2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

58 minutes ago, huge said:

There was just a Taubman story on this Schapp ESPN show and they interviewed Jenny Dial Creech live.

Wonder what was said. No volume here.

Don’t get me started on Jenny Dial Creech. She writes at a high school level at best. Her articles are either are the most vapid, Captain Obvious type that fails to convey any real insight and the other is when she pontificates on social justice warrior bullshit that has no place in sports. Rather than covering the Series, the female SI reporter inserted herself and made herself part of the story detracting from the Astros greatness.. That story never should have been run and is just another example of the decline in journalistic standards. Taubman merely stated that he was glad Osuna is on the team. To infer that that was an attack against female sports writers is absurd and the whole lot of them should be ashamed of themselves. Not a surprising reaction from a woke, young journalist. I’m glad the Astros went after her had with the initial press release.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Don’t get me started on Jenny Dial Creech. She writes at a high school level at best. Her articles are either are the most vapid, Captain Obvious type that fails to convey any real insight and the other is when she pontificates on social justice warrior bullshit that has no place in sports. Rather than covering the Series, the female SI reporter inserted herself and made herself part of the story detracting from the Astros greatness.. That story never should have been run and is just another example of the decline in journalistic standards. Taubman merely stated that he was glad Osuna is on the team. To infer that that was an attack against female sports writers is absurd and the whole lot of them should be ashamed of themselves. Not a surprising reaction from a woke, young journalist. I’m glad the Astros went after her had with the initial press release.

I don't get why all the articles yesterday and today make a big deal that the reporter was wearing a purple wristband.  Before this shit came out, how many people knew what a purple wristband meant?  There's a different color band for everything these days so how are we supposed to keep them all straight?  And I hope my use of the word straight didn't offend anyone that might be wearing a green / red / rainbow / whatever wristband.  It wasn't meant that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don't get why all the articles yesterday and today make a big deal that the reporter was wearing a purple wristband.  Before this shit came out, how many people knew what a purple wristband meant?  There's a different color band for everything these days so how are we supposed to keep them all straight?  And I hope my use of the word straight didn't offend anyone that might be wearing a green / red / rainbow / whatever wristband.  It wasn't meant that way.

That's your issue in all of this?

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

That's your issue in all of this?

It's one of the issues.  Other issues include a dork not being able to handle his liquor and a completely inept "damage control" response.

The idea of supporting a beleaguered player that almost lost a series for us is not one of my issues.  The way previously mentioned dork went about it is though.

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Hey look, here's Icono with an uninformed, misogynistic take.  What a huge surprise.  Crawl back in your hole, we like discussion among folks with more than a few functioning brain cells.

You can love this team and at the same time completely condemn (1) the incident in the first place; and (2) the absolutely unacceptable response by the PR staff.  I feel bad for the players, as they had nothing to do with this - but condemning the journalists is exactly the wrong take (but completely unsurprising coming from you).

You have no idea how the incident went down, but if it went down like is being reported, it was a shitload worse than "Taubman merely stating he was glad Osuna is on the team."  Sounds like he was being a misogynistic piece of shit (no wonder you're taking his side in this) and if it did indeed go down as has been reported, he needs to be fired.

Now, back to baseball.  Rant over. 

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So it looks like it'll be Greinke v. Sanchez in game 3 and Corbin v. Bullpen in game 4

A Greinke Sanchez sounds like pulling off a dirty sanchez after eating brats, wearing cargo short with the fly open only while also keeping your socks on,  and watching plains, trains, and automobiles on loop.

The only appropriate action the Astros can take after the monumental arrogance, stupidity, and drunken belligerence Taubman put on display for a cadre of reporters covering the ALCS is to fire Taubman. There is no excuse for his behavior and the shittastic handling of it by everyone in the PR department and front office, including Jeff Luhnow, reflects poorly on the Astros as a professional organization. 

I love the Houston Astros, they are my ride or die, but I'm ashamed of their handling of this easily-corrected situation. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

Fuck the Taubman bs.

Focus.

We got game 2 in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair 'nuff, I'm focused. 

I will admit though that I'm slightly triggered, but not because of the domestic violence angle; going back to the previous eras of Hunsicker/Wade/Purpura etc, the know-it-all fantasy nerds/sabermetrics guys always pissed me off because they constantly lampooned the Astros even when we were in the playoffs or at least competitive. Taubman strikes me as one of those arrogant young know-it-all pricks who thinks he's figured it all out and likes to proclaim himself the smartest guy in the internet chat room. I really hope Luhnow is more like AJ Hinch and less like Brandon Taubman. 

My .02.

24 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The only appropriate action the Astros can take after the monumental arrogance, stupidity, and drunken belligerence Taubman put on display for a cadre of reporters covering the ALCS is to fire Taubman. There is no excuse for his behavior and the shittastic handling of it by everyone in the PR department and front office, including Jeff Luhnow, reflects poorly on the Astros as a professional organization. 

I love the Houston Astros, they are my ride or die, but I'm ashamed of their handling of this easily-corrected situation. 

They should, and he should sue the organization and the NYT. Let him have his day in court and they can explain how saying “I fucking love Osuna” = “I love domestic violence”

Exhibit A...the purple braclet

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They should, and he should sue the organization and the NYT. Let him have his day in court and they can explain how saying “I fucking love Osuna” = “I love domestic violence”

Exhibit A...the purple braclet

His wrongdoing was not about the domestic violence issue but workplace harassment. He was targeting Footer because she's been vocal about the DV issue on Twitter often when Osuna entered games and he broke his proverbial bat over his knee and grabbed his junk at her at a time when the team didn't need that stupid fucking distraction. He's an asshole, apparently. 

How the fuck do you do that to Footer?