2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I can’t take much more of this shit. Glad that it ends tonight, and I’m especially glad it will end with a home win and a WS trophy. 

Big players make big plays in big games. Time for Zack, Bregs, Springer and Altuve to answer the bell. Maybe Yordan. Maybe Yuli. Maybe Correa. 

I have faith. 

Go for the win tonight.  Greinke, Urquidy, Osuna all need to be lights out.  Altuve, Springer Bregman, etc all need to be hitting the ball like madmen.  They play best when their back is against the wall.  

So glad it is game 7.  I can't take any more.

Edited by Moby Ric
  • Like 1

Granato just said that a guy on the team told him that Verlander was worried that he was tipping pitches and that the Nats were whistling and it was getting to him and got in his head.

I’ve heard stories of how paranoid he can get on this...
To the point of offering to pay large sums to get ex-teammates to reveal the perceived tip

41 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I can’t take much more of this shit. Glad that it ends tonight, and I’m especially glad it will end with a home win and a WS trophy. 

Big players make big plays in big games. Time for Zack, Bregs, Springer and Altuve to answer the bell. Maybe Yordan. Maybe Yuli. Maybe Correa. 

I have faith. 

LOL @ maybe Correa.

Dude is fucking checked out.  I don't understand it. 

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Gamblers are giving the tonight’s games to the Astros at approximately -132.   But it as north of -800 after game 5.

You have to like our chances.  Scherzer's health is a big unknown and even in Game 1 we got 2 runs off of him and battled enough to get him out after 5 and 112 pitches.  Between his health and making him work, we need to get him out early, hopefully after touching him up for some runs.

Both sides could use a ton of pitchers tonight and it may come down to which one has one blow up inning that decides the game.  Corbin and Sanchez will be ready to go but neither really scare me too much.  Neither Doolittle nor Hudson should scare a team that has gotten to Jansen and Chapman repeatedly in the playoffs.  

I just keep thinking that the difference should be that our lineup can do damage 1-7 and outside of Rendon and Soto, and Turner and Eaton to a much lesser extent, their lineup really doesn't scare me.  We need to make sure Rendon and Soto see our best guys.  Hopefully Greinke gets through the order twice but I don't want him facing Rendon and Soto a 3rd time unless he is in total control.  As shaky as JV looked all night, we probably shouldn't have let him face the top of the order a 3rd time either.  After that, Urquidy could play a CfM Game 7 type role tonight.  If not, we can piece it together with Harris, Smith, and Osuna.  Cole could get in too.

I like our chances but obviously anything can happen in a single winner take all game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LOL @ maybe Correa.

Dude is fucking checked out.  I don't understand it. 

The other team is on scholarship too.  He also hit a homerun way back in *checks notes* Game 5 and had a double *checks again* in his last at bat.

Edited by WBT

Was nervous as hell all day yesterday. Feeling much different today. I wouldn't call it confidence necessarily, but certainly not nervous or anxious. Felt the same way before game 5 in the ALDS. Think we'll pull it off. I have a lot of confidence in our ability to get to their bullpen. Unless Scherzer puts up a line similar to Strasburg's last night, I think we'll take the lead late and hold on. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

You have to like our chances.  Scherzer's health is a big unknown and even in Game 1 we got 2 runs off of him and battled enough to get him out after 5 and 112 pitches.  Between his health and making him work, we need to get him out early, hopefully after touching him up for some runs.

Both sides could use a ton of pitchers tonight and it may come down to which one has one blow up inning that decides the game.  Corbin and Sanchez will be ready to go but neither really scare me too much.  Neither Doolittle nor Hudson should scare a team that has gotten to Jansen and Chapman repeatedly in the playoffs.  

I just keep thinking that the difference should be that our lineup can do damage 1-7 and outside of Rendon and Soto, and Turner and Eaton to a much lesser extent, their lineup really doesn't scare me.  We need to make sure Rendon and Soto see our best guys.  Hopefully Greinke gets through the order twice but I don't want him facing Rendon and Soto a 3rd time unless he is in total control.  As shaky as JV looked all night, we probably shouldn't have let him face the top of the order a 3rd time either.  After that, Urquidy could play a CfM Game 7 type role tonight.  If not, we can piece it together with Harris, Smith, and Osuna.  Cole could get in too.

I like our chances but obviously anything can happen in a single winner take all game.

I see Doolittle as maybe even their 2nd best pitcher on a per pitch basis.  He's very sharp.

That Sherzer injury was a blessing in disguise, because his G5 would have been wasted vs. Cole.

I like our chances with Greinke on the mound tonight. The Nats are a good fastball hitting team. As good as Cole and JV are, the Nats are a bad match up for them. Greinke allowed a lot of base runners in game 3, but he kept the ball in the park. If he can produce similar results tonight or even reduce the number of base runners, I think our bats can do just enough to get the win. 

36 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Was nervous as hell all day yesterday. Feeling much different today. I wouldn't call it confidence necessarily, but certainly not nervous or anxious. Felt the same way before game 5 in the ALDS. Think we'll pull it off. I have a lot of confidence in our ability to get to their bullpen. Unless Scherzer puts up a line similar to Strasburg's last night, I think we'll take the lead late and hold on. 

• Like 2

history of Astros mascots -- while we wait for the game

History

0011907605072868.jpg
3695493113783710.png
Chester Charge, 1977

In April of 1977 the Houston Astros introduced their very first mascot, Chester Charge. At that time there was only one other mascot in major league baseball, which was the San Diego Chicken. Chester Charge was a 45 pound costume of a cartoon Texas cavalry soldier on a horse. Chester appeared on the field at the beginning of each home game, during the seventh inning stretch and then ran around the bases at the conclusion of each win. At the blast of a bugle, the scoreboard would light up and the audience would yell, “Charge!” The first Chester Charge was played by Steve Ross who was then an 18-year-old Senior High School student. The creation of Chester Charge and the (incredible for its day) scoreboard graphics were created by Ed Henderson.

[2] Following a visit to then the AAA-Astros affiliate, the Tucson Toros in 1989, former team marketing Vice President Ted Haracz sought to bring the Toros' mascot, Tuffy to Houston to serve as the teams mascot.[3] Although Tuffy was not promoted from Tucson, Hal Katzman, who performed as Tuffy was invited by the team to serve as Orbit for the 1990 season. The development of a team mascot for the 1990 season was viewed by the team as an important piece in its community outreach programs, specifically with children.[3]

Both the naming and design of the mascot were established from suggestion from local, Houston-area schoolchildren. The design for Orbit was derived from more than 10,000 children's drawings submitted to the Astros, with the final design being a composite of the various drawings submitted.[3] The first public appearance of Orbit occurred in January 1990 at Heflin Elementary School.[3]

One of the more notable incidents involving Orbit occurred when umpire Gary Darling ejected the mascot from the game for arguing balls and strikes.[4] In addition to his role as the Astros' mascot, Orbit made a one-time appearance as "Marty the Mariner Martian" during a "Turn Ahead the Clock" promotion at a 1998 Seattle Mariners game.[5]

Orbit was replaced with Junction Jack beginning in the 2000 season, with the team's move from the Astrodome to then Enron Field.[6]

3 minutes ago, NowThis said:

history of Astros mascots -- while we wait for the game

History

0011907605072868.jpg
3695493113783710.png
Chester Charge, 1977

In April of 1977 the Houston Astros introduced their very first mascot, Chester Charge. At that time there was only one other mascot in major league baseball, which was the San Diego Chicken. Chester Charge was a 45 pound costume of a cartoon Texas cavalry soldier on a horse. Chester appeared on the field at the beginning of each home game, during the seventh inning stretch and then ran around the bases at the conclusion of each win. At the blast of a bugle, the scoreboard would light up and the audience would yell, “Charge!” The first Chester Charge was played by Steve Ross who was then an 18-year-old Senior High School student. The creation of Chester Charge and the (incredible for its day) scoreboard graphics were created by Ed Henderson.

[2] Following a visit to then the AAA-Astros affiliate, the Tucson Toros in 1989, former team marketing Vice President Ted Haracz sought to bring the Toros' mascot, Tuffy to Houston to serve as the teams mascot.[3] Although Tuffy was not promoted from Tucson, Hal Katzman, who performed as Tuffy was invited by the team to serve as Orbit for the 1990 season. The development of a team mascot for the 1990 season was viewed by the team as an important piece in its community outreach programs, specifically with children.[3]

Both the naming and design of the mascot were established from suggestion from local, Houston-area schoolchildren. The design for Orbit was derived from more than 10,000 children's drawings submitted to the Astros, with the final design being a composite of the various drawings submitted.[3] The first public appearance of Orbit occurred in January 1990 at Heflin Elementary School.[3]

One of the more notable incidents involving Orbit occurred when umpire Gary Darling ejected the mascot from the game for arguing balls and strikes.[4] In addition to his role as the Astros' mascot, Orbit made a one-time appearance as "Marty the Mariner Martian" during a "Turn Ahead the Clock" promotion at a 1998 Seattle Mariners game.[5]

Orbit was replaced with Junction Jack beginning in the 2000 season, with the team's move from the Astrodome to then Enron Field.[6]

Fuck Junction Jack. hated it. Should have been launched into space along with that son of a bitch cheap Baptist bastard Drayton McLane. Junction Jack, open star hats and pinstripe Astros jerseys belong in hell along with Uncle Drayton.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Superstition predicament:

I own many Astros caps.

Every year on opening day I choose one to wear and continue wearing it until the Astros lose. Then I pick another hat and the cycle continues.

