2019 St Louis Cardinals

pops

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Posted for Beau Vine:  Cardinals need to get back to small ball

None so small

The fatal flaw to that column is pretty simple.  You can't sac bunt, hit-and-run, get productive outs or do any of that stupid shit that excites the simpletons if you string together nothing but 1-2-3 innings.  

Wow...  I knew the offense was bad, but that was worse than any stretch of baseball I've ever seen in the playoffs.  I don't see them getting better in the offseason either because Mo.  I guess we'll see, but there is no way that they will go after Rendon (at least seriously) and other than that, there's just not going to be anyone of consequence that will help this putrid offense.

26 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Not sure I would go that far. They all got cold at the same time.

This was an issue all season. 

Batting average:  .245, 11th in NL

OPS:  .737, 11th in NL

They scored 764 runs, 10th in the NL.

I'm not sure what the metrics show, but they were not good at all against off speed pitchers.  Light throwing pitchers seemed to be their biggest problem this year.  Anyway, they have some work to do this winter.  Maybe the problem is Jeff Albert.  I don't know.

I hate the end of baseball season. Cards games are the white noise of the best time of the year...at least where I live. Shitty way to end the season but I'll take a division championship and Washington just might be that good at the right time. They are firing on all cylinders. 

Will be interesting to see what waino does. I called for his head louder than anyone last year, but it was great to watch him do waino things again this year. For him and yadi to go out together next year just seems like it would please the baseball gods. 

Schildt drove me crazy at times this year with his structured approach and being unwilling to change when it looked needed, but holy shit is he better than matheny. I think he will get better and I think the team is all in behind him. 

Defense was light years better than last year. But it was tough to watch carp and bader regress behind the plate. Not sure what to do with ozuna. I dig that cat but my God is he bad defensively. Same with Jose Martinez. 

I'm pretty bullish on our pitching. I think Flaherty is a legit ace. I think we've seen the last of wacha and we have a few young guys that can fill starting roles. I hope Martinez is one of them because he drives me crazy as a closer. Hopefully Hicks is back sooner rather than later. 

Still need a bat in the middle of the order. A guy that just can hit for contact (hello 2018 version of carpenter). 

Only 120 days until pitchers and catchers report!

• Like 1

I think that we still need to find another arm or two to start this offseason. Of course, only one if Waino comes back. No more banking on Alex Reyes and Carlos Martinez.

They also have to make up their mind on this outfield. Unfortunately, Fowler and Carpenter have deals that will prevent us from moving them. Like both guys, but the skills have severely diminished for both.

3 hours ago, pops said:

Schildt drove me crazy at times this year with his structured approach and being unwilling to change when it looked needed, but holy shit is he better than matheny. I think he will get better and I think the team is all in behind him. 

1.  "Better than Matheny" should not be a standard.

2.  Paul absolutely loves Shildt.

3.  I do not.  Not to be a broken record, but that locking-into-a-pitching-plan shit has to change.  Anyone who allows that many 7-run innings is a complete failure at bullpen management.  

39 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  "Better than Matheny" should not be a standard.

They're 0.580 under Shildt.  It's a tiny sample size, but compare it to modern predecessors:

White Herzog:  0.530

Joe Torre:  0.498

Tony La Russa:  0.544

Mike Matheny:  0.555

So far, so good, particularly for a team that isn't exactly loaded with talent.  The problem will be "how do we get more talent?"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Cardinals have recommitted to additional years of its baseball operation leadership group, from the dugout to the front office.

President of baseball operations John Mozeliak, general manager Michael Girsch, and manager Mike Shildt all received new terms and extensions on their contracts, chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. announced Tuesday at Busch Stadium.

Mozeliak has led the baseball operations for the Cardinals since 2007, and his new contract will be a three-year contract, added on to the deal that was set to expire after 2020.

“The key word is continuity,” Mozeliak said.

Girsch had his option for 2020 picked up and his contract extended for two years.

Shildt has a new contract written for three years starting with 2020.

All of the major-league coaches will return to the Cardinals in 2020.

So, what's the consensus regarding the severity of the Astros' high-tech sign-stealing system, say, relative to a scouting director hacking into a team's servers to steal draft and other personnel information?

Asking for myself because I recall Astros fans being mighty fucking indignant about how St. Louis is the dirtiest franchise since the Black Sox and lily white Houston would never, ever dare do anything that is against the rules.

L.  M.  F.  A.  O.

Image result for rick perry oops gif"

• Like 2

The sign stealing made me laugh for sure, something about not throwing stones. I am not naive to think that this isn’t happening everywhere, but the Astros are going to be penalized the heaviest for whatever is found. They have not had a good last month whether it be baseball or PR.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, jimmyjazz said:

So, what's the consensus regarding the severity of the Astros' high-tech sign-stealing system, say, relative to a scouting director hacking into a team's servers to steal draft and other personnel information?

