Romo wants $10M per year

smwhorn

4 hours ago, hookem48 said:

I like it when he guesses wrong on a play but doesn't shut up long enough for anyone to notice.

He'd be so money on the politics board.

Like Madden, he's enjoyable because of his insight, but Madden soon became a goofy character as he got further away from actually coaching. We are about 7 or 8 years away from Romo making goofy sound effects and passing out turkey legs on Thanksgiving Day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

He'd be so money on the politics board.

Like Madden, he's enjoyable because of his insight, but Madden soon became a goofy character as he got further away from actually coaching. We are about 7 or 8 years away from Romo making goofy sound effects and passing out turkey legs on Thanksgiving Day.

Romo was goofy from day one of his broadcasting career. Yelling at the screen like adolescent and telling the audience what the play was going to be. His constant yelling is cringe worthy. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Absolutely yes he is. I presume Romo will have some video game equivalent in his 10th year of broadcasting. I wonder if Madden played if the Pebble Beach Pro-Am or PGA event in his first year of broadcasting. No?

o3ke7q8iha95.gif

6 hours ago, Nivek said:

Herbie is a dipshit but is mostly white noise, and he isn’t horrible.

PapadolousiakisazabadkeannssakekkdUSCisthegreatestahdcnaskeddmds has an irritating voice that takes longer to fade into background noise.

Romo is good. I hope they keep him.

the weird thing is I like Petrol Papadockers

he at least has an opinion on things and he does not come off super biased to me like say a dick sucking herbie

I like Troy Aikman a lot personally, but his announcing does nothing for me he is really dry and boring and I am glad he does not bore me with a lot of "when I used to play" (because from him it would probably be boring), but Romo does show how a former player can add insight

we all agree herbie sucks cocks

my favorite is the Hawaii guy especially late at night after a really long day of football watching

30 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I like Romo in the booth and if he brings in the wimmenz and other casual fans he’s probably getting paid.

Has this been substantiated that he is bringing fans to that time slot he is broadcasting that would not normally watch if it wasn't for him? He's been doing it 2 years. I'm sure they can conclude this by now. Not asking in a snarky manner, I am just wondering. I am not a big fan of him but can see why he would appeal to women and casuals.

But the NFL sells itself. And Romo broadcasts the top matchups since he is on the first team crew. Those games are already going to get good ratings.

It's the same as Collinsoworth. So many hate him. But his games get great ratings not because of him but because it's always a top tier matchup. And it's also the only game on at the time.

Edited by Vic Mackey

18 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Also, 

I personally think Cris is the best color guy out there. I’m sure that opinion will get ridiculed because he’s apparently more polarizing than Romo. As polarizing as Romo was as QB, it seems the only people that don’t like him in the booth reside in Houston. 

Cris provides insight at an enthusiasm level between Aikman, who can be milquetoast, and Romo, who has a tendency to geek out like he’s on speed. But he’s more entertaining than Cris, which is why I’ll tune into games I otherwise wouldn’t.  I won’t do that with SNF. 

All 3 of those color guys are excellent, as is Joel Klatt. They absolutely add to the experience. Anyone who claims broadcasters can’t add to or detract from a game are nuts. I cannot watch a game that Mowins, Galindo, Sean McDonough (or Witten/Booger) do. I’ll literally change the channel, or mute it and turn on Way if the Horns are playing. 

I'm not sure I agree that he's the best, but Collingsworth is great.  I initially thought he was a smug little shit when he joined Inside the NFL along with football greats Len Dawson and Nick Buoniconti.  But he's grown on me over the years and I think he's among the elite broadcasters today.

20 hours ago, Deej said:

Madden soon became a goofy character as he got further away from actually coaching. We are about 7 or 8 years away from Romo making goofy sound effects and passing out turkey legs on Thanksgiving Day.

Madden was great because he was the original guy doing that sort of schtick. Keith Jackson was also loud and excitable at the time and people loved him. Later, Berman came along and then lots of ESPN guys did it (I'm counting Sports Center as well as game broadcasts). That schtick became overplayed, Madden and Jackson grew senile, and they stuck around way too long.

Now, there are so many games televised that there are way too many terrible broadcasters and they insist on talking way too much about way too many things that take away from the actual game. I need a lot more detail on the radio than on TV.

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Only Kevin Harlan deserves 10,000,000 to call a game. I wouldnt even be upset if he made that as long as he called every game possible including super bowls for fox, nbc,cbs, the final four and nba finals.

I wish we could get Harlan and Romo together somehow tbh.  Harlan is incredible

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Only Kevin Harlan deserves 10,000,000 to call a game. I wouldnt even be upset if he made that as long as he called every game possible including super bowls for fox, nbc,cbs, the final four and nba finals.

I want to smack Kevin Harlan right in the fucking mouth. He does the radio broadcast (or he used to, not sure if he still does) for the NCAA hoops tourney. He always makes up some pithy comment after the title game and they are retarded. "U bet it's UCONN!" or "Nothing could be finer than a championship for Carolina!". Fuck that guy.

