2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Braves rally to take 2 out of 3 without Swanson, Markakis, Inciarte and Riley and with Freddie not getting a hit. Yeah, they missed Kershaw and Buehler, but that was a hell of a rebound.

And I'm not getting into the whole Acuna-Snitker thing.

i will.  i think it's dumb as fucking shit to willingly take your best player out of the game because he thought he hit one out and watched it a second or two too long.  especially when said best player plays with a flair and passion that makes him one of the most fun players in the game and that flair and passion are a big part of what makes him your best player.

but dumbass old school baseball shit rears it's ugly head again.

Edited by BigOrange1
  • Like 1

In his last 10 starts against the Braves Jacob deGrom has a 1.74 era and nearly 9 strike outs per game. The Braves are 8-2 in those game.

What this team is doing defies all logic. They're getting contributions from scrap heap players like Hechavarria, Ortega and Hamilton which won't be sustainable in October. Dansby and Riley just started rehab assignments which is a major positive.

The bullpen has been excellent for six games in a row now. Melancon, Greene and Martin are settling in. Jackson is pitching better without the pressure of being a closer. It's certainly a cautious optimism, but hopefully it's a group that's improving.

magic number for the division is 21.  magic number for the playoffs is 16 (cubs).

acuna needs 4 hr's and 7 sb to go 40-40.  add 8 rbi's to that and he is looking a 100r, 40 hr, 100 rbi, 40 sb season.

outside shot that 4 players (acuna, freeman and donaldson) all finish with at least 40 hr. 

quick two game series against toronto and then the regular season will likely be determined between september 5th - 19th: 7 against the nats and 7 against the phillies (4 home, 3 road against wash.  4 road, 3 home against phil).

Big series starts tonight and three of the four pitching matchups are tasty:

Fried vs Strasburg (tonight)

Keuchel vs Corbin (tomorrow)

Soroka vs Scherzer (Sunday)

A split is a good result. Win 3 of 4 or sweep and the division is all but over. Fried gets two starts vs the Nats in the next two weeks. I would like to see him pitch well and put pressure on Snit to have him start over Teheran in the playoffs (assuming Soroka and Keuchel are 1 and 2). Snit is ultra conservative so I'd expect Teheran to get a playoff start and Fried be the insurance policy should any starter get shelled, but I don't love the idea of Teheran starting in October.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:56 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

Glass Half Full

Acuña is an absolute stud, Freddie's last two months were an anomaly, Donaldson is healthy, Ozzie can be more consistent, having Mac back and Markakis provides veteran leadership, Dansby and Inciarte are elite defenders, Camargo coming off the bench makes the bench better, there is a ton of talent in the starting pitching staff, Another year in the system will make Gausman betterm Darren O'Day will provide a steady arm for the bullpen, the players love Snitker and would run through a wall for him.

Acuna was a stud. Freddie's last two months were an anomaly, Donaldson was healthy, Ozzie was more consistent, Mac and Markakis provided leadership. The talent from Soroka and Fried was apparent. They'd run through a wall for Snit.

The most fun thing is just about everyone else had big moments even if they were bad for long stretches. Riley's first couple of weeks helped jump start the team in June. Ortega's grand slam against the Dodgers was massive. Culberson had some big hits early and had that game saving throw in July. Hechavarria provided some good defense and some hits. Matt Joyce has been consistently good. Julio and Keuchel had good stretches. Jackson and Swarzak had a couple of stretches where they kept the bullpen afloat until AA brought in the reinforcements. They're just a fun team to root for.

The big question mark and most fascinating thing to watch in the playoffs is going to be the starting rotation in the playoffs. Soroka has earned the game one start, but he has no playoff experience. They didn't sign Keuchel to not pitch him in October particularly given his experience. Folty has been great since he came back. I don't think Snit would bench Julio and Fried is a major wild card. Soroka, Folty and Fried have the best stuff and in October I think that matters, but I think Fried is the long reliever/rescue guy. I hope Folty's final stretch has moved him into the game 3 start ahead of Teheran, but Snit is loyal to a fault.

• Like 2

there really isn't anything left to play for in the regular season (they aren't catching the dodgers and they've locked up home field in the division series), but i'd still like to see a 4-2 finish for a 100 win season.  

love that they'll have the ability to setup the playoff rotation the way they want to.  wild that they don't play another meaningful game until october 3rd.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

braves should pinch run hamilton for bmac here.  they need a 2nd run.

Makes no sense with them pinch hitting for Folty. Fastest guy in baseball just sitting there on the bench with the slowest in 1B.

53 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

braves should pinch run hamilton for bmac here.  they need a 2nd run.

It worked out, but no reason to carry Hamilton AND 3 catchers on the roster if you aren’t pinch-running for McCann there. Even if Duvall hits one in the gap, McCann is stuck at 3rd.  Stupid, but got lucky.