2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

On 5/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, BigOrange1 said:

definitely a fun team.  really wish they could acquire an ace though.  

Kuechel and Kimbrel would work. I don’t think Kuechel is an “ace” anymore, but I’d like adding a bonafide vet to the staff. 

Acuña and Albies. Don't think I've ever seen two players consistently have as much fun. The Wednesday game was hilarious when they were giving each other shit from 2nd base to deep center field.

And, yep, Riley brings magic.

Edited by Fuga
can't type for shit

Maybe it's because we have our own thread, but it's insane to me to see Riley get so little coverage. He's had 5 homers in what, 9 or 10 games? And the dude drove in the winning run yesterday after tying it up earlier.

I don’t love Kuechel as far as being as productive as what he wants to get paid, but with Fried hitting a wall recently, Gausman totally sucking and Soroka never throwing more than 153 innings in a season, I think he’s a great addition. 

Maybe his veteran leadership will help Newcomb, Touki and the other young guns get over that hump as well. 

39 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

gausman is doing everything he can to lose his spot to keuchel here in a few days.

Everyone but Newcomb who pitched last night should be DFA. Even if we somehow win the NL-East again, I don't see us getting out of the NLDS because of this pitching staff.

Winkler has minor league options so he's probably gone for either Keuchel or Minter when he comes back. The other spot will be between outrighting Blevins or faking an injury to Gausman to try and let him figure things out in the minors on a "rehab" stint. 

Hopefully for Minter it's just that the car accident he injured himself in this spring cut short his spring training and they brought him back too soon to start the season. Since being optioned to Triple A he's been scoreless in 8 of 9 appearances and only walked two guys. He's only had three clean appearances which is very much the AJ Minter experience so I'm not expecting him to be a lights out closer, but hopefully he can come back as a productive member of the bullpen.

If Soroka's productivity doesn't fall off a cliff you have Soroka and Keuchel 1-2. Teheran has mastered the art of pitching ugly not allowing more than one ER in his last seven starts. Fried has his ups and downs. Who the hell knows what to expect from Folty. As far as the bullpen goes, Newk, Touki, Minter and Jackson provide a core and AA said they're likely going to add a bullpen arm closer to the trade deadline.

As for getting out of the NLDS with this staff, well if we win the division we're going to avoid the Dodgers which is nice. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Head into the Phillies series with a 1.5 game lead. Teheran has gone eight straight starts with one ER allowed or fewer but hasn't gone more than six innings in any of them. I have nicknamed him "Seis Bueno"

Crazy that Teheran is mostly carrying the starting pitching this year. Finally looking like the guy everyone thought he would be.

The past two games have shown what this team is: incredibly resilient, thunderously talented on offense and extremely flawed on the mound. It's really fucking frustrating because I truly believe this lineup is good enough to win a World Series, but the pitching staff isn't. I still believe they could be ok with Keuchel and Soroka at the top of the rotation, but the bullpen is a disaster and they don't have a closer.

• Like 1