2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Checked outside this morning,  the sun's coming up and we get to play baseball again tonight. Flush that shit away and give it a courtesy flush too, just to be sure. 

If you're gonna split these games, win the second and leave home a winner. 

• Like 1

This one is on me.  I had probably the worst day yesterday and everything I touched went to shit.  It was almost like a bad dream.  I watched the game hoping to change my mood and then turned it off after the Nats went up 4-2.  I realized that I can't even watch tv without it getting fucked up yesterday.  

38 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Then, somebody better start driving in runners, especially RISP with 2 outs. That and 12 K’s by the team least likely to strikeout is not a good trend. 

Alllllllthat and we still almost pulled it out.

Today is a new day.

• Like 1

In 2017 I felt deflated after losing game 1 when we easily could have stole one on the road to start. Game 4 was even worse when Charlie pitched his nuts off but we couldn't hit to save our lives until Giles imploded. Not being able to close in game 6 with JV was a massive gut punch especially with our game 7 starter up in the air. The game is still the game and we still have the best team in baseball. Just nut up and win tonight, no excuses.

Edited by Alvin89

8 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Let's all hope Alex Bregman remembers how to hit a baseball.

Killing that trade value with every whiff. Seriously, he's one of the last guys in baseball I'd have expected to seize up in the crunch. Hopefully just a passing thing, but it really needs to end tonight.  

I think we are past the point of wondering if this team is slumping or just in a permanent slump because that is what it feels like. I think we get great JV in the WS and grienke is due to pitch a great game as well. We win the next 2 games.

nats are riding a 6 game winning streak? Hot at the perfect time is what all champions do so I hope they cool off. Didn’t think I would see Cole get roughed up like that but after 19-0 since may it sucks it happens now.

ok, keys to the world series.  i'll start.
1. get alex bregman fucking going.  his first rbi of the alcs was on that weak grounder in g6.  he slugged .222 in the series.

2. 2 stats in particular we’ve done all year we need to continue: on offense, led majors in fewest Ks and most BBs ( Nats were 4th and 8th FWIW).
Need to continue that MO. Work counts and get into their bullpen in the 5th or 6th.
(After George swings wildly at the first pitch from Scherzer tomorrow night, of course)

3. Get Yordan going, or get Diaz into the DH Spot
4. Get Greinke some extra BP.

damn good on you surly.

#1. fail
#2. Push. Got in to the bullpen as early as you could expect but the 12Ks for the game was 5 above our regular season average
#3. Push. Yordan reached three times but not in the most critical moment. Did get Diaz two ABs against the Nats bullpen which may come in handy later in the series
#4. TBD

Re: The kid playing a video game;  kids are going to be kids. I would guess that at least 1000 (maybe 5000) adults were also looking at their phone at the same time.

I sat in the upper deck for one of the Yankee games. It seemed like 75% of the woman (& 6% of the men) in the section had to pose for photos on the stairwell landing with the field in the background. They were practically lined up between innings but a few of them were delayed into the next at-bats to complete their facegram humble brag photos.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Re: The kid playing a video game;  kids are going to be kids. I would guess that at least 1000 (maybe 5000) adults were also looking at their phone at the same time.

I sat in the upper deck for one of the Yankee games. It seemed like 75% of the woman (& 6% of the men) in the section had to pose for photos on the stairwell landing with the field in the background. They were practically lined up between innings but a few of them were delayed into the next at-bats to complete their facegram humble brag photos.

A friend of mine was at Game 6 and the women sitting next to her was reading the obituaries section of the Chronicle during the game.

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the goal here (and the goal before last night's game) is to get to 2-2.

you get to 2-2, and you have a 3 game series with cole (road) jv (home) and greinke (home).

it would be a lot easier to get to 2-2 if we won tonight, so let's do that.

I just told a panicking buddy of mine almost the same thing: must-win tonight with JV, then split the next two on the road, then it's a short series with our three aces and two of the games at home.  

Bottom line: we win tonight and we're still in good shape.

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I just told a panicking buddy of mine almost the same thing: must-win tonight with JV, then split the next two on the road, then it's a short series with our three aces and two of the games at home.  

Bottom line: we win tonight and we're still in good shape.

Well, Game 3 is also kind of a must-win then because Game 4 is Sanchez v. melange.

Losing last night didn't worry me because I don't see it being a heavy lift for us to win at least one in DC.  If we go down 0-2 with Cole and JV, then it's an uphill battle that will require the bats to over-perform.

Seeing Alvarez get on base 3 times was a great sign even though he couldn't convert with the bases loaded. What's it going to take to get him to hit a HR!!

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie