NFL owners vote to make pass interference reviewable

Machinator

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024371/article/owners-make-pass-interference-noncalls-reviewable

"The NFL owners voted on Tuesday evening to approve a rule proposal that allows for offensive and defensive pass interference, including non-calls, to be subject to review.

Coaches can challenge those calls in the first 28 minutes of each half. In the final two minutes of each half, those calls will be subject to a booth review.

This rule change is only for the 2019 season."

6 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Do  the same with Holding.

Ya wanna wreck the game? Do it with vigor.

I'd imagine they have metrics on that, if they have metrics on PI calls and non-calls and their impact on game outcomes.

From ESPN

Over the past three seasons, defensive pass interference has cost teams an average of 15.2 yards per call. Those fouls total 9 percent of all penalties. But because of the yardage involved, they represent 70 percent of penalties with the largest impact on the league's internal version of a win probability statistic, according to documents distributed to committee members this winter. Of the 19 pass interference calls that most impacted win probability during that period, 13 occurred in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime.

The league's internal analysis also examined the impact of pass interference fouls that were later graded to be incorrect by the league's officiating department. Between 2016 and 2018, 10.5 percent of incorrect calls were for defensive pass interference. But 24 of those plays ranked among the top 50 in impact on win probability. In other words, 10.5 percent of all incorrect calls represented nearly 50 percent of the incorrect calls that most hindered (or helped) a team's chances to win

Disclaimer - I still have strong feelings regarding the Saints/Rams game and this incremental transparency improvement will increase my interest in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Man, the game is already full of shit, but that’s gonna make it really bad.

I disagree. Get the fucking call right. I don’t want to hear a full offseason of excuses from saints fans, or any other teams fans because of an obvious blown call. The NFL doesn’t want that. It’s not good for the league. 

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I disagree. Get the fucking call right. I don’t want to hear a full offseason of excuses from saints fans, or any other teams fans because of an obvious blown call. The NFL doesn’t want that. It’s not good for the league. 

Not good for the league?

Why do you say this?

1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

Not good for the league?

Why do you say this?

it really doesn’t make a difference to something like the bottom line, but why would you want to have to answer that question in every press conference you have? Why would you want your coaches to be put in a situation where they have to answer a question about an obvious blown call. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t think an extra few minutes to get the call right is a big deal. It’s better than the alternative.

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

it really doesn’t make a difference to something like the bottom line, but why would you want to have to answer that question in every press conference you have? Why would you want your coaches to be put in a situation where they have to answer a question about an obvious blown call. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t think an extra few minutes to get the call right is a big deal. It’s better than the alternative.

Apologies, I just read the post you were answering.  We're in agreement.

More accountability on officials, how do you "miss" a call like they did?

Too many rules/reviews. Good enough for more commercials, bad enough for fans to sit around waiting for the next play. Cut back on rules and reviews and fine officials for boneheaded miss calls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Dewey said:

More accountability on officials, how do you "miss" a call like they did?

Too many rules/reviews. Good enough for more commercials, bad enough for fans to sit around waiting for the next play. Cut back on rules and reviews and fine officials for boneheaded miss calls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

See that’s the thing. I can understand how they miss a call in real time. Everything is happening so fast, and they’re human. It was just indefensible that you couldn’t challenge this before. But it always takes a situation like last years nfc championship game any rules are changed. If that were a week 3 regular season game, we’d still be sitting here today saying you should be allowed to challenge PIs

I have no problem with it not being reviewable, but I think it's ridiculous that it's a spot foul.  I would rather them just make it 15 yards and keep the game moving.  They need to streamline the review process.  Nobody needs to go under the hood.  Hire some additional booth guys to review and put them on a clock.  If they can't come to a conclusion in so much time the call on the field stands.

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I have no problem with it not being reviewable, but I think it's ridiculous that it's a spot foul.  I would rather them just make it 15 yards and keep the game moving.  They need to streamline the review process.  Nobody needs to go under the hood.  Hire some additional booth guys to review and put them on a clock.  If they can't come to a conclusion in so much time the call on the field stands.

IMO the spot foul part makes coaches just fling it up there to try to get a call. Why bother making up ground on 2nd an 20 when you can fling it 50 yds downfield and get PI called? I like the college rule of 15 yds. Its punitive but not absurdly so.

2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

IMO the spot foul part makes coaches just fling it up there to try to get a call. Why bother making up ground on 2nd an 20 when you can fling it 50 yds downfield and get PI called? I like the college rule of 15 yds. Its punitive but not absurdly so.

Agree.  Even if teams weren't using it as a bailout, the idea of a 40+yard penalty being assessed over hand jockeying has always been ridiculous.  Hell a DL can dropkick a QB right in the kneecap and get penalized less.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

it'll reverse this

Just as it will reverse this

NoFlag.gif

Sean Payton actually pointed out the Steelers play to the media when asked about this rule change. It was refreshing to see a coach point out when shitty officiating helped his team even though the same coach basically had a Super Bowl appearance affected by the call the new rule is most directly addressing.

Of course, there were two missed calls on the Rams play. Targeting was also missed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I care more about the fact that the league has an obvious agenda to get the matchups and stories it wants and it referees games accordingly.  This rule is a PR move, and sure, it would have kept the Saints from getting fucked on that particular play. But there would have been others, because there's no way Goodell and Co were gonna let the smallest market in the NFL into the Super Bowl over the second-largest market who just got a new team and needed to create a fan base and sell a shit ton of gear to them.

The riggage in the NFL may actually be worse than in the NBA.  I'm losing interest fast.

• 2 months later...