2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The 35th round draft pick I posted about not too long ago that had a lower bonus demand for the Astros and a couple other teams signed yesterday.

Also, 2018 11th rounder Conine is on a roll.

Lastly, Joe Smith is getting ready to shore up the Stros bullpen. 

Smith pitched another inning tonight as well. (Tweet above was from Tuesday’s game)

Finally gave up a hit (1 in 5 innings overall) but had two K’s tonight.

Is there really a reason to wait until after the All Star break to re-activate him? I guess numbers aren’t everything and maybe there are mechanical items he can continue to fine tune, but seems he is ready.

Round Rock has their break the same time as Houston. If they don’t activate him before the ASB, guessing they’ll assign him to Corpus for a last appearance or two before the Rangers series that starts Thursday in Arlington... Corpus plays in Frisco Mon-Wed next week.

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Smith pitched another inning tonight as well. (Tweet above was from Tuesday’s game)

Finally gave up a hit (1 in 5 innings overall) but had two K’s tonight.

Is there really a reason to wait until after the All Star break to re-activate him? I guess numbers aren’t everything and maybe there are mechanical items he can continue to fine tune, but seems he is ready.

Round Rock has their break the same time as Houston. If they don’t activate him before the ASB, guessing they’ll assign him to Corpus for a last appearance or two before the Rangers series that starts Thursday in Arlington... Corpus plays in Frisco Mon-Wed next week.

My guess is that he doesn't currently count against the 40 man roster 

47 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm officially pissed that there isn't a nationally televised Astros win today.

Bunch of bullshit but I’m sure they’re loving the holiday off with their family and friends

side note - adidas baseball is pumping out some damn good looking cleats 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Interesting, but Sanchez's ERA concerns me less than his BB rate. He's walking almost 13% of the hitters he's faced this year (~5.5 per 9 innings). In 2016, his only particularly good season, it was 8%. He's been at or above 12% ever since. 

That said, the club obviously understands his game/tendencies/issues/upside a lot better than I do from looking at his numbers - so if they buy low on him, I'd be intrigued. It feels more like an offseason move than a midseason one though. 

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Interesting, but Sanchez's ERA concerns me less than his BB rate. He's walking almost 13% of the hitters he's faced this year (~5.5 per 9 innings). In 2016, his only particularly good season, it was 8%. He's been at or above 12% ever since. 

That said, the club obviously understands his game/tendencies/issues/upside a lot better than I do from looking at his numbers - so if they buy low on him, I'd be intrigued. It feels more like an offseason move than a midseason one though. 

Yeah, the would probably have to change more than his pitch mix, which would take an off-season to accomplish, not something you do during a pennant chase. There are better options out there, that come with higher price, but at the same time the Astros are trying to win a World Series, anything else should be considered a failure.

8 minutes ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

Looks like Bregman has a girlfriend that is Allstar Game MVP caliber.  Reagan Howard.  Lives in Austin.  Works at Google.  Went to Aggie.   I am old compared to most of you and not sure how to upload pictures.  Google is your friend.  

Dv88VKnUUAEJOcn.jpg44718699_325198404965540_50397399629486851747514_148900292774750_824588698739783

Edited by Seasick Sailor