2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

That is a lot of money for someone who has the raw materials, but still hasn't really put it all together.  Once again, I wish they would have kept Uncle Charlie.

Hell I'll take it a step further and say I wish we had kept CFM and Keuchel fuck both of them combined make less than Greinke does :(

18 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

We have lost two straight at home needing to win 1 before ... Fuck you 1980 NLCS. Ironically enough the Expos (now Nationals) matched the exact same feat in the 1981 NLCS.

Ugh. I was in the pressbox in the Dome for those two. Fortunately, I'm a "victim" of repressed memory concerning certain details of Game 5 in particular. The reasons for this vagueness will be obvious to any fellow Astros lifers. 

But hey...enough about all that. It's a shiny new millennium, full of hope and promise. Those days are long gone. We're gonna roll.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Ugh. I was in the pressbox in the Dome for those two. Fortunately, I'm a "victim" of repressed memory concerning certain details of Game 5 in particular. The reasons for this vagueness will be obvious to any fellow Astros lifers. 

But hey...enough about all that. It's a shiny new millennium, full of hope and promise. Those days are long gone. We're gonna roll.  

Yeah Game 5 is the thing that should not be :(

11 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Most of us are over the age of 30. Im not getting to excited about tomorrow. As reid ryan said in 2017 after game 7. As a lifelong Astros supporter you keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Oh it's not just the Astros it's every sporting team in the city save for the Comets & Dynamo who won it all in the first 4 & 2 seasons respectively.

In the sports I grew up with and give a shit about that play in the city there have been 162 seasons played so far that have yielded 5 championships.  If you lock it down to the NFL it is 152 seasons played so far that have yielded 3 championships.  Either way it sucks

50 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Most of us are over the age of 30. Im not getting to excited about tomorrow. As reid ryan said in 2017 after game 7. As a lifelong Astros supporter you keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

If tomorrow doesn’t go as planned, I imagine many astro fans will be crying that we’re going to lose game 7 too.  It’s the nature of any series. 

50 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

If tomorrow doesn’t go as planned, I imagine many astro fans will be crying that we’re going to lose game 7 too.  It’s the nature of any series. 

ok, off day and all that, so i went ahead and killed a few minutes looking at jv...the struggles...by the numbers, his last 3 starts.

10/13 (nyy) - 6.2ip, 2er, 7k, 1bb  (3-2 win in 11th)

10/18 (@nyy) - 7ip, 4er, 9k, 0bb (4-1 loss)

10/23 (wash) - 6ip, 4er, 6k, 3bb (12-3 loss)

not miserable, but certainly not jv-like.  let's take a deeper dive.

10/13 - only gave up 5 hits.  2 of them came back-to-back in the 4th - a lemahieu single, then a judge bomb.

10/18 - 1st inning: lemahieu bomb.  then judge singled, torres doubled, stanton k, then hicks off the foul pole - there's your 4 runs on 4 hits after only 1 out.  over the next 6.2ip, he gave up 1 hit and zero walks, striking out 8.

10/23 - "the blowout nationals win".  he walked turner on 4 pitches (3rd time in his career he's done that).  eaton singled, rendon doubled, 2-0.  so thru 0 outs, he had given up 1bb, 2h, 2er.  then he pitched 6 scoreless with 6k, 4h and 1bb.  then in the top 7th, he gives up a solo homer to suzuki, and walks robles, and gives way to pressly, and we know what happened after that.

so even though he has given up 8er in 13 innings his last 2 starts, it's been short burst flare-ups - twice in the 1st inning - followed by long stretches (6+) of dominant jv.  this isn't stringing hits together, bend-don't-break, and eventually they break thru.  6 of the 8 runs were in the 1st.  1 of the 8 runs was a walk standing on first with pressly coming in.

if jv can get himself through the 1st tomorrow without giving up a run, we might be in for a real treat.

let's go.

• Like 3

Good points.  But I'm not worried about JV, am expecting him to pitch a great game this time.  I'm worried about Strasburg.

Edited by clapclapclap
Damn, it's like waiting for childbirth, my mind keeps going over all the bad things that could happen even though I know the actual odds are good.
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, off day and all that, so i went ahead and killed a few minutes looking at jv...the struggles...by the numbers, his last 3 starts.

