2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

Daniels sure seems to get quite the pass in local media.  This team is a dumpster fire and doesn't have the feel of remotely making a splash anytime soon.
The Rangers aren't the Cowboys. There will never be real heat and criticism on them.

I think we need a new GM. Spare me about the World Series appearances. Those are nearing a decade ago. He has never ever developed any home grown pitching. Ever. Since the 2011 WS loss, this team has won a total of 2 playoff games. Both coming in the same year. They went the way like the Mavs after 2011. The Mavs have also only won 2 playoff games and then they bottomed out.

We got a new manager. Now need a new face making decisions.
  • Like 1

Chirinos batting .266 with .543 slugging. Falafel .188/.304. He's turned in to quite a dead spot. How did we lose Chirinos to a team with what must be a damn expensive pitching staff? Are the purse strings that tight?

Cabrera ought to be able to pick his average up. Forsythe 3 of 4 last night. Offensively, this team will improve.

Pitching is the big problem. Did Daniels pull this staff out of his ass this spring?

Elvis 10-day injured list.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

54 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Odor gets caught stealing with one out, for Forsythe to get a walk with the next pitch. Lulz

When he was up to bat they put on a shift where only the short stop was on the left side, closer to second. Is he incapable of bunting anywhere to the left side of the infield for the cheapest base hit in history?

The big stink is a huge drag on the team right now.  Forsythe, Santana, and even “free” Willy Calhoun can outplay him. Forsythe and Santana for sure,  I’d bet on Willie too because Willie doesn’t strike out. 

Root for forsythe, Mazara, Calhoun, and Santana (when he plays) to all get hot and really put pressure on the rangers to send the big stink down to the minors or at least take him out of the lineup when Elvis gets back.

Edited by Voldemort86

Living in austin I check the scores and read recaps, but don't get a lot of Rangers coverage like y'all get in the metroplex. But for those of you who are a little more plugged in, what's the plan here? We don't seem to be in full-on tank mode to rebuild through the draft like the Astros did. (And even if we were, what's your confidence in our ability to draft well? The players we draft never seem to do jack shit.) We don't seem to have the farm system to be confident in the future. We don't have much trade bait to restock the farm system. We can't seem to attract top-notch free agents.

Do you superfans in the metroplex have a read on where this club is headed in the future? We don't seem to be rebuilding, but we're nowhere close to being competitive anytime soon. 

kidding.... sorta!!!!!   The management hasnt shown a great ability to evaluate talent through the draft or the ability to trade the maketable players for worthwhile pieces.  Would they be better off having Elvis opt of after this yr????    who knows!!!

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Living in austin I check the scores and read recaps, but don't get a lot of Rangers coverage like y'all get in the metroplex. But for those of you who are a little more plugged in, what's the plan here? We don't seem to be in full-on tank mode to rebuild through the draft like the Astros did. (And even if we were, what's your confidence in our ability to draft well? The players we draft never seem to do jack shit.) We don't seem to have the farm system to be confident in the future. We don't have much trade bait to restock the farm system. We can't seem to attract top-notch free agents.

Do you superfans in the metroplex have a read on where this club is headed in the future? We don't seem to be rebuilding, but we're nowhere close to being competitive anytime soon. 

There’s lots of promising pitchers in the low minors. Obviously pitching prospects are fickle, but we haven’t had the quantity of guys before. And look 5 years ago, when the farm system was loaded, it was because of guys like Gallo, Maz, and Odor. Those guys need to produce and for the most part they haven’t consistently.

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Realistically, we're probably not in wild card contention until 2021. And real playoff contention in 2020. I think we can expect to get 2-3 quality starters from the pitchers in Down East (High A), Hickory (Low A), and Spokane (Short season). Plus on from Nashville (AAA - probably not) or Frisco (AA)  - plus several bull pen pieces that don't make as starters. But most of these won't be ready until 2021 at the earliest.

Also, we are really really stocked in the lower minors. So expect a trade around 2021 to cover our holes right now (3rd Base and Catchers specifically).

9 hours ago, DougO said:

does Calhoun have as many hits and RBi as Odor for the season yet? Gotta be creeping up close.

Maybe Calhoun will inspire Odor to get his shit together. Both had a banner day yesterday. Along with Gallo and Santana. Forsythe only went 2 for 5 with only one HR, so he'll probably be back on the bench pretty soon.

I had these guys winning about 70 games.  the starting pitching has been a bit better than I expected.  hitting other than Odor has been pretty good.  the main thing is they seem to be feast or famine on both.

If they had some better relief pitching and could find another starter they could have potentially made some noise for the wild card.  as currently formed their ceiling is .500.

13 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I had these guys winning about 70 games.  the starting pitching has been a bit better than I expected.  hitting other than Odor has been pretty good.  the main thing is they seem to be feast or famine on both.

If they had some better relief pitching and could find another starter they could have potentially made some noise for the wild card.  as currently formed their ceiling is .500.

Agree, it's a .500 team. They can be fun to watch and if they win as much as they lose I can halfway enjoy the season. Naturally I'd like to see better but what ya gonna do? Pout all summer?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The club even sucks at tanking. At least until minor and pence are dealt. Then the losses should start piling up. 

And, assuming we’re willing to kick in about $18-$20 MM over the next 1.5 years, Choo...

Edited by Ignatius

On 5/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, Post Oak said:

From LSB

Gallo is now at 2.4 fWAR

Which puts him safely in 3rd in the AL and on pace for 9.3 fWAR.

What a fucking stud

He’s also top 20 in the majors in BsR, so his baserunning is his typical outstanding levels too

Posted  by KidDallas  on May 18, 2019 | 7:23 AM reply rec (9)  flag

Gallo is amazing.  He’s having an mvp type season.  

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Lynn has been fairly consistent of late.  

Lynn has been a good signing.  Just need a couple more SPs and RP.

Good news is that the farm seems to be stacked with RPs throughout.  And SPs to for that matter 

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Lynn has been a good signing.  Just need a couple more SPs and RP.

Good news is that the farm seems to be stacked with RPs throughout.  And SPs to for that matter 

Yep.   I know we have him for 2 more years and Minor through next year as well.  A lot of people clamoring to trade Minor, whereas I’d be interested in seeing if we could extend him now for 2 addt’l years or so.   See if they could get some sort of 3yr/$45mm deal or so 

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.   I know we have him for 2 more years and Minor through next year as well.  A lot of people clamoring to trade Minor, whereas I’d be interested in seeing if we could extend him now for 2 addt’l years or so.   See if they could get some sort of 3yr/$45mm deal or so 

Same.  There's a big gap between them and Houston but I don't necessarily believe there is a big gap between them and the WC.

At least that's my belief with a 40ish game sample

If Minor keeps pitching at the same pace is he a threat to make the All Star team? Is he come-back enough to be a CPOTY candidate?

He seems like he's better now than Cole Hamels ever was for the Rangers, but much cheaper.

• Like 1