I got a Bring Home the Pennant hat after we won the division and wore it until we lost game three of the ALDS due to the win streak we finished the regular season on. We lost game four and I switched back to the Pennant hat for game 5.

Per superstition, I wore the hat for game 1 of the ALCS, after which I switched to my blue trucker hat. Of course we then reeled off three straight. So I wore it for game 5, and we lost. I then went back to the Pennant hat for game 6.

After we lost game 1 of the World Series, I switched hats and switched again after we lost game 2. Then I went back to the blue trucker, and we won three straight. So, now my question is do I stick with the blue trucker, which has been so lucky over the last three games but may have tapped out its potential based on the ALCS results, or do I go with the Pennant hat that I have worn for each game in which we've closed out a series during the playoffs?

This is a lot a responsibility for one man, and I want to make sure I make the right choice.  

You know what to do...

• Like 1

Maaaaan, I rolled out of bed today in an awful mood after last night, only for my cousin to call me early this morning and out of the fucking blue surprise me and my dad with world series tickets. Game 7 world series is some fucking bucket list shit here, I'm freaking the hell out. OMFG today rules so hard

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I just keep thinking that the difference should be that our lineup can do damage 1-7 and outside of Rendon and Soto, and Turner and Eaton to a much lesser extent, their lineup really doesn't scare me.

It feels like Rendon and Soto bat every fucking inning for them and we have Chorizo and Reddick batting in at least 80% of our half innings. 

• Like 1

Anyone in Houston that wants to go, StubHub ticket prices are at their lowest for the entire series. 

Link to a list of available tickets;  low prices first, WITH the estimated fees added in:  https://www.stubhub.com/houston-astros-tickets-houston-astros-houston-minute-maid-park-10-30-2019/event/104257040/?sort=price+asc&priceWithFees=true

If you want to take your kid, dad, etc. you may never get a chance to see a Game 7 ever again. Call it an early Christmas gift for you and and someone else.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anyone in Houston that wants to go, StubHub ticket prices are at their lowest for the entire series. 

Link to a list of available tickets;  low prices first, WITH the estimated fees added in:  https://www.stubhub.com/houston-astros-tickets-houston-astros-houston-minute-maid-park-10-30-2019/event/104257040/?sort=price+asc&priceWithFees=true

If you want to take your kid, dad, etc. you may never get a chance to see a Game 7 ever again. Call it an early Christmas gift for you and and someone else.

They really are.  I thought that this would be the most expensive.  That said, I'm bad luck.  I'll be sitting it out.

Is anyone else feeling a little bit ragey about the baseball talking heads running naked and screaming into the sky about the interference call? Not only did it not change the outcome of the game, but the call was the absolutely correct call and it's pretty clear in the rule book what the running lane is and when a runner is outside of the running lane and impedes the fielder from receiving the throw, it's interference. If Turner had been a step to the right instead of running on the grass in a straight line, Yuli's glove wouldn't have been knocked off his hand. It's crazy to me that everyone is ignoring that and not understanding what constitutes interference.

• Like 2

I watched Joe Torre's explanation after the game. He was extremely clear in that Turner interfered, it was a judgment call, and that judgement calls are not reviewable/protestable.  He was also clear in that managers have the right to ask for the game to stop to verify the rules were being followed, which is what happened.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I watched Joe Torre's explanation after the game. He was extremely clear in that Turner interfered, it was a judgment call, and that judgement calls are not reviewable/protestable.  He was also clear in that managers have the right to ask for the game to stop to verify the rules were being followed, which is what happened.

I don't think he was actually very clear about the relationship between the 45 ft running lane and interference. It sounded like he was kinda babbling and then finished his thought with "it's a judgment call," which nobody cared to hear without clearer explanation. He should have gone further in depth about Turner running inside the running lane and hitting Gurriel's glove and how it's not incumbent on the thrower to deliver a perfect throw. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harold Reynolds had a really good on field demo with Dero on MLBN showing how it was the right call based on the rule.  Dero cried about the rule, but conceded that it was the right call.  

https://www.mlb.com/video/reynolds-dero-on-turner-call?t=mlb-network

• Like 2

Some random thoughts

• I think the delay when they were deciding whether the play was reviewable affected Harris. Not sure what you can do about that, it sucks
  • I get that Stras was dominating, but I think our approach at the plate last night sucked. We really needed to make Stras work and get to the BP, instead we had a bunch of short innings and 1 pitch ABs
  • It's really annoying that we fucked around and lost game 1 to be in this spot. That was a very winnable game but Cole being off and lack of driving runs in when we had the chances did us in.
  • I feel pretty good about Greinke/Urquidy + all the other arms we can throw at them vs what they can throw at us. Who knows what we see from Scherzer tonight, but we had plenty of opportunities against him in game 1 and just didn't take advantage. Make him work hard every inning and see what happens.