Asking for myself because I recall Astros fans being mighty fucking indignant about how St. Louis is the dirtiest franchise since the Black Sox and lily white Houston would never, ever dare do anything that is against the rules.

L.  M.  F.  A.  O.

Image result for rick perry oops gif"

Yeah, I thought about talking shit, but decided that someone from our organization actually going to the federal penitentiary is a bit worse. 

I was listening to Miklasz this morning on the drive to work.  He mentioned that MLB has stated that they are going to interview current and past employees of the Astros regarding the sign stealing investigation.  Jeff Albert worked for the Astros in 2018, so he will likely be one that they talk to.

It's obvious that the Cardinals aren't stealing signs (or if they are, they really suck at it), but it should at least be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Capn81 said:

The more I read about the Kim signing, the more that I like it. I am not sure if he will end up being a full time starter, but his slider seems to be a great out pitch. Maybe good in relief.

Agree. He's older but has some junk. If Carlos can ever figure out how to be a starter again I can see KK eating up some middle innings. Assuming Hicks comes back strong I think pitching will be fine by the all star break. Need carp and bader to remember how to hit. 

Waino and yadi at 277 games. Could get to 300 next year in their battery. Unreal. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

That was my thought as well. I bet he wants the QO $ but the years are ok in the offer.

Other teams are just not interested.  The loss of a draft pick is just too much for other teams.  I'd like him back, but I won't be too upset if he goes somewhere else.  My biggest fear would be him going to another NL Central team and then tearing the Cardinals up. 

1 hour ago, Capn81 said:

I could see that, but I am not sure there are any other players left in the Central except for maybe the Reds. He might have to settle a one year prove it type of deal.

Yeah, I think he's going to have to take 1 year deal regardless of whether he's back with the Cards or any other team.  He doesn't appear to be a clubhouse problem.  He has been inconsistent with the Cardinals, but the homerun threat was a nice thing to have.  I really want to see what Carlson has, but I'd hate to go into the season relying on a rookie.

This team just has too much dead weight with Carpenter, Cecil and Fowler.  They have been the poster children for giving bad contracts to mediocre players for the last few years.

Yeah, I think he's going to have to take 1 year deal regardless of whether he's back with the Cards or any other team.  He doesn't appear to be a clubhouse problem.  He has been inconsistent with the Cardinals, but the homerun threat was a nice thing to have.  I really want to see what Carlson has, but I'd hate to go into the season relying on a rookie.
This team just has too much dead weight with Carpenter, Cecil and Fowler.  They have been the poster children for giving bad contracts to mediocre players for the last few years.

Haha, no doubt there on the dead weight issue. I agree with seeing what Carlson can do when he gets the call up.

I feel like we are engaged with Colorado in Arenado, and that we want him, but are trying to move some of the dead weight in the deal. If they are able to move Fowler, they have space for both Carlson and Ozuna.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Capn81 said:

Haha, no doubt there on the dead weight issue. I agree with seeing what Carlson can do when he gets the call up.

I feel like we are engaged with Colorado in Arenado, and that we want him, but are trying to move some of the dead weight in the deal. If they are able to move Fowler, they have space for both Carlson and Ozuna.

I think Carpenter would probably do well in Colorado with his swing.  Unfortunately, he swings and misses far too often.  I think I did read somewhere (or heard on the radio) that he wants to get back to line drives and hitting to all fields.  Hell, maybe that's just me projecting my wishes and I never heard it. 

Maybe Arenado feeling 'disrespected' will help in getting something done.  I'd love to seem as a Cardinal this year.  Ozuna, Arenado, Goldschmidt would be one hell of a middle of the lineup.

Will be interesting to see if they go hard for arenado. I dug ozuna and his bat could get hot but holy shit was he a terrible outfielder. 

It's like Dewitt wants to prove he can do it only spending 170 a year. I know they don't have Yankees or dodgers money to throw around but shit, crack the wallet and fix what needs fixing. 

3 hours ago, pops said:

Will be interesting to see if they go hard for arenado. I dug ozuna and his bat could get hot but holy shit was he a terrible outfielder. 

It's like Dewitt wants to prove he can do it only spending 170 a year. I know they don't have Yankees or dodgers money to throw around but shit, crack the wallet and fix what needs fixing. 

I'm terrified of overpaying for Rockies' hitters.  Arenado's career road numbers: .265/.323/.476.  Big fat MEH on that.

I am starting to think that the FO sees a weak Central and is gunning for a Wild Card type of team again. Probably still the best team in the Central even with the subpar offense.

If things go south with the team that they start the year off with, they will call up Carlson to get the hype back up and fill more seats.