2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

With the streakiness of Tucker, I could see him continue going off in Sept but then pull a “Reddick” if he gets the nod in October and everyone kills him

There is a risk/reward with Tucker that I don’t think is worth it given the rest of the lineup we’re blessed with.
Roll with Reddick for the reasons mentioned above...as long as he continues to show a pulse.
He’s the better defensive option for innings 1-8 and I can’t fathom the speed difference being enough to make a dent (do you really think Tucker will be stealing bases from the 8 or 9 spot early in games ahead of springer)?

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Reddick roams right field like no one else on this team. You stick him in the #9 hole and ride it 

It really isn’t that hard to snag a ball over that fence.  It’s like dunking on an 8 foot goal.  He is a decent outfielder with a great arm.  He is far from elite.  

Against lefties, he shouldn’t ever play.  Marisnick hits lefties better than Reddick does and plays better center than George.  And George is a much better right fielder and hitter than Reddick.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

There’s also something to be said for Reddick’s energy and veteran presence on this team.  He’s definitely a part of the chemistry and culture of what has been the best team in baseball this year.  You don’t just kick that to the curb.  

I’ve made this counterpoint to Sack before, but go ahead and find all of the highlights of MLB players robbing HRs at MMP’s RF wall since it’s so easy to do.  George has spent a lot of innings roaming RF and off the top of my head, I don’t recall too many of the type of plays that Reddick has made pretty routinely.   Maybe Reddick’s just lucky.  Or maybe he’s a good judge of fly balls and knows his position exceptionally well.  

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Over his career he absolutely does.  And he’s a much better outfielder.  Reddick has been slightly above replacement level this year and has zero business playing on our really good team. 

Reddick was better against lefties last year as well.  He’s improved quite a bit against LHP since joining the Astros.

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

There’s also something to be said for Reddick’s energy and veteran presence on this team.  He’s definitely a part of the chemistry and culture of what has been the best team in baseball this year.  You don’t just kick that to the curb.  

I’ve made this counterpoint to Sack before, but go ahead and find all of the highlights of MLB players robbing HRs at MMP’s RF wall since it’s so easy to do.  George has spent a lot of innings roaming RF and off the top of my head, I don’t recall too many of the type of plays that Reddick has made pretty routinely.   Maybe Reddick’s just lucky.  Or maybe he’s a good judge of fly balls and knows his position exceptionally well.  

Also need to keep Reddick’s sweet ass 577 ops in 47 playoff games.  That 219 average, 280 OBP and 297 slugging percentage is something we must keep in the lineup.  

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I hope Reddick kicks ass.  I just don’t think he will. And think Tucker and Marisnick should get every one of his at bats.  

i don't really want marisnick to get anybody's at bats.

he's a late inning def replacement, period.  just like straw is a pr, period.  just like verlander is a dream-crusher, period.

• Like 1