2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, rvm96 said:

What was that a couple days ago from a couple posters saying Altuve still needed work on his swing?

Not sure if this is one you are referring to but I made a comment a couple of days ago that he seemed to be pulling his head up and not watching the ball into contact. He clearly hasn’t been doing that as of late. I made a point of watching the replay closely and he was definitely zeroed in on the contact point. 

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we're gonna split, and that's fine.

but if we're playing halfway competent baseball, this is 3/4 with relative ease.

some real low moments for the stros this weekend. 

clean it up, fellas.

Yeah, the first two games were pretty ugly and last night wasn't much better.  Yet we are still an Osuna blown save on Friday away from 3/4.

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Not sure if this is one you are referring to but I made a comment a couple of days ago that he seemed to be pulling his head up and not watching the ball into contact. He clearly hasn’t been doing that as of late. I made a point of watching the replay closely and he was definitely zeroed in on the contact point. 

I think it was someone saying he was pulling the ball too much. 

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

It would be great if we could just trade for Robbie Ray today lol. He is scheduled to start Tuesday for the Dbacks and could just slide into our Tuesday start.

Shitty Aaron Sanchez is also a Tuesday starter.

let’s just start streaming like my fantasy squad. 

Pitching is on the Astros’ mind as the AL West leaders approach the trade deadline, and both starters or relievers could be on the menu, GM Jeff Luhnow told The Athletic’s Jake Kaplan (subscription required).  “It all depends on whether or not we’re able to acquire a starter and what that means for the rest of the rotation and maybe when [Brad] Peacock’s going to come back and be healthy and all of that,” Luhnow said.  “So, there are a lot of variables.  But we’ve never ruled out looking at relievers.  In fact, several of the pitchers that we have on our wish list are relievers.”

As Luhnow mentioned, Peacock’s injury status adds another question mark to a rotation that was already in need of at least one more starter.  While Houston has been linked to any number of big-name starters on the rumor mill, acquiring a reliever would add pen depth, and also perhaps allow the Astros to experiment with using an opener and bulk pitcher for one of the rotation spots, rather than a full-time starter.  For the short term, Luhnow figured his team will have to get though something of a pitching crunch over the next few days, though “we talked to a couple clubs about some players who might fit in.”

This organization's front office and GM has proven itself to be one of the best in MLB but I feel like ego crept up this off-season and kinda bit us in the ass. The starting rotation was considered a definite strength but going into the 2019 season with LMJ on the shelf and a crop of unproven starting prospects in the minors was a little questionable given the inherent injury risk of pitchers in MLB. 

Not signing Uncle Charlie especially and Keuchel to a lesser extent was easily Luhnow's greatest mistake yet.

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This organization's front office and GM has proven itself to be one of the best in MLB but I feel like ego crept up this off-season and kinda bit us in the ass. The starting rotation was considered a definite strength but going into the 2019 season with LMJ on the shelf and a crop of unproven starting prospects in the minors was a little questionable given the inherent injury risk of pitchers in MLB. 

Not signing Uncle Charlie especially and Keuchel to a lesser extent was easily Luhnow's greatest mistake yet.

You can't have this take until after July 31.  Let's revisit in 17 days.