2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, Jshep34 said:
6 minutes ago, BigXII said:
It's seriously still weird for me to say that the Astros have been to multiple world series, period. It stuns me that they're the current kings of baseball. The fucking HOUSTON ASTROS. Honestly never thought I'd see the day.

Same here. Always dreamed and hoped id see them win just 1. Thats why im so happy for the die hard fans of Astros. I know what this means to them, thier families. There are family members that i wish were here to celebrate and enjoy 2017 and tonight.

what's so crazy is it's not like they won in a down year or something, that they won a world series then faded away, like a one hit wonder. They beat the Yankees TWICE, one of which was a monster yankees team, and they made it look almost effortless. The astros are openly calling themselves one of the greatest teams ever assembled, sports writers are calling them a budding dynasty.

I remember The Lastros, the Disastros, the Asstros. I actually was upset when we left the NL because we wouldn't play the Dodgers and Cubs anymore. Who knew going to the AL and tearing down the team to the metal would be the best thing to ever happen to the franchise?

And they've been doing it in Orange with the classic logo, too! That fucking rules so hard.

• Like 8

Reviewing the Nats stats...

They have 4 really dangerous hitters: Rendon, Soto, Turner, and Kendrick.  Robles is gonna be a stud, but he's not there yet.  The rest of their lineup is mediocre to bad.  Only 4 guys hit over .280 (and several hit under .260) and only 2 hit over 30 HR.  What they do have over us is speed, particularly Turner and Robles.

Their starting three are very good, but we have a slight edge in each matchup, unless you want to call Greinke and Corbin a push in Game 3.  We really need to jump on them 2-0.

Their bullpen is downright turrible.  If we can chase starters early, we'll have a good chance to add on.  And any game that is tied into the 8th, 9th, or extras is a big advantage our way with the better overall lineup and better BP.

Astros in 6.  Maybe 5.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigXII said:

I remember The Lastros, the Disastros, the Asstros. I actually was upset when we left the NL because we wouldn't play the Dodgers and Cubs anymore. Who knew going to the AL and tearing down the team to the metal would be the best thing to ever happen to the franchise?

...Bud Selig? ;)

(I keed! I keed!)

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Such an vintage Altuve quote during post-game interview. They asked him about the HR pitch and his answer was basically:

"I was thinking fastball and just hoping that I could stay on time and luckily I was late and it was a slider."

I literally love Jose Altuve.

Crane buys the team. Hires Luhnow. Tanks, rebuilds the farm system, raises some great home-grown talent, trades for more, buys a bit more, and builds this amazing juggernaut of talent around young studs like Correa, Bregman and Springer, and great old vets like Greinke and Verlander. They find a way to resurrect these high-spin-rate guys' careers, and turn good high-spin-rate guys into legends.

And the guy who sent us to the WS isn't any one of those. It's the guy nobody would give a chance to. The guy who showed up when we were bad and suffered through the years of being even worse. The guy whose home country is devouring itself in corruption and misery. The guy the scout lied about his height in order to give him a shot. The one guy who just somehow drove himself through all the analytics and all the talent and proved himself to be the best player on the team.

I. Literally. Love. Jose Altuve.

Before the game, some kid on a bike, saw me wearing the Astros clothes and asked who my favorite Astro is. I didn't even have to think about it.

• Like 6

To wash the taste out:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/10/20/astros-yankees-alcs-world-series-mlb/4042257002/

"I still remember when we lost a 100 games three years in a row," Altuve said. "It seems like we were in the very, very bottom. So the only hope I had was to keep working hard because everybody keeps telling me, 'Yeah, we're going to win a championship, we're going to be a really good team. I wanted to be a part of that.’

Altuve is a fucking inspiration. I liked Jeremy Lin when he was Knick because his story was pretty inspirational, and Jose Altuve is the same damn way. Even if I wasn't an astros fan, I'd love the dude.

• Like 1

Just now, Storm the Field said:

Probably said before, but can you imagine the relief for Jake not having to come up to bat and Rondon not having to come out and pitch the 10th?

Altuve was the happiest guy in Houston tonight, followed by Osuna and then probably Jake. 

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

...Bud Selig? ;)

(I keed! I keed!)

I literally love Jose Altuve.

Crane buys the team. Hires Luhnow. Tanks, rebuilds the farm system, raises some great home-grown talent, trades for more, buys a bit more, and builds this amazing juggernaut of talent around young studs like Correa, Bregman and Springer, and great old vets like Greinke and Verlander. They find a way to resurrect these high-spin-rate guys' careers, and turn good high-spin-rate guys into legends.

And the guy who sent us to the WS isn't any one of those. It's the guy nobody would give a chance to. The guy who showed up when we were bad and suffered through the years of being even worse. The guy whose home country is devouring itself in corruption and misery. The guy the scout lied about his height in order to give him a shot. The one guy who just somehow drove himself through all the analytics and all the talent and proved himself to be the best player on the team.

I. Literally. Love. Jose Altuve.

Before the game, some kid on a bike, saw me wearing the Astros clothes and asked who my favorite Astro is. I didn't even have to think about it.

A franchise that had loyal players like Biggio, exciting hitters like Bagwell, and even NOLAN RYAN, and my favorite astro of all time is a 5'5" dude who couldn't make a minor league team until he begged for a spot.