10/13 - only gave up 5 hits.  2 of them came back-to-back in the 4th - a lemahieu single, then a judge bomb.

10/18 - 1st inning: lemahieu bomb.  then judge singled, torres doubled, stanton k, then hicks off the foul pole - there's your 4 runs on 4 hits after only 1 out.  over the next 6.2ip, he gave up 1 hit and zero walks, striking out 8.

10/23 - "the blowout nationals win".  he walked turner on 4 pitches (3rd time in his career he's done that).  eaton singled, rendon doubled, 2-0.  so thru 0 outs, he had given up 1bb, 2h, 2er.  then he pitched 6 scoreless with 6k, 4h and 1bb.  then in the top 7th, he gives up a solo homer to suzuki, and walks robles, and gives way to pressly, and we know what happened after that.

so even though he has given up 8er in 13 innings his last 2 starts, it's been short burst flare-ups - twice in the 1st inning - followed by long stretches (6+) of dominant jv.  this isn't stringing hits together, bend-don't-break, and eventually they break thru.  6 of the 8 runs were in the 1st.  1 of the 8 runs was a walk standing on first with pressly coming in.

if jv can get himself through the 1st tomorrow without giving up a run, we might be in for a real treat.

let's go.

Ok i am convinced. 

3 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

I lived in the Houston area in the 80s (high school) and part of the 90s.  I went through the mid-80s Astros, the Rockets, the Oilers and that one game in particular, and continued to follow them after I left (well I ditched the NFL after the Oilers left).   Hell, I missed the first Rockets championship because I was in basic training, and so was getting the box scores in newspapers a few days late. Thankfully, my mom had VCRed the series, so I got to see the OJ chase in all it’s glory.  

Having seen so much disappointment, these Astros don’t feel like that at all.   I think they destroy the Nats tomorrow.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

let's go.

All three starters struggled in the first inning in the Bronx. I still wish we would have pitched Urquidy against the Rays and Yankees then I have a feeling all of the hand wringing over JV (not by you gandorf just in general) would likely be a moot point as I think it threw his overall timing off just enough. Hopefully he doesn't come out too amped up and wanting to kill the world in the first inning because more often than not that has been his problem this postseason because once he settles down he has been very solid if not outright dominant.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

let's go.

JV just needs to start his warmups in the bullpen about 5 minutes earlier than usual.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Having seen so much disappointment, these Astros don’t feel like that at all.   I think they destroy the Nats tomorrow.   

Agreed.  I feel good about tomorrow.

Several of our guys have gotten locked in at the plate, while theirs have gone ice cold.  I thought that if we took Game 3, all the pressure would move to their shoulders, making Game 4 feel like a must-win with Cole looming for Game 5.  They knew damn well they weren't gonna beat him twice.  And in Game 4, they started to look like they were pressing, and it continued into Game 5.  I expect more of the same in Game 6.  

If JV can survive the first on a 0 or a 1, I think we can cruise.

I'll call it Astros 6, Nationals 2.

52 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Agreed.  I feel good about tomorrow.

Several of our guys have gotten locked in at the plate, while theirs have gone ice cold.  I thought that if we took Game 3, all the pressure would move to their shoulders, making Game 4 feel like a must-win with Cole looming for Game 5.  They knew damn well they weren't gonna beat him twice.  And in Game 4, they started to look like they were pressing, and it continued into Game 5.  I expect more of the same in Game 6.  

If JV can survive the first on a 0 or a 1, I think we can cruise.

I'll call it Astros 6, Nationals 2.

yep this. if JV is pitching in the 3rd and only given up a 0 or 1 in total, then we are gold. he will get to 7 like that no prob. 

bats are alive and will catch a mistake or two. 

i see a 4 to 2 game in the 8th with the stros on top IMO

7 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Exactly. We're from Houston. It's not just baseball.  Oilers. Rockets.  Never get your hopes up. Expect the worst and then you can only be pleasantly surprised with a win rather than bitterly disappointed in a loss.  

• Like 1

100% agree with ya on the the past few years Astros teams are nothing like previous 40 years. If they close it out ill still cry tears of joy. Never would i have dreamed of what they accomplished in 2017. I just wish my grandparents and dad were here to celebrate it.

