2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

The fans hate going to turf, but at least the players hate it.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2019/04/10/cause-concern-rangers-acknowledge-playing-arizonasartificial-turf-little-different

Gallo, who played center on Tuesday and was in left field on Wednesday, said it would be difficult to envision playing 81 games a season on the turf as it is now. There is expectation that this is just temporary and that the field will mature with usage.

"It was a bit concerning," Gallo said. "I thought it would a little different than it was, but it felt just like any other turf. We talked to some of [the Arizona] players, and they said to be ready to ice your legs."

Said Mazara: "It doesn't [feel] right, right now. It was a little too soft, and I feel like I sunk in a little."

Unless I missed a lot of these things, I don't remember the Ballpark hosting non-baseball things outside of an occasional concert till this year. But come on, the new place is going to be used for all kinds of shit because it's indoors and you don't have to worry about killing the grass. That was definitely a factor in the grass/non-grass issue. It will be quite ironic if we spent years hearing players don't want to come to Arlington for the heat only to get that solved and players don't want to come here because the player surface sucks and possibly shortens their careers. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1