I always thought Summerall was better than Madden. "Montana. Rice. Touchdown." I like Romo. As far as "Does he bring more eyes to the broadcast?", I think so. People are constantly tweeting when he predicts the plays, I can't believe people aren't tuning in after they see it. 

Also, that chick on ESPN has a weird accent but her voice doesn't bother me. It's almost like that annoying chick at work that you don't like, but after 4 or 5 years, you think about what it would be like to bone the shit out of her.

On March 27, 2019 at 10:55 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

Interesting. I had no idea announcers made that much money.

What's his leverage?  He's pretty good as a commentator but how many wins above replacement does the greatest commentator in history give you?  My guess is not many.  Would you stop watching if he wasn't on there?  Nope.  Would you watch a game you otherwise wouldn't, or watch a different game, just to hear him?  Doubtful.

Back in the day Dandy Don and Howard Cosell was must watch tv. Didn't care who was playing. Of course it was Monday Night Football  when every game was not aired. 

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Romo better than Madden? Lmao!! Romo isn't better at Madden in anything that relates to football. Who cares about his golf "career". Madden is a legend. Super Bowl winning coach. Romo isn't a legend in any form or fashion.

I like him better than Madden.

Tony doesn't have to try so hard...

38 minutes ago, WBT said:

Romo comes off as an annoying, try-hard dork to me.  His play predictions are so vague as to be pretty meaningless and yet they still aren't all that accurate.

Guess I hear it differently.

he calls the game, gives analysis, and a crapton of the time nails it before it happens at key moments in the game.

I don't hear him trying too hard at all.   Sometimes I forget it's even him-  which is a compliment from hell for any announcer, IMHO.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

What?

What...  what? 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know my opinion isn’t popular but I find Sean dopey and fraudulent. I can’t listen to him. 

Fruadulent?  In what way?  

What mean things has SM said about the Horns? 

Harlans voice/inflection are nails on a chalkboard to me, Eagle & Spanarkle are a solid pair, watch and listen to them during Nets broadcasts.  One I like nowadays is Spiro Dedes(sp?). 

I might add, McDonough, Bilas and Raftery were much watch tv during the Maui Classic. 

Edited by Underdog

Romo is a shooting star in the commentary world. And he'll get paid like it.

Aikmen is getting like 7.5 mil a year I heard, so 10 mil for Romo after 2-3 years is probably crazy, but maybe just a bargaining tool to get his rate higher.  There is no doubt he's a draw and people to want to listen to him.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Harlans voice/inflection are nails on a chalkboard to me, Eagle & Spanarkle are a solid pair, watch and listen to them during Nets broadcasts.  One I like nowadays is Spiro Dedes(sp?). 

I might add, McDonough, Bilas and Raftery were much watch tv during the Maui Classic. 

jfc. harlans voice is iconic. i couldnt tell eagles voice from spiros.

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

I always thought Summerall was better than Madden. "Montana. Rice. Touchdown." 

They had different jobs so it’s not really a fair comparison, but Summerall was what made their pairing for me too.

This thread has been all about color commentators, but there hasn’t been a great play-by-play guy since Summerall. They all talk too much, and half the time it’s not even about the game-it’s something off the field or some narrative they’re building.

Summerall realized that on tv the picture speaks for itself and basically just summarized what happened. He was the best.

Edited by formermav43

They had different jobs so it’s not really a fair comparison, but Summerall was what made their pairing for me too.
This thread has been all about color commentators, but there hasn’t been a great play-by-play guy since Summerall. They all talk too much, and half the time it’s not even about the game-it’s something off the field or some narrative they’re building.
Summerall realized that on tv the picture speaks for itself and basically just summarized what happened. He was the best.
It's funny reading Instagram comments when old clips show up from games that Summerall called. This younger generation can't fathom how he called plays. They are so used to the play by play guys these days having big personalities.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:08 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

Honestly I had no idea that Phil Simms was a horrible announcer until the internet told me.

He was fucking horrible.

Any announcer that has you MUTE the TV or change the channel is fucking horrible. Dick Vitale & Phil Simms fall into this category.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:30 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Romo better than Madden? Lmao!! Romo isn't better at Madden in anything that relates to football. Who cares about his golf "career". Madden is a legend. Super Bowl winning coach. Romo isn't a legend in any form or fashion.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, Thetexashammer said:

Madden was OK but I got sick as hell of those eight legged turkeys.

Madden was painful to listen to his last 2 to 5 years. He had become a caricature of himself.

Also, Madden made a fuck load more money at FOX than he did at CBS.

16 hours ago, WBT said:

Romo comes off as an annoying, try-hard dork to me.  His play predictions are so vague as to be pretty meaningless and yet they still aren't all that accurate.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this take.

• 10 months later...