2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

re: rendon, i think morosi was just trying to stir something up because rendon hasn't reupped with wash and he's from houston.  i wouldn't read more into it.  i don't think he cited sources inside the org or reports coming from our beat guys.  i wouldn't take it as a signal that one of our injuries is super-serious.

Yeah, Washington is only 6.5 games out (after weathering injuries to Turner, Soto, etc.) and they still have a lot of good pieces on the roster. If they hang around with a reasonable shot at the postseason, I don't see them trading Rendon in July. 

21 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Through 18 rounds, the Astros have drafted 2 high schoolers. Scouting and analytics  have figured something out

Historically I haven't followed the draft crazy close. Were they previously known for going heavy on high schoolers? 

I love the way this team is playing/winning lately.
Good “old fashioned” baseball, finding ways to scratch out runs, not relying on HR ball.

On the season, we’re averaging 1.6 HRs per game.
Going back to the beginning of Red Sox series (game Springer was injured) it’s 0.9.
In those 11 games, they’ve had 10 HRs; 7 solo and 3 2-run.

I’m willing to bet the 58 strikeouts are also the fewest in the league over that stretch (and 38 walks).

We’ve only had 18 strikeouts during the current 5 game winning streak (45 innings).

It’s like we’re trying to intentionally put the ball in play against the worst defense in the game.

48 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Historically I haven't followed the draft crazy close. Were they previously known for going heavy on high schoolers? 

IDK. Historically, high school draft picks range between 25-30% of players taken for the entire league. Here's an demographic breakdown of last year's draft

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/numbers-game-draft-demographics/

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yeah, but he'll always have that double in his debut and that awesome defensive play to save a run. That's more than most. 

" yeah I was in the show for 21 days once. the 21 greatest days of my life. you know, you never handle your luggage in the show, everyone else carries your bags. you hit white balls for bating practice...the ballparks are like cathedrals. the hotels all have room service and the women all have long legs and brains"      

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, Washington is only 6.5 games out (after weathering injuries to Turner, Soto, etc.) and they still have a lot of good pieces on the roster. If they hang around with a reasonable shot at the postseason, I don't see them trading Rendon in July. 

Washington's bullpen is legitimately hot garbage. The need to figure out if they are buyers or sellers, because they need to buy a complete new bullpen. Case in point, their bullpen blew another save today, before recovering to win the game.

Edited by HtownHorn

32 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Washington's bullpen is legitimately hot garbage. The need to figure out if they are buyers or sellers, because they need to buy a complete new bullpen. Case in point, their bullpen blew another save today, before recovering to win the game.

Oh it is...but I could see them adding (bullpen pieces) rather than subtracting (trading Rendon) if they are within striking distance of a playoff spot near the end of next month. 

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Through 18 rounds, the Astros have drafted 2 high schoolers. Scouting and analytics  have figured something out

After reading the nerd article a few pages back it made me think to myself that we would target college players. With the focus on the high tech recording devices, they have many more opportunities to gather data on college vs High School. I believe it is simply the information game. More statistics on spin rate etc than a high school kid. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

i just read that washington is now on a 4 game winning streak, their longest of the season.

that's adorable.

26 minutes ago, DallasGatr said:

I seem to recall the Cards being deep into drafting college types when Lunhow was there. Could be wrong of course.

They did. Their playoff teams were built on college drafted players.

Craig, Carpenter, Adams, Lynn, Wacha, Jay, Descalso, Wong, Maness

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Myles Straw vs. Eric Yelding/Gerald Young/James Mouton/Brian Hunter, discuss.

Willie "Mays" Hayes wasn't just a fictional movie character, but a stereotype. Too many players with a ton of speed prefer to hit the ball in the air rather than utilize their speed to its fullest advantage. Not all of those players had the "runs like Mays, but hits like shit" problem, but some of them did. The passage of time and my faulty memory prevent me from naming names.

I hope Straw doesn't fall into that category, but a quote from this week concerns me.

Someone asked postgame why he doesn't bunt more. His response was something like "People have always been telling me I should work on bunting more. I don't know why but I just haven't worked on it much." 

I hope I'm wrong, but that immediately got me to wondering about how coachable he is. Anyone who sees his speed automatically assumes he should take advantage of it by bunting to get on base. I would imagine that every manager from little league, high school, college, and each level of the minors saw that potential....and yet Straw says he hasn't worked much on bunting.

Yes, I know bunting isn't as prevalent as it used to be and isn't worked on as much. And yes, I know I am probably reading way too much into one postgame quote.

Willie "Mays" Hayes wasn't just a fictional movie character, but a stereotype. Too many players with a ton of speed prefer to hit the ball in the air rather than utilize their speed to its fullest advantage. Not all of those players had the "runs like Mays, but hits like shit" problem, but some of them did. The passage of time and my faulty memory prevent me from naming names.
I hope Straw doesn't fall into that category, but a quote from this week concerns me.
Someone asked postgame why he doesn't bunt more. His response was something like "People have always been telling me I should work on bunting more. I don't know why but I just haven't worked on it much." 
I hope I'm wrong, but that immediately got me to wondering about how coachable he is. Anyone who sees his speed automatically assumes he should take advantage of it by bunting to get on base. I would imagine that every manager from little league, high school, college, and each level of the minors saw that potential....and yet Straw says he hasn't worked much on bunting.
Yes, I know bunting isn't as prevalent as it used to be and isn't worked on as much. And yes, I know I am probably reading way too much into one postgame quote.

I get it.... but I’m sure he’s working plenty in the right things (learning SS for one comes to mind)

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Myles Straw vs Vince Coleman though???

i loved vince coleman when i was young.  i really liked the cards too, because of him and ozzie smith, and the fact that they were in the east and we were in the west so it didn't matter.

if a cardinals game started at 7:05, by 7:07 they had first and third and tommy herr was coming up.

didn't take long to hate the shit out of them in the central though.

• Like 1