2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a joke, right?  Teams have been taking flyers on Matt Moore for nearly a decade.  The "if he's healthy" part was a nice touch, too.  

Because the Astros seem to have a way to get those pitchers to stay healthy and perform. McHugh, Morton, Miley. Hmm. They all start with M, too.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Not really.  I'm guessing we come back with:

1. JV

2. Greinke

3. McCullers

4. Urquidy

5. Whitley

And Yordan's in for the whole year.  Tucker replaces Reddick as an everyday player.

There's really no reason the AL shouldn't come down to Astros and Yankees again.

So much fucking this. I watched the first Astros WS on a CRT when we got swept. But it gave me hope. When we won in 2017, I knew Houston was headed in the right direction. This organization has never been to two WS, let alone two in three years. We're going to compete for a long time. The organization finds Verlanders, Coles, and drafts well. Next man up. Sometimes the bats go cold. No discredit to the Nats, they found holes, but they also hit the foul pole twice on HR's. That's baseball. It's a game of failing 2/3 times is a positive. I believe in Hinch and Luhnow. We can question, but it's baseball. If it was easy the yanks would win every year. HTOWN HOLDS DOWN. 

6 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Can somebody explain to me exactly when in the fuck did it become anything other than a routine no-brainer to intentionally walk the other teams best slugger with a man on second and two outs? Has analytics killed that too????

That was mind boggling. 

13 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Can somebody explain to me exactly when in the fuck did it become anything other than a routine no-brainer to intentionally walk the other teams best slugger with a man on second and two outs? Has analytics killed that too????

Yes. The Astros issued 1 IBB the entire season, and it came earlier in this series. Thinking outside the box is not critical for an analytics manager.

And one more thing, MLB needs to go to an automated, computer callef strike zone ASAP. That missed strike call to Soto in the 7th (leading to the walk, exit of Greinke, and the scoring of Soto on the HR) and the strike call to punch out Correa in the 8th were inexcusable. Good thing is that I heard a couple of interviews with Rob Manfred this week and he basically said it's inevitable. They need to fast track that shit.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

And one more thing, MLB needs to go to an automated, computer callef strike zone ASAP. That missed strike call to Soto in the 7th (leading to the walk, exit of Greinke, and the scoring of Soto on the HR) and the strike call to punch out Correa in the 8th were inexcusable. Good thing is that I heard a couple of interviews with Rob Manfred this week and he basically said it's inevitable. They need to fast track that shit.

That happened a lot on both sides though so who knows how that would have turned out overall for the series.  Considering they were hitting better the extras they would of got would have helped them more.

Edited by Hook1997

9 minutes ago, Larry Sellers said:

I think Correa is at his best when he hits opposite field.

Exactly...he just didn't do it this WS at all.  There are tow ways to get out of a slump: fuck a really fat and ugly girl or start hitting pitches the other way.  It just seemed that they all wanted to hit bombs and admire them rather than take what is given them and win going from station to station.  They can absolutely win that way if they actually tried it.  It's the way WS have been won for decades, especially against a team with good pitching like the Nats.

I'm just livid rethinking it through, Hinch should never have pulled Greinke, but especially to put in Harris into the same situation a day after blowing game 6 in an almost Lidge like fashion.  WTH! 

Hinch had done an awesome job as a whole managing the bullpen in the last 2 months, often defying our expectations in each situation.  But tonight's decision cost the team a ring.  It feels like a Jack Pardee moment.  Of course every manager gets second guessed, but overall I feel like 2017 was the Astros and Hinch lucking out and the other years more typical, than vice versa.  

I'm fine if the Mets want to nab him.  

34 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm just livid rethinking it through, Hinch should never have pulled Greinke, but especially to put in Harris into the same situation a day after blowing game 6 in an almost Lidge like fashion.  WTH! 

Hinch had done an awesome job as a whole managing the bullpen in the last 2 months, often defying our expectations in each situation.  But tonight's decision cost the team a ring.  It feels like a Jack Pardee moment.  Of course every manager gets second guessed, but overall I feel like 2017 was the Astros and Hinch lucking out and the other years more typical, than vice versa.  

I'm fine if the Mets want to nab him.  

This is a very bad take.

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Here's why we lost the World Series. 

October: 137 LOB, 7.6 per game.

WS: 60 LOB, 8.5 per game.

Yep.  Gotta score runs.

This score some early and then disappear shit needs to be addressed.  It happened multiple times, and for all of the Astros' pitching prowess, the Nats still found ways to generate runs late.  Houston didn't hold serve.

Massive choke job.  Disappointed in some of the decisions made during the game.  Frankly I am surprised the Astros made it to game 7 of the world series with the shitty hitting that they had all through the post season and with JV just not being as dominate as expected.  One of the best teams ever put together and this is the result.  Fucking shame.

• Like 1