2019 St Louis Cardinals

pops

12 hours ago, pops said:

I'm afraid that's about as good as we are against good teams

Well yeah at least we got one, but Houston is clearly a better team than we are.  I can't bitch too much.  Get into the playoffs and who knows?

However, our weak hitting was pretty much a Roast Beast Feast for Houston's starters.  Gotta get more timely hitting (slugging pct. is pretty bad).

But hey, we could be like 1-104 now, so things are ok.

Of course they do absolutely fucking nothing today. Jesus, it is getting frustrating being a fan of this team with the shitty front office.

Honestly, I think they realize that they are probably playing better than what they are at the moment. I still expect for this team to go into a tailspin or two when they force Carpenter back into the lineup.

The farm is not very good, so moving those pieces are tough when looking big picture with what was available. I hate that we sat around, yet again, but I truly think that the FO is just hoping to get in the playoffs somehow. The biggest problem that I have is that they are overvaluing what they have in resources, and they have not shown much positive talent evaluation in recent years.

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Was watching that live last night.

Loved Rick Horton's comment, "I'd like to see the authenticater go get that one..." LOL

Yeah, my sis was there in the Redbird club.  Apparently nobody could figure out where the ball went until the jumbotron camera zoomed in and found it.

• Like 2

Last night's game was totally weird.

Wacha was dealing and gets pulled after 4 in a 1-0 game because Shildt is trying to bust open the 1-0 game with 2 outs and the bases loaded. It doesn't work (of course) and then (predictably) the Brewers get 2 in the next inning and take a 2-1 lead.

I turn it off at that point because I'm convinced it's over with our shitty offense, but then I forgot about the Brewers even more shitty bullpen.

I check the score like 30 minutes later and the Cards are up 7-2, lol.

Edited by oSuJeff97

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Last night's game was totally weird.

Wacha was dealing and gets pulled after 4 in a 1-0 game because Shildt is trying to bust open the 1-0 game with 2 outs and the bases loaded. It doesn't work (of course) and then (predictably) the Brewers get 2 in the next inning and take a 2-1 lead.

I turn it off at that point because I'm convinced it's over with our shitty offense, but then I forgot about the Brewers even more shitty bullpen.

I check the score like 30 minutes later and the Cards are up 7-2, lol.

It was actually kind of garbage to watch.  Seeing 3 bases-loaded walks really isn't interesting baseball.  

Halfway through the schedule following the All-Star break (37 games down, 37 to go):

-- 0.500 at the break (44-44)

-- 0.622 after the break (23-14)

-- 21/16 home/away split going forward

-- upcoming opponents' cumulative record = 0.495

-- upcoming opponents' cumulative record (Cardinals' home games only) = 0.501

-- upcoming opponents' cumulative record (Cardinals' away games only) = 0.488

Two obvious series stand out:

-- 9/19 - 9/22 4 games @ Chicago Cubs

-- 9/27 - 9/29 3 games Chicago Cubs

Without rainouts, those 7 games will affect the current standings by at least 1 game (4-3 split), possibly 3 (5-2 split), and as many as 5 or 7 (6-1 split or 7-0 sweep)

Ignoring the Cubs and just looking at other opponents:

-- upcoming opponents' cumulative record = 0.485

-- upcoming opponents' cumulative record (Cardinals' home games only) = 0.494

-- upcoming opponents' cumulative record (Cardinals' away games only) = 0.470

I haven't run the same #'s for the Cubs or Brewers, and likely won't, but just looking at the Cubs' schedule going forward, it's pretty similar to the Cardinals' schedule.  They get the Padres & Mariners whereas the Cardinals get the Rockies.  Not much difference there.  However, their home/away split is 19/17.  The Brewers have a couple of games against the Astros, so that could help the Cardinals and Cubs keep their distance a bit.  Their home/away split is 19/16.

Long story short:  this sets up for a tight race with the Cubs that will likely be decided in those final 7 head-to-head games.  The Brewers are far from out of it but theirs is not quite so easy a road going forward, for at least one obvious reason besides a slightly tougher schedule -- they're currently 3 games behind the Cardinals and 3.5 behind the Cubs.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

Yeah how is this team in first place by 2.5 games on Aug. 26?  So weird, but I'll take it.  I'm scared to death of that 4-game series at Wrigley at the end of September. 

The Cubs play like .800 baseball at home and we've sucked ass there ever since the Cubs resurgence.  We need to put as much breathing room as possible in between us and them before that series.  I feel like just splitting that series would be a huge win.

20 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah how is this team in first place by 2.5 games on Aug. 26?  So weird, but I'll take it.  I'm scared to death of that 4-game series at Wrigley at the end of September. 

The Cubs play like .800 baseball at home and we've sucked ass there ever since the Cubs resurgence.  We need to put as much breathing room as possible in between us and them before that series.  I feel like just splitting that series would be a huge win.

Yes, that series will be huge, but this weekend was huge in hindsight.  And, we get the Cubs for 3 games at home after those 4 games at Wrigley.

I'm not exactly jacked up about the team this year because even if they make the playoffs, the Dodgers will push their stools in, but anything can happen.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, that series will be huge, but this weekend was huge in hindsight.  And, we get the Cubs for 3 games at home after those 4 games at Wrigley.

I'm not exactly jacked up about the team this year because even if they make the playoffs, the Dodgers will push their stools in, but anything can happen.

Yep.... MLB playoffs always seem like a total crap shoot.  Just get in there and see what happens.

Honestly, this team's strengths are relief pitching, defense and (to a lesser extent) starting pitching.  They've also been pretty consistent, in terms of home/road splits... unlike, say, the Cubs, who destroy everyone at Wrigley but can't beat anyone on the road.

Point being, you take this team's strengths and add a few timely hits here and there, and it *could* make a run in the playoffs...

37 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They seem to be really good against bad teams and really bad against good teams, which is a real bad way to go into the playoffs.

I'm most optimistic about the way Hudson and Flaherty have pitched lately, however.  

The Cards are 30-35 against teams above. 500.  That's not great, but it's basically in-line with everyone else outside of the clear-cut four best teams in baseball (Dodgers, Astros, Yankees, Braves).

When you look at the rest of the teams vying for playoff spots, you have the Nats sitting 1 game over .500 against winning teams (36-35), but then the Cardinals (30-35), Twins (26-31), Indians (20-29), Rays (28-31), and Cubs (32-35) all have losing records against .500 or better teams.

The fact that we're actually beating up on bad teams this year is a nice change of pace. The team's inability to (a) beat up on bad teams and (b) consistently win at home has kept them out of the playoffs the past 3 years.  

• Like 1