ITS 230AM ON JV DAY!!!!!! Lets go

• Like 3

It’ll be difficult, but not impossible to close out tonight. Strasburg is nails in the playoffs, sub 1.30 ERA with a large sample size. 

I could see Springer running into one with a man on in the 3rd or 4th, but runs are going to be hard to come by. 

Fingers crossed Martinez gets nervous in a high stress situation and he pulls Strasburg an inning or two too early. 

Hitters need to work counts as much as possible. Ideal state is to get him out of the game after the 5th inning so that you get 4 bullpen innings meaning either Doolittle & Hudson both have to pitch 2 innings or they have to break into arms like Rodney and Rainey who we've touched up.

The other thing is it seems like Martinez is much worse at making decisions when trailing as opposed to being even or ahead so even if we could hold a 1-0 advantage that could be massive.

56 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Hitters need to work counts as much as possible. Ideal state is to get him out of the game after the 5th inning so that you get 4 bullpen innings meaning either Doolittle & Hudson both have to pitch 2 innings or they have to break into arms like Rodney and Rainey who we've touched up.

The other thing is it seems like Martinez is much worse at making decisions when trailing as opposed to being even or ahead so even if we could hold a 1-0 advantage that could be massive.

This is completely wrong because you aren’t going to run Strasburg off the mound due to a high pitch count. Hell, he threw 114 pitches in 6 innings in Game 2.  The only way we run him early is by scoring runs and lots of them.  Best way to do that is be aggressive on the first good pitch you see (because you won’t get many) whether that pitch is at 0-0 or 1-0 doesn’t matter.  See good pitch, smash good pitch.  Don’t let any grooved pitches go by.

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This is completely wrong because you aren’t going to run Strasburg off the mound due to a high pitch count. Hell, he threw 114 pitches in 6 innings in Game 2.  The only way we run him early is by scoring runs and lots of them.  Best way to do that is be aggressive on the first good pitch you see (because you won’t get many) whether that pitch is at 0-0 or 1-0 doesn’t matter.  See good pitch, smash good pitch.  Don’t let any grooved pitches go by.

If we load the bases up 2-0 In the 4th or 5th, Martinez’s trigger finger is going to be very itchy. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If we load the bases up 2-0 In the 4th or 5th, Martinez’s trigger finger is going to be very itchy. 

Depends on how it got to that point, but in general if I’m Martinez I have to let Strasburg try to get out of it.  Would you pull JV or Cole in that situation to bring in Josh James?  I wouldn’t.

21 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yup. Park 3 or 4 in the Crawford boxes and he’ll be out of the game. Fuck taking good pitches. Looking at you Carlos. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Scherzer got chased after the 5th inning after 112 pitches. Martinez won't go much above 115 hence why Strasburg didn't pitch the 7th.

This is where I am
We tried the “work the pitch count” approach (and one that I said were keys to this series) and had 0-2 to show for it

I think we’re aggressive tonight and I think we have success early

On the flip side, I also think the Nats will be aggressive. They don’t want to get down early in an elimination game.
Hoping JV has command of all of his pitches starting at 7:08 and takes advantage

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

This is where I am
We tried the “work the pitch count” approach (and one that I said were keys to this series) and had 0-2 to show for it

I think we’re aggressive tonight and I think we have success early

On the flip side, I also think the Nats will be aggressive. They don’t want to get down early in an elimination game.
Hoping JV has command of all of his pitches starting at 7:08 and takes advantage

Aggressive hitting has been how we won 107 games.  I think part of the players only meeting was to remind themselves to go back to their game that got them to the WS with the best record in baseball.  

He pitched 6 innings in Game 2 which is not a short outing in this day and age, but you have a point that he won’t go more than 100 - 110 pitches.  I would rather he have 85 pitches after 6 innings but we have 4 or 5 runs on the board than what we saw in Game 2 when we were “successful” in running up his pitch count.

You really want to run up a pitch count and make him throw a lot of stressful pitches?  Then string consecutive hits together creating a lot of traffic on the base paths.  That will be much more effective than working the count to 3-2 every at bat.