He's Houston's Rudy, only not a piece of shit.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BigXII said:

what's so crazy is it's not like they won in a down year or something, that they won a world series then faded away, like a one hit wonder. They beat the Yankees TWICE, one of which was a monster yankees team, and they made it look almost effortless. The astros are openly calling themselves one of the greatest teams ever assembled, sports writers are calling them a budding dynasty.

And they've been doing it in Orange with the classic logo, too! That fucking rules so hard.

The other best part of the move is cock blocking the Yankees from the World Series! 

Fun moment tonight: 

My parents, who have become complete Astros fanatics since retiring, watching every pitch of every game every night, were staying over this weekend and we got to watch the game together. They kept giving me shit about constantly checking my phone, which I always do when I'm nervously watching close games b/c the Twitter feed is usually about 7-10 seconds ahead of my TV. Anyways, we're all a little down and out after Osuna blew it and I'm pacing around nervously, refreshing every 2 seconds during Altuve's AB. I see Chandler Rome tweet "Astros are going to the World Series. Altuve walks it off." and I sit down and pretend like I have no idea what's about to happen. Off the bat, I jump up and yell "that's gone!" and my Dad was like "no way, not enough" and then all hell broke loose. I loved it.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:
41 minutes ago, BigXII said:
It's seriously still weird for me to say that the Astros have been to multiple world series, period. It stuns me that they're the current kings of baseball. The fucking HOUSTON ASTROS. Honestly never thought I'd see the day.

Same here. Always dreamed and hoped id see them win just 1. Thats why im so happy for the die hard fans of Astros. I know what this means to them, thier families. There are family members that i wish were here to celebrate and enjoy 2017 and tonight.

I was eight when I got to go to Game 6 of the ‘86 NLCS, and I didn’t think anything would ever top Billy Hatcher’s homer in the 14th.

Now it seems like these guys top it multiple times every year.  What a team.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The other best part of the move is cock blocking the Yankees from the World Series! 

For my brother, it was beating the Dodgers that mattered more than the Yankees. For literally decades, my brother would randomly bring up the 1981 NLCS and bitch about game 7. I'd always have to tell him that the game happened before I was born, lol. He literally never got over it. So facing the dodgers in the world series was some epic catharsis for him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Yeah, me too. Perfectly put. 

I’m just glad I lived to see the day that the Astros are the big swinging dicks of baseball. 

Of course, we may well not win this World Series, but after the decades of fandom when we virtually had no chance to play in one, this is awesome. 

I still have nightmares about Game 5 of the NLCS in 1980, though. 

5 minutes ago, BigXII said:

My brother always brings that up, too. Apparently, "we were six outs away."

Ha ha. Your brother was right. 

We went to the 8th with a 5-2 lead, Nolan Ryan on the mound. Perfect scenario to make it to the World Series you would think. Except it all went to shit from that point. 

I’ve often wondered if the history of the Astros might have been more glorious if they’d beaten the Phillies that night 40 years ago. Phillies won the World Series that year. 

It would have been a championship only 18 years into their existence as opposed to the first one coming 55 years in. 

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Fun moment tonight: 

My parents, who have become complete Astros fanatics since retiring, watching every pitch of every game every night, were staying over this weekend and we got to watch the game together. They kept giving me shit about constantly checking my phone, which I always do when I'm nervously watching close games b/c the Twitter feed is usually about 7-10 seconds ahead of my TV. Anyways, we're all a little down and out after Osuna blew it and I'm pacing around nervously, refreshing every 2 seconds during Altuve's AB. I see Chandler Rome tweet "Astros are going to the World Series. Altuve walks it off." and I sit down and pretend like I have no idea what's about to happen. Off the bat, I jump up and yell "that's gone!" and my Dad was like "no way, not enough" and then all hell broke loose. I loved it.

You should change your handle to Futureman or something

I'll admit, I've hated the Yankees for a lot longer than the Astros have been in the AL.

But I will say, probably the only individual players I cannot stand are Gardner and Sanchez. I dont hate Judge. I like to see us strike him out. But guy is a damned good ball player, and from all reports, a good person as well (does a lot for kids).

I know we were all joking about him crying, but to me, it shows that he lives this sport just as much as our boys who we love to watch play. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27884169/aaron-judge-labels-yankees-season-failure-alcs-loss-astros

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

That was an amazing double play 

I was telling the dude next to me right before that it felt like the Yankees were too disciplined to hit into one even we needed it most. Then that happened. Then they did it again the next inning! 

Just read a couple pages of Yankees fan forum.  It seems that if the team from the Bronx would have just signed Verlander, Cole, and Grienke; none of this would have happened.

LOLz.  No shit.

I DO revel in their entitlement that they should own every great talent.  Therein lies the best flavor in this deliciousness that is the treat of the 2nd Astros WS berth in 3 years.  It's certainly not the best part of either season, but at this moment, beating the Yankees to get there is fantastic.

Just read a couple pages of Yankees fan forum.  It seems that if the team from the Bronx would have just signed Verlander, Cole, and Grienke; none of this would have happened.
LOLz.  No shit.
I DO revel in their entitlement that they should own every great talent.  Therein lies the best flavor in this deliciousness that is the treat of the 2nd Astros WS berth in 3 years.  It's certainly not the best part of either season, but at this moment, beating the Yankees to get there is fantastic.
Ending their season 3 times over the last 5 years is delicious.