2019 St Louis Cardinals

pops

At this point I am expecting 4th or 5th starter performance from Waino, and he is currently exceeding that.  If he can go 6+ and give up 4 or less runs, then I'm going to be pleased.  That will at least give them a chance to win.

I'm anxiously awaiting this weekend to see how the team does in Chicago.  So far they look like they won't be intimidated, but once they get to Wrigley, I guess we'll see.

So I guess we don't suck?

10 games over .500 on May 1? I guess I'll take that.

Seriously, this team really reminds me of the 2011-14 Cardinals teams in that it seemed like they always just found ways to win and I was sort of surprised when they actually lost.  It's been the opposite the past few years.

It occurred to me the other night when we got down 3-0 in the 3rd or so and kind of looked listless. I went to dinner with the GF (no pics) and when I got home the Cards were up 6-3 and cruising to a win.

We are simply leaving too many men on base right now. I like how the offense looks legit, but we need to push more guys across.

Obviously, our pitching is still worrisome. I have to think back over 10 years to remember having little to no faith in our staff. I still think Ponce de Leon deserves to be in the mix.

Huge series starting today.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I lived in Chicago for a while in my early 20's.  I have a ton of friends who are Cubs fans.  They are being Grade A Insufferable this morning.  Gah.

I lived in Chicago as a kid.  We knew a couple of players for the Cubs back then, too.  I spent 2 summers going to every weekday home game (before Wrigley had lights).  Even after all of that, I hate the Cubs and their fans are always insufferable.

Yep. We will be very streaky and there are some serious concerns. The starting staff has not been great. The pen has done a good job, but I expect plenty of blowups from them. Overall, the talent is just not great for our pitching group. A few guys who can shine, but will have many rough patches.

The other issue is what do you do with our streaky hitters? We almost have to play Jose Martinez, but his glove is just not good. O’Neil cannot be kept at Memphis for too long. We are at a point where we need to define what we are looking for behind our pitchers. We have some good defensive guys, who lack with the bat. And we have other guys who are good within the bat, but form liabilities in the field.

I do expect for Carp and Goldy to heat up soon, which will help a bit.

The starting pitching is basically the source of the streakyness.  We all know bats will heat up and cool down as the season goes along.... having solid starting pitching can get you through the swoons.

Bats have been sort of swooning in the past 10 days and the starting pitching is still getting shelled.

We have to figure out how to get bader in the day to day. I think he has a shot to be special. Fowler drives me crazy, but fuck, he's producing. 

I just don't get how we can go 17, 1, 1, 6, 14. Geezus. 

We are about where I thought we would be. 500 ball club but not a real contender. I think that we overachieved in April and underachieved in May.

We still need to find two more reliable starters. I feel like moving Wacha and Hudson might be good ideas. As much as I like Ozuna, I think there might be trade value out there for him. We have a lot of OFs already, so maybe we can package Ozuna and Wacha/Hudson in a deal for a starter or minor league depth.

Waino is probably done but I can also see him being a gamer for us down the stretch. I would be ok with seeing what de Leon, Gomber and Reyes can do when healthy at the big league level.

16 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

But his wife is easy on the eyes. I’ll take the trade off.

Googled, and Jim really gets around.  You talking wife 2.0 or wife 3.0?  (Wife 1.0 is dead, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one.)

I was very good friends in HS with a gal who ended up living in the same townhouse row as Edmonds.  She would stalk him.  She'd show up at Ted Drewe's, etc. on off nights when a lot of the team would hang out there, and track him to nearby watering holes.  She was sure she was gonna marry him.

Long story short:  no f'n way.  None of us really knew how to tell her, but eventually she figured it out and joined the Army.  Alrighty.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was very good friends in HS with a gal who ended up living in the same townhouse row as Edmonds.  She would stalk him.  She'd show up at Ted Drewe's, etc. on off nights when a lot of the team would hang out there, and track him to nearby watering holes.  She was sure she was gonna marry him.

Long story short:  no f'n way.  None of us really knew how to tell her, but eventually she figured it out and joined the Army.  Alrighty.

Fitlump went to your HS?