2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

sign kimbrel.  like now.

Atlanta radio guys this morning (well one of the co-hosts) was so pissed, and this was before the shoulder surgery was announced. Nothing but callers lined up agreeing with him. Apparently there was a Craig Kimbrel chant last night in the park.

20 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

If, and it's a huge if, the Braves make the playoffs this year I think we'll remember the night of April 20th when the Braves rallied for 5 runs in the 9th inning and my goddamn MVP Ronald Acuna delivered the final blow in a comeback win.

I turned that shit off and assumed they just lost until I checked the score an hour ago.

Donaldson heating up tonight too!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26587688/one-year-ronald-acuna-jr-ready-claim-best-player-baseball-title

Long before radar and camera systems that log every imaginable measurement became necessities at minor league affiliates across baseball, they were like Christmas morning toys to those who understood where the game was going. And in the Atlanta Braves organization, the most curious minds in the front office wanted to know whether their eyes were telling them the truth. That the 17-year-old who stood 6 feet tall and weighed 180 pounds really did hit the ball like grown men five inches taller and 75 pounds heavier.

A Trackman unit, used to evaluate players, was sent to Danville, Virginia, where the kid was spending the last three weeks of the 2015 season in rookie ball. About a year earlier, Ronald Acuña Jr. signed with the Braves for $100,000. He was supposed to be a Kansas City Royal, but the Braves swooped in on international signing day, July 2, with a heftier bonus offer. Atlanta soon recognized its fortune. The entire industry, which devoted tens of millions of dollars annually to teenagers from Latin America, had whiffed on Acuña. He was the Braves' little secret.

Youngest athletes with $100 million contract

Year Player Age
In MLB/NHL/NBA/NFL history
2017 Connor McDavid 20
2019 Ronald Acuña Jr. 21
2018 Devin Booker 21
1997 Kevin Garnett 21
2016 Giannis Antetokounmpo 21

And after Danville, Atlanta knew he wouldn't remain a secret too much longer. The hands didn't just look fast. The sound when he made contact wasn't just loud. There were actual numbers to contextualize who Acuña was. The Braves combed data from batting practice. The ball was leaving his bat at 110 mph-plus. In games, triple-digit exit velocities were common. Acuña was essentially a senior in high school whose data resembled that of a big leaguer.

So for those who had that early look behind the curtain, the proof of his abilities is in everything that has come since. The next year, when other teams got hip to Acuña. And the year after, when he leapt from Class A to Triple-A, getting better every step of the way, and the baseball world understood how special he could be. Then last year, when he arrived in the major leagues still unable to legally buy a drink and exceeded expectations that couldn't have been much higher.

And now, a year after his debut, when he has guaranteed himself 1,000 times that original signing bonus and established himself as everything the Braves thought he could be and more, and all that's left for him to capture are the game's crown jewels -- the MVP trophy, the World Series ring and the title that can be held by just one person at a time.

Best Player in Baseball.

r533190_608x342_16-9.jpg
In one year, Ronald Acuna Jr. has proved that he might be the heir to Mike Trout's title of Best Player in Baseball.

Some facts about the game. The ball weighs approximately five ounces. The mound is 60 feet, 6 inches from home plate. There is always a matchup between a pitcher and a batter. Mike Trout is the Best Player in Baseball.

The first three are written into baseball's rules. At this point, the fourth might as well be. Since he arrived in the major leagues for good at 20 years old, Trout has worn that designation like a Miss America sash. It is on him everywhere he goes, and he must live up to its standard daily. And for eight years running, Trout has. At some point, though, something will catch up. It could be age. It could be opponents. It could even be someone. And if it is someone, Acuña stands as good a chance as anyone.

His all-around game mirrors Trout's as much as any young player's. By the time Trout abdicates, some of his contemporaries -- Francisco Lindor, Mookie Betts, Nolan Arenado, Christian Yelich, Javier Baez -- might have aged out of contention. Of the other candidates who bring skills and youth -- Alex Bregman, Cody Bellinger, Shohei Ohtani, Juan Soto -- none combines the precociousness of both quite like Acuña. Look at last year. He became the seventh player to hit 25 home runs in a season before his 21st birthday -- and the fastest to reach that mark, in 92 games. The other six on the list: Mel Ott, Frank Robinson, Al Kaline, Orlando Cepeda, Eddie Mathews and Tony Conigliaro. The first five are Hall of Famers.

Acuña became the youngest player to homer in five straight games. And he tied Ott for the most home runs in a month for a player 20 or younger with 11 in August. He was the youngest player in baseball history to receive a nine-figure contract, when he agreed three weeks ago to an eight-year deal that includes a pair of club options and, remarkably, was seen throughout the industry as an extreme bargain despite guaranteeing Acuña $100 million.

Everything is seen through the prism of Acuña's youth because what he's doing is so extraordinary for someone this young. Baseball is a sport that never has shied away from promoting its youngest players, so for Acuña to position himself amid that group -- and to do it as consistently as he has -- speaks to the scouting community's belief that he is Trout's heir.

His start to 2019 has done nothing to dissuade them. In the second half last season, Acuña hit .322/.403/.625 with 19 home runs. Thus far this year, he is hitting .307/.429/.600 with six home runs. Yes: That's a 1.028 OPS in the second half of 2018 and a 1.029 OPS so far in 2019. Acuña's walk rate is up 40 percent this year. He's hitting more home runs per plate appearance. He's one of the 15 fastest players in the game. He could play center field, and play it well, if not for Ender Inciarte, who for the last three years has played it extremely well for Atlanta.

He is everything everyone wants in a baseball player. And he turned 21 four months ago.

Here's the cynical part -- and there needs to be a cynical part because Ronald Acuña Jr. is human, and because baseball is baseball, and because failure is so inherent in both, and because it is even more acute when the standard is Best Player In Baseball.

Acuña is from a baseball family, and nearly everyone in it, from his father Ronald Sr. to his cousins Kelvim and Alcides Escobar, was done around age 30. Maybe it was genes, or maybe it was something entirely different for each that has nothing whatsoever to do with Acuña, who he is and how he intends to combat whatever befell his relations.

It is true, too, that Acuña is young and rich, and the marriage of those two qualities can be complicated and problematic, and that the highway to superstardom that he hopped aboard last season is rife with traps. Believing natural talent is enough and ignoring the value of hard work and not recognizing the necessity of evolution are chief among the traps. Mike Trout is not the Best Player In Baseball because he's the most talented. He's the Best Player In Baseball because he is the most talented and he snuffs out whatever minuscule weaknesses he might have before anyone else can find them.

Acuña is lucky enough to already have something that Trout never has had: a representative young core surrounding him. One of Acuña's best friends, second baseman Ozzie Albies, will be in Atlanta for the next nine seasons after signing a deal that is even more team-friendly than Acuña's. Freddie Freeman is the franchise linchpin at first base. Dansby Swanson is finally looking like the shortstop of the future. The Braves' young pitching talent borders on unfair. Cristian Pache and Drew Waters, both 20, aren't quite Acuña, but they are each at Double-A and look like the respective center and right fielders of the future, potential All-Stars themselves.

At the heart of it all is Acuña. He is that special, that different, spoken of in reverential terms from wizened baseball men who aren't prone to hyperbole. And it's only a year in. At the one-year mark of his career, Trout was just getting into a groove, showing that his struggles as a 19-year-old were anomalous and that his talent really was transcendent. Acuña never tripped. He was good from the jump and great soon thereafter.

Can he be more? The kid hitting those 110 mph shots in rookie ball is now a man hitting them even harder. He's already one of the best. And it might just be a matter of time before you can strike "one of" from that assessment.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I honestly don't know if the GM is shitty or ownership just doesn't give a fuck enough to do anything but the bullpen pissed away another game and they aren't going to do anything about it.

The players just need to stop giving a fuck at this point, something has to happen. This is one of the worst bullpens we've had probably in the past three decades. I was at a bar and got so damn pissed I just paid my tab and left after Minter gave up the save. His ass should be coaching middle school, he shouldn't even be sniffing the grass in a major league ballpark.

11. Atlanta Braves

WIN FORECAST: 86.4 | CHANGE FROM APRIL: -0.7

DIVISION%: 41.5 | PLAYOFF%: 50.8

PENNANT%: 8.2 | TITLE%: 3.6

Biggest fix: The Braves are 29th in relief bWAR. Obviously, if Atlanta is going to win the National League East again, that number has to climb about 20 spots. We know that the Braves have a lot of talented young arms in the system, something that helped them navigate heavy bullpen workloads last season en route to the division crown. However, with youth often comes inconsistency, and so far, no other teams' relievers have walked more batters than Atlanta's (71). If this keeps up, how can the Braves not pursue Craig Kimbrel a month from now?

Potential solution: Kimbrel

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/26686161/mlb-stock-watch-all-30-teams-decide-trade-deadline

no surprise for us

Nevertheless, if Kimbrel insists on a large multi-year deal that hinders the future, I don't know if I want the Braves to take it.

Edited by pacman

Aside from one moment of magic from Ronnie they were largely non-competitive in the division series last year against the Dodgers and didn't get much better this offseason so it's not surprising the Dodgers are wiping the floor with them so far in this series.

Why does Minter always suck when I see him? Just watched last night's game. Not only does he load the bases but when the opportunity arises to make the second out at home he muffs the fielding and follows with allowing a base hit. SMDH.

2 minutes ago, Fuga said:

And has already gone yard.

If we want him to stay up here who goes down?

Or trade Camargo, Culberson, Joyce?

Too soon to consider such shit?

Camargo is the only one who has trade value I think, but I'd prefer to keep him because of his upside and Culberson because of his versatility.

They also have a really interesting situation with Ender. Ender is still a 3 WAR a year player because of his defense, but his offensive struggles have been extended into this year and as long as Donaldson is healthy the only place to play Riley is left field. That's classified as a good problem to have I suppose.

Wow, been out the whole night and didn't know Riley was playing until earlier today and then found out he homered just now. It seems like damn near every other first MLB game for a Brave has been a homer the past ten years.

17 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

The Cardinals manager put Jordan Hicks in down 10-2 in the 8th inning to pitch to Touki Toussaint. Touki hit the ball to the warning track. If it had gone out that would've been my favorite home run of all time.

Better than Belliard's off a legit pitcher? (pretty much rhetorical - your post just reminded me of that magical moment)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuga said:

Better than Belliard's off a legit pitcher? (pretty much rhetorical - your post just reminded me of that magical moment)

It's funny you mentioned it because I tweeted last night if Touki had hit that ball out it would've been the funniest Braves homer since Belliard. My older brother LOVED Raffy and was away at college when he hit so I excited called and left him a voice mail because he wasn't home and missed it.