2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

CLARIFICATION
When Diaz gets activated, Straw and Kemp can both stay on the roster if the Astros go with 13 position players. Or Straw can get optioned to Round Rock.
When Diaz and Correa are both on the roster, the only way Kemp stays on the team is with 13 position players.

Thanks for the clarification.
There is your answer:
-Sell low and move Kemp before the deadline if you don’t think you can manipulate the roster for 31 days.
-Or carry 13 position players the first half of August when you don’t need a 5th starter and assume it’ll work itself out the last 17 days. This seems like a safe bet...I could see Reddick or Uncle Mike getting a nice 10 day break the last couple of weeks of August to rest up for the stretch run.

Peacock is already on the 10 day IL.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they moved him to the 60 day at some point. That would make him available towards the end of August. We have 39 on the 40 man roster. Correa will take up that last spot. Any trade additions will require a place.

I’d like to see us pick up a catcher by the deadline. Chirinos has been terrible at the plate for 2+ months and Stassi has been bad his whole career. It was rumored we were interested in bringing Maldonado back before he was moved to the Cubs. I know that position is a black hole league wide but who are some potential targets, starters or backups, who might be available?

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’d like to see us pick up a catcher by the deadline. Chirinos has been terrible at the plate for 2+ months and Stassi has been bad his whole career. It was rumored we were interested in bringing Maldonado back before he was moved to the Cubs. I know that position is a black hole league wide but who are some potential targets, starters or backups, who might be available?

while he has been terrible, as long as they're happy with him defensively/calling games, i don't really care how he hits.  he'll bat 8th with 7-8 actual mlb hitters in the lineup around him.

spring

tuve

bregs

uncle mike

correa

yordan

yuli

chirinos

reddick

yeah, i can live with .210 in that scenario.

if we trade for a catcher, like you said, whoever it is will be garbage.  I mean Stassi blows, but would you rather trade for Francisco Cervelli or Wellington Castillo?  I mean they are all pretty shitty.  

Edited by Scraps

Yeah I’ve been wondering about available catcher options too.
Luhnow’s comments on the pregame yesterday:
“Trading for a catcher: looking at it. Stassi is out of options so he goes if we bring one in. Stassi is part of future plans, so we’d have to consider that. Were in talks to get Maldonado, but traded last week. We’ll still have opportunity to claim DFAs after July 31”

The DFA comment scares me. I really hope that’s not a strategy they are seriously banking on. Waiting on that would get you a guy like...Stassi.

I’m really wondering how seriously they view him as a contributor in future years.

Barring a return to his April form, Chirinos has been who we thought he was. Do you gamble he returns to that in sept and oct? Maybe you do because I don’t know who’s available that is more likely than not going to be a better contributor than Chirinos. To solve the roster crunch, is there a package deal you can do with Stassi and Kemp and another minor leaguer to get an above average catcher? Is that way too much?

After the supposed defensive wizard Maldonado forgetting how to catch last October, I’m not too keen on adding a guy known for his defense. I think you really just need someone that can turn a lineup over and not K 37% of the time (which is what Chirinos has been doing for nearly 2 months now).

And I love me some Tony Kemp....but yeah it is pretty inevitable that he will be gone here shortly.  I just don't have much trust in Diaz/Correa staying healthy the rest of the season so it is gonna suck when we move Kemp and then a week later one of those assholes get put back on the IR.  

Straw is just more valuable at this point anyway.  

Still not looking forward to Kemp moving on.  

The .210 is fine as long as the K percentage is reasonable and the GIDPs are kept to a minimum. Can’t have non-productive rally-killing outs, especially if we get to the World Series and have potentially 4 games at Dodger Stadium again.
Granted that’s putting the cart way out in front of the horse and what I just described is pretty much every catcher in the league, but I’m guessing that’s what Luhnow is weighing now

Not sure if this was posted, but Kaplan on Chirinos’ struggles the other day
(The 37% K rate is since June 16, so not exactly 2 months like I said)

ANAHEIM, Calif. — On the whole, the offensive season Robinson Chirinos has put together is nothing out of the ordinary. He will enter Friday night’s series opener against the Rangers with a .767 OPS, which aligns with his career average (.762) and his 2018 season (.757).

But it’s how he’s reached his .767 — which equates to a 104 OPS+, meaning he’s been four percent better than the major-league average — that’s interesting. He was one of the best offensive catchers through the first two and a half months, only to crater more recently to a point where his extended slump has prompted speculation as to whether the Astros will target a catcher before the July 31 trade deadline.

Chirinos, a 35-year-old playing on a one-year, $5.75 million deal, hasn’t homered in more than a month. In his last 22 games (19 starts) dating to June 15, he’s batted a dismal .149 with a .463 OPS in 81 plate appearances. It’s a stark contrast from his first 53 games (50 starts), when he batted .243 with an .888 OPS.

The strikeouts have mounted. Since June 16, the game after his last homer, he’s struck out in 37 percent of his plate appearances. Before that date, his rate was down to 26.3.

What’s going on? Chirinos explained on Thursday at Angel Stadium that he’s been struggling to repeat the mechanics that the Astros worked with him to implement in spring training — the same mechanics that worked so well for him in the first half of the season. Losing a feel for his rhythm has led to him often not being in a good position to hit and being late on pitches.

“This year, I tried something new hitting with the guys here, especially (Alex) Cintrón and Troy (Snitker),” Chirinos said, referring to the Astros’ two hitting coaches. “I was a guy before who would sit on my back leg and wait for the ball to get to me and (then) use my hands. When I got to spring training, they were preaching to me about attacking the ball. Staying back and using my hands more, making the move and attacking the ball.

“And it’s been hard, man. I mean, I like it. I like the feel of attacking the ball. But it’s been something new that’s been hard to repeat. If you see my year, there have been some good weeks, some OK weeks, and I feel like that’s been the reason why.”

Sometimes, this swing feels natural to Chirinos. Other times, he loses the feel for it.

Dating to when he was with the Rangers, pitchers have attacked Chirinos with elevated fastballs in the middle of the plate and away and breaking balls away. Earlier this season, when he was in rhythm with his mechanics, he was able to more efficiently recognize the high heat and lay off. Pitchers would then have to come into the zone and he would do his damage.

“That’s what I need to get back to doing, to be able to be in a good position to recognize those kind of pitches and get the pitch I can do damage on and hit it hard,” Chirinos said.

Chirinos has been working daily in the batting cage with Cintrón to rediscover his previous form. He felt he has made progress in recent days, beginning with Sunday’s series finale in Arlington. After getting a day off Thursday, Chirinos will be back behind the plate to catch Justin Verlander on Friday night.

But particularly since Chirinos is a bat-first catcher to begin with, his recent struggles could give Houston’s front office more to think about before the trade deadline. It’s perhaps telling that, according to The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal, the Astros had interest in acquiring Martín Maldonado for a second consecutive July before the Royals traded him to the Cubs. Maybe another alternative will emerge as more teams declare themselves deadline buyers or sellers.

Otherwise, the Astros will be counting on a bounce-back from Chirinos.

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

while he has been terrible, as long as they're happy with him defensively/calling games, i don't really care how he hits.  he'll bat 8th with 7-8 actual mlb hitters in the lineup around him.

spring

tuve

bregs

uncle mike

correa

yordan

yuli

chirinos

reddick

Exactly.  The lineup, if/when healthy can easily support a catcher hitting .150.   If they trade for someone, it should be 100% about their defensive capabilities.

37 minutes ago, Scraps said:

if we trade for a catcher, like you said, whoever it is will be garbage.  I mean Stassi blows, but would you rather trade for Francisco Cervelli or Wellington Castillo?  I mean they are all pretty shitty.  

Also, even though Chirinos is shitty right now, he has shown he is capable of a decent hot streak. I think he has a better chance of being productive than any of the other options available.  He needs to get his swing back to the corrected swing he worked on in spring training though. 

Stassi has been horrid at the plate this year...but he's only had 90 PAs, and he was actually exactly a league-average hitter last year over a  much larger sample (250 PAs). He has a .235 BABIP, suggesting he's had some bad luck mixed in there. He's a pretty good to very good defensive catcher, depending on the defensive metrics you use - so the truth is probably somewhere in between. For a backup catcher, I don't see him as a problem. 

As for Chirinos - this season's performance in aggregate is pretty much who he is, and we all knew that when he was signed. As mentioned above, he draws enough walks and hits for enough power to be a good-enough offensive player in this lineup. He isn't as good as he appeared to be in April through mid-June, and he's not as bad as he's been over the last 6 weeks. He's the aggregate of those periods.

We could certainly use an upgrade, but Chirinos/Stassi doesn't figure to be worse than, say, an average catching situation. I'm not sure who we could realistically go get that would be a marked improvement. 

• Like 2

Everybody is overlooking the biggest factor for Chirinos struggling right now.

He is being overused.

He is 35 years old and he is being used more than he ever has in his career.

Here's the percent of games he's played since he became a regular.

• 2014 - 57%
  • 2015 - 48%
  • 2016 - 35%
  • 2017 - 54%
  • 2018 - 69%
  • 2019 - 76%

I don't know the complete story behind his usage while he was a Ranger, if he was injured or a backup or whatever.

I do know that earlier in the year when he was fresh, he was having a really good year. Now he is getting worn down.

For the rest of the year, he should just catch 3 out of 5 games. During September, he should catch even less.

• Like 1

Fucking Angels are doing it again to us this season. Keeping it close enough we can’t shut people down for rest. They need to implode ASAP 

You mean the A’s?
It’s July 22. Relax.
And we could do a lot to help ourselves in that A’s implosion department this week. Our lineup should mash against Bailey and Fiers the next two nights and lean on JV for the sweep. Viola, 9.5 game lead

33 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

We need to hit Bailey hard and often and get to their pen early to continue the wear-down that the Twins started.  Their last starter only went 3.1 innings, taxing their pen.

Bailey is 3-0 with a 1.46 ERA in eight starts against us.

I think it is 4-0

Regardless you are talking about 2007 and then like 2011 and 2012 Houston Astros.  Come on man!

He is 0-0 against this squad with 0.00 era in 0 appearances.  That shit is gonna go up a lot here in a few hours.  

36 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I think it is 4-0

Regardless you are talking about 2007 and then like 2011 and 2012 Houston Astros.  Come on man!

He is 0-0 against this squad with 0.00 era in 0 appearances.  That shit is gonna go up a lot here in a few hours.  

Yeah it’s career starts and I agree, he’s going to get worked tonight.