2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

LET'S FUCKING GO BOYS, I AM eating the biggest pile of shit for doubting this team after that first game loss

And literally, it is shitty. I've been following the game on my phone the entire time since I was out with my wife and kid earlier and I knew I'd probably only be stressed as fuck watching this on TV (basically thought if we didn't win today that there's no way we'd win tomorrow). I'm seeing them tie it up and take the lead after we finish dinner and I'm getting the bath ready for my daughter. My wife leaves to get groceries, I'm doing a poor job bathing my daughter since I'm stressed just constantly refreshing the MLB site and this page as Melcancon tries to close it out.

I see he gets that crucial second out and I go to try and record the rest of it on the TV for the post-game stuff, I hear my daughter crying and see she's taken a huge hard shit and thrown it onto the floor next to the tub. She's done this once before and I figured it might happen tonight because she's acted like she's been constipated all evening. So I just spent the last 20 minutes cleaning that up with some bleach and finally putting her to bed and had a huge excited sigh of relief to see the BRAVES FUCKING DID IT.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Congrats on the win, hell of a game and awesome finish.

Take your pick of condiment, but I’m partial to the chili lime one.

CEVICHE_foodfireblog-.jpg

Cue BV making a snide comment in 3... 2... 1...

It's funny that my typical go to for hot sauce since I moved back to Georgia (and have lost my acclimation to very spicy food) is Cholua. I want that Valentina Black Label but it isn't quite as easy to find as it once was in Austin unless I go to specifically a mexican farmer's market store off Buford Hwy.

Starting Duvall today would be the easiest choice ever and I'm not sure Snitker's smart enough to do it. Mark Bowman outlined it in a tweet yesterday. Since coming off the DL Markakis has a .490 OPS against right handed pitchers. Joyce has a .922 OPS against righties since he began platooning. The smart move is benching Markakis, but Snit won't do it.

If he starts Duvall over Joyce he has to hit him 5th. Hitting Markakis 5th again is managerial malpractice.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Congrats on the win, hell of a game and awesome finish.

Take your pick of condiment, but I’m partial to the chili lime one.

CEVICHE_foodfireblog-.jpg

Cue BV making a snide comment in 3... 2... 1...

Fucking hell dude, your obsession with me is flat-out unhealthy.  I had zero posts in this thread all year, yet I come here and find you talking about me.  Get over me, you sick freak.  

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, GSU&UT said:

Atlanta United needs to relocate before they get the hex that's on the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks

they won as many titles in two years as the other slap dick teams have won combined in 150 combined seasons. Don't lump them in with the other turds in the city.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

looking at the free agent class for outfield upgrades for markakis and the options this winter are....bleak.

Roll with Pache or Waters in the outfield. Go get Gerrit Cole.

Sentence one may happen. With corporate ownership that doesn't give a fuck about the team the second sentence has zero chance of ever happening.

The Braves ability to win a World Series is going to rely on the continued development of Mike Soroka and hoping that Ian Anderson, Kyle Wright and Kyle Muller develop into major league starters. Ownership has shown they're only willing to take on short-term money and you aren't going to sign a front line starting pitcher to a one year deal.

I think there's enough data out there to suggest Folty and Fried are going to be maddeningly inconsistent pitchers at the big league level capable of brilliance and capable of melting down. I don't know that you can expect either guy to be a pitcher to carry a team when it matters.

Snitker is so in over his head at this level. He has no idea how to manage a roster or a pitching staff. Pitching your best pitcher once in a division series is a stroke of genius. He ran Freddie and Donaldson into the ground playing them practically every day. 

And Freddie...for a guy who was the face of the franchise through dark days and saw us come out the other side I will always have an appreciation for that, but this series puts a serious black mark on his legacy until he can get another shot to fix it. He was absolutely brutal in every phase in this series.

Edited by ATLLonghorn

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Fucking hell dude, your obsession with me is flat-out unhealthy.  I had zero posts in this thread all year, yet I come here and find you talking about me.  Get over me, you sick freak.  

Says the cunt that mentioned me no less than ten times without provocation over the last month or so.  Self-awareness must be something that disappears in old age.

• Like 1

From Bleacher Report ...

Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman underwent arthroscopic surgery on Wednesday to remove "three fragmented loose bodies" and "multiple bone spur formations" in his right elbow, the team announced.

Fuck me! It doesn't get much more painful than that (excepting ruptured achilles, ACL, etc.). Man's a stud.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771343-freddie-freeman-had-surgery-on-elbow-injury-expected-back-for-spring-training

• 3 weeks later...

First base: Freddie Freeman, Braves

This is Freeman's second straight Defensive Player of the Year Award at first base. He's a rock there for the Braves, playing 158 games at the position in 2019 and 319 over the last two seasons. That's a total of 2,780 2/3 innings at first base.

Makes it even more odd how awful he was against StL. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

would rather have donaldson, though i admit committing to him for longer than 2 years did kind of scare me.

lineup should like something like:

acuna - rf

albies - 2b

freeman - 1b

ozuna - lf

d'arnaud/flowers - c

inciarte - cf

camargo/riley - 3b

swanson - ss

the top 4 is set, the bottom half is kind of interchangeable.  wish they would make a move for a real difference maker at 3b to slide in between freeman and ozuna.

• 6 months later...

Guess you kids ain’t doing a new thread, but Folty got DFA’d. 

The Braves have decided to designate righty Mike Foltynewicz for assignment, manager Brian Snitker told reporters including MLB.com’s Mark Bowman (via Twitter). He’ll be replaced by reliever Chad Sobotka on the active roster.

This certainly rates as an early-season stunner. The 28-year-old Foltynewicz has had his ups and downs in Atlanta, to be sure. He was an All-Star just two seasons ago before experiencing enough difficulty last year that the Braves demoted him to the minors in late June. However, Foltynewicz rebounded when the Braves recalled him in early August, and they’re now committed to paying him a pro-rated portion of his $6,425,000 salary this season — unless another team makes a claim — and will be giving up another season of arbitration control.

Foltynewicz certainly didn’t look himself in his season debut today, coughing up six earned runs and three long balls while lasting just 3 1/3 innings in a blowout loss to the Rays. More importantly, he demonstrated a collapse in velocity that has been a concern during the pre-season ramp up.

“His stuff hasn’t been there,” Snitker told David O’Brien of The Athletic and other reporters in regards to Foltynewicz, who has averaged better than 95 mph on his fastball since he debuted with the Astros in 2014 but is now struggling to hit 90. 

It seems as if the Braves have simply seen enough to determine that Folty won’t find another gear in 2020. No doubt the club will now count upon another team to take over the salary obligations — if not also to kick in something of value in return. Despite his current issues, Foltynewicz’s age and track record of production suggest any number of teams could take a chance on him. To this point, he has thrown 682 2/3 innings of matching 4.27 ERA/FIP ball with 8.6 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 at baseball’s highest level.

Atlanta, meanwhile, continues to deal with unexpected changes in its rotation. Perhaps in an ideal situation, Foltynewicz would have made up one-fifth of the back-to-back NL East champions’ starting staff alongside Mike Soroka, Max Fried, Cole Hamels and Felix Hernandez. Now, though, the only ones standing are Soroka and Fried – before the Foltynewicz DFA, Hamels went on the 45-day injured list because of a triceps issue and Hernandez opted out of the campaign as a result of coronavirus concerns.

Without Folty, Hamels and Hernandez, the Braves are down to Sean Newcomb and Kyle Wright as complements to Soroka and Fried. And while the likes of Jhoulys Chacin and Josh Tomlin carry plenty of experience as starters, Snitker said the Braves could use an opener instead of a traditional rotation option for the time being.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, EZ$ said:

Our manager sucks. 

Tuesday was SO long ago for this feeble mind. Refresh my memory?

In the meantime ... Go Braves! Some damn hot bats. Tonight even Acuña finally got an RBI. Now to get the pitchers up to snuff.

3 hours ago, Fuga said:

Tuesday was SO long ago for this feeble mind. Refresh my memory?

In the meantime ... Go Braves! Some damn hot bats. Tonight even Acuña finally got an RBI. Now to get the pitchers up to snuff.

I can hardly remember, but had something to do with bullpen management and in game strategy (not bunting guys over). 
He’s a lot better manager with Acuna, Freddie and Ozuna hitting though. 

19 hours ago, EZ$ said:

I can hardly remember, but had something to do with bullpen management and in game strategy (not bunting guys over). 
He’s a lot better manager with Acuna, Freddie and Ozuna hitting though. 

Thanks for trying! xD

And with those guys hitting I'd be a good manager.