2019 St Louis Cardinals

pops

Like most teams, our staff health will say a lot about the season. I expect Mikolas to be better than he was today, so I am not concerned. We almost beat the Brewers, on the road, with the top of our lineup doing nothing.

Although with the Central as tough as it is, we can still finish fourth.

On 3/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, pops said:

I've never watched much of Goldschmidt and while I knew he was obviously a great hitter, I had zero appreciation for his bat speed and power. Wowsers. 

Goldschmidt was not heavily recruited out of High School.  He enrolled at Texas State University (San Marcos, Tx)  to play college baseball for the Texas State Bobcats baseball team. He was named the Southland Conference hitter of the year in 2008 and 2009, Southland player of the year in 2009, and was a third-team All-American as a junior in 2009 after hitting .352 with 18 home runs and 88 runs batted in (RBIs) in 57 games played.  Goldschmidt set Bobcat career records with 36 home runs and 179 RBIs.  

After playing at Texas State, the Diamondbacks selected him in the eighth round of the 2009 MLB draft. He rose through the minor leagues, reaching the major leagues on August 1, 2011. 

Edited by LTtxfan

The strikeouts are a beating to watch.  I do think that the starting rotation and bullpen are both going to be fine, the strikeout rate for the hitters just plain sucks. No idea what is wrong with Ozuna and Fowler just sucks.  Did anyone watch last night when he dropped the fly ball in the first inning?  Holy shit, that guy is horrible.

• Like 1

One way to feel better about yourself... Play the bucs. 

I am not to sure that I feel better about the team though! Lol. It is good to know that we have pitched poorly (starters) and many offensive guys are struggling, and we are 3-3.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Very nice Bernie article about DeJong on The Athletic if you're a subscriber:

https://theathletic.com/932916/2019/04/18/this-kid-can-do-it-all-paul-dejongs-early-numbers-gaining-notice/

God damn he's such a good writer. I remember rhyner talking about it during the 11 world series when he was still with the post dispatch. 

9 hours ago, pops said:

Fun to skullfuck the Brewers. Not expecting it to last. And are they the only team we are going to play this year?

Fucking seriously. Just came here to post that. I have Jack Flaherty on my fantasy team and dude has pitched against the Brewers 3 times already. I’m sure there’s a lot that goes into making a 162 game schedule for 30 teams, but my god. Seems like you could’ve done better than that.

So the Cards are down 1-0 as we speak and I noticed that the one run was on a solo HR.  I started to think, "man it seems like almost all of the Brewers' runs come via the home run..."

So I just looked.... the Brewers have scored 9 runs in this three-game series so far.  Every single one of those runs have come via the home run.  That's fucking crazy.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

So the Cards are down 1-0 as we speak and I noticed that the one run was on a solo HR.  I started to think, "man it seems like almost all of the Brewers' runs come via the home run..."

So I just looked.... the Brewers have scored 9 runs in this three-game series so far.  Every single one of those runs have come via the home run.  That's fucking crazy.

I think they said on the broadcast that their last 23 runs have scored on homers.

One of my sons is at the game today with his class. Wife went with them. I am off today and watching the game at home. Crazy? I think not. 

Anyone else watching? A lady got nailed right in the forehead on a foul by Thames. It was pretty far down the line. When it hit her, it bounced back onto the field. It had have been at least 50 or 60 feet. Unreal. My wife texted me and said that she appeared to be okay because she eventually walked out.

Noooooice to sweep those assholes. 

Also - just acquired my tickets for Cards-Rangers in Arlington here in a few weeks.  Hopefully we get some nice weather.

I'm also going to the Angles series in STL in June.... THE RETURN OF PUJOLS. Will be interesting to see how that goes....

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

One of my sons is at the game today with his class. Wife went with them. I am off today and watching the game at home. Crazy? I think not. 

Anyone else watching? A lady got nailed right in the forehead on a foul by Thames. It was pretty far down the line. When it hit her, it bounced back onto the field. It had have been at least 50 or 60 feet. Unreal. My wife texted me and said that she appeared to be okay because she eventually walked out.

Watched the cards at Arizona probably 10 years ago. Sat first base line maybe 5 rows up. Late in the game Motte was pitching and he was throwing fucking fire. Everything 99 to 101. Dude from Arizona fouls one off hard and it hits a dude square in the forehead about 10 feet away. No chance to react. Ball ends up in deep center. No clue how the fan didn't die. Didn't even lose consciousness. I'll never forget that sound. 

/Csb

3 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Noooooice to sweep those assholes. 

Also - just acquired my tickets for Cards-Rangers in Arlington here in a few weeks.  Hopefully we get some nice weather.

I'm also going to the Angles series in STL in June.... THE RETURN OF PUJOLS. Will be interesting to see how that goes....

He will get a standing O just like all former cards. Yadi will step out in front of the plate to make it last a little longer. That will be fucking awesome to see. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pops said:

He will get a standing O just like all former cards. Yadi will step out in front of the plate to make it last a little longer. That will be fucking awesome to see. 

I agree... it's interesting because I think that enough time has passed that he will get a massive standing O.  But if this had happened in say, 2012 or 2013, I think it would have been A LOT more mixed.  A lot of fans would have cheered him then but I think there also would have been quite a few boos.  Now? I think it'll be almost all cheers and standing O.  Should be fun.