 1