2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Most of what this really should come down to is hitting. If JV has to be flawless to get us a win tonight, the rest of the guys aren't doing their job. I realize scoring on Strasburg is way easier said than done, though, so we really need plate discipline in this one. Don't be trying to hit the train. Let Uncle Mike be your zen master and just take good swings at actual strikes. There will be opportunities.  

• Like 1

Gotta put the ball in play against Strasburg with runners on base.  We managed 7 hits in 6 innings, but we also struck out 7 times.  Left 9 on base and 0-5 RISP.  We were so bad early on with RISP.  Unproductive groundouts, popouts and strikeouts. 

• Like 1

see the ball, hit the ball. have a good game plan at the plate and put all the fucking pressure on them from the get go. if we think gap to gap at the plate, that's when we're at our best. one thing we did at their park was effectively take the crowd out of the entire series by scoring first and often. our crowd should be hopped up on OG 4Loko and ready to tear that fucking roof off. give them a reason to - this is our fucking field. protect it. 

Y'all, the other shoe already dropped. In 2017 it didn't drop until a couple days after the Game 7 (Deshaun's ACL). This year it dropped a couple days early with JJ's pec. I feel (ok, hope) that the Gods have been paid their due. All that's left to do now is win it.

23 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I can't think of a better way to celebrate this anniversary than winning the world series at home:

I can haz Game 5 Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Yuli show up tonight?

Any chance we can get Kershaw into a Nats jersey? 

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

This is where I am
We tried the “work the pitch count” approach (and one that I said were keys to this series) and had 0-2 to show for it

I think we’re aggressive tonight and I think we have success early

On the flip side, I also think the Nats will be aggressive. They don’t want to get down early in an elimination game.
Hoping JV has command of all of his pitches starting at 7:08 and takes advantage

JV needs to start the 1st inning at 6:40 in the bullpen.  Get the early problems out of the way there.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Gotta put the ball in play against Strasburg with runners on base.  We managed 7 hits in 6 innings, but we also struck out 7 times.  Left 9 on base and 0-5 RISP.  We were so bad early on with RISP.  Unproductive groundouts, popouts and strikeouts. 

They're still not great, but seems like they were much more opportunistic in D.C. Hopefully that repeats tonight... for the win. 

Superstition predicament:

I own many Astros caps.

Every year on opening day I choose one to wear and continue wearing it until the Astros lose. Then I pick another hat and the cycle continues.

I got a Bring Home the Pennant hat after we won the division and wore it until we lost game three of the ALDS due to the win streak we finished the regular season on. We lost game four and I switched back to the Pennant hat for game 5.

Per superstition, I wore the hat for game 1 of the ALCS, after which I switched to my blue trucker hat. Of course we then reeled off three straight. So I wore it for game 5, and we lost. I then went back to the Pennant hat for game 6.

After we lost game 1 of the World Series, I switched hats and switched again after we lost game 2. Then I went back to the blue trucker, and we won three straight. So, now my question is do I stick with the blue trucker, which has been so lucky over the last three games but may have tapped out its potential based on the ALCS results, or do I go with the Pennant hat that I have worn for each game in which we've closed out a series during the playoffs?

This is a lot a responsibility for one man, and I want to make sure I make the right choice.  

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Superstition predicament:

I own many Astros caps.

Every year on opening day I choose one to wear and continue wearing it until the Astros lose. Then I pick another hat and the cycle continues.

I got a Bring Home the Pennant hat after we won the division and wore it until we lost game three of the ALDS due to the win streak we finished the regular season on. We lost game four and I switched back to the Pennant hat for game 5.

Per superstition, I wore the hat for game 1 of the ALCS, after which I switched to my blue trucker hat. Of course we then reeled off three straight. So I wore it for game 5, and we lost. I then went back to the Pennant hat for game 6.

After we lost game 1 of the World Series, I switched hats and switched again after we lost game 2. Then I went back to the blue trucker, and we won three straight. So, now my question is do I stick with the blue trucker, which has been so lucky over the last three games but may have tapped out its potential based on the ALCS results, or do I go with the Pennant hat that I have worn for each game in which we've closed out a series during the playoffs?

This is a lot a responsibility for one man, and I want to make sure I make the right choice.  

A player on streak has to respect the streak....worst case, you switch to the Pennant hat for a Game 7 victory.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Player said:

Heading to MMP in 2 hours for my 58th game of the season. I have a t-shirt that has my avatar on it. We haven't won every game that I've attended, but we've homered at least once, so you can bet your sweet asses I'll be wearing it tonight. 

Just read a Verducci article that said a team's winning percentage in this year's playoffs more than doubles when they hit a second home run in the game, so....

Image result for utah get me two

• Like 2