2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

Oakland A's fans in the seats are better pitchers than most of the Rangers staff.

Fan who threw 96 mph at in-stadium radar booth signs contract with A's

Scott Gleeson, USA TODAY Published 9:22 a.m. ET Aug. 2, 2019 | Updated 2:59 p.m. ET Aug. 2, 2019

Baseball fan Nathan Patterson lit up the speed-pitch radar booth at Coors Field a few weeks ago while attending a game with his brother. 

Now, he has signed a contract with a Major League Baseball team. 

Patterson casually threw a 96-mph fastball at a Colorado Rockies game July 15, and on Thursday, the Oakland A's made his dream come true as the 23-year-old signed a contract with the club

The backstory makes Patterson's journey even more epic. 

He played high school baseball but never pursued it in college, but he started taking baseball seriously again last August. He originally caught the A's attention at a Nashville Sounds game (the team's Triple-A affiliate at the time) when he threw 96 mph there as well. 

Patterson told MLB.com he hadn't thrown "for a few years" before last August, and noted of his high school playing days, "I didn't really have a good arm then." 

He was injured in a car accident in December and needed surgery. But Patterson was resilient, kept training and stayed sharp in a rec league.

"Words cannot describe this feeling, and I cannot thank everyone enough who has been part of this journey so far," Patterson wrote on Instagram. "My family has given me nothing but constant love and support throughout the last nine months as I pursue a dream of mine that I’ve had since I was a little kid."

12 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Lance Lynn though. 

14-6. 7 innings, 10ks, 1er. Pitching for a shitty team and winning. Against Detroit but still.

Good foundational arm for next year  

Lance be ballin'. If only Minor hadn't started kinda sucking since the break the Rangers might still be trying to contend for a wild card spot. Four straight starts giving up 4 or 5 runs, and the one before that gave up 3 in 4.1 innings.

7 hours ago, DougO said:

Why is some idiot discarding perfectly good nachos from his shoulder that never even hit the ground?

And why get your fingers messy pulling them off - just bend over and start munching (I know, I know, that's what my wife said last night).

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

On 7/30/2019 at 8:45 PM, DougO said:

Looks like a good opportunity for the Rangers, Allard was ranked the number 10 Braves prospect overall and is considered to have an MLB ready arm. Atlanta was pretty stocked up in that range of starting guy and traded away a decent prospect.

He's been called up and will make is MLB debut Friday in Milwaukee.  Got tickets for this game months ago so I'll be in the stands.

• Like 1

Rangers sucked in game one. Ump fucked us pretty good. Forsythe 2-4. Runners on early, but nobody could get them in. Jurado was great until he gave up a homer in the seventh. Three hits is all he gave up. Got to see Clase and his 99mph fastballs in the eighth, no problem, but don't know why Woodard inserted him there when he might have been able to get more than an inning in game 2.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch