2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Taubman seems very replaceable, he should start updating his resume. He’s expected to act better than that, not like a drunken bro. 

Maybe, but unless you are adding context not offered by the offender there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. 

unless they are only allowed to curse the Osuna name for the rest of time. 

The context is all from a bystander not involved in the conversation across the room. 

• Like 4

It doesn't make sense, but 2 other reporters have confirmed that's what happened.  One works for the Chronicle and the other for Yahoo Sports.  If I was to guess, Taubman had a few too many Budweisers and did something really stupid.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

The part I really love about the story is that it took them over 40 hours to post it, so it would be the only thing talked about on the day of Game 1. Better yet, why are they unable to interview Taubman?  If it was so profound, why didn't one of the 40 reporters in the room question him about it? Lots of missing pieces to this story.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It doesn't make sense, but 2 other reporters have confirmed that's what happened.  One works for the Chronicle and the other for Yahoo Sports.  If I was to guess, Taubman and a few too many Budweisers and did something really stupid.

they simply confirmed he said it, and added their own context......40+ hrs later

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

The part I really love about the story is that it took them over 40 hours to post it, so it would be the only thing talked about on the day of Game 1. Better yet, why are they unable to interview Taubman?  If it was so profound, why didn't one of the 40 reporters in the room question him about it? Lots of missing pieces to this story.

Evidence is hardly needed when you're looking for a chance to express feigned indignation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It doesn't make sense, but 2 other reporters have confirmed that's what happened.  One works for the Chronicle and the other for Yahoo Sports.  If I was to guess, Taubman had a few too many Budweisers and did something really stupid.

https://twitter.com/HunterAtkins35

Check out the bio of the Chron corroborator.  

7 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Right after we beat the Yankees? Who can be held responsible for what comes out of their mouth for the first 30 minutes after the game ends? There should be a grace period for stupid shit like this

Also, the 2 named corroborating journalists are from NY. The "Chronicle" reporter Hunter Atkins was one of them. He didn't even write the story on this ordeal FOR the Chronicle. Chandler Rome did. Just a whole lot of weird in this situation.

http://www.hunteratkins.com/

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Added his personal website

I think this guy was/is a candidate for the Red Sox GM position.  What a moron.  Nerdy ivy league ex wall street bro with a low alcohol tolerance who has probably touched one hiney in his life (wife) outside of a strip club.  No background in baseball other than "fantasy baseball expert".  No really, that was on his resume/bio.  Then again, front offices are filled with these analytical data dorks now; which is fine, just keep them away from the postgame hooch.

Edited by ballrific
  • Like 2

My son's class had their "Wax Museum" project presentation last night.  The premise was that they chose someone weel known and did a bio on them with poster boards and such.  They also had to dress like them last night for the presentation.  There was a boy that had chosen Jose Altuve and when he came to the microphone to announce who he was the whole crowd erupted in cheers and applause.  it was pretty cool.  Go Stros.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

In the hard copy of the Chronicle this morning, 7 Chronicle sports reporters made their World Series picks. 

Only one picked the Nats. 

Hunter Atkins’ pick? Nats in 6

Must be the nom de plume of one Kirk Bohls. See also: Curt Bowles, among others.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

In the hard copy of the Chronicle this morning, 7 Chronicle sports reporters made their World Series picks. 

Only one picked the Nats. 

Hunter Atkins’ pick? Nats in 6

It's not a unsupportable pick.  I give the Nats a 40% chance of winning the WS.

But OTOH, it could also be employing the shameless Kirk Bowels/Ivan Maisel/John McCain recipe for success of frequently going way out of the way to backstab/piss all over the team or conference you cover (or your party) in order to virtue signal and prove how oh so gloriously independent you are.   Or trolling.

Taubman could be an idiot, he could deserve firing, but with these days so much 'journalism' being piss chart failing yellow or agenda driven cries of wolf, it's hard to know who to believe.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

This story makes no sense. Taubman just saw 3 female reporters and starting yelling that he was glad the Astros got a guy that nearly cost them a shot at the WS.

How do we know that he was thinking about domestic violence when he was yelling?

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Devo replacing Abreu is only change

As bad as Suzuki throws, I would have liked to see Straw for late inning baserunning. 

I kind of thought they may bring Straw along also. With the pitching on both sides being able to pinch run, steal a base or score from first may be a game changer. Hopefully Tucker does more than hand out water.

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

Any thoughts on going Greinke in game 2 so both he and Verlander get an extra days rest?

This would be an uphauling mistake as I was told that the biggest french benefit of acquiring Greinke was being able to use him in NL parks in the World Series

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jebus said:

This would be an uphauling mistake as I was told that the biggest french benefit of acquiring Greinke was being able to use him in NL parks in the World Series

Yeah I knew there must have been something I was missing on that decision.