The University has suspended the Texas Cowboys for 6 years

nivek3

If this is the second time something has happened and they will be gone for the next six years, why even bring them back?  There is nowhere to go but down from here.  What will be next?...one of the Cowboys chasing an SMU cheerleader with a hot branding iron for being on the field?

• Like 1

I have plenty of friends that were in cowboys.  I was in a similar male organization during my time at UT and looking back I'm not sure why I put up with 13 weeks of sleep deprivation, throwing up from workouts my body was not trained for multiple times a week, and letting dumbasses yell/berate me constantly.  The stupid shit a 17 year old will do.  My gpa tanked that semester.  If your initiation results in 2 students dying, then you should be kicked out permanently.  Can't remember which organization it was but someone had to eat shit.  Why?  

Edited by victory88

The report found that during the 2018 retreat, one new member was coerced into biting the head off a live hamster, a practice which occurred also in 2015 and 2017. Other members were required to ingest unwanted substances such as cat food and whole onions and were forced into the cannon’s trailer.

Image result for why gif

I will never understand the point of hazing.

14 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Image result for why gif

I will never understand the point of hazing.

A small degree a bit of shared suffering builds camaraderie and encourages a team atmosphere. My fraternity made us do all kinds of chores and repair/improvement projects around the house and school as a group of pledges and it was a great way to build friendships, even with guys you normally wouldn't have been that close to, which made all the fun social things that much better.

These guys took it wildly too far, obviously.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

A small degree a bit of shared suffering builds camaraderie and encourages a team atmosphere. My fraternity made us do all kinds of chores and repair/improvement projects around the house and school as a group of pledges and it was a great way to build friendships, even with guys you normally wouldn't have been that close to, which made all the fun social things that much better.

These guys took it wildly too far, obviously.

And that makes sense. Make the pledges clean the house, make the rookies carry luggage, etc is all fun. But the stuff the Cowboys were doing is just plain sadistic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

If this is the second time something has happened and they will be gone for the next six years, why even bring them back?  There is nowhere to go but down from here.  What will be next?...one of the Cowboys chasing an SMU cheerleader with a hot branding iron for being on the field?

Yep. The organization needs to be shut down permanently. 

22 minutes ago, markstanco said:

The guys who haze the most were the biggest panzies/pussies during pledgeship.  

This.  Think of the stereotypical small town cop that was always bullied until he got that badge.  It was usually a short dude with napoleon complex or just some guys that were a little unbalanced. 

Letting drunk 19 year olds haze 18 year olds is just a recipe for trouble.   

• Like 2

Actually, in addition to being a pretty good yarn, The Lords of Discipline goes into the psychological benefits of hazing to an organization and its members in the context of a military school.

I don't remember specifics, but I do remember being impressed with Conroy's argument/analysis and feeling he was correct.  And even he wasn't discussing animal abuse.

I would draw the line at animal abuse.  Also buttstuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I have plenty of friends that were in cowboys.  I was in a similar male organization during my time at UT and looking back I'm not sure why I put up with 13 weeks of sleep deprivation, throwing up from workouts my body was not trained for multiple times a week, and letting dumbasses yell/berate me constantly.  The stupid shit a 17 year old will do.  My gpa tanked that semester.  If your initiation results in 2 students dying, then you should be kicked out permanently.  Can't remember which organization it was but someone had to eat shit.  Why?  

Texas Wranglers?

36 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

This.  Think of the stereotypical small town cop that was always bullied until he got that badge.  It was usually a short dude with napoleon complex or just some guys that were a little unbalanced. 

Letting drunk 19 year olds haze 18 year olds is just a recipe for trouble.   

Hazing seems to be some really base instinct of man.  It's far more common than I think we know or really are willing to admit. 

Just about any time a group of young men (can't speak for women) is put together, some form of hazing takes place.

And, like lots of stuff teens and adolescents do, it's a miracle that it isn't fatal many hundreds of times more often than it is.

UT discipline report

'...the Texas Cowboys are adept at passing on traditions, but not lessons.'

Could say the same for UT administration for handing down a 6 year suspension.

The Cowboys draw members from an elite pool of young men at UT. They've caused the death of two of them. Their alunmi wont let them change. Permaban.

Hazing seems to be some really base instinct of man.  It's far more common than I think we know or really are willing to admit. 
Just about any time a group of young men (can't speak for women) is put together, some form of hazing takes place.
And, like lots of stuff teens and adolescents do, it's a miracle that it isn't fatal many hundreds of times more often than it is.
It's a tribal instinct. You can't just become a trusted member of a group without effort, some sort of suffering is required to demonstrate trustworthiness. Plus the intial subservience demonstrates a new member is willing to place the group ahead of the individual.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh sure, it's just a base instinct to determine if someone is deserving of membership in the tribe. I think men will naturally shit test each other to both determine/establish alpha and decide whether you belong in the group and can handle a little stress.  You see it every day when guys bust each other's balls.  

But I do think the worst of the hazing occurs when some young guy tastes some newfound position of power and doesn't know how to handle it because he's always been on the receiving end of the shit tests.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

It's a tribal instinct. You can't just become a trusted member of a group without effort, some sort of suffering is required to demonstrate trustworthiness. Plus the intial subservience demonstrates a new member is willing to place the group ahead of the individual.

Nothin' better than getting the boys together on the weekends, demonstrating subservience, knockin' back a few cold pops and putting the group ahead of the individual. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, in addition to being a pretty good yarn, The Lords of Discipline goes into the psychological benefits of hazing to an organization and its members in the context of a military school.

I don't remember specifics, but I do remember being impressed with Conroy's argument/analysis and feeling he was correct.  And even he wasn't discussing animal abuse.

I would draw the line at animal abuse.  Also buttstuff.

I, like many (most?) of you, have been through lots of hazing whether it was high school football, fraternity pledgeship, college rugby and whatever else.  never once did I ever feel my brown-eye was in danger, and never once did it seem like anyone involved with the hazing would have ever been cool with sticking anything up anyone’s ass.  the fact that it does actually happen is so fucking mind-bottling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

People will do a lot of things take make friends/look cool/fit in

Because all the cool people bite heads off of hamsters?  That, for me, was always the part of hazing that didn't make any sense:  "You have to have to demonstrate zero self respect and common sense if you want to prove that you are one of us!"  Seriously, do you want to look around at all of your new found bros and think, "Each and every one of us let somebody put our heads in a dirty toilet while we were having our bare asses paddled." (or some such nonsense)

• Like 3