2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

In town for the weekend and went to the destruction of the Phillies today. This is a fantastic ballpark. The sightlines were great. We were in 214 in the shade. The Braves Walk of Fame on the third base side is so well done. Loved the area around it too. That was one of the most enjoyable visits to an away ballpark that I've ever had. Crowd was really into it even with the hot summer afternoon sun. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Markakis and Riley homering in the 8th, it's uncanny how clutch this team is after the 7th inning.

Remember those Mike Minor, Tim Hudson, and Tommy Hanson (RIP) years where they pitched beautifully only for our them to lose the game 2-3 or 3-4? Since last year it's been so damn refreshing to see this team get hits when they needed to. The pitching still needs work, but god damn do these guys know how to scrap for a win.

I was following the game on my phone at that point, just refreshing for updates. I think the number of outs reported was incorrect at some point because I saw the runner at 3rd was no longer there and the score was still 4-3. Wish we would have swept them, but yeah this team is in great shape record wise at the break.

Finally, Aug. 30, on Freddie Freeman Funko pop night, I will see my first Braves home game.

Tremendously proud of the team this season. Let's hope they can hold on. Either way, feel they are still ahead of the rebuild schedule.

Edited by pacman

8 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

What top of the rotation starter are you expecting as a realistic option? 

They have money to burn, go get Greinke without giving up a lot of prospects. Arizona needs those next couple of years off it’s books. Of course that’s not going to happen because Liberty Media sucks and is cheap. Outside of that it’s probably Bumgarner and hope you get the post season version of him. They also should give San Diego a call and see how much of their soul they would have to sell to get Yates.

Edited by Brew

Over his past 32 games Donaldson is hitting .297 with 14 home runs and a 1.153 OPS. He's worth every penny they're paying him this year and with Riley's expected regression it's not entirely crazy to think about a two year extension (although I wouldn't do it if it inhibits getting pitching help this offseason)

An interesting twist is the Giants playing well. They're 2.5 games back in the Wild Card race so they may be reluctant to sell which I think is crazy. They are unlikely to make the playoffs so not getting anything for Bumgarner or Will Smith would be bad for them, but those guys may be off the table. 

Marcus Stroman and Ken Giles are names that have been floating around the past few days and there were rumors shot down that the Blue Jays wouldn't want to deal with AA. 

2003 is the best comp. 2nd in MLB in runs, 2nd in batting average, 3rd in home runs. 6 players had 20+ home runs: Javy Lopez (43), Gary Sheffield (39), Andruw Jones (36), Chipper (27), Vinny Castilla (22), Marcus Giles (21). Lopez, Sheffield and the Jones boys all had 100+ RBI. That team flamed out in the NLDS because, in a fun twist for the Braves franchise at the time, the pitching wasn't that good. It was Maddux and a whole lot of blech. Smoltz was the closer that year.

• Like 1

The Braves get Chris Martin, Shane Greene and Mark Melancon for Kolby Allard, Joey Wentz, Travis Demeritte, Tristan Beck and Dan Winkler.

Allard was a big time prospect two years ago but has fallen off dramatically this year and was bad in a small sample size in Atlanta. Wentz is good but wasn't likely to make it to Atlanta for a couple of years. Demeritte has power but is position blocked (particularly because I have a suspicion the Braves are going to try to sign him to a two year deal).

The Braves revamped their bullpen and the cost was as minimal as you could've hoped for. AA really did work these last two days.

This season hinges on Foltynewicz coming back and being useful. IF, and I understand that's a big IF, he comes back in September and re-establishes himself as a major league pitcher I could be talked into the Braves being legit contenders with Soroka, Keuchel and Folty as the starters, a revamped good bullpen and this lineup. Of course, these bullpen acquisitions could be duds and Folty is a headcase so I'm not banking on it, but his potential is so much higher than Teheran who, to his credit, made arguably his two best starts of the year against the Nats when the Braves really needed it.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:53 PM, BigOrange1 said:

definitely addressed the bullpen. 

On 7/31/2019 at 3:30 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

The Braves revamped their bullpen

The names have changed.....the results, not so much. 

Edited by EZ$

Melancon has been fine. Martin made one bad pitch to Sano and that was after getting extremely unlucky with a bloop on a good pitch with two outs. I'll take the hit for that one because I was at the game Monday and opted not to go Tuesday so clearly that one was my fault.

Greene has been a trainwreck and hopefully it's not the beginning of a significant regression only a mild one and he'll get better. To add insult that trade, the Braves actually could use Demeritte for a short period because Riley is going on the IL and Swanson isn't quite ready to comeback and they don't have a good option on the 40 man roster to come up and fill the extra position player spot right now.