2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

That statement was the stupidest thing the Astros could have done.

Yep.  You think they would have learned from Luhnow lying about talking to veterans before acquiring Osuna or his stupid-ass twisting of the "zero-tolerance" policy for domestic abusers.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

yeah, i'd like to see some video or audio before i decide if this guy should be fired or just suspended indefinitely and dragged into the street and beaten.

Regardless of intent, all the Astros had to do was release a “we are looking into it, we apologize that the journalists felt uncomfortable in our clubhouse” statement and it blows over by morning. Instead, they did the ONE thing that could extend the lifespan of this story. Just unbelievably stupid.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Regardless of intent, all the Astros had to do was release a “we are looking into it, we apologize that the journalists felt uncomfortable in our clubhouse” statement and it blows over by morning. Instead, they did the ONE thing that could extend the lifespan of this story. Just unbelievably stupid.

This.  It's entirely possible that what Taubman said and how he said it is a very big deal.  It's also possible that people overreacted to something harmless and couldn't wait to write an op/ed about a societal problem to further themselves.  We don't really know until there's video/audio.

But the franchise should have given a standard blurb then shut the fuck up, especially when two of the reporters corroborating the story are from the Houston Chronicle.

2 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Goddamn the secondary market is still out of control. I feel like 2017 was cheaper for WS tickets, but maybe I’m imagining things. Would love to get something other than 400 for under $1k but doesn’t look likely. Fucking fees. 

Sec 253 where I am is going for $600 + fees on stub hub....I got them at face which was $240.

I checked tickets for Nationals stadium....$750 cheapest and it's SRO.  I have a project in Baltimore I could have made an excuse to go, but that's crazy.  

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Thanks a lot, Taubman.  Really looking forward to hearing about this shit on the pre-game tomorrow night.  And I'm sure our closer needs a massive distraction on top of having blown his last save.  Just get a couple of beers in you and run your mouth, you lightweight dipshit.  

I would be shocked if this is talked about at all on the Fox broadcast.

Goddamn the secondary market is still out of control. I feel like 2017 was cheaper for WS tickets, but maybe I’m imagining things. Would love to get something other than 400 for under $1k but doesn’t look likely. Fucking fees. 

Yep, prices are crazy. I got two in 225 for $1500 + fees each using StubHub. I’m broke.

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

This.  It's entirely possible that what Taubman said and how he said it is a very big deal.  It's also possible that people overreacted to something harmless and couldn't wait to write an op/ed about a societal problem to further themselves.  We don't really know until there's video/audio.

But the franchise should have given a standard blurb then shut the fuck up, especially when two of the reporters corroborating the story are from the Houston Chronicle.

Story seems to stink. Video and audio of clubhouse everywhere. 

not much of a stretch to think a reporter wearing that shirt to go cover Osuna/Chapman wasn’t looking to make themselves a story. 

Could be wrong.....maybe the simple sight of the shirt triggered him into a dumbass rage?  Seems legit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Story seems to stink. Video and audio of clubhouse everywhere. 

not much of a stretch to think a reporter wearing that shirt to go cover Osuna/Chapman wasn’t looking to make themselves a story. 

Could be wrong.....maybe the simple sight of the shirt triggered him into a dumbass rage?  Seems legit. 

What was the shirt?

I'm guessing that he didn't notice the wristband and was focused on baseball, the team, and the world series and didn't know not to talk favorably about Osuna to the reporter. That would explain why the Astros are going with the defense of misinterpreting and twisting the words.

SI Article:

More than an hour after José Altuve won the Astros the pennant, the party in the Houston clubhouse still raged. Rightfielder Josh Reddick was crushing vodka Red Bulls. Starter Gerrit Cole smoked a cigar. Shortstop Carlos Correa gazed lovingly at the American League championship trophy.

And in the center of the room, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to a group of three female reporters, including one wearing a purple domestic-violence awareness bracelet, and yelled, half a dozen times, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f------ glad we got Osuna!”

The outburst was offensive and frightening enough that another Houston staffer apologized. The Astros declined to comment. They also declined to make Taubman available for an interview.

Chronicle Article:

Taubman was holding a cigar and standing with two or three other men when he yelled his comments, two eyewitnesses said. The three female reporters were approximately eight feet away and one was visibly shaken by the comment, the eyewitnesses said. There were no players in the area and no interviews were being conducted at the time. The Astros statement said “an Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing.”

Doesn't exactly jive with one another. Not sure it really matters anyway. Damage is done.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Viper said:

I'm guessing that he didn't notice the wristband and was focused on baseball, the team, and the world series and didn't know not to talk favorably about Osuna to the reporter. That would explain why the Astros are going with the defense of misinterpreting and twisting the words.

Did he also not notice the home run he gave up in the 9th?

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

What was to talk about favorably?  He had just blown the game basically...

Taubman was holding a cigar and standing with two or three other men when he yelled his comments, two eyewitnesses said. The three female reporters were approximately eight feet away and one was visibly shaken by the comment, the eyewitnesses said. There were no players in the area and no interviews were being conducted at the time. The Astros statement said “an Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing.”

Lmao. Yeah, whatever. 

Look, domestic violence is bad. I don't think anyone here would dispute that. But quotes like this are eye-roll worthy. 

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

(New York-based National media) "You know what we should do? We should try to drum up some controversy to push during the World Series because they dared to beat our beloved big market and nationally watched Yankees. Otherwise, millions will simply want to watch a bunch of future Hall of Famers face off for the title, which serves no political purpose."

Fify

• Like 1

The Astros really fucked this one up. I was hoping to scroll through Twitter and hopefully see cool stats and facts today. Instead, it’s nothing but how the Astros are a disgusting franchise, the assistant to the GM should be fired, and Osuna should be released. Thanks a lot PR team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We should forfeit the World Series to make everyone happy.

There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".

4 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".

That new disney lion king remake went in a weird direction

11 minutes ago, huge said:

He is the assistant GM.  Basically Luhnow's deputy.  A little more important than some intern...

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/8/22/20826486/getting-to-know-the-astros-front-office-brandon-taubman

“ In his new role, Brandon continues to oversee the baseball analytics and pro player scouting departments, as well as the teams Major League administrative functions.” And also states: “ Brandon has been heavily involved in virtually every aspect of the Baseball Operations department, including international, domestic and pro scouting, contract valuation and negotiation, economic modeling and most recently, as of his appointment to Senior Director in 2017, Research and Development. Through his work across areas, he has been an essential figure in helping the Astros become perennial contenders at the Major League level, while maintaining a top-ranked farm system.”

He's worked for the Astros since 2013 and has moved up pretty fast.  That probably explains why the Astros jumped to his defense without thinking things through.  Sounds like his wife is about to have a baby also.

Edited